The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 10-25-2022, 07:42 PM   #41
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Someone from Paramount recently said, in a press-statement, that they still have an interest in live-action tmnt movies, down the line.

I believe it was when they announced the paramount plus movies centered around tmnt villains.

It was unprovoked, so it does seem to be on their mind.

I wouldn’t be surprised. Nick just tested the waters with the video games and then announced a AAA game shortly after.

They could be testing waters here too.
I remember it sounding like it was a vague possibility. Mentioning it felt like a carrot to fans who would vastly prefer a live action movie. I'm sure there is some interest in a live action feature and they've had talks here and there with people but I think it's still a long way off.

I think Viacom suspect that the time for TMNT to become a successful modern movie franchise may have passed. There was never a better time for it than 2014; There was a lot of hype for the first live action turtles film in decades, the new animated was going strong, lots nostalgia not just for the 80s cartoon but the '03 one too. Also despite the controversy that slip up from Michael Bay saying they were aliens caused it got a lot of people talking. There is also the fact that this was the first time seeing TMNT live in a big budget movie and for younger fans this was the first time seeing the characters in live action period. That can't really replicate that feeling of excitement.

The big one though is that I don't think anyone at Paramount knows how to approach relaunching this. For decades the belief was if you simply make the 80s cartoon in live action it would be a huge box office hit and finally they were able to do it with Out Of The Shadows and it tanked. One of the more dangerous narratives that emerged to explain that movie's failure is that everyone was put off by the the first movie's 'darker tone' and not being enough like the 80s show. I imagine there are a few execs at Paramount which would like to go full Fred Wolf with a new movie straight away. The only thing preventing it is that doing that would take a huge budget that I doubt they will commit to with significant evidence there's an audience for any new TMNT movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Can you provide a source for that? I read otherwise.
Certainly. It was clarified later at same event it was announced when it was clear people tweeting about it assumed it was connected to the Rogan movie.

https://twitter.com/DailyNickNews/st...65602309066759

Last edited by Galactus; 10-25-2022 at 07:53 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 05:46 PM   #42
Cowabung-Gal
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I believe it was when they announced the paramount plus movies centered around tmnt villains.
Lemme guess, with a plot similar to “Despicable Me”? Or “Cruella”?

Why can’t villains just be total d*cks instead of being misunderstood tragic figures? It was an interesting concept ten years ago, but now? It’s too predictable.
Old 11-10-2022, 06:20 PM   #43
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Lemme guess, with a plot similar to “Despicable Me”? Or “Cruella”?
... Yeah, probably. Best case scenario, we get something like Invader Zim.

But, uh... We can't exactly expect to get like Scarface with Hun or American Psycho with Shredder, can we?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:25 AM   #44
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Not a villain, but I would love a "Taxi driver" inspired Casey Jones solo movie.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 05:14 PM   #45
Antoniocafe
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
This article makes no mention about this supposed new series for 2024, It only mentions about the CGI movie, and the movies about the villains for Paramount+.
Yeah the only thing that I see in the article is that it says a "series of exclusive movies" for Paramount+.
Antoniocafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 08:35 AM   #46
TylerD
Random Punk

Quote:
They should probably wait, but this indicates confidence at least.

Would be really silly for them to dive right into another failure of an animated series, without being sure of what they have.
I was thinking this myself... As excited as I am to have a new series, I just hope it's a good one.... I really was not a fan of Rise but I guess a few here are so to each their own.... I just hope the movie is incredible, and the series somewhat respects it.
TylerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 10:06 AM   #47
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
I was thinking this myself... As excited as I am to have a new series, I just hope it's a good one.... I really was not a fan of Rise but I guess a few here are so to each their own.... I just hope the movie is incredible, and the series somewhat respects it.
TMNT '12 found a really great balance between "serious stakes and ninja action" and the ridiculousness of the 80's show. Maybe the next evolution is something more akin to the Y2K show....

Do you guys remember the crazy, over-the-top black and white scene from "Forever" that featured the Mirage Turtles? If they want a deep reinvention of TMNT they could dig deep and pound out a black and white show similar to that scene. I don't know how long it would last, but it would either fail or be an award-winning smash.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote