The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-16-2018, 10:27 AM   #1501
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
I love the message it's hammering home ("Let the past die.") but I hate the story it tells to say it. I think it's a poor choice to choose the second movie of a trilogy to take that stance.
I'd mind it a lot less if they bothered to make the present interesting, compelling, or at least coherent first.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:51 AM   #1502
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'd mind it a lot less if they bothered to make the present interesting, compelling, or at least coherent first.
Careful, people will start claiming you hate women next.
It's the new disease that's hitting the internet.

Or at least stop referring to the very thing they think should die, because it's the past. hypocritical line at best. Everything they DO is a call back to episode 4, I.e. the past.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:35 PM   #1503
raph27
Mad Scientist

I'm almost afraid to watch it again. Loved it in theaters, but now looking back there's a lot I've changed my mind about and I feel like I might hate it on a second viewing.

I'm still standing firm that Luke's storyline was great. All the talk about "assassination of character"... I can see where they're coming from I guess, and maybe it's because I was always more of a Han fan, but this movie expanded on Luke in ways that were plausible and frankly made him a lot more interesting to me than the deux ex machina super warlord it seems some fans wanted.

Rey is just meh for me. I hope something interesting happens with her character in IX. Right now she just isn't connecting with me. Same goes for Poe. He was almost a side character in TFA, then this movie tried to make him more important, but it still didn't seem to do enough. Honestly the most interesting new character is Ben.

The whole scene at the end with Finn and Rose and the speeders was just bad. Flat out bad. I won't even try and defend it.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #1504
sdp
-

I left my first view of The Force Awakens confused, even though I had loved it I didn't feel crazy excited after leaving the cinema. On my way home I realized I did not like it and was only fooling myself into it but I wasn't sure. I re-watched it again a few weeks later only to realize I disliked the movie. I did not feel like watching it before watching The Last Jedi.

With Rogue One, I felt it was unecessary but an ok movie, I don't really feel like re-watching it ever again.

With this The Last Jedi I knew I disliked it and don't feel like I want to watch it again.

I'm sure before Episode IX comes out I'll either rewatch all 8 films before it or if I'm really not in the SW mood just force myself to watch 7/8 to at least see if it has some coherence between this sequel trilogy.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:19 PM   #1505
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Beautifully formulated.
Saved to my personal notebook of pretty thoughts.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:02 AM   #1506
Vegita-San
Emperor

yep. no contradictions here.

my god, all you have to do is think a little about t his mess and boom. it makes ZERO sense. all of it .

Old 03-18-2018, 08:54 AM   #1507
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #1508
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Half the people on these forums can heed this advice.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #1509
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I left my first view of The Force Awakens confused, even though I had loved it I didn't feel crazy excited after leaving the cinema. On my way home I realized I did not like it and was only fooling myself into it but I wasn't sure. I re-watched it again a few weeks later only to realize I disliked the movie. I did not feel like watching it before watching The Last Jedi.

With Rogue One, I felt it was unecessary but an ok movie, I don't really feel like re-watching it ever again.

With this The Last Jedi I knew I disliked it and don't feel like I want to watch it again.

I'm sure before Episode IX comes out I'll either rewatch all 8 films before it or if I'm really not in the SW mood just force myself to watch 7/8 to at least see if it has some coherence between this sequel trilogy.
I remember having liked TFA somewhat, but feeling irritated at Rey's meteoric rise in power, it felt so unnaturally 'quick' and convenient. Luke in the first movie was just in the initial steps of learning to let the Force guide him and learning to 'feel' through the Force, Anakin showed a little power but it was through mild precognition and some quick reflexes. Both had people telling them what the Force was, and both teachers were Jedi Masters. Even then neither student were badass dynamos, and in their second movies both got a hand cut off for thinking they were hot stuff. Rey ends up beating a highly trained Force user, second movie ends up beating Luke and Snoke's personal guards, and has Yoda declare she doesn't need to learn anything more.

I didn't like Rey. It's not because she's a woman (I'm a woman too) it's because she is what ersatz feminism looks like, a cheap character that is overpowered and underdeveloped and pushes easy buttons for 'wow' while ultimately disrespecting what feminism stands for . She is not put through the learning process and initial weakness that the men are, or have severe setbacks like having one's hand chopped off. That is not true equality. True equality is not treating your female characters like fragile glass or expecting your female audience to faint at hard parts in this character's journey. I think this Rey character was designed to not need honest to God 'icky bits' in her story, because I wonder if the corporate office thinks women couldn't handle her getting scarred or her having a hand chopped off.

I think the only way a dissenter could preserve their love of Star Wars at this point is to disregard these new movies as 'canon,' although keeping whatever bits and pieces one did enjoy in the new movies as much as possible. It's what I learned over the years, even as you get the rabid fans that insist everything 'must' be canon and the franchise heading into the direction of suck.

Last edited by Metalwolf; 03-18-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:52 PM   #1510
Vegita-San
Emperor

Considering some women are AFRAID to stand up against movies like this. or are Afraid to dislike movies like Black Panther because people will thinkthey are this or that and all these other things.. I make it a point to say thank you for being b rave enough to say the truth.

The more people do, maybe the more hollywood will realize their 'fake feminism' message isn't selling and it's driving people away. If they really care about the bottom line, they'll get back to what works and leave their preaching at the door. But somehow I doubt it.

Even The Flash isn't safe from this nonsense. I had a back log of episodes from October to watch, and the first one was that stupid femenism episode. they actually SAID 'Hashtag Feminism' like they where hoping it'd get trending on twitter. take that crap out of the episode and it would have been pretty cool.

sigh.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #1511
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Considering some women are AFRAID to stand up against movies like this. or are Afraid to dislike movies like Black Panther because people will thinkthey are this or that and all these other things.. I make it a point to say thank you for being b rave enough to say the truth.

The more people do, maybe the more hollywood will realize their 'fake feminism' message isn't selling and it's driving people away. If they really care about the bottom line, they'll get back to what works and leave their preaching at the door. But somehow I doubt it.

Even The Flash isn't safe from this nonsense. I had a back log of episodes from October to watch, and the first one was that stupid femenism episode. they actually SAID 'Hashtag Feminism' like they where hoping it'd get trending on twitter. take that crap out of the episode and it would have been pretty cool.

sigh.
Well, I've seen plenty of women Youtubers loudly criticise this movie, along with many Black Youtubers unabashedly calling Finn a 'Step-n-Fetchit' character. So I don't think the fear is there. I think it's more like people quietly turning away from Star Wars, and not bothering to voice their opinion, or the fact that Kathleen Kennedy and Daisy Ridley like to call people sexist for not liking the (very badly written) women characters.

It also doesn't help that this movie has it's legion of rabid fans, and they won't hesitate to tell you how you aren't 'getting it' somehow and that you need to watch it more to get a second opinion. No matter that China dropped it early on, and that Rotten Tomatoes showed an abysmal rating from anyone who wasn't a paid movie critic.

So people barely bother, and I don't blame them. The producers are in la la land and few critics want to be hounded by rabid fans. Youtubers don't mind the negativity, but then they are used to clearing out reams of butthurt from their comment section.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:05 PM   #1512
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalwolf View Post
I think the only way a dissenter could preserve their love of Star Wars at this point is to disregard these new movies as 'canon,' although keeping whatever bits and pieces one did enjoy in the new movies as much as possible. It's what I learned over the years, even as you get the rabid fans that insist everything 'must' be canon and the franchise heading into the direction of suck.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Transformative Fandom.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-19-2018, 06:30 AM   #1513
Vegita-San
Emperor

well, at least people are getting braver, and less scared of a plastron like rebuke .

I didn't know Daisy Ridley was also going the feminist route. Well, like Benoist before her, cuteness just went totally out the window. sigh.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:05 AM   #1514
plastroncafe

OrSo this whole time people were being quiet about things that didn't work for them because they were afraid I was going to invite them to the wonderful world of transformative fandom?

No need to be nervous, fanbros!
I understand that conservation fandom is a calling, but there is absolutely nothing to be a feared. Come over to the transformative fandom side of things, we have all the good smut.

Which means that they'll be at least one other person out there who actually does care about your boner.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-19-2018, 08:06 AM   #1515
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
OrSo this whole time people were being quiet about things that didn't work for them because they were afraid I was going to invite them to the wonderful world of transformative fandom?
Not really. What I mean is the dogpiling that occurs and the insistent posts that don't ever agree to disagree. Plus it's not just the initial unhappy fan that stops bothering, it's the other people that would have posted their opinions on the movie that see how others are treated, so they don't bother to wade into that lion's den.

For this movie, while we might be (slowly) moving past the era of the damsel in distress and the giggling bimbo who jiggles her tits, we're moving into the era where movie producers think women are 'content' with a poorly written Mary Sue. It's still patronizing, but at a whole different angle.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #1516
plastroncafe

I think it's debatable that Rey is a Sue, poorly written or not.
But that's a great debate to have, and it's kind of exciting to be able to even have that debate at all.

But I totally agree that there are segments of the powers-that-be that think a bechdel pass suddenly makes their movie, or their portrayal of female characters, suddenly not dreck.

I just find it interesting what this board picks and chooses as acceptable minority opinions.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #1517
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalwolf View Post
Not really. What I mean is the dogpiling that occurs and the insistent posts that don't ever agree to disagree. Plus it's not just the initial unhappy fan that stops bothering, it's the other people that would have posted their opinions on the movie that see how others are treated, so they don't bother to wade into that lion's den.

For this movie, while we might be (slowly) moving past the era of the damsel in distress and the giggling bimbo who jiggles her tits, we're moving into the era where movie producers think women are 'content' with a poorly written Mary Sue. It's still patronizing, but at a whole different angle.
Last part, I thought we've LONG since moved past that part. almost since the era of Princess Leia and Ripley. although granted there was still a little of it hanging around in the form of the likes of kelly bundy.

For the former.... exactly.

People refuse to ignore those they disagree with, and have to either trash them, or constantly harrumph anything they say. Other people see that hostility, and boom, avoid it all together. I've had cube on ignore for years and never reply to him. yet I still get told 'what the hell you talkin' about willis' every now and then when i see it in quotes :/.... will never understand that. they are basically talking to thin air.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #1518
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

The deleted scenes greatly improve certain things.

I hope there's a "special edition" in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:15 PM   #1519
CyberCubed
Overlord

I loved that scene, just watched all the deleted scenes. Finn actually has the most amount of scenes cut for him.

I loved Luke's chuckle there, "You ran so fast." lol.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #1520
Vegita-San
Emperor

I sometimes wonder what career ending goodies a sony level hack on the star wars email server would deliver to fans.

probably everything confirmed and then some.

that pirate raiding scene actually felt like some kind of attempt at character development and should have been left in. but, can't have perfect rey make a mistake, can we?

Tags
notmyskywalker, star wars, subvert expectations, the last sjw