The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 12-16-2021, 07:51 AM   #3101
mikey0
Foot Elite

mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:14 PM   #3102
teemu
Stone Warrior

I got the wave 4 of the reactions and these seem to be out of scale a bit against the rest of the line. Ray Fillet is ridiculous huge especially against Rock Steady/Bebop. Seems kinda weird how all 4 are larger than the rest especially looking at the original playmates line
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:43 PM   #3103
mikey0
Foot Elite

Muckman photos: https://mobile.twitter.com/toybrorev...08162376179714

https://mobile.twitter.com/toybrorev...46351841685506

Casey Jones:
https://mobile.twitter.com/toybrorev...30288375713794

https://mobile.twitter.com/toybrorev...83178964340736

https://mobile.twitter.com/toybrorev...96418490535938

Reviews for both characters are on the way from ToyBro.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:24 AM   #3104
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
I got the wave 4 of the reactions and these seem to be out of scale a bit against the rest of the line. Ray Fillet is ridiculous huge especially against Rock Steady/Bebop. Seems kinda weird how all 4 are larger than the rest especially looking at the original playmates line
Yeah, wave 4 almost looks like it came from a different company. The scale is different, the knees are slightly bent, and the detail is turned up way past anything else we've seen. I really wanted them at first but now I'm kind of hesitant. They just don't look right next to the older figures.

my reference (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BrhC12kcuE)
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 07:56 AM   #3105
mikey0
Foot Elite

Casey Jones Review:
Old 12-17-2021, 08:04 AM   #3106
Macaquerie
Random Punk

I don't really get the appeal of the ReAction series at all, especially if they're doing toylines that originally were larger than 3.75" like TMNT. And yeah I can understand why someone who's just looking to satisfy a nostalgia kick might prefer a $20 ReAction to a $50 Ultimates figure, but from everything I've seen the product itself is just so lackluster that the packaging is almost a bigger selling point than the figure itself, because that does look pretty.
Macaquerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 08:42 AM   #3107
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
I don't really get the appeal of the ReAction series at all, especially if they're doing toylines that originally were larger than 3.75" like TMNT. And yeah I can understand why someone who's just looking to satisfy a nostalgia kick might prefer a $20 ReAction to a $50 Ultimates figure, but from everything I've seen the product itself is just so lackluster that the packaging is almost a bigger selling point than the figure itself, because that does look pretty.
There's something... satisfying and charming about having an array of well matched 3 3/4 or 4" figures on display, especially when something like ReAction has done it across I.P.'s.

Also - I think it's more appealing to have that 5-points "vintage feel" knowing that basically nobody is actually playing with these toys. They are archetypes.

But, like we've discussed across the Super 7 threads, the 20 price point is... you know, it's basically a dumb buy at that price. If you can pick up the ReAction stuff discounted or on sale or liquidated for like 7 bucks it's a lot easier to swallow that pill.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 08:58 AM   #3108
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I think it is for people that grew up with the vintage Star Wars figures from decades ago since that's what state-of-the-art toys looked like back then. Also, for people that like the GI Joe form factor of the 80's. I personally won't be collecting ReAction unless there's a gimmick involved (e.g. chrome or metallic sheen for the SilverHawks ReAction) or I cannot buy the Ultimates for a decent/retail price (e.g. Ren and Stimpy). I also don't think Super 7 has quite mastered the ReAction aesthetic as some lines appear to look more modern than retro, unless they're experimenting with what works in today's market.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 09:46 AM   #3109
Macaquerie
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
There's something... satisfying and charming about having an array of well matched 3 3/4 or 4" figures on display, especially when something like ReAction has done it across I.P.'s.

Also - I think it's more appealing to have that 5-points "vintage feel" knowing that basically nobody is actually playing with these toys. They are archetypes.

But, like we've discussed across the Super 7 threads, the 20 price point is... you know, it's basically a dumb buy at that price. If you can pick up the ReAction stuff discounted or on sale or liquidated for like 7 bucks it's a lot easier to swallow that pill.
It does seem more like they're trying to make the line into something like Funko Pop where people will buy into the form factor more so than the actual IPs, but I doubt that it has any chance of really taking off that way, not to mention that Funko Pops are pretty lackluster anyway and mostly rely on gimmicks and artificial scarcity to be collectible.

And yeah excessive articulation does seem a bit extraneous for adult collector-focused display pieces, but it's still something that's good to have and being able to put your figures into an interesting pose on the shelf is still better than just having them stand there lifelessly. When I was a kid I usually preferred figures that had fewer points of articulation because more joints tended to mean that the figure crumbled into a floppy mess sooner rather than later, if not falling apart entirely. I only really started appreciating hyper articulated figures as an adult, seeing the potential for making cool diorama scenes for photo shoots and such.

What does seem excessive for Ultimates is all the accessories the figures come with that at the end of day are just more pieces that you can lose. I especially don't really see the point in including all those extra pairs of hands because, and correct me if I'm wrong, 9 times out of 10 people are going to be using the ones that can hold the accessories and if you're not it only takes a tiny bit of imagination to picture Raph making a fist or whatever. Although I suspect that the cost of including all the extra pieces is not that great, and is more just an excuse for Super 7 to jack up the price overall because well at least they're giving us additional value by including all these bits and bobs and what not.

I will say though, I've been wavering on whether I want to buy into Ultimates for a while now and I think just seeing the team finally all together might just tip the scales in their favor. Has anyone done a deep dive on how many waves they'd have to do to be able to replicate the entire vintage line, and whether they have enough remaining characters that can carry waves to pull it off?
Macaquerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 10:01 AM   #3110
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
It does seem more like they're trying to make the line into something like Funko Pop where people will buy into the form factor more so than the actual IPs, but I doubt that it has any chance of really taking off that way
Ehh. Uh. Well as to that point you made about the line having limited life (e.g., "doubt that it has any chance of really taking off") - I mean the ReAction line has been around for years now and has a lot of I.P.'s signed up for figures. It's the same with Pops. Personally, I can't stand Pops, but I'd still acknowledge their popularity.

So your opinion might be that you doubt there is any chance of really taking off that way, but... they have. Both of those lines launched years ago and are going really strong.

Quote:
And yeah excessive articulation does seem a bit extraneous for adult collector-focused display pieces, but it's still something that's good to have and being able to put your figures into an interesting pose on the shelf is still better than just having them stand there lifelessly. When I was a kid I usually preferred figures that had fewer points of articulation because more joints tended to mean that the figure crumbled into a floppy mess sooner rather than later, if not falling apart entirely. I only really started appreciating hyper articulated figures as an adult, seeing the potential for making cool diorama scenes for photo shoots and such.
I love articulation for sure, but there is a sweet spot in there for the "perfect action figure". I picked up an Amazing Yamaguchi Iron Man a while back, which in the marketing pictures looks like the best Iron Man toy ever made. And I hate it. Those things are an articulation mess that look horrible unless posed purposely for hours and even then from specific angles only.

I always come back to the Hasbro G.I. Joe 25th Anniversary stuff from around 2010 or so as the perfect 4" figure. Posability, great sculpts, well proportioned, all of it.

Quote:
What does seem excessive for Ultimates is all the accessories the figures come with that at the end of day are just more pieces that you can lose. I especially don't really see the point in including all those extra pairs of hands because, and correct me if I'm wrong, 9 times out of 10 people are going to be using the ones that can hold the accessories and if you're not it only takes a tiny bit of imagination to picture Raph making a fist or whatever.
I'd say that you are actually describing the difference between the "buy-to-play-with" collector and the "buy-to-pose" collector. Especially your (very good) point about "a tiny bit of imagination". Only again, that point seems to function best with that "buy to play with" sort of collector.

I think the extra fists and accessories don't create play value. But instead they create what I would call "interaction value".
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 02:19 PM   #3111
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant

Quote:
I will say though, I've been wavering on whether I want to buy into Ultimates for a while now and I think just seeing the team finally all together might just tip the scales in their favor. Has anyone done a deep dive on how many waves they'd have to do to be able to replicate the entire vintage line, and whether they have enough remaining characters that can carry waves to pull it off?
I'm not sure that an audience for rehashes of the ENTIRE vintage line exists... but for them to get there at only four figures a wave, they'd be looking at over eighty waves of figures - assuming they continue to produce four vintage figures per wave - which I can't fathom happening at all.

But realistically, with the price pushing higher, and especially if Flynn's threat of $75 figures comes to pass, I can't imagine people being that interested in THAT many more figures. There are a few heavy hitters left, but the only figures I'd reluctantly pay $75 for are Usagi and Rat King... and even at $55, there's only a tiny portion of the remaining figures that I'm that interested in.

As an example, I know Scratch is a big one for some people, but I have no attachment to that figure, so he was an easy pass for me. I suspect the further they go, the more of those types of figures there'll be for people.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 03:46 PM   #3112
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
I'm not sure that an audience for rehashes of the ENTIRE vintage line exists... but for them to get there at only four figures a wave, they'd be looking at over eighty waves of figures - assuming they continue to produce four vintage figures per wave - which I can't fathom happening at all.

But realistically, with the price pushing higher, and especially if Flynn's threat of $75 figures comes to pass, I can't imagine people being that interested in THAT many more figures. There are a few heavy hitters left, but the only figures I'd reluctantly pay $75 for are Usagi and Rat King... and even at $55, there's only a tiny portion of the remaining figures that I'm that interested in.

As an example, I know Scratch is a big one for some people, but I have no attachment to that figure, so he was an easy pass for me. I suspect the further they go, the more of those types of figures there'll be for people.

Yeah. I'd love to see the whole line get done but realistically at $75 I'd be picking and choosing more. There are still lots I would be in for though. Space Cadet Raph comes to mind. The Star Trek Turtles too. The Monster line. Usagi for sure. Just to name a few.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 03:55 PM   #3113
mikey0
Foot Elite

New Muckman photos: https://mobile.twitter.com/toybrorev...72994826346506

https://mobile.twitter.com/toybrorev...75918042329093

The ToyBro review is coming tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:59 PM   #3114
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Now, to slime or not to slime?

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 04:43 PM   #3115
mikey0
Foot Elite

Muckman and Joe Eyeball: https://www.instagram.com/p/CXmHcG2Pq_k/
Old 12-17-2021, 05:43 PM   #3116
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Casey Jones Review:
glad i cancelled my preorder on this one. getting shredder/april vibes. that shiny plastic...man. once those price increases hit, i really expect to see more from S7 on the paint application front.

excited for muckman and mondo, though.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 08:36 PM   #3117
mikey0
Foot Elite

Playmates Muckman and Ultimates Muckman: https://mobile.twitter.com/toybrorev...45527340564480

Wave 4 Group Shot: https://www.instagram.com/p/CXki0M9rECS/

Last edited by mikey0; 12-17-2021 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-18-2021, 12:51 AM   #3118
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I like what I see in that Casey Jones review, he's probably one of my favorites so far. But, yeah, for a $55 figures it is definitely lacking in painted details.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 12:59 PM   #3119
mikey0
Foot Elite

Muckman and Joe Eyeball Review:
Old 12-18-2021, 05:21 PM   #3120
mikey0
Foot Elite

The 3 Mondos: https://mobile.twitter.com/toybrorev...40347535736840