The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2024, 02:47 PM   #4861
italianice388
Stone Warrior
 
italianice388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 665
what’s the deal with the massive seam line across wingnut’s face? that was not in the mocks and it looks really bad.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 12:56 PM   #4862
Dask
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
Pictures are crap. Wingnut looks great, but a bit too big, though Brian Flynn will claim 'genius' in the making of it.
Yeah, I just got the figures today (I ordered them because of the 'massive' discounts). I have not unboxed. Here's some initial impressions:

-Wingnut is massive. I like it (especially the white eyed homage to Batman)
-Scumbug (too close to the NECA which was too close to the playmates and cartoon, rare instance where everything is aligned) I may go with the dazed eye look to differentiate it.
-Zak the Neutrino (glad to see this personal favorite and in the 'toon' colors, as in the toon playmates line, the alternate head looks even more alien/'grey' like which is oddly fitting).
-Flocked Splinter. It is what it is. The neck area looks off-color.
-Basketball Don. If they don't release the other sports turtles (which I could care less about), they better release Halfcourt. They would look good together in a 1:1 dio with the basketball pole. Well, that's my hope.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 04:39 PM   #4863
jestergoblin
Mad Scientist
 
jestergoblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,104
Got mine. Agree across the board. Wingnut is a BEAST.

Scumbug is missing something, maybe he’s too clean? Still not sure what the up charge on him was for.

Don is great, love how long his bo staff is.

Zak is gloriously absurd, daddio. Paint is so well done.

Splinter is fun variant (had the flocked movie star one as a kid), but man do I really wish his baby turtle was a different color scheme. Would have loved if he was in Don or Mikey’s colors.
jestergoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 10:48 PM   #4864
mikey0
Foot Elite
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,053
More images of wave 9: https://twitter.com/JoeFisto/status/...Fpaged%2F23%2F
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:29 AM   #4865
mikey see
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,042
To those that have them, is Wingnut's cape removable?

They look pretty darn good but they definitely screwed up the skin tone for Scumbug. It's too dark and throws everything off. He just looks wrong, like in an almost "uncanny valley" way (which sounds weird but you know what I mean).

I wish Wingnut was closer to the orange/brown of the OG but Super7 is going to Super7 and it could have been worse. He looks really good and I can't wait to grab him on discount some day.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 10:49 AM   #4866
teemu
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
To those that have them, is Wingnut's cape removable?

They look pretty darn good but they definitely screwed up the skin tone for Scumbug. It's too dark and throws everything off. He just looks wrong, like in an almost "uncanny valley" way (which sounds weird but you know what I mean).

I wish Wingnut was closer to the orange/brown of the OG but Super7 is going to Super7 and it could have been worse. He looks really good and I can't wait to grab him on discount some day.
Discount is guaranteed. Lying Brian Flynn will say you better order from us or you won't get it later.
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 03:40 PM   #4867
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant
 
Y2Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
To those that have them, is Wingnut's cape removable?

They look pretty darn good but they definitely screwed up the skin tone for Scumbug. It's too dark and throws everything off. He just looks wrong, like in an almost "uncanny valley" way (which sounds weird but you know what I mean).

I wish Wingnut was closer to the orange/brown of the OG but Super7 is going to Super7 and it could have been worse. He looks really good and I can't wait to grab him on discount some day.
I don't have mine yet, but in that first picture with Rocksteady, his cape is off, so we should be okay. Like you, I find the cape pretty dumb, and I definitely could have seen Super7 making it permanently attached. Doesn't look to be the case, though.

Feel similarly with Scumbug as I did with Ace. The purple is so off, it really throws the whole figure. Though I'm hoping this is just the lighting or something, as I also feel like Wingnut looks too dark.

Last edited by Y2Josh; 02-12-2024 at 03:51 PM.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 05:48 PM   #4868
mikey0
Foot Elite
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,053
Another OOTP image of Wingnut and Screwloose: https://twitter.com/toybroreviews/st...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 08:02 PM   #4869
Dask
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 1,078
Yeah, cape and wings combo don't really make too much sense. They were probably trying to do a proper Batman homage, which would have been great if the wings weren't already so awesome.

I just realized that Scumbug and Splinter are in the same wave!! You know what that means *wink* *wink*

Last edited by Dask; 02-13-2024 at 03:48 PM.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 06:42 PM   #4870
mikey0
Foot Elite
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,053
Be careful changing the heads on flocked Splinter: https://twitter.com/TheReigner/statu...26981233496414
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 11:09 PM   #4871
Dask
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Be careful changing the heads on flocked Splinter: https://twitter.com/TheReigner/statu...26981233496414
I have a feeling this is not a joint that can be heated up under water...
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 08:17 AM   #4872
mikey see
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,042
Yeahhhh, probably not a good idea to have swappable heads on a flocked figure. Although I guess the Mattel MOTU Origins Moss Man has a flocked head that's meant to be swapped and I don't think I've heard of problems with that one.

Either way, I don't think I'd blame Super7 for that. You gotta be careful with flocking and vac metal.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 11:38 AM   #4873
mikey0
Foot Elite
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,053
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 01:29 PM   #4874
teemu
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 862
Got my figures. The stars of the wave are Wingnut and Scumbug. I don't get the color complaints for Scumbug, as he's great and the additional belly bug attachments are a nice touch. Wingnut is as ranked right up there with Muckman as most impressive pieces. Once you get these figures sorted out, they are pretty awesome looking with all the others. If you're a fan, buy them! or wait for the discount for sure.
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 10:10 AM   #4875
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant
 
Y2Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 428
I'm not sure we're actually going to see this wave on discount. I don't know about BBTS, but EE has sold out of their entire stock except for Zak (at least insofar as what I can glean from their website). It's certainly possible that retailers saw that sales of the previous waves weren't meeting their expectations and they adjusted future orders down to address that.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 10:53 AM   #4876
mikey see
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,042
Teemu with the rare praise for Super7.

Yeah, so far I haven't seen any noteworthy discounts for the Genghis wave either. It's possible that we've finally reached the point of supply not out-stripping demand. Honestly, I wouldn't be too terribly upset if I had to pay full price for my remaining wants as I don't think there will be that many. With Super7 being forced to pivot I don't think I'll be buying many more figures. It will mean I won't be getting any of the kinda-wants, like the turtle variants or Zak.

I'm still going to hold out hope of getting Wingnut and Guerilla Gorilla for around $50 apiece though.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 12:22 PM   #4877
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant
 
Y2Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
Teemu with the rare praise for Super7.

Yeah, so far I haven't seen any noteworthy discounts for the Genghis wave either. It's possible that we've finally reached the point of supply not out-stripping demand. Honestly, I wouldn't be too terribly upset if I had to pay full price for my remaining wants as I don't think there will be that many. With Super7 being forced to pivot I don't think I'll be buying many more figures. It will mean I won't be getting any of the kinda-wants, like the turtle variants or Zak.

I'm still going to hold out hope of getting Wingnut and Guerilla Gorilla for around $50 apiece though.
Wingnut is easily the best figure they've ever done. He looks great, the joints are good, and without the cape, he's a pretty faithful recreation of the vintage figure. Scumbug still seems a bit too dark to me, but he looks better in hand than he does in those photos. Zak is Zak, and I would have prefered the more matte finish of the original figure rather than the kind of hybrid paint job they went with, but otherwise he's nice. Splinter and Donnie are going right to eBay. They'll sell for less than retail, but due to the pricing glitch, I think I'll still come out slightly ahead.

To the future figures, I'll probably just pay full price for Rat King, and also Traag, Usagi and Super Shredder if they ever get properly made. Beyond that, the only figures from my "I'd like to have them list" that I'd consider at this point would be Groundchuck and Dirtbag, dependent on how they came out.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 01:42 PM   #4878
teemu
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
Wingnut is easily the best figure they've ever done. He looks great, the joints are good, and without the cape, he's a pretty faithful recreation of the vintage figure. Scumbug still seems a bit too dark to me, but he looks better in hand than he does in those photos. Zak is Zak, and I would have prefered the more matte finish of the original figure rather than the kind of hybrid paint job they went with, but otherwise he's nice. Splinter and Donnie are going right to eBay. They'll sell for less than retail, but due to the pricing glitch, I think I'll still come out slightly ahead.

To the future figures, I'll probably just pay full price for Rat King, and also Traag, Usagi and Super Shredder if they ever get properly made. Beyond that, the only figures from my "I'd like to have them list" that I'd consider at this point would be Groundchuck and Dirtbag, dependent on how they came out.
I'd also like the controversial Pizza Face...but Super7 doesn't care what fans want, they make what they want and hope you buy it.
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 01:51 PM   #4879
Dask
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
. Zak is Zak, and I would have prefered the more matte finish of the original figure rather than the kind of hybrid paint job they went with, but otherwise he's nice.
Yeah, matte Zak is the one I grew up with but I think Super7 made a strategic decision to have Zak with the hybrid 'metallic' car paint deco, just in case they ever do a Kala or Dask as they were never released in matte. Also, Zak is not popular enough of a character to warrant variants.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 06:10 PM   #4880
italianice388
Stone Warrior
 
italianice388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
Wingnut is easily the best figure they've ever done. He looks great, the joints are good, and without the cape, he's a pretty faithful recreation of the vintage figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
Got my figures. The stars of the wave are Wingnut and Scumbug. Wingnut is as ranked right up there with Muckman as most impressive pieces. Once you get these figures sorted out, they are pretty awesome looking with all the others.
how do you both feel about the seam line running across the middle of wingnut's face? that wasn't present in the initial renders. looks pretty noticeable in the photos.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.