The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 05-31-2022, 11:30 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Joe Quesada Exits Marvel Comics

Quote:
Long time Marvel Comics executive and former editor-in-chief Joe Quesada, who has held the title of executive vice president and creative director of Marvel Entertainment since 2019, has retired from Marvel effective June 1 after a career spanning more than 30 years in which Quesada rose from freelance artist to one of the longest-tenured executives in the publisher's history.

Quesada released a public statement to his social media accounts(opens in new tab) detailing his departure from the publisher and thanking his many collaborators for their years of hard work.

"In August of 2000, Marvel took a shot on me, entrusted me with the keys to the Universe, and has been my biggest supporter ever since," reads Quesada's statement in part. "During that time, I've had the great fortune to stand on the shoulders of giants, none broader than those of my predecessors and mentors, the best editorial team in the business, my coworking family, and the most talented creators on earth who put their trust in me, especially in the early days when it looked like I was selling tickets on the Titanic."

"Thank you ALL for sharing your talents and pouring your heart and soul into every project. It's been an honor working with you, and I hope we get to do it all again," Quesada states.

Quesada's first Marvel work came in 1991 with a story in the humorous comic What The–!? #13, followed by 1992's Sleepwalker #12. This led to Quesada's first full arc as artist on X-Factor #87-90.

In 1998, Quesada managed to land his first executive title at Marvel Comics as editor-in-chief of the newly created Marvel Knights line, Quesada's own brainchild which re-introduced characters such as Doctor Strange, Daredevil, the Inhumans, and others, along with introducing Black Widow Yelena Belova in a series of titles focused on a darker edged, slightly more mature take on classic Marvel heroes.

Marvel Knights caught on like wildfire, with Quesada himself providing art, and occasionally writing, for the line's flagship Daredevil title. The line proved so successful that Quesada was promoted to the role of overall Marvel Comics editor-in-chief, bringing the more mature storytelling and character-oriented style of Marvel Knights to the publisher's entire line.

Quesada went on to occupy the role of editor-in-chief until 2011, overseeing the successful relaunch of the Avengers and Fantastic Four franchises under the 'Heroes Return' banner, Grant Morrison's revolutionary relaunch of the core X-Men title in the wake of the ultra-popular film, and of course 2006's Civil War(opens in new tab) event, which still has one of the best-selling collected editions of any Marvel story.

During his tenure as editor-in-chief, Quesada also maintained a creative presence in Marvel Comics, drawing the 2007 story Spider-Man: One More Day, and writing its 2010 follow-up Spider-Man: One Moment in Time

Quesada was Marvel Comics' last high-profile creative executive, as his tenure coincided with the advent of the Internet as the dominant marketing force in the comic book industry. He is known for his Cup 'o Joe convention panels, was a frequent interview in the early 2000s, and for two years participated in a weekly feature at Newsarama called Joe Fridays, in which he'd answer questions from our editorial staff along with a selection of curated questions from readers.

In 2010, near the end of his tenure as editor-in-chief, Quesada also took on the role of chief creative officer for Marvel Comics, which he maintained long after passing the torch as editor-in-chief to Axel Alonso in 2011. During this time, Quesada became an ever-present face for Marvel, with regular convention appearances, stints as a Marvel-focused columnist and commentator, and of course his later reputation as Marvel's resident interviewer for popular creators and even actors, including Charlie Cox and the legendary Stan Lee. Quesada also continued to create covers and occasional interior art for Marvel as recently as 2018.

In 2019, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige took on the role of chief creative officer for all of Marvel Entertainment, Marvel Comics included, with Quesada transitioning into his most recent role as executive vice president and creative director of Marvel Entertainment. 2019 also further cemented Quesada's informal role as the face of Marvel Comics with his Youtube show Marvel's Storyboards, in which Quesada interviewed numerous actors, athletes, and other entertainers about their personal stories.

Despite Quesada's departure from Marvel, he states that he'll continue to occasionally contribute to the publisher, including in an upcoming unannounced project that he's teased several times. Additionally, Quesada promises further creative projects, including a short film that he is writing and directing.
https://www.gamesradar.com/joe-quesada-exits-marvel/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 12:45 PM   #2
Fozzy Badfeet
Random Punk

Hopefully this means that MJ and Peter can finally be together and that Peter can grow up.
Fozzy Badfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 12:55 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy Badfeet View Post
Hopefully this means that MJ and Peter can finally be together and that Peter can grow up.
Remember how much better DC comics was after Dan Didio left?

Me neither. I'm sure this will be great.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 01:04 PM   #4
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Yeah, exactly.

I hated Didio, and also hated Quesada. But it's the entire industry that's crooked now. I doubt this changes anything. They're too cowardly to be truly innovative anyway.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 01:07 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
Yeah, exactly.

I hated Didio, and also hated Quesada. But it's the entire industry that's crooked now.
I would dream of the day Didio would be fired. Geoff Johns, too. But yes, everyone they've let into their ranks is horrible and infinitely worse.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:25 PM   #6
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I would dream of the day Didio would be fired. Geoff Johns, too. But yes, everyone they've let into their ranks is horrible and infinitely worse.
The industry is full of Didios and Quesadas, and worse than them, sadly.

And honestly? Let's say we get some idealist in that wants to make 'sweeping changes' to Marvel/DC. What...can be done to fix comics? Another reboot? Starting from absolute scratch? More events? Less events?
Old 05-31-2022, 01:28 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
The industry is full of Didios and Quesadas, and worse than them, sadly.

And honestly? Let's say we get some idealist in that wants to make 'sweeping changes' to Marvel/DC. What...can be done to fix comics? Another reboot? Starting from absolute scratch? More events? Less events?
For DC, pretty simple. Restore everything back to right after "Brightest Day." That's it. They were on a high, all of the characters and teams were positioned perfectly to move forward and nothing that came afterward story-wise is consistent or worth keeping anyway. Read also: horrible. I don't care if so-or-so wrote a couple of OK Batman comics in 2020. Torch it all.

Of course, to make this not suck like right after it would need to involve firing almost everybody over there.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:32 PM   #8
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
For DC, pretty simple. Restore everything back to right after "Brightest Day." That's it. They were on a high, all of the characters and teams were positioned perfectly to move forward and nothing that came afterward story-wise is consistent or worth keeping anyway.
I don't disagree with you. In fact, I've been whining to my husband that DC was at its best at that point in time, and I miss that status quo (I mean, I might even go a little further back than Brightest Day even, but meh, I'll still say this is the last good 'era' for DC).

But...

As you said, they don't have the talent for that. They won't have the patience to coordinate the continuity either. They'd need to be on the absolute same page across dozens of different titles, and they'd need to restrain their writers from doing too many goofy or dumb things with the characters.

I just don't see it happening realistically. Ever.

Like, if ANYTHING, it'd be more likely that they just scrap everything save for their 'biggest name' heroes then start from absolute scratch than for them to reset to right after Brightest Day.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:44 PM   #9
neatoman
Emperor

So can Marvel characters finally smoke tobacco again? He's the one who kept that from happening, right?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 02:46 PM   #10
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
So can Marvel characters finally smoke tobacco again? He's the one who kept that from happening, right?
It was him.

But nah, they ain't gonna smoke again. Disney's not going to allow that.
Old 05-31-2022, 03:58 PM   #11
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
It was him.

But nah, they ain't gonna smoke again. Disney's not going to allow that.
And here I was hoping for a big issue that was nothing but JJJ and Wolverine smoking cigars in celebration...
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:21 PM   #12
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
And here I was hoping for a big issue that was nothing but JJJ and Wolverine smoking cigars in celebration...
Sorry to disappoint, man. If I was in charge, I'd stick big ole cigars in their mouths.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:23 AM   #13
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:

I have this love hate relationship with Joe Quesada. I love his artistic talent, I love his ability to get even more creativity out of already creative people. I hate his point of views on certain characters in the Marvel stable (i.e. if he doesn't like them then they are worthless, yet he can't "creatively" find a way to make them better), and I hate that a lot of the SJW replacement-character theory at Marvel actually began with his tenure years ago before doing that was a "brand".

At this point I honestly believe that his leaving will have zero impact on Marvel, be it good or bad.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:13 PM   #14
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint, man. If I was in charge, I'd stick big ole cigars in their mouths.
This is actually one thing I agree with regarding Quesada. You don't want these characters, heroes to us, reduced to physically damaging and reckless habits.

Of course, heroes should not make deals with Satan either, but that's a whole other kettle of fish....
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:15 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I love his artistic talent
Yeah. You ever seen "Sword of Azrael"? Incredible.
Old 06-01-2022, 03:35 PM   #16
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
You don't want these characters, heroes to us, reduced to physically damaging and reckless habits.
I'm a pretty staunch anti-smoker, but Wolverine cannot physically damage himself by smoking, and J. Jonah Jameson shouldn't be anyone's "hero".

I'm okay with fictional characters having flaws even if those flaws are things I'm not at all in favor of in Real Life. I think it's ridiculous that the goddamn Penguin can't even have a cigar or cigarette holder anymore because "Think of the CHILDREN!" They got Harley Quinn inhaling coke in a movie and nobody bats an eye; in fact, they play it for laughs, which is a ridiculous double-standard.
------------

And yeah, as far as DC goes, in a perfect world everything should go right back to "Brightest Day" like everything since was just a bad dream. Most of those storylines never even got finished. I wasn't in love with every single creative choice but it was way better than everything since.
--------------

I have nothing to say about Quesada since I don't read Marvel. Always sounded like a smug prick, but I agree that it's highly unlikely any regime change will "fix" whatever issues are going on over there. As pointed out, DiDio leaving didn't help DC one bit. The problems with the industry are systemic, and far bigger than any EIC.

Until comics "just" get back to telling super-hero stories again, instead of force-feeding people a bunch of "identity politics" crap nobody cares about, nothing's ever gonna be any good. And that's not gonna happen, ever.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 03:47 PM   #17
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Yeah. You ever seen "Sword of Azrael"? Incredible.
Yeah - bought it off the racks as it came out back in the day! And his work on The Ray too!
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote