The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: How much do voice actors of certain characters matter to you? Can they be replaced?
No, they can't. The voice actor that voiced X character is iconic to that character forever. 3 15.79%
If there's a good reason for replacing a voice actor then I'm OK with it. 7 36.84%
I'd rather they didn't, but whatever. 2 10.53%
Doesn't matter super much to me. As long as the voice actor replacement is close-ish. 5 26.32%
I don't care at all. 1 5.26%
Something else (explain). 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2022, 02:42 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

How important are the voice actors who do certain parts to you?

I post this in General TMNT Discussion because largely the opinions here will likely be shaped by the affinity to the voice acting of the various TMNT voice actors, but I ask in a broad sense.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:51 AM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

When it comes to voice acting, I always do prefer the originals, but I am fine with new takes on the same character as long as they are done well. For example, the Shredder's voice in the 1987 show does change a lot despite James Avery's performance being so iconic.

The replacement Shredder's in the cartoon are all pretty good and have their unique take on him, like how Shredder's voice in Red Sky is much more vicious and vengeful which is fitting since those seasons adopt a more serious tone. So ya, originals are always the best for the sake of consistency and having an established voice, but having other voice actors isn't the end of the world and might even bring something new and worthwhile to that character.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 04:23 AM   #3
newfan
Mad Scientist

Depends, how much you like the actual voicework, does it compliment the character? (I know all voicing expresses character, I mean where it stands out to us especially) also is the voice more distinct or is it more an ordinary voice that could more easily be replaced.

Generally I would rather they didn't change, especially if as I said above, the voice was one I particularly liked. I'd also add favourite character to that but Leo was my favourite turtle in 2012 yet I liked Green even though he sounded off at first (from being very different) he suited a more grown Leo later on. Though I liked both voices there are others that I'd rate as my favoruites in the show.

As when actors are changed and we have a whole different face to look at, I don't always like that but we can get used to it, depends if they are any good. Although I still imagine had Peter Weller done Robocop 3 when I have re-watched that sometimes, but this is going off topic as it's a different thing. (though Weller has quite a distinct voice)

Last edited by newfan; 01-22-2022 at 06:53 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:02 AM   #4
sdp
Megan Fox = April

If it's a different continuity then a different VA should voice the character. If it's the same continuity then the same VA should voice the character. I love Kevin Conroy but he's the DCAU Batman voice, I don't want him doing other continuity Batman's, he should only do DCAU Batman.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:27 AM   #5
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Rob Paulsen made Raphael for me so it caused a problem later on. What I mean is when I think of Raphael I think the sarcastic hothead with his voice. Later on he voices Donatello, but Rob Paulsen defines Raphael for me and many of Generation Y for better or worse. The result is Raphael's voice coming out of Donatello. I also note that Rob has a particular personality that he brings to the characters he voices. Nickelodeon acknowledged that as well and noted that Donatello was the least popular of the four turtles so if the personality that he brought to Raphael, who has other traits in his overall character that can flourish, could be brought out with Rob's brand in Donatello it would work for them. However, it does not for me. It sounds like Raphael coming out of Donatello like an error made in the 1987 cartoon that won't go away.

I am also disappointed in Nickelodeon hiring Jason Biggs to voice a Turtle considering his brand. It would seem like if they were aiming for Paulsen to inject his brand into a character they would know what to expect from Biggs, it goes along with their line of thinking which doesn't make sense to me. However, hiring a voice actor that sounded exactly like Biggs voice to finish out the season and while I would have kept the voice actor on they were smart in creating an in-story reason for his voice to change.

As for voice actor substitutes in the 1987 cartoon it was a bit jarring to hear Scooter's voice coming out of Donatello a half dozen times. Pulling double duty with Bebop, Bebop sounded like he has a slight cold, it was close enough and I could say Bebop had seasonal allergies bothering him as a head cannon. Rob also missed the most episodes, mostly due to getting hired for other voice work. The same with Bill Martin as The Shredder, Tosensend Coleman, Jim Cummings, and at least one other actor voiced The Shredder, but its James Freaking Avery that IS The Shredder. Despite that however, in his 7 voiceovers as The Shredder, Bill Martin did a pretty close imitation of Avery's take and like with Bebop earlier I have head cannon of being ill casuing his voice to sound slightly off. However, Shredder was allowed to let loose more and be the badass he could be so there is always his being more aggressive and pissed all the time. As mentioned above he made Raphael of the 1987 cartoon a character that I love. Michael Gough was fine, but I was not a fan of the other replacements. The 1989 season 3 had a jump to 47 episodes and seemed to have caused scheduling conflicts with some of the actors. I can understand the episode jump and the commitments being of issue. The series never had a consistent number of episodes from 8 to 47, its ridiculously low and high. To this day despite the many absences even within their incarnation I hear James Avery's voice as The Shredder whenever I think of the character to this day and the same goes for Rob Paulsen with Raphael despite everything.

So yes, the voice contributes to my recognition of the character, my love of a particular character, and perhaps echoes a particular direction or incarnation of a character. The voices one hears first help shape what they think of when it comes to the character and the overall incarnation if not brand itself. Changing course part of the way through is not a good idea unless its necessary (like how I wanted Biggs removed from day one). I remember seeing Turtle Power documentary and my eyes got teary eyed seeing the original voice cast together for the final time. It was not just Ninja Turtles, but MY Ninja Turtles and it was not a redux of the character set that falls on parody.

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 01-22-2022 at 08:32 AM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:24 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I'm a mix between two answers. If there is a good reason...and if it's close enough.

I assume you mean changing mid series like 2012 or the substitutes of the FW show? Not crazy about it having to happen and in all those cases I'd have rather the new voices were closer to the originals, but I understand they can't choose from anyone in the world and have to pick from the best options in front of them at the time.

However, the part that bothers me the most is when the a voice, tone, or accent of a voice actor just does not suit a particular Turtle.

We're used to Raph sounding like New York, Mikey taking up a bit of a surfer tone, and Leo and Donnie just having that "no accent" General American accent that doesn't stand out in any particular way. Change these up and they just sound jarringly wrong to me.

Other major characters also of course have to have voices that suit them.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:13 PM   #7
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

When it comes to the turtles or any characters I love, the original VA's are always appreciated, but with different shows, different atmospheres, different takes on franchises, subsequent VA's can always be well-appreciated too as long as they do it well and are befitting to the characters' personalities, and of course there's always room for variety when it comes to personality of a character, as long as the core values of that character remain intact.

What's of bigger concern to me is that the characters are drawn well, that they look good, that's a must.
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:00 AM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

For one specific incarnation the voices should remain the same. For the 3 cartoons, (original, 2k3 and Nick), the voices really do fit the characters for each show. To the point when the original cartoon had substitute voice actors for a few episodes the Turtles always sounded wrong.

It's the same in the movies, it was noticeable Don's voice was different in Secret of the Ooze but Leo/Mike were the same voices in all 3 movies. I did like the 3 Raph voices though.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:22 PM   #9
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I loathe it in the FW series, mainly because the replacements aren't anywhere close (and I'm very partial to Rob Paulsen) with the worst was the Donatello replacement. Though to be fair some I can barely tell. When Peter Renaday did Leatherhead (though it's only a line or 2) I never really knew.

When it comes to the movies the Raphs are pretty close to each other and I prefer Adam Carl to Cory Feldman.

Green > Biggs

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:16 AM   #10
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I loathe it in the FW series, mainly because the replacements aren't anywhere close (and I'm very partial to Rob Paulsen) with the worst was the Donatello replacement.
Ah yes. Muppet Babies Scooter as Donatello.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:27 AM   #11
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

While I will always prefer the 1987 cartoon to the 2003 one, aside from Hun's VA being replaced for an episode, did we have that in the cartoon? I cannot really think of an instance aside from that one that a substitute was used to voice a character. That is one of the things I give the 2003 cartoon props for, because if it did it went unnoticed to me or at the very least does not standout to memory which means it did not effect the overall appreciation for a particular episode.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:15 PM   #12
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I am also disappointed in Nickelodeon hiring Jason Biggs to voice a Turtle considering his brand. It would seem like if they were aiming for Paulsen to inject his brand into a character they would know what to expect from Biggs, it goes along with their line of thinking which doesn't make sense to me. However, hiring a voice actor that sounded exactly like Biggs voice to finish out the season and while I would have kept the voice actor on they were smart in creating an in-story reason for his voice to change.
He never was a good actor, to begin with. Over the years, I never understood how he got any work. His acting makes Shia LaBeouf look like Tom Hanks and Nicholas Cage look like Jack Nicholson.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 07:02 PM   #13
Prowler
Emperor

TMNT cartoons are long running and from different decades. So naturally, it would be illogical for me to expect Cam Clarke and Co. to still be voicing the Turtles 30+ years later. It was odd hearing Rob Paulsen as Donatello in the 2012 series though.

Now, within a series, I don't like changes or replacements. Most of the replacements in the FW series felt off and were bad. I know that actors get busy with other shows, but somehow the Anime industry almost never does that. One Piece has been airing for over 2 decades now, and EVERY character has kept the same VA throughout the series. Including the main characters. And those VA also do their voices in movies and special episodes. And they also work for other series as well. Zoro's VA also worked for the Gintama anime series, for example. Unless a VA dies, replacing him or her is pretty much a no-no in the anime industry.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 11:20 AM   #14
IMJ
Emperor

I think on the rare occasions when a voice actor beings to define a character so strongly that there is a good case for continuity there. Nolan North as Drake, Kevin Conroy as Batman - great cases for cross-project continuity there.

It's also better when a voice actor lasts through a show. Honestly the only time in cartoon history that a voice actor has been changed and it didn't feel jarring and disinteresting was TMNT '12, and that was mostly because they actually wrote the vocal change into the plot which I thought was clever as hell.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 08:52 AM   #15
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

I get that most VA's grow old, tired, or just plain fed up of the characters that they voiced despite the impassioned pleas from fans of an animated / video game franchise.

It's the VA's that do not sound 'engaged' to the characters that they are supposed to portray that gets to me.

Not every VA can sound exactly the same as the last person that 'passed the torch' but if the individual learns a bit from the voice actor(s) that came before and actually researches their animated character, then maybe their efforts will work out. But if the voice actors are truly invested into the character(s), then that is something else.

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 09:06 AM   #16
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
While I will always prefer the 1987 cartoon to the 2003 one, aside from Hun's VA being replaced for an episode, did we have that in the cartoon? I cannot really think of an instance aside from that one that a substitute was used to voice a character. That is one of the things I give the 2003 cartoon props for, because if it did it went unnoticed to me or at the very least does not standout to memory which means it did not effect the overall appreciation for a particular episode.
I want to say Leatherhead but I could be wrong. It was something I noticed when watching the Season 4 episodes where Don got mutated. His voice sounded kinda off.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 10:54 AM   #17
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I watched The Tower of Power episode this past week. The story is fine, Shredder actually tried to murder April and Irma too. The main thing is the usual, why does Shredder attack where the Turtles always are even when they are not in NYC. The city is unprotected so it would be opportune. Anyway, I had trouble with this episode because Rob Paulsen sat out the European Vacation episodes, this one of seven ( I think) that Barry Gordon missed, Shredder is voiced by Jim Cummings, and Rayle's wife is voicing April in probably the only episode Renae Jacobs missed. So many substitutes make it jarring. Conflicts among employees and a schedule to keep? Well, a delay is fine for a better quality product. No offense to the substitute voice actors.
Old 03-05-2022, 12:37 PM   #18
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I remember when Townsend Coleman voiced Krang in Cowabunga Shredhead and his take on the character was so forced. Ugh!
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 12:59 PM   #19
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
While I will always prefer the 1987 cartoon to the 2003 one, aside from Hun's VA being replaced for an episode, did we have that in the cartoon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I want to say Leatherhead but I could be wrong. It was something I noticed when watching the Season 4 episodes where Don got mutated. His voice sounded kinda off.

Yes, Leatherhead definitely had a different voice in season four. And Hun had a different voice for seasons 5-6, but it was back to normal for BTTS and Turtles Forever.

Last edited by ABrown; 03-05-2022 at 01:05 PM.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 04:41 PM   #20
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I remember when Townsend Coleman voiced Krang in Cowabunga Shredhead and his take on the character was so forced. Ugh!
I remember reading somewhere that looking back he wished he hadn't done it. I don't think he should hang his head low though because many fans consider that episode to be one of the most, if not the most, popular episodes of the entire series.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote