The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 12-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #21
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

I agree with what a guy said about it in an interview I read; the main reason is probably that most people were still kids when it last happened. When you think about it, most fans of these shows are going to be at the age where they think all romance is gross, but they aren't sexually mature enough to find interspecies romance uniquely objectionable. Also because of the young age demographic, there's going to be a limit to how far they will go. It's not like they can show Donatello having sex with April.

Then again...
Konchadunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #22
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I wouldnt mind April falling for one of the Turtles if it were written right. Remember Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run? When he made Swampie's relationship with his love interest public? Something like that would make for engaging comics.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #23
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

I confess I've never read Swamp Thing. Still, it's worth noting that a world containing mutants who are arguably more human than animal would probably have somewhat different ideas of what is or isn't beastial. This world thinks it's gross because no other animal looks or thinks that much like humans. If they did, though, I could definitely see how they could fall in love, despite being different species.

However, I think they should steer away from any extensive plots about how an engaged interspecies couple has to deal with the standards of a society that frowns upon such things. It could make a great SciFi story, but it seems like it would detract from the action, adventure, comedy, and other virutes TMNT is valued for, and it's probably too deep for kids.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:15 AM   #24
stormbringer
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konchadunga View Post
I confess I've never read Swamp Thing. Still, it's worth noting that a world containing mutants who are arguably more human than animal would probably have somewhat different ideas of what is or isn't beastial. This world thinks it's gross because no other animal looks or thinks that much like humans. If they did, though, I could definitely see how they could fall in love, despite being different species.

However, I think they should steer away from any extensive plots about how an engaged interspecies couple has to deal with the standards of a society that frowns upon such things. It could make a great SciFi story, but it seems like it would detract from the action, adventure, comedy, and other virutes TMNT is valued for, and it's probably too deep for kids.
Yeah, a storyline like that would probably be handled better in the comics.
stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:48 AM   #25
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
It could make a great SciFi story, but it seems like it would detract from the action, adventure, comedy, and other virutes TMNT is valued for, and it's probably too deep for kids.

I take it you never watched Gargoyles...
Old 12-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #26
nintendo2600
Thug

Thumbs down

I don't think it's a good idea. Myself I'm not into the whole beastiality bit finding it's way into the TMNT storyline. As "harmless" as they might try to make it in my opinion it has no place.
nintendo2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #27
stormbringer
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I take it you never watched Gargoyles...
Gargoyles is a good example of how it could be done well, but I'm not sure this show will want the kind of storytelling that Gargoyles had. That show was pretty much a primetime drama in animated form.
stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #28
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

I think this show is probably skewing a bit younger than Gargoyles did, and Gargoyles also has the benefit of being it's own entity. TMNT is the sort of franchise that will always judged by how well it fills the shoes of past incarnations. With the large amount of different past incarnations, it certainly has a number of options, but it always has to live up to at least one of them, and many would like it to live up to more.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #29
Hermano Dyvas
Hench Mutant

TMNT and April should never go beyond friendship. Anything beyond that would just be horrifying.
Hermano Dyvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:34 AM   #30
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterycolor View Post
you had to take it there huh jester.
You knew someone would. I was thinking "Twilight" myself.

I don't see anything wrong with the Turtles having a crush on April. Odds are the writers aren't going to take it too far, and since the Turtles display so many emotions, I can buy that they would have feelings for April if she was around them all the time, even if it was implausible due to species differences. I think everyone can remember back when they were a teenager, and had a crush on someone that you never had a chance with. Well this would be a really strange version of that.
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #31
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermano Dyvas View Post
TMNT and April should never go beyond friendship. Anything beyond that would just be horrifying.
Fifty bucks says you'd like it if it were handled correctly. The fear of the unknown is a lot worse.

I think you'll see it happen one day, in the comics or on tv because It's one of the only dramatic touchstones left to tell with the characters, I don't think they can be billed as "teenagers" and NOT go through something a lot of teenagers reasonably go through. April also needs more dimension, hooking up with Casey is nice, but it seems too obvious, we don't know what it'd be like with a Turtle, hell the people who say it's horrific or disgusting usually make for good antagonists in fiction.

Marrisa Faireborn spent a whole TF series kissing Optimus Prime, Jessica Rabbit fell for Roger, nothing in fiction says "this cannot happen". All things, good, bad, and ugly, eventually find a way to manifest themselves.

I used to be in the same boat as everyone else "Eww, it's disgusting, eww it's just stupid", but the more I think about it, the more I dabble in the many forms of a love story (which don't have to neccersarily be about sex), the more sense it makes for characters to experiment.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #32
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
All things, good, bad, and ugly, eventually find a way to manifest themselves.
Also, speaking of bad and ugly things manifesting, I'd much rather a turtle fall for April than some crappy fancharacter like Venus. (Because let's face it; that's effectively what she is.). April has been the fanservice character since the 1987 series, and in the 2003 series she and Donatello definitely hit it off.

I also have no problem pairing Mikey with Kala, Raphael with Mona Lisa, and Leo with Karai, and so far Donatello has never really had a romantic interest. I'm not bothered by the possible subversion of her getting with Casey either; differences are what make new adaptations worth watching. I liked seeing Kid Flash get with Jinx in the Teen Titans cartoon or Superboy get with Ms. Martian in the Young Justice cartoon. They're flawed shows and rather inacurate to the comics, but I like them a lot better than the dreary route the comics have taken recently.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #33
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
I also have no problem pairing Mikey with Kala, Raphael with Mona Lisa, and Leo with Karai, and so far Donatello has never really had a romantic interest.

What about Donatello x Irma from the OT series.

That aside, I think people may have a prob with this crush thing because it has already been stated that Donny will crush on April as opposed to just hinting around to it and having it open to speculation. Another problem some might have is April being a peer this time as opposed to an older sister or aunt like figure like in pretty much every other version of the series. We know it's not happening, but I guess some are worried that the writers might try to truly imply something with the two beyond friendship or have the feelings mutual or something.

As for me...I don't have too much of a prob with one of them crushing on her...just as long as it stays a one-sided crush on Donny's side (which by the sounds of it, it will). I think going through that would make him an even more interesting character given that he's serious and seeing how he has to subtly deal with it, in a comedic way of course, will be cool to see.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:12 PM   #34
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

Question

But here's an important thing to ask yourself: Would you be saying the same thing if it was Casey Jones crushing on April? Were you annoyed that it was reciprocal in the 2003 show, and they eventually married? If you answer no to any of these questions, then the only logical reason is that Donatello isn't human.

Contrary to what you say, their young age is not a factor in making it taboo, because they're both minors and minors do fall in love in real life. True; it often doesn't last in that form, but that doesn't mean it's one-sided while it does. Opposition to the idea of a human/mutant relationship strikes me as very akin to homophobia. No offense to people who express such opposition, but many times this expression is in the form of "Ew; gross." You can think an atypical romance is gross all you want, but that doesn't make it any less real.

So while I don't want Nick to make such a romance a huge part of their show, having it be there at all could teach young viewers to be tolerant of people who lead lives with aspects they might find distasteful. I've heard that one of the turtle's actors from the Old Toon is gay. I bet, however; that kids who saw him as one of their heroes wouldn't stop seeing him as such upon learning that, even if they had homophobic prejudice; instead they would likely rethink their prejudice. Yet his homosexuality was never really publicized. Here they could go further.

Last edited by Konchadunga; 12-26-2011 at 03:30 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:39 AM   #35
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
But here's an important thing to ask yourself: Would you be saying the same thing if it was Casey Jones crushing on April? Were you annoyed that it was reciprocal in the 2003 show, and they eventually married? If you answer no to any of these questions, then the only logical reason is that Donatello isn't human.
I didn't know that Casey and April married in the 2k3 series. I've never seen it. Like I've said on other parts of the board, the series seemed to sneak under the radar for me. That aside, April and Casey hooking up is no biggie at all to me, since that's how it was for the comics. I also thought that it was obvious that that's probably another factor why people wouldn't want Donny to crush on April or have it open and set in stone that he will...because he isn't human.
Quote:
Contrary to what you say, their young age is not a factor in making it taboo, because they're both minors and minors do fall in love in real life. True; it often doesn't last in that form, but that doesn't mean it's one-sided while it does. Opposition to the idea of a human/mutant relationship strikes me as very akin to homophobia. No offense to people who express such opposition, but many times this expression is in the form of "Ew; gross." You can think an atypical romance is gross all you want, but that doesn't make it any less real.
I don't see how you can really compare a homosexual relationship to a cross-species one. There's nothing wrong with homosexuality...going with another species, is a bit odd to me. I don't mind the crush thing, but for it to go beyond that is iffy to me....but yes, I am a bit of a hypocrite as I loved Raphael x Ninjara in the Archie comics.

Oh, as for the minor thing, I only said it'd be easier for them to have the opportunity to fall for her because she'd be on their level as opposed to a sisterly figure or a motherly one, like in previous versions and mediums where she was an adult doing her own thing and living out her adult life. As their peer, she'd probably hang around with them more.
Quote:
So while I don't want Nick to make such a romance a huge part of their show, having it be there at all could teach young viewers to be tolerant of people who lead lives with aspects they might find distasteful.
You can do that without romance, you know. You can teach that we should be tolerant and respectful of all people in a general sense, not just for romance reasons. People would have to learn that about the Turtles way before romance stuff. That aside, I would hate for the show to have a lot of romance in it, unless it dealt with minor characters. Romance, in an action-based series, seems to drag the series down when involving main characters unless it's a main character with a minor character.
Quote:
I've heard that one of the turtle's actors from the Old Toon is gay. I bet, however; that kids who saw him as one of their heroes wouldn't stop seeing him as such upon learning that, even if they had homophobic prejudice; instead they would likely rethink their prejudice. Yet his homosexuality was never really publicized. Here they could go further.
Cam Clarke is the gay one who voiced Leonardo and I personally loved his voicing of Leonardo (especially early Leonardo where he sounded really heroic). I kinda disagree with all you said up there, though. Maybe back then where it was rare to see or hear about gay people in a general sense, yeah, but not now. People are more open to it now and also have more exposure to it and knowledge of it. As for myself, I wouldn't have cared one way or the other. I didn't find out about Cam until I was an adult.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #36
Stingray69
Stone Warrior

I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like there going to explore a sexual relationship between the two.
Stingray69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #37
gobo
Wacky Action

Well, darn.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:55 AM   #38
Vegeta
Hench Mutant

April's hot, the tmnt are similar to humans, and turtles have sexual needs. Why is it a surprise they would want to bone April? What else should they be attracted to, non mutant female turtles?
Old 12-27-2011, 02:37 AM   #39
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

This just reaffirms my earlier arguements: You can't just apply our world's logic to that of the TMNT. It doesn't work because the line between humans and non-human animals is just too thick in our world, hence we call interspecies romance beastiality, but things aren't that cut-and-dried in a world where it seems all chemically-induced motivation produces creatures who are in essence, close to human. Certainly, the mutant turtles have much more in common with athletic humans than normal, slow-moving turtles.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #40
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray69 View Post
I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like there going to explore a sexual relationship between the two.
Exactly, especially since they are really emphasizing the teenage aspect of the series, with the turtles and April being like 13 or 14. If she did have a relationship with one of the turtles I don't think we'd see anything past the occasional holding hands and phone call. I wouldn't mind seeing a Leo and Karai have kind of a Spidey-Black Cat thing dialed down a bit to a 13-14 year old level say in season 3 or so after she has been introduced into the mythos. I don't want any bestial stuff or anything. But I think it can be handled well just as it was in Gargoyles and even as its tackled with Brian dated women in Family Guy.

Tags
cybercubed thinks deep, nick