The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 01-21-2021, 04:40 PM   #3361
5523Rich
Random Punk

Looks like the 2 pack restocks are hitting Targets. I picked up the Traag kne this morning in Omaha. They had 4 of each one. Traag, Triceraton, and Zorax sets.
5523Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:25 AM   #3362
LincolnHawk
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
I’m probably in the minority here, but I do not like that the first wave turtles were repaints of the 2016 SDCC Exclusive Arcade Hero Set. Donatello was the best sculpt out of the turtles from that set, but I have never seen him make that face in any of the episodes that I saw. Extra head sculpts for all of the figures would have helped this toy line tremendously.

I love the sculpts used for the undercover turtles. So, I have a very good feeling that this toyline will go out on a good note.
that 2016 had some of the worst QC in terms of painted eyes, NECA was replacing the heads for anyone that received FUBAR'D eyes haha
Old 01-22-2021, 06:52 AM   #3363
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germ View Post
This is good news to hear! I've been checking my targets but nothing yet. Do you happen to know if there finding all of wave 4 or just multiples of the same 2 pack?
They're finding multiples of Traag/Granitor, Triceraton/RR, and the Z/Z pack all in the same store.

I went yesterday and only found more Krang and Splinter/Baxter. I never would have thought there would be a problem with old stock sticking around and blocking new stock, but here we are.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:55 AM   #3364
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I’m probably in the minority here, but I do not like that the first wave turtles were repaints of the 2016 SDCC Exclusive Arcade Hero Set.
Nah, I don't think I've seen a single person disagree with this, and it's been brought up many times here and on Fwoosh. The turtles are the worst figures in this line when it comes to cartoon accuracy (excepting April). They are very obviously repaints of something made prior to the inception of the line and not fresh sculpts made off of the cartoon. They're in bad need of being redone and thankfully, they are.

Otherwise I think this line matches the source material extremely closely. Splinter and Baxter are especially amazing.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:39 AM   #3365
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
Nah, I don't think I've seen a single person disagree with this, and it's been brought up many times here and on Fwoosh. The turtles are the worst figures in this line when it comes to cartoon accuracy (excepting April). They are very obviously repaints of something made prior to the inception of the line and not fresh sculpts made off of the cartoon. They're in bad need of being redone and thankfully, they are.

Otherwise I think this line matches the source material extremely closely. Splinter and Baxter are especially amazing.
Stated perfectly.
I know I am rehasing a bit, but man if they could pull off a sculpt in the style with the beak lines that would be incredible....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:09 AM   #3366
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Stated perfectly.
I know I am rehasing a bit, but man if they could pull off a sculpt in the style with the beak lines that would be incredible....
NECA should make ultimate turtles with sculpts in the style of the miniseries turtles, syndicated series turtles, and both versions of the CBS SATAM show turtles.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:02 AM   #3367
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
NECA should make ultimate turtles with sculpts in the style of the miniseries turtles, syndicated series turtles, and both versions of the CBS SATAM show turtles.
I think Randy mentioned in an interview once that because of the varied arthouses who worked on the FW show that NECA was simply going for that identifiably animated look.

I don't think they failed that by any means at all whatsoever. But I do think that universal look would've gone better simply by packing in some "animated expression heads" along with what is basically the first wave's "Playmates toys expression heads". But with that said, the current "Playmates toys expressions" would've gone over better with highlights from the art direction of the mini-series that introduced the show.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:16 PM   #3368
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

well, that splinter baxter set i got replaced had my baxter with 2 left thighs. i mean it works other than shading.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:12 PM   #3369
Slime State Alumni
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
well, that splinter baxter set i got replaced had my baxter with 2 left thighs. i mean it works other than shading.
I have a Shredder from the Krang/Shredder 2 pack that has a similar issue, two right shins. Great job, NECA!
Old 01-22-2021, 06:11 PM   #3370
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:

NECA’s specialty is making movie toys and collectibles. I don’t have one complaint about their Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles the Movie and Secret Of The Ooze figures. In fact, I’m looking forward to the SOTO and Movie 3 turtles.

It seems like a lazy effort for NECA to build the Target Exclusive 2-Pack toyline (I refuse to call it the cartoon line) from The Arcade Game toyline. Fred Wolf fans deserve better than repaints of figures that NECA TMNT collectors already have. I don’t like the S.H. Figuarts turtles either, but that’s a whole different story.

The undercover turtles are an improvement from their previous offerings. Now NECA needs to redo Shredder and Bebop. The 2019 Shredder looks too much like the Turtles in Time Shredder from last year and the 2019 Bebop is far off from the model of the character used for the miniseries, syndicated series, and CBS SATAM show. A 4-pack with a new Shredder, Krang, Bebop, and Rocksteady would be the ultimate keepsake for shellheads and people who grew up with the classic cartoons, but I have a feeling that NECA will only be producing new characters from here on out.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-22-2021 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:55 PM   #3371
Germ
Foot Soldier

Does anybody know if the heads pop off these figures like regular NECA figures? I've been tempted to try but I don't wanna break 'em.....
Germ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:57 PM   #3372
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
NECA’s specialty is making movie toys and collectibles. I don’t have one complaint about their Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles the Movie and Secret Of The Ooze figures. In fact, I’m looking forward to the SOTO and Movie 3 turtles.

It seems like a lazy effort for NECA to build the Target Exclusive 2-Pack toyline (I refuse to call it the cartoon line) from The Arcade Game toyline. Fred Wolf fans deserve better than repaints of figures that NECA TMNT collectors already have. I don’t like the S.H. Figuarts turtles either, but that’s a whole different story.

The undercover turtles are an improvement from their previous offerings. Now NECA needs to redo Shredder and Bebop. The 2019 Shredder looks too much like the Turtles in Time Shredder from last year and the 2019 Bebop is far off from the model of the character used for the miniseries, syndicated series, and CBS SATAM show. A 4-pack with a new Shredder, Krang, Bebop, and Rocksteady would be the ultimate keepsake for shellheads and people who grew up with the classic cartoons, but I have a feeling that NECA will only be producing new characters from here on out.

There's nothing wrong with the Shredder or Bebop. Sure, the S.H.Figuarts Shredder (the first unveiling when the helmet sat comfy) has more fidelity to the show, but the NECA Shredder is nothing to scoff at. With the exception of some QC issues, NECA has created the definitive FW TMNT line. Almost all of the 40+ figures are spot on. There's a few exceptions, of course. The turtles (as opposed to the punk frogs) are not toon accurate (this will change with the impending launch of the turtles-in-disguise 4 pack, probably a NECA store release) and ...yeah, the April O' Neil (I wouldn't be surprised if a deluxe April is released in 2022 with swappable cat/fish/insect parts and a toon accurate mug) is pretty bad (very strange considering that they've had a significant heads-up from user feedback to fix things). Slash should be the size of Metal Head. The Triceraton tails should not have spikes. Aside from a few nitpicks, the NECA TMNT line is a dream line for fans.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:03 AM   #3373
Germ
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5523Rich View Post
Looks like the 2 pack restocks are hitting Targets. I picked up the Traag kne this morning in Omaha. They had 4 of each one. Traag, Triceraton, and Zorax sets.
Quote:
They're finding multiples of Traag/Granitor, Triceraton/RR, and the Z/Z pack all in the same store.

I went yesterday and only found more Krang and Splinter/Baxter. I never would have thought there would be a problem with old stock sticking around and blocking new stock, but here we are.

thanks for the info guys!
Germ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:28 AM   #3374
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:

You’re just wrong-these are amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
There's nothing wrong with the Shredder or Bebop. Sure, the S.H.Figuarts Shredder (the first unveiling when the helmet sat comfy) has more fidelity to the show, but the NECA Shredder is nothing to scoff at. With the exception of some QC issues, NECA has created the definitive FW TMNT line. Almost all of the 40+ figures are spot on. There's a few exceptions, of course. The turtles (as opposed to the punk frogs) are not toon accurate (this will change with the impending launch of the turtles-in-disguise 4 pack, probably a NECA store release) and ...yeah, the April O' Neil (I wouldn't be surprised if a deluxe April is released in 2022 with swappable cat/fish/insect parts and a toon accurate mug) is pretty bad (very strange considering that they've had a significant heads-up from user feedback to fix things). Slash should be the size of Metal Head. The Triceraton tails should not have spikes. Aside from a few nitpicks, the NECA TMNT line is a dream line for fans.
Exactly-get over it this is what we are gonna get cause 99.99999% of us love what we’re getting. QC is garbage I’ll give you that tho

Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #3375
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coro View Post
You’re just wrong-these are amazing.
Everyone looks at things differently. I’m glad you enjoy the Target 2-Pack figures. I will be waiting patiently for the next company that actually makes a show-accurate TMNT toyline.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:40 AM   #3376
LincolnHawk
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Everyone looks at things differently. I’m glad you enjoy the Target 2-Pack figures. I will be waiting patiently for the next company that actually makes a show-accurate TMNT toyline.
*clapping*
Old 01-23-2021, 12:12 PM   #3377
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnHawk View Post
*clapping*
I prefer the 2017 Super Vinyl Bebop by Blackdots, DUNE, and Yamakichi to the NECA Target 2-Pack Bebop. As for Shredder, there has not been one yet. As a shellhead, I would probably collect the Original Animation Art cels from the early 90s and call it a day. I don’t know if we will ever get cartoon-accurate TMNT figures.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:33 PM   #3378
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Very unlikely that another company will make the toon turtle line and to such an extent within the next decade or so. I bet Tamashii Nations S.H.Figuarts is kicking themselves over the lost opportunity and runaway success of the NECA and Super 7 TMNT product lines. In theory, they were the only folks that could outdo NECA (unless something left field happens and Mafex/Medicom gets the license).

Your opinion is in the minority. B&R were the most coveted figures in the entire TMNT NECA line until the introduction of Rahzar and Tokka. Shredder is also a pretty good representation of the toon and I haven't seen anyone nitpicking on him.

However, you're right, the turtles themselves are not toon accurate. That's why I never purchased them. I am using the Bandai TMNT team as placeholders until I get my hands on NECA's turtles in disguise pack.

Your loss. I remember someone was complaining that they didn't appreciate the Mattel rendition of the Thundercats line-up (it was good while it lasted). They expected that Super 7 or some other company would make superior figures. That day never came. The Super 7 figures use the same Mattel molds with minor tweaks here and there (for better or for worse).
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:02 PM   #3379
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Was able to get the rock solgeirs today and get this the one I returned with a broken foot was on the shelves waiting to be sold again. There's one rock and 2 triceratons at east peoria.
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:06 PM   #3380
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
Shredder is also a pretty good representation of the toon and I haven't seen anyone nitpicking on him.
A while back, a user on here said that 2019 Shredder had too many blades on his metallic shoulder pads and metallic wrist guards. I agree with that poster. The 2019 Shredder isn’t the Shredder from any one of the series to me. I do not the helmet, mouth plate, shading used for his top, shading on the pads, and the black lines used to highlight his muscles.

This toyline just isn’t for me.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-23-2021 at 02:23 PM.