The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 05-24-2022, 09:41 PM   #61
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Yeah. Now the naked chick with the white hair, oddly enough, I can never remember her name. Somebody's gonna need to bail me out on that one.
Naked chick with the white hair?

I mean... Felicia from Darkstalkers is technically naked?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:44 PM   #62
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
Sorry, sometimes I mess up names, Cooler Yamamoto.
That's Cooler Yamamoto Sensei to you.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 05-24-2022, 09:53 PM   #63
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Naked chick with the white hair?

I mean... Felicia from Darkstalkers is technically naked?
Apparently her name is Elena. I had to look it up.

This one.

Mrowr. But I can never, ever remember her name. Apparently nobody can. I guess we're all forgivably distracted.

...She's apparently pretty flexible.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:42 AM   #64
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

^ lol maybe she's related to Dhalsim!
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:44 AM   #65
Leo656
The Franchise

Totally different country of origin, but I suppose anything is possible.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:58 AM   #66
terrorblade
Foot Soldier

I really like how Ryu looks, straight out of SF2. I wish Playmate would just release the SF figures without the turtles.
terrorblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:39 AM   #67
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCRI View Post
OMFG.?? People will buy anything.
Slow down brah, never said that.

Hypothetically speaking, though, in a world having 5% of the Turtles toys made per year that we have now, I'd buy these over the Loyal Subjects Best AXN figures any day.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:09 PM   #68
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Apparently her name is Elena. I had to look it up.

This one.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...et_Fighter.png

Mrowr. But I can never, ever remember her name. Apparently nobody can. I guess we're all forgivably distracted.

...She's apparently pretty flexible.
Dang, how could I forget her. I guess it's cause she didn't return in Street Fighter 5. Hopefully Elena sees a comeback in SF6.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:51 PM   #69
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
^ lol maybe she's related to Dhalsim!
Quote:
Totally different country of origin, but I suppose anything is possible.
Nah, there's been nothing in any game to suggest there's any relation at all. Besides Dhalsim being from India and Elena being from Kenya/Africa, both have known families and zero connection between them is made. There's not really much in the way of similarities, either. Dhalsim is slow and meditative and uses yoga, can stretch his limbs, and breathes fire (though it's partially an illusion), while Elena fights exclusively with her legs using Capoeira and is always dancing around. The only things the characters have in common is dark skin and little clothing.

There are other characters that are related to each other, but they've always been pretty explicitly stated as such. Such as Gill and Urien, Akuma and Gouken, Sean and Laura, Yun and Yang, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrorblade View Post
I really like how Ryu looks, straight out of SF2. I wish Playmate would just release the SF figures without the turtles.
Honestly, I'd love if the SF figures were separate from the TMNT figures. Besides them not looking like they belong together, the TMNT figures look pretty bad. But I do really dig the way the SF figures look.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:13 PM   #70
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I wonder if they will ever release the SF figures separately at some point.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:50 PM   #71
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Personally, I think it'd be cool if Playmates had made new 5 inch molds in the style of their old-school ones, where they had the TMNT characters dressed as Street Fighter characters. But that's something only classic Playmates was capable of doing or willing to do. Still, I can't deny that I do like the SF figures in these sets. Just not too thrilled about the turtles themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
I wonder if they will ever release the SF figures separately at some point.
Doubtful. They haven't done that with the Kobra Kai ones, anyway.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:08 PM   #72
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
Personally, I think it'd be cool if Playmates had made new 5 inch molds in the style of their old-school ones, where they had the TMNT characters dressed as Street Fighter characters. But that's something only classic Playmates was capable of doing or willing to do. Still, I can't deny that I do like the SF figures in these sets. Just not too thrilled about the turtles themselves.
Like the Kung-Fu TMNT Tournament Fighters?
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:13 PM   #73
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Like the Kung-Fu TMNT Tournament Fighters?
Well, I meant more like the Star Trek Turtles or the Universal Monsters Turtles. You could have Leonardo dressed as Ryu, Michelangelo dressed as Blanka, Donatello dressed as Dhalsim, Raphael dressed as Zangief, Casey Jones dressed as Ken, April dressed as Chun Li, Shredder dressed as M. Bison, etc.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:29 AM   #74
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Playmates' next move....
Release all the shoto characters (characters wearing gi for those of you not familliar. Like Ryu, Ken, Dan, Akuma, Sean as well as stronger variants like Evil Ryu, Shin Akuma, Violent Ken etc) using ryu's body but different paint job.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:58 AM   #75
Leo656
The Franchise

But that's exactly what any toy company that charges less than $60 per to-... er, "collectible" would do, though. I'm confused by this joke.

I'd even swear several other Street Fighter lines over the years have already done exactly that, although I don't have them in front of me. But I'd swear that most of the time Ryu and Ken are just head swaps, and Ryu and Evil Ryu are just repaints.

Playmates are generally the sh*ts but I don't think it's really fair to crack on them for doing what every single toy company already does insofar as reuse. That's just piling on. They give us enough legit reasons to make fun of their products, I don't think we need to make up any new ones.

Unless it wasn't a joke and simply a prediction. In which case... well, it would in fact make good business sense on their end, lazy or not.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:32 AM   #76
mikey0
Foot Elite

The first two TMNT Vs. Street Fighter sets are on BBTS.

Leo Vs. Ryu: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...content=Toybro

Mike vs. Chun Li: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...content=Toybro
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 02:13 PM   #77
kizer17
Thug

Is $50 the real retail value I wonder for these two packs. I mean it is just playmates not neca/super7.
kizer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 02:29 PM   #78
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizer17 View Post
Is $50 the real retail value I wonder for these two packs. I mean it is just playmates not neca/super7.
Most Playmates 2-packs go for $49
Pre-pandemic prices around $29
Real value $5

Last edited by Dask; 06-08-2022 at 04:38 PM.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:19 PM   #79
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Now that it looks like $50 a pop you can count me out of this $#!tshow for sure. Lol.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:24 PM   #80
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
So can someone explain the legalities of that one to me? I thought Playmates was generally stingy with the TMNT license, which is why NECA and Super7 only get to do theirs in small numbers and outside of regular mass-market retail? Hasbro is another mass-market retail toy company, and so it kind of baffles me how they'd end up making nice with Playmates in order to do the MMPR cross-over line. Were those figures only sold online, or something? I confess, I don't pay that close attention, which is why I'm asking.

I mean, I guess it's not unheard of. Both McFarlane and Spinmaster are doing DC toys at the moment, and both at retail, but I think the variable there is that they're in no way "competing" with each other, as the McFarlane stuff is high-end collectible stuff and the Spinmaster stuff are 4-inch toys for very young children, so they're only barely even playing the same "sport", as it were.

I'unno, all the rights stuff with licensed toys can be very confusing.
Once Nick bought tmnt the whole toy world opened up for other companies.

Nick, when buying the brand, honored the exclusive contract but put in more caveats.

Playmates has the master license but that only really gives them first right of refusal. What that means is this. If someone wants to make shogun tmnt figures for instance playmates gets to say they want to do it first. They also have to show an effort that they are doing it and not just say they are.

But if they pass then someone like super7 Could do it as part of their shogun line.

Also lots of these collector 2packs like the release ones with triceratops and shredder etc or the cobra Kai and SF2 packs are all about keep other companies doing tmnt like S7 and neca OUT of the toy isle. These are playmates way of saying “look we have collector tmnt product in this scale (6 or 7 inch) and at the same price point so neca can’t do it because we are making an effort so therefore they can’t be here”

That why neca’s product is classified as collectibles and not toys.

But nick is having less and less of playmates **** hence why we have been getting more and more product over the course of them buying tmnt.

Nick wants to make money and if they feel playmates is standing in their way of making more money they will push them aside. Case in point with the hasbro tmnt/power rangers packs. Playmates got very very scared that their grip and agreement may end hence we not see a rush of these cobra Kai and SF2 packs into market.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote