The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 01-14-2021, 09:45 AM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Playmates Turtles and Villians box sets reissues of the same molds again

Turtles

Villains

Old 01-14-2021, 10:05 AM   #2
IMJ
Emperor

100 dollar boxes for addicts. This isn't even completist solicitation anymore.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:29 AM   #3
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Why is the villains set more expensive? Shredder is in the wrong set
$15 or $16 a figure is still a good price nonetheless.

I'm waiting for mikey0 to explain me what the oversized roto heads are about, again.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:39 AM   #4
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Why is the villains set more expensive? Shredder is in the wrong set
$15 or $16 a figure is still a good price nonetheless.

I'm waiting for mikey0 to explain me what the oversized roto heads are about, again.
I was honestly surprised to see Baxter Stockman in the Retro Rotocast Villains Mutant Module Figure Set. The last Baxter reissue came with a trading card and it was sold in the mid 1990s.

Also, the Retro Rotocast Villains Mutant Module Figure Set will be the first box set to have a Slash with an oversized rotocast head!

Unfortunately, collectors with the retro figures will skip the figures from both sets and wait for the box sets to go up for sale in the aftermarket.

Playmates used less plastic to make the heads of the action figures for the exclusive Retro Rotocast Sewer Lair Box Set and Retro Rotocast Villains Mutant Module Figure Set. The oversized heads to the figures weigh less than the hard heads from the very late 80s into the 90s because they were made from a liquid form of plastic that is less expensive to use.

The Krang in the Retro Rotocast Villains Mutant Module Figure Set will be the first Krang in history to have a squishy head.

I wish Playmates would make a MOTU Origins-type TMNT toyline, but I’m happy to see that Playmates is making boxes with adult collectors in mind. Too bad Playmates cannot fill the boxes with reissues of hard-to-find figures from the original toy line.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-14-2021 at 10:50 AM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:52 AM   #5
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Once more, with(out) feeling.

It's just sad at this point.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:56 AM   #6
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

If there’s one time Playmates know how to do, it’s regurgitate the same formula repeatedly until the money dries up, even the money hasn’t come in the first place
Old 01-14-2021, 11:05 AM   #7
frank_one
Mad Scientist

mikey0, these means these are softheads??
Old 01-14-2021, 11:50 AM   #8
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
mikey0, these means these are softheads??
Yes, these are soft heads made from the same material used for some vinyl toys.

Shredder should have been in the Retro Rotocast Villains Mutant Module Figure Set over Slash. I guess it was Playmates bright idea to have adult collectors buy the Retro Rotocast Sewer Lair Figure Set or SDCC 2020 exclusive then the Retro Rotocast Mutant Module Figure Set.

I agree with Pixel Dan. The Original Comic Book Collection box set has been the best box set by far and large. If Playmates is going to cater to adult collectors with reissues, they should, at least, give the figures and accessories new paint jobs and improvements.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-14-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:37 PM   #9
Oculus Orbus
Mad Scientist

I've been meaning to track down some of the original Playmates, but I might just get these instead. I'm glad Playmates is keeping these toys available for those of us that don't necessarily care about owning the vintage ones.

Now, I don't know that I fully comprehend mikey0's explanation about the roto heads (sorry!). When they say oversized, does that mean their heads will be disproportionately big compared to how they were back in the day, like a bobble-head kind of thing? I know the difference would be subtle, but I don't know if that's the case.
Oculus Orbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:05 PM   #10
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oculus Orbus View Post
I've been meaning to track down some of the original Playmates, but I might just get these instead. I'm glad Playmates is keeping these toys available for those of us that don't necessarily care about owning the vintage ones.

Now, I don't know that I fully comprehend mikey0's explanation about the roto heads (sorry!). When they say oversized, does that mean their heads will be disproportionately big compared to how they were back in the day, like a bobble-head kind of thing? I know the difference would be subtle, but I don't know if that's the case.
I have not seen any reviewers do size comparisons between the SDCC 2020 set and the vintage figures. I imagine the heads are 1/16th more than 1 inch.

There are some great pictures of the SDCC 2020 retro rotocast 6-piece action figure set in this auction on the Bay: https://www.ebay.com/i/193755043350?...MaArsFEALw_wcB

Last edited by mikey0; 01-14-2021 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:24 PM   #11
Walkabout
Stone Warrior

Let me get a couple of things straight here...

A) "oversized roto heads" is a selling point?

B) will this version of Raph and Leo be that off colour again?

I might consider getting a villains box purely for the Foot Soldier and accessories.
Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:42 PM   #12
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
Let me get a couple of things straight here...

A) "oversized roto heads" is a selling point?

B) will this version of Raph and Leo be that off colour again?

I might consider getting a villains box purely for the Foot Soldier and accessories.
A) That is correct. The oversized rotocast heads are what sets apart these box set figures from most of the originals. These are hollow like the fan club form figures from mid 1988.

B) Sadly, this basic Raph and Leo will not be all that different from the Classic Collection Retro set figures, Gamestop exclusive Classic 1988 Action Figure 4 Pack, and SDCC 2020 exclusive. The best basic Raph and Leo reissues were released in the 90s and late 2000s (25th Anniversary Edition).

Getting the Retro Rotocast Villains Mutant Module Figure Set for the Foot Soldier and accessories is a good idea. Make sure you store those rotocast figures in a cool environment because all six figures are soft heads. You want the plastic to harden and the oversized heads not to shrink.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-14-2021 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:14 PM   #13
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
Once more, with(out) feeling.

It's just sad at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Turtle Terminator View Post
If there’s one time Playmates know how to do, it’s regurgitate the same formula repeatedly until the money dries up, even the money hasn’t come in the first place
Everytime an addict... errr... fan buys these things they are enabling the market on them.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:28 PM   #14
indy1936
Random Punk

I still don't follow the over-sized roto heads. I understand the material and how roto-casting works but what is the purpose of making the heads appear to be slightly larger than vintage? Why not make their heads the same size as the original soft head release? These slightly larger heads almost seem like a failed attempt at making new soft-head releases. Like Playmates tried to match the original release but the heads somehow came out a bit too large? Kind of like the failed Mattel attempt with the commemorative MOTU figures in 2000 where the heads were soft but less detailed/deformed/wrong size. I could see the appeal if they were an exact match size wise to vintage soft heads. It's like these heads are too big but only slightly. None of the sdcc 2020 set reviewer videos I've seen comment on the heads being larger than vintage. But you can see it in the videos. Especially on Mike and Don.

Last edited by indy1936; 01-14-2021 at 03:33 PM.
indy1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:42 PM   #15
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
There are some great pictures of the SDCC 2020 retro rotocast 6-piece action figure set in this auction on the Bay: https://www.ebay.com/i/193755043350?...MaArsFEALw_wcB
Thank you. I can definitely see the bigger heads now. They look wrong, not sure to understand what Playmates is aiming at.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:58 PM   #16
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy1936 View Post
I still don't follow the over-sized roto heads. I understand the material and how roto-casting works but what is the purpose of making the heads appear to be slightly larger than vintage? Why not make their heads the same size as the original soft head release? These slightly larger heads almost seem like a failed attempt at making new soft-head releases. Like Playmates tried to match the original release but the heads somehow came out a bit too large? Kind of like the failed Mattel attempt with the commemorative MOTU figures in 2000 where the heads were soft but less detailed/deformed/wrong size. I could see the appeal if they were an exact match size wise to vintage soft heads. It's like these heads are too big but only slightly. None of the sdcc 2020 set reviewer videos I've seen comment on the heads being larger than vintage. But you can see it in the videos. Especially on Mike and Don.
Playmates lost some money after the Rise of the TMNT, Ben 10, and Power Players toylines bombed. The oversized rotocast heads are cheaper to make. I miss the 2013 to 2016 Classic Collection Retro figures and GameStop exclusive Classic 1988 Action Figure 4 Pack from 2019 already. I hope the Movie Star Collection box set does not have figures with oversized roto heads in it.

Quote:
Thank you. I can definitely see the bigger heads now. They look wrong, not sure to understand what Playmates is aiming at.
You’re more than welcome, frank_one. I’m with you, the roto heads are off (especially Leonardo). The rubber heads are too big. All six figures look like bootlegs of the originals.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-14-2021 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:04 PM   #17
cloud
Stone Warrior

I didn't get the SDCC box set so this is good news for me.
Going to see if my comic store can place an order for these sets.
I don't have much attachment to reproduction of the vintage figures. I'll be happy with these 2 box sets.

They might get some more purchases from me if they do a box set of Toon Turtles and storage shell Turtles.
I love the storage shell sculpts.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:06 PM   #18
cloud
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy1936 View Post
I think to be consistent with this retro re-releases and possibly as mentioned cost a bit less. But depending on the material, maybe fun to have something slightly different than the vintage toy
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:10 PM   #19
Oculus Orbus
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
The oversized rotocast heads are cheaper to make.
I get that rotocast soft plastic heads are cheaper to make, but why oversized?
Oculus Orbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:20 PM   #20
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oculus Orbus View Post
I get that rotocast soft plastic heads are cheaper to make, but why oversized?
Something must have happened to the original head molds from the 80s and 90s in late 2019 or 2020. I believe Playmates tried to make up for the deteriorating heads molds by making new larger ones.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-14-2021 at 04:26 PM.