The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 04-09-2021, 12:38 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

So for those of you who hit it, how do you cope with turning 40 years old?

I'm thankfully still a number of years away from hitting 40, but with time flying these days I feel like I'm just going to wake up one day and see that dreaded day.

Man, FORTY. Even just saying the number sends shivers down my spine. If "30 is the new 20" than 40 is well...still 40. You can't even "pretend" you're young anymore because by then you're on your way to middle age. Besides that you are now 20+ years older than the young people in their early 20's, and compared to them you'd come across as a "creeper" or old person territory.

I remember when I was 20 and thinking 40+ year olds were ancient. So if I eventually hit that number I know I cannot call myself a young youth anymore. No matter how "hip" I try to be, I would still be officially old. It's extremely weird when you realize you're two decades older now than all the young people growing up these days, when it used to be the other way around when we were the young people.

So how is it? Even just thinking about being 40 one day gives me the heebie jeebies!
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:59 PM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Who says I can't pretend I'm young anymore? lol Even if the "young adult" category ends at 35, you may be surprised how young you still feel at 40, if you aren't aging prematurely.

There's bound to be small things, like maybe the hair color (or quantity for some) and some foods that might not sit so well anymore, but otherwise at this age... still doing well.

Yes, hitting 40 hurt, a good deal more than hitting 30 did. I had a hard time even speaking that number. But you know what? Being 39 and the count down that year actually hurt a lot more than 41 did. And my upcoming next digit this month. I'm not bothered about hitting 42... I'm just bothered by that next decade coming too quickly.

edit: I think I'm most horrified not just by the thought that in 8 years I'll be hitting 50, but at that point 60 is only ten more away. THAT is scary and hard to wrap the mind around. Life really is way too sort. The only comfort is that we never have to do it alone and have a whole generation at the same stage.

I may no longer be among the young adults still considered "kids" by our age group(s), but you never really stop being that kid at heart. (Well, maybe cranky buttheads do, but that's on them.)

The Boomers may have believed they made youth last, but it's our age group of the present 30 and 40-somethings that are probably going to revolutionize old age and retirement homes/communities. Forget the bingo, we'll be having our TMNT movie nights with the old folks, video games that keep us active and engaged, still own beloved parts of the collection (if not all of it), etc. Gen X and younger are probably going to be determined to keep the senior years fun in our own ways.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 04-10-2021 at 11:35 AM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:48 PM   #3
IMJ
Emperor

Lot's of recent studies describing that it's being found that people age in steps. So it gives credibility to literally waking up one day and being older. I guess it's less of an even spectrum and more of an event.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:15 PM   #4
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I'm 35 and I'm still recovering from turning 30
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:10 AM   #5
Storm Eagle
Saved by

I just do.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:06 AM   #6
mrmaczaps
Banned

Smack people upside the head when they say sh¡t like "well, you're old now"... cuz that keeps a person feeling young. Hit 40 a month ago and it feels no different than 39 or 38 or 37. Or any other age really. Age is just a number.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:02 PM   #7
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Been 40 for a while. I mean, nothing's really changed. It's not like I'm gonna go 'holy ****, it's time to toss out all the anime, action figures and comic books! might as well close down my technodrome forums account too!'

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:25 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Have only been 40 a couple of weeks. How do I cope? A few days before it I officially turned it I turned my age to "hidden" on Facebook. That's about it.

Oh, and 40 is old af. There really isn't any getting around it. If I was to say that it isn't, I would be lying.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:58 PM   #9
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Have only been 40 a couple of weeks. How do I cope? A few days before it I officially turned it I turned my age to "hidden" on Facebook. That's about it.

Oh, and 40 is old af. There really isn't any getting around it. If I was to say that it isn't, I would be lying.
LOL! It is by comparison of young people. You think you are young, you feel good, you can go out and run with your dog - all of that BS.

And then somewhere you find yourself in a circle of teenagers or in their early 20's and you realize that you are not young anymore. LMAO!
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:20 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Exactly. Because I do work with people in their early 20s often. I lift weights and run and think I look rather younger, but still... sometimes these guys are like "Let me carry that for you" or so on. Sometimes it doesn't hit me until later on, either!

Conversely, if I only ever interacted with my existing friends from forever that are about the same age... I could probably remain blissfully unaware.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:37 PM   #11
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:37 PM   #12
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Yeah, my friends group ranges from 20s-late 30s, so since they all know me they treat me well, normal.

It's always awkward whenever some random youngster that doesn't know me calls me 'sir' or whatever.

It's gonna suck whenever I get the stage of my life where people are asking me if I need help carrying bags or whatever. Or if people give up their seats for me cause you know, 'let the old guy have the seat'.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:50 PM   #13
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I think you're as young as you feel. People a lot younger than you will see you as ancient, no matter what your actual age is. If you're 12, people in their 20s are too old to "get it." If you just turned 21 and are hitting the clubs, anyone 30 and up is ancient to you. It's always been that way.

But those outside perspectives shouldn't impact how you live your life. People in their 40s/50s/60s don't have to accept that they are old. You're old when you give in and resign to being old. That's a choice.

If you have a health condition past 40, then yeah you probably will feel older a lot sooner. That's unfortunate, and they should still try to live life to the fullest. But if you're in good health, many people can still feel young into their 60s.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:36 PM   #14
Roseangelo
Emperor

I don't know how to break it to you, but if you can't "cope" with being a certain age, you are doing life wrong. Do you just expect people to freak out and panic because of math?

Yes, there are physical differences that come with age, but you generally grow into them slowly and not immediately based on a number.

I will be 42 later this year. I do karate/kickboxing five days a week and am probably in the best shape of my life at the moment. I still have parts that hurt, though. In general, I am doing fine.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:00 AM   #15
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Hey I just turned 40 like 4 months ago, and despite my weight problem I could probably pass for 25-ish. Heck, I used to work with this older woman and she and her husband are in great shape because they they eat right and work out. So really it's all a matter of taking care of yourself.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:10 AM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

I knew you'd make this thread someday

Anyway, I turned 30 in November last year. I still have a long way to go. So best not to think about it. And yes, I realise time goes by faster every year and I'll wake up being 40 before I know it, but come on.

I have struggled with depression on the past few years. So I'm more concerned about more important things than about the fact I'll be 40 in a decade.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:21 AM   #17
Leo656
The Franchise

If Cubed keeps this sh*t up I can promise that he won't have to worry about turning 40.

"CALL IT A HUNCH".

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:24 AM   #18
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
If Cubed keeps this sh*t up I can promise that he won't have to worry about turning 40.

"CALL IT A HUNCH".
Are you saying he deserves the Camel Clutch?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:59 AM   #19
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Still no one in his 50s on the board?
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:09 AM   #20
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Are you saying he deserves the Camel Clutch?
BREAK your BACK, make you HUM-BOL, baba! OLD COUNTRY WAY!

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote