The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 05-07-2022, 05:28 PM   #41
Leo656
The Franchise

We did play it in gym class, but in America a lot of kids' parents work and so at a lot of schools they have After-School Activities sports programs to give kids something to do until 5pm so they don't have to go home to an empty house. Although a lot of kids would sign up anyway just because it was fun. At my elementary and middle schools most kids signed up regardless of whether or not they had parents at home. You got to hang out with your friends for a little longer and you got to run around and have fun. No real downside to it.

They'd have a rotating cycle of various sports throughout the school year. Basketball, hand ball, dodgeball, kickball, field hockey, soccer, volleyball... little of everything.

They didn't do the trophy thing every year, though, just a few years when the school's budget allowed for it.

Kickball is exactly like baseball except there's no bat. They roll the ball to you like it's bowling, and you kick it. That's kickball. It's awesome.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 07:15 PM   #42
Prowler
Emperor

Extra-curricular activities are a thing here too. But I don't remember dodge ball ever being one. More like judo, karate, computer stuff, arts stuff, etc.

I did karate in 1st and 2nd grade. Then the school stopped having karate and I switched to judo in 3rd grade. I got to yellow belt even.

But after I finished primary school I never took part in an extra-curricular activity again. So yeah, 4th grade was my last year doing judo.

One thing I always found fascinating about Japan is the fact their high schools have clubs. From watching anime each HS has several clubs made by students and then each gets its own stand at the school festival later that year. Such festivals are a Japan exclusive thing afaik. But they always seemed so cool.

There's like, cooking clubs, tea clubs, archery clubs, reading clubs, chess clubs, etc at their schools. That would have made my HS experience a lot more memorable and less boring.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 07:20 PM   #43
Leo656
The Franchise

Haha, oh man, I can't even imagine an American school having karate or judo as extracurricular activities; that'd be a liability and insurance nightmare. Some kid would take a bad spill or skin their knee or get a bloody nose and their parents would sue the school out of existence, that's how it goes over here.

Old 05-07-2022, 07:25 PM   #44
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Haha, oh man, I can't even imagine an American school having karate or judo as extracurricular activities; that'd be a liability and insurance nightmare. Some kid would take a bad spill or skin their knee or get a bloody nose and their parents would sue the school out of existence, that's how it goes over here.
Nothing like that ever happened at my school when I was there between 1st and 4th grade. I wasn't afraid nor was my mother of me getting hurt. I never got hurt either.

I even got to particioate in a tournament with other schools out of school. It went badly because the other kids we faced were a year older than us. And that can be a huge difference. So I lost both battles in less than a minute lol.

But I didn't break or sprain anything.

Anyway aren't parents there afraid of their kids getting seriously hurt playing sports in general? Like I dunno, American football?
Old 05-07-2022, 08:01 PM   #45
Leo656
The Franchise

Kind of, but I think the fact they're not deliberately striking each other means there's some plausible deniability if anyone gets hurt. Whereas parents these days are especially squeamish about their kids getting punched or kicked, even in a controlled environment.

I mean they still have karate schools and stuff like that. But a "regular" school having something like karate would be a no-go. Now, they generally do have wrestling, obviously, and that and football carry their own risks and elements of danger. But I think martial arts is just violent enough to make it something they wouldn't allow in schools.

Nobody said our values were logical or made sense, over here.

I mean, stuff changes with the times, too. A long time ago, a lot of schools had Gun Clubs. Nowadays? Whooooo boy. It wasn't THAT long ago, but the way things are nowadays, something like that seems like something out of the Dark Ages. "You mean they let kids use GUNS... on SCHOOL PROPERTY?!" "Yeah, people were actually generally a lot less stupid back then, that's why they managed it." If you even SUGGESTED that kind of thing nowadays, they'd lock you up.

Old 05-07-2022, 09:26 PM   #46
Prowler
Emperor

Well that's certainly something.

Anyway, I pretty much never got interested in doing sports as a hobby again after 4th grade. I felt like 80% of kids and teenagers from my generation either played sports or did a martial art of some sort back then. That or they played a musical instrument.

I didn't. All I did was play video games, watch TV and browsed the Internet. I'd be confused whenever I was told I had no interests. It offended me even because people didn't consider my hobbies legitimate.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:43 PM   #47
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:34 PM   #48
Prowler
Emperor

I guess Andrew's pole is vaulting as well.
Old 05-16-2022, 05:22 PM   #49
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I guess Andrew's pole is vaulting as well.
I'm pretty sure he'd vault his pole over Clara Fernandez, that's for sure.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:40 AM   #50
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 06-06-2022 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:25 AM   #51
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Support Ukraine. Make a Russian woman submit today! Like the Iron Shiek would most likely say, bend her over and make her humble, Bubba!

Disclaimer- only if she consents of course

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 12:02 PM   #52
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 06-23-2022 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:56 AM   #53
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 07-27-2022 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-25-2022, 03:56 PM   #54
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Old 05-01-2023, 10:44 AM   #55
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker