The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-12-2024, 07:42 AM   #41
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
It's more going off of the dialogue. Alopex is running the soup kitchen and April is working for Baxter so that puts it pre- Punk Frogs (and 124 was a Christmas issue). Also Casey has shorter hair and hasn't derailed like we see him in the Tokka & Rahzar/ Battle of the Bands arc (113 - 118 ) so it fits best either just after Slithery (106-108 ) or during the following arc (109-112).
Cool, thank you friend. Seems cleanest after 108. Updated the timeline thread accordingly.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 10:21 AM   #42
TheLabRat
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Then again most people that love TLR probably just think “dur hur hur, Grimdark is so epic” and might be let down by an artsy little piece like this.
"Grimdark" is overrated for this series. Not enough corpses, blood, and carnage. Mikey didn't fight hard enough. Even Mirage V4 Mikey are more violent than TLR Mikey.
TheLabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 10:49 AM   #43
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Cool, thank you friend. Seems cleanest after 108. Updated the timeline thread accordingly.
For what it's worth I've also re-read 'Splinter's Day Off' from this year's FCBD and I realised I made a mistake before saying it was the original lair when in fact it's definitely the church bunker that they're in (the location of Raph's punching bag is seen in other scenes set there). This would place it somewhere between issue 20 and 50, but the behaviour of the boys would lead me to think earlier so for arguments sake I'd just place it after #20 and before SHFC as that mini up to the return from Northampton is a pretty solid block without gaps.
Old 07-12-2024, 04:24 PM   #44
CyberCubed
Overlord

I really hope the Archie story is gearing up for an official version of The Forever War once IDW finishes their new Archie collections. It's what they did with their Image finisher. Would love to see Casey Jones included.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 04:41 PM   #45
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I really hope the Archie story is gearing up for an official version of The Forever War once IDW finishes their new Archie collections. It's what they did with their Image finisher. Would love to see Casey Jones included.
Oh, I absolutely do not want that. We already got an awesome Forever War, that had the ability to do a lot more precisely BECAUSE it isn't constrained by everything that comes with being "official."

The one we got had the original Steve Murphy scripts, Chris Allan art, and involvement from the guys who may as well be official staff at this point. It's as official as it needs to be, and while I didn't hate the Urban Legends conclusion, the original conclusion was better in every way. I don't really want a repeat with Forever War.

I wouldn't mind a few Casey Jones one-shots, however. Or a miniseries.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 04:54 PM   #46
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Then again most people that love TLR probably just think “dur hur hur, Grimdark is so epic”
Most people that think TLR is grimdark probably haven't read TLR. Which is true, that's how it was marketed. What gets me is the people who DO read TLR and DO come out thinking it's grimdark. Like, have they read so little stuff that it hits that benchmark? It's almost worse than the people who say the 4Kids cartoon is a 1:1 adaptation of the Mirage material in any way, shape or form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
We already got an awesome Forever War, that had the ability to do a lot more precisely BECAUSE it isn't constrained by everything that comes with being "official."
And yeah, a lot of what Allan did with the art went even way beyond what was described in our scripts, in many places and ways. Stuff that wouldn't have flew at Archie and wouldn't have made it past Nickelodeon's sticky notes at IDW either.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 04:57 PM   #47
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
How much more "official" do you really think that can get? Chris Allan redraws the whole thing again with an altered plot that may not be as satisfying as the one we already got. Murphy would apparently have to think up the whole thing from scratch beyond the first issue if he was the writer, and that's the only thing that could make it more "official." The Forever War we already have is as good as it is ever going to be.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 07:05 PM   #48
CyberCubed
Overlord

I mean there's no problem with having two different versions of a story. We have that with two Image conclusions after all. I liked The Forever War we got, but I'd also like to see one scripted by Murphy from start to finish. And also well, it would be "officially published" and included in future collections and trades on the market.

Like with the unofficial Image and Forever War conclusions we got, once they stop printing them, they're basically done forever (aside from digital versions I guess?), and will probably never be re-printed and then forgotten about as the years and decades go on. An officially published book will always be out there.
Old 07-13-2024, 04:34 AM   #49
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Most people that think TLR is grimdark probably haven't read TLR. Which is true, that's how it was marketed. What gets me is the people who DO read TLR and DO come out thinking it's grimdark. Like, have they read so little stuff that it hits that benchmark? It's almost worse than the people who say the 4Kids cartoon is a 1:1 adaptation of the Mirage material in any way, shape or form.

Hmm, I never considered that. You definitely see a lot of FAKE TMNT fans with big opinions on the comics, without actually reading them beyond the little synopses on the old mirage site. It’s normally a negative opinion (volume 3 was a huge victim of this), but I guess it could go the other direction too.

It did pretty big in sales though, which blows my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
How much more "official" do you really think that can get? Chris Allan redraws the whole thing again with an altered plot that may not be as satisfying as the one we already got. Murphy would apparently have to think up the whole thing from scratch beyond the first issue if he was the writer, and that's the only thing that could make it more "official." The Forever War we already have is as good as it is ever going to be.
Well IDW could make a real official ending if they were able to actually get that Dean Clarrain fella to write it…
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2024, 02:01 PM   #50
mikey22
Stone Warrior

had a blast reading this!
mikey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2024, 02:15 PM   #51
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Hmm, I never considered that. You definitely see a lot of FAKE TMNT fans with big opinions on the comics, without actually reading them beyond the little synopses on the old mirage site. It’s normally a negative opinion (volume 3 was a huge victim of this), but I guess it could go the other direction too.
That was kind of the exact main audience of TLR. These "sort of" TMNT fans out there who have at least some passing understanding that the Mirage TMNT exists but have never read it, but assume all sorts of things about it which probably has snowballed over the years in their minds.

Quote:
It did pretty big in sales though, which blows my mind.
Big FAKE numbers, like IDW sales on the core book after Mutant Town when they told us sales were great.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM   #52
Demon-Alukard
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
I wouldn't mind a few Casey Jones one-shots, however. Or a miniseries.
You'll get it in future, I hope. From the same team who brought you The Forever War. Just wait for 'How it All Began' release!
Demon-Alukard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2024, 03:27 PM   #53
CyberCubed
Overlord

Heh I just thought of something, now that Casey Jones debuted in this Archie short, it now makes the mention of Casey Jones in "Year of the Turtle" make sense.

The Turtles referenced Casey Jones in "Year of the Turtle" despite him never appearing in the Archie series before, but now with this short, it's canon!