The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-11-2021, 04:29 PM   #61
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Guys, that animated intro sucks. They took the worst version of the Turtles and made it even worse by turning it in a Powerpuff girls-style cartoon. The characters are also way off-model. I'm not sure why you are all jumping with joy like kids on the Christmas morning, the game is a step in the wrong direction and the intro makes it clear.
We fans should not be happy for new stuff based on that old show, the franchise need to move forward and stop to rely on nostalgia, especially if it is nostalgia for the dumbest version this franchise has ever had!
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 04:42 PM   #62
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Guys, that animated intro sucks. They took the worst version of the Turtles and made it even worse by turning it in a Powerpuff girls-style cartoon. The characters are also way off-model. I'm not sure why you are all jumping with joy like kids on the Christmas morning, the game is a step in the wrong direction and the intro makes it clear.
We fans should not be happy for new stuff based on that old show, the franchise need to move forward and stop to rely on nostalgia, especially if it is nostalgia for the dumbest version this franchise has ever had!
Or we could just let people enjoy people enjoy whatever iteration of the Turtles they want without bashing them. And I say this as someone who didn't even grow up on the 80s cartoon.

On topic, game looks pretty good so far, and the fact they got the people who worked on the Scott Pilgrim game to work on this is a big bonus. Will definitely be purchasing it.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 04:46 PM   #63
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Guys, that animated intro sucks. They took the worst version of the Turtles and made it even worse by turning it in a Powerpuff girls-style cartoon. !
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. Either way, it's an intro made by an indie development studio, not a huge animation studio. Obviously it's not going to look amazing.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:02 PM   #64
frank_one
Mad Scientist

It wasn’t sarcasm Of course I didn’t mean to be be disrespectful to the ones who enjoy the game, the intro or the FW toon. I just say that a game based solely on nostalgia couldn't be the best thing happening to the franchise.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:07 PM   #65
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

There's very little reason to get excited by the prospect of a 14th version of TMNT: The Final Fight clone, even objectively.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:08 PM   #66
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
There's very little reason to get excited by the prospect of a 14th version of TMNT: The Final Fight clone, even objectively.
And yet... I am.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:37 PM   #67
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Fourteen? Let's see:
  1. Arcade game
  2. In Time
  3. Manhattan Project
  4. The Hyperstone Heist
  5. GBA (Not quite that formula though)
  6. Battle Nexus GBA (Not quite)
  7. Mutant Nightmare DS (Not quite)
  8. TMNT GBA
  9. In Time Re-Shelled
  10. Arcade Attack
  11. 2013 (Sort of)

That's eleven games if I include ones that are only loosely similar to Final Fight, six if I take out the ones actually aren't as well as the remake. Which ones am I missing?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:12 PM   #68
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
I'm not sure why you are all jumping with joy like kids on the Christmas morning, the game is a step in the wrong direction and the intro makes it clear.
Because collectively, this entire fanbase is still mentally 8 years old and completely incapable of moving forward. They need their security blanket. That's why they say things like "Only ONE version of this franchise ever worked, we need to embrace that and disregard everything else!" without any irony or self-awareness. They say things like "It's the only version of TMNT that the 'general audience' (read: Non-Fans) cares about anyway!" as if that wasn't terrible. People talk about "the mainstream audience" as if said mainstream audience WEREN'T f*cking morons who don't know or care about TMNT anyway. They watched a few episodes of a cartoon show when they were seven and then abandoned the brand and never looked back. WHY should we even give a f*ck what THEY think? They're the ones saying "TMNT should be stupid because it's ALWAYS been stupid." And that's wrong on multiple levels and shouldn't be rewarded.

I care SO much what the "mainstream audience" likes. I really, really want the things I like to constantly pander to the same "mainstream audience" that made "Fast & The Furious" a 10-movie franchise and gave 80 billion dollars to the Transformers film franchise. That's what's best for everyone.

People who like that show so much should be satisfied re-watching all the episodes which already exist - which should be easy since 90% of them are almost identical anyway.

If the only thing this franchise has left in the tank is wallowing in 80s nostalgia and endlessly repeating "the dumbest version of the franchise" - and I don't even hate the show, but let's just be honest - then f*ck TMNT. Might as well pack it up and shut it down, if we already hit the ceiling in 1987 and that "ceiling" was pizza jokes and "Cowabunga".

A meaningless little downloadable game is one thing. That's pretty harmless fun. A full-blown "revival" of FW? Jesus, God no. Talk about throwing in the towel. I really don't care if TMNT remains an "evergreen" property or even lasts another decade, if the only means of its "survival" is to pander unapologetically to manchildren. If that's the case, Good F*cking Riddance.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:17 PM   #69
CyberCubed
Overlord

I will always be 8 years old. Both in body and spirit. So this game speaks to me.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:30 PM   #70
Galactus
Foot Elite

Even when the '87 show was hot stuff it was hardly the only game in town when it came to TMNT. The 1990 movie was easily just as influential than the animated series if not moreso.

So many concepts that are integral to the franchise that we take for granted were not featured on the show. Things like the turtles and Splinter being a family with the turtles as brothers and Splinter their father was not much a of thing in the show but was a big theme of the movie. That's how the vast majority of people view the characters.

Casey Jones is seen as an essential character to the TMNT story but he's a very rare guest star in the show. It was the movie that made fans think of the character as part of the core characters.

Raphael is seen and the hot head of the group and not just sarcastic like in the cartoon like everything else I've talked about it comes from the comics but was cemented in peoples psyches by the movie. Even something small like the turtles referring to each other by nicknames like Leo and Raph is again popularised by the movie as they never did this in the Fred Wolf show.

So when debating what TMNT should be it's strange we overlook the Steve Barron movie as a basis. It's because it veers closer to those Mirage comics Fred Wolf boosters would rather forget exist.

You could argue every version of TMNT has lost popularity the sillier it gets including the Fred Wolf show itself. It's not like leaning into Fred Wolf show concepts and characters helped Out Of The Shadows even a little bit. It's essentially the 80s cartoon in live action and to this day is the only movie to outright flop.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:53 PM   #71
Leo656
The Franchise

And boy, was I selfishly happy to see THAT go down.

After 30 years of hearing dumb people say, "ALL we need is a TMNT movie with Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady, and to go balls-out Fred Wolf TMNT, and it would set the world on fire and be THA GREATEST THING EVAR!!!111!!!", I confess that watching that movie sh*t the bed both critically and commercially was perversely satisfying.

Like, that's it. Your "magic bullet" didn't work. A lot of that can surely be laid at the feet of how bad the first BayTurtles movie was - you can't grow fruit in poisoned soil, after all - but the fact remains, the same people begging for a FW revival Right Now are the same people who were begging for a FW movie for decades, insisting it would "save" the franchise.

Well, they got what they wanted and it was a colossal failure. Because MOST people actually grew up and moved on from FW about 30 years ago.

How depressing is it to even assume that the brand hit its peak so long ago, and that the ceiling was really THAT low to begin with.

FW - for as much as there is good in it - is the entire reason WHY people insist that TMNT as a whole is "dumb baby sh*t for little kids." If the only future the brand has is basically giving in and admitting defeat, then that's no future at all. "Yeah, you're right, it IS dumb sh*t for little kids, simple things for simple minds." Awesome. Really something to look forward to.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:59 PM   #72
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I also remember how much people around here were excited about the "Re-Shelled" Turtles in Time or whatever. Then -- surprise -- it came out and it didn't make any money, then vanished.

I don't see this doing much better than that.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:09 PM   #73
Leo656
The Franchise

It was okay. I'm glad I bought it, but the stuff the SNES version added over the arcade original still makes it the best version of that game overall, to me. Like yeah the graphics and sound took a hit but the extra levels and Slash more than make up for it.

It was weird that people kinda crap on Re-Shelled, I thought it was fine.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:15 PM   #74
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I think this game is following the footsteps of Rescue-paloza, the fan game that is pretty universally loved. Funny how it takes fans to make something worth a hoot.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:25 PM   #75
CyberCubed
Overlord

This game already has tremendous hype all over videogame forums, twitter, reddit, and Resetera, if it's priced around $19.99 and not too expensive it's going to sell like crazy.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out being the best selling TMNT game since the SNES era.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:00 PM   #76
Leo656
The Franchise

The game as its own thing is rather exciting. I love beat-'em-ups - "dated" and simplistic as they may be; they were still my preferred type of video game for a big chunk of my life - and the art style is a nice touch for sure.

The idea of a full-blown "FW Revival" riding on the back of the game, though, fills me with dread for a ton of reasons. I'm looking forward to the game in and of itself, though. But that's all.

Although I do kinda feel sad that even in gameplay concept and execution, "Let's just go back to what worked 30 years ago" is a little bit disheartening. Like there's no interest in doing anything more substantial with the license as far as video games. No "Arkham"-inspired 3D brawler, no "Injustice"-style fighting game... I know that neither of those things will ever realistically happen, and so it's stupid to even pine for them, but they'd be great to see.

It's just a shame that nobody has any ideas for the brand except "Let's go back in time to 1990", not even as far as designing a video game. This will probably be great for what it aims to be, but I can't help but be left wanting more. In so many ways it feels like "giving up".

Old 03-11-2021, 08:01 PM   #77
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
The peak years of the show are seasons one through three, and then season seven, but there's great episodes here and there throughout the run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Season 2 is good, but I would recommend season 7 for you since you are huge fan of season 1. Season 7 is the closest to the 1st season in tone and style (not counting the European vacation).
Cheers!

Quote:
I just say that a game based solely on nostalgia couldn't be the best thing happening to the franchise.
Quote:
Sonic Mania is a good example of a very successful game based on nostalgia.
This has great potential too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I will always be 8 years old. Both in body and spirit. So this game speaks to me.
I’m imagining you a 30+ y.o. man with an 8 y.o. weenie. Why...
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:16 PM   #78
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
no "Injustice"-style fighting game...
Aren't the Turtles in Injustice?

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:31 PM   #79
Leo656
The Franchise

Yep. But just imagine an entire TMNT game with that control scheme and aesthetic. That would be amazing.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:40 PM   #80
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Yep. But just imagine an entire TMNT game with that control scheme and aesthetic. That would be amazing.
I think I'd prefer KOF, MVC, DBFZ or SamSho as a template for TMNT, I'm not terribly fond of Netherrealm's fighting games in general.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote