The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 10-14-2017, 11:13 PM   #21
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

So the nice protected bubble that the internet used to be no longer exists because more people have shown up and created their own nice little protected bubbles.

Okay.

I can't speak to this modern internet phenomenon, but I would say that the internet has changed me for the better.
I've learned more about myself and others in the time since I've started using the web regularly.

Hell, wikipedia is pretty much saving my ass this semester.

But it is true that the more people you invite into a thing the more that thing is going to change. And change isn't always pretty or good.

It's all in what you bring to the table.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:25 PM   #22
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

The internet is like a modern day Tower of Babel.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:26 PM   #23
Wildcat
Foot Elite

This is just another “War on Negativity” topic like the one you made before.

It made you bolder, sarcastic and not caring how others perceive you...but on the internet.

Lowering or having no personal filter because your behind a screen really just ruins your own experience because it’s hard to take seriously online. Well in real life too.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:27 PM   #24
sdp
-

I don't see how the internet has made anything worse for anyone except for big multinational companies that many are still struggling to adapt to the digital era. even decades later.

Tech will continue to evolve and make everything better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
So the nice protected bubble that the internet used to be no longer exists because more people have shown up and created their own nice little protected bubbles.
I don't even know where you would get the idea that was what it was since it wasn't, but exactly the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
The internet is like a modern day Tower of Babel.
That's a great analogy, in the beginning we were all forced to communicate but as time passed everyone began segregating themselves which is not what the internet was ever meant to be. Using language as an excuse countries have restricted access to other "places" of the internet and having their own "local" websites. But it really was just a way for governments to try to control some of the internet that they accidentally let happen without realizing the consequences.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:37 PM   #25
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
That's a great analogy, in the beginning we were all forced to communicate but as time passed everyone began segregating themselves which is not what the internet was ever meant to be. Using language as an excuse countries have restricted access to other "places" of the internet and having their own "local" websites. But it really was just a way for governments to try to control some of the internet that they accidentally let happen without realizing the consequences.
Yep, brings people together yet pushes them apart.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:48 AM   #26
Prowler
Emperor

Tbh, I sometimes miss the internet pre-social media craze. Before facebook and twitter became a global thing you could survive well without the internet, both in a social and professional sense. Just like youtube pre-google buyout had less drama and was more about music videos, watching old tv shows/cartoons/anime and watching longplays of videogames and people trying to become the next AVGN. Hell, many big companies didn't even make youtube accounts until this decade. Youtube wasn't that different from dailymotion or veoh. Except it was way more popular.

That being said, social networks also brought good things. It made it easier for people to connect and network with och other and show off their portfolios, etc.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:31 AM   #27
newfan
Mad Scientist

There will always be pros and cons, the internet has all the positives mentioned on here and used properly is mostly a positive thing, just you'll get the bad too like trolls, people humiliating others or dangerous people preying on the vulnerable for example.

Quote:
- It made it easier for me to talk with people whom I have common interests with. If it wasn't for this place I'd NEVER talk Turtles with anyone;
That for me too, I have a few people who share some the movies and shows I like but not many and no other adults to talk Turtles with.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:30 AM   #28
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
There will always be pros and cons, the internet has all the positives mentioned on here and used properly is mostly a positive thing, just you'll get the bad too like trolls, people humiliating others or dangerous people preying on the vulnerable for example.

That for me too, I have a few people who share some the movies and shows I like but not many and no other adults to talk Turtles with.
I don't know a single Turtles fan irl. For most people I know It's just a distant pop culture reference from their childhood. They all know the "Cowabungaaaaaa!" thing and many have watched the first movie or the cartoons when they were kids over a decade ago and that's it. I doubt I know anyone irl who knows anything Turtles beyond FW and live action movies.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:22 AM   #29
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
I don't even know where you would get the idea that was what it was since it wasn't, but exactly the opposite.
Quote:
What we got was everyone wanting to use this tool without "earning" the understanding of what the internet community was all about and using it to progress their own agendas whether its political or something as vane as attention. Did this not exist before? Of course but there was more of a balance.
What.

PlastronCafe is right in her description.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:42 AM   #30
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
What.

PlastronCafe is right in her description.
The internet used to be a bubble that didn't allow the meshing of ideas?

ok.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:00 PM   #31
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post

just wanted to say thank you to everyone for keeping it mostly on topic so far and positive talk. .

as for meeting tmnt fans, i've met a few in real life, and it was worth it .
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:15 PM   #32
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
The internet used to be a bubble that didn't allow the meshing of ideas?
No.
The Internet used to be a bubble, which allowed to share ideas, but to very few people, compared to how it is nowadays.

Nowadays, it is an ocean with many bubbles.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:11 PM   #33
sdp
-

I'm pretty sure you're not using the definition of bubble that I'm using.
Old 05-29-2021, 01:42 AM   #34
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
No.
The Internet used to be a bubble, which allowed to share ideas, but to very few people, compared to how it is nowadays.

Nowadays, it is an ocean with many bubbles.
More like a toxic abyss.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:56 AM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

The biggest difference with the internet now compared to the early 2000's is everyone pretty much posts in the same social media places and so information is regularly spread.

In early 2000's everyone posted on forums for fansites like this one, so if you never came to a particular forum, you would never "see" that discussion. Meanwhile stuff on twitter, reddit, facebook, etc. is spread everywhere even if you don't visit those places either.

Forums always had niche communities because as said, forum posts are usually not spread from one place to another. Everyone definitely felt more isolated in the early 2000's because people would only posts on a few forums here and there and ignore everything else.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:19 AM   #36
IMJ
Emperor

Modern internet has forced me more onto social media for hobby and sales related things that I used to do primarily on forums.

It seems that everything on the internet is moving towards the "outlet of quickest dissemination". So it used to be internet articles, peer-to-peer forums and websites, but now it's more about short character messaging like Twitter, quick information dumps from YouTube and a whirlpool of various "groups" on social media platforms.

Of all of those, the only one I've embraced and enjoyed completely is Instagram. I do pretty well there for only being there a year.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:45 AM   #37
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
More like a toxic abyss.
The internet in a nutshell:

IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:56 AM   #38
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

The internet changed how I view content, The fact I can view content at my own time, Instead of waiting for it to be on TV.

Also the fact you can find just about anything on the internet.