The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 10-26-2020, 04:52 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Fear of heights?

Do you have one? Though my question is more nuanced. When I was a kid it didn't seem to bother me at all (I had the highest tree around and would climb it to the top and see the whole city in my backyard, would even build semi tree houses in it). Yet now as a much older man... I find myself suddenly cringing in certain circumstances. Like, up on a high up bridge where cars are dots below you... do you feel the same? Can such a fear grow with age? Even illogically? And why?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:59 AM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

Kinda. I definitely avoid high places if I can help it. Sometimes in a work environment I've had to just deal with it, but I generally prefer not to. Like I'd have to be up high on the ladder or forklift in my old warehouse job. And of course for wrestling I occasionally have to jump on a guy from 8-12 feet up, but I'm not especially very good at it. It's a lot higher than it looks once you're up there.

I remember when I was a kid my class went on a trip to the Statue of Liberty and we were all walking around on the base. That was pretty cool but looking back I don't know how I handled it so well. I don't think I'd be so calm now for some reason.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:56 AM   #3
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I do actually. When it comes to climbing up thinks such as tall ladders, I sometimes get afraid I will fall and crack something. Though it never happened thankfully. Like what Leo says, for a work environment, I can put up with it because I'm always careful but would prefer not to climb one and would rather hold the ladder. Climbing the little ladders are okay but the really tall ladders, I'd rather not. Preforming tasks like reaching a ceiling light depends on how high the ceiling is.

What I'm really afraid of is super high rides like roller coasters especially the one that go really high and drop down extremely fast. I'll never go to Six Flags because that's all their rides. Never bothered to go on rides like the Superman one or Supreme Scream from Knott's.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:38 AM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

I wouldn't climb a ladder to go to a roof of a house, at any rate. But looking off an apartment terrace or a high skyscraper and looking down as long as there is a railing or glass protecting you from falling I'm fine.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:48 AM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Yes. There's a little monkey inside my brain that starts gibbering if the fall is more than I think I can survive relatively intact.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:50 AM   #6
ABrown
Banned

When I have to climb a ladder at my second job, I sometimes remind myself not to look down. I mean I don't think that have an irrantional fear of heights. But when I do look down from up there, I realize it would be quite a fall.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:07 AM   #7
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I went to one of those rock climbing places with my kid, and saw these tiny little girls just scrambling up the thing without a problem.

I didn't have time to sign in and strap up, but now I'm gonna give it a try.

If those elementary school girls can do it, I gotta do it. I gotta try, man. I gotta try...
Old 10-26-2020, 09:21 AM   #8
neatoman
Emperor

My mom has a fear of height to the point where she's uncomfortable looking out windows from a tall place. It can be a rational fear, like when you're standing on top of a tall but narrow hill, I actually get a little scared then. It's just that when you should rationally know you're safe (like if there's a tall fence in the way) it shouldn't bother you.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:47 PM   #9
Icebot
Foot Elite

I’m afraid of super high Ferris wheels and sometimes very tall bridges, other than that not so much.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #10
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Yes. There's a little monkey inside my brain that starts gibbering if the fall is more than I think I can survive relatively intact.
Which I find perfectly understandable. I don't have a fear of heights, just a fear of death.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:09 PM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Pretty much. Situations that are more enclosed don't bother me much (Airplane? No problem), but too open, like tall ladders, a lot of high rides (most roller coasters are a pass), or places where the ledge is rather low, etc... hell no.

Generally I have no issue at all with bridges, unless it's like this one... Low sides, no shoulder whatsoever, and long as heck... I will cross it (though it's been some years), but this here is horrifying, esp as I've only ever crossed it sitting on the passenger side with a good view over that low wall.

Would be so easy to die on that thing. Some poor guy driving a tracker trailer died a few years ago when high winds blew his truck off of it.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:27 PM   #12
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

I'm not afraid per se.... it's those damn go pro vids that get me. All shaky and crap like they're going to fall (some do)
Last Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 01:26 AM   #13
Sumac
Banned

Heights make me uncomfortable, but not to the point of panicking.
Also, I think, it's not even heights, but understanding that you are standing on the edge.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 03:19 AM   #14
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

Disturbing to see kids climbing Golden Gate - a view to get killed indeed

(not to mention they put other peoples lifes at risk should they fall onto cars)
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 03:28 AM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, it's weird for me. Again, as a kid... no problemo. Like, I never liked roller coasters or "extreme" rides, but I'd still ride them to not be a square. I remember once my dad offered to give me $500 to do the bungy jump at a fair and I cowered out of it. But I don't think most people would do that, either. My daughter has done far crazier stuff than me already, and she's 12.

Planes? Well, I've always been mortified. But it's a different sort of mortification. As in, I'm horrified (particularly on takeoff and landing) but I can deal. But if it's just me walking across a bridge where I can see it's like 2 miles down... I lose my ****. Like if you looked at me you wouldn't know, but inside I'm freaking out.

Maybe I should paint the picture better. I was in Tacoma area of WA. There is this bridge that is literally like 3000 feet above the freeway. Fantastic area to shoot movie stuff, which we did. But it's a narrow bridge, and we shot it early in the morning, like 3 AM. So there is like crackheads weaving around us on foot asking us what movie we're filming (and for spare change) while cars are weaving around us while I can't help but look over the low rail where it is certain death if I was to so much as trip over a can or anything, really. And as the minutes became hours the mind starts to go. As in, "Damn. If there was an earthquake like right now... jeepers... we're all worm food." And so on.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 11-08-2020 at 03:34 AM.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:41 PM   #16
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

I survived a plane crash as a young kid/teen... fell 600 feet out of the air and shouldnt be alive... AFTER, i flew to the West Coast on an airliner pretty regularly.

Flying does not bother me! but open air heights... send me into a Vietnam-vet-like mode where I literally sweat and mentally break down. YES!

in college (about 15 years ago), my girlfriend (now wife) and i hiked a lot. We live in the Foothills of Appalachia SO... we topped a lot of mountains... I cant do it anymore! my trauma is legion and it starts with heights.

Last edited by PizzaPower1985; 11-10-2020 at 06:47 PM.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:36 AM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985 View Post
I survived a plane crash as a young kid/teen... fell 600 feet out of the air and shouldnt be alive... AFTER, i flew to the West Coast on an airliner pretty regularly.
What? That's insane. How did you fall out of the airplane or you mean you fell inside the plane 600 feet?
Old 06-06-2022, 02:36 PM   #18
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I read it as the plane fell 600 feet? Better than one plummeting from miles up, I suppose, but that's still going to hurt pretty bad.

Likewise, if it's enclosed it doesn't really bother me so much, but open air? Forget it. So, most roller coasters are a big no for me, there is only small select handful I've been on.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 03:46 PM   #19
IMJ
Emperor

You could put me up in the skydeck of the Sears Tower or in a plane and I'm fascinated by it. But up on the roof of my house and my knees feel all wobbly... lmao!

I have this fear of heights that involve those heights that I could fall from and survive, but wind up incredibly.... broken from.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:51 PM   #20
Prowler
Emperor

I've been to the top of the Eiffel Tower before. Was a good experience overall. Wasn't afraid of falling from it or anything.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote