The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 01-06-2023, 09:53 PM   #1561
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Thank you, I knew I couldn't have been the only one bothered by Mikey's head size. I demand this movie sell a Mikey bobble head if they're going to go with that.

edit: Their size vs shell is kind of like those toys 2012 had that grow in water, but only half way grown.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 01-06-2023 at 10:01 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 10:13 PM   #1562
terrorblade
Foot Soldier

Now that we have a much better look at the design, it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Still way too Fred Wolf-y but it could have been a lot worse.
terrorblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 02:29 AM   #1563
Sumac
Banned

Anyone has those pictures saved or copied somehow? They have been deleted.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 05:00 AM   #1564
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Anyone has those pictures saved or copied somehow? They have been deleted.
Here you go.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 05:54 AM   #1565
neatoman
Emperor

I noticed that the handles are colored to resemble the ones of the original action figures, like that same weird shade of orange that was probably meant to be brown but still clearly orange... Why not just go full out here and make the metal parts orange too if you love how those toys looked?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 07:23 AM   #1566
Slash-Dash
Foot Soldier

very cool... now lets see some villains!
Slash-Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 09:14 AM   #1567
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash-Dash View Post
very cool... now lets see some villains!
Probably too early for that.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 10:17 AM   #1568
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I like them, better than everything we've seen after 2003. I'm not a fan of Don's glasses and Mike's braces and weird head proportions but the rest is more than ok. Raph is really good actually. As a kid I would've loved them.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 11:01 AM   #1569
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Will never be a fan of the glasses on Don, but at least they got rid of the stupid buck teeth. These designs are somehow more OT than the OT.
Old 01-07-2023, 11:30 AM   #1570
IMJ
Emperor

It looks to me like it's "Rise" but re-decoed just enough so as to appeal to O.G. fans. I wouldn't be surprised if this movie was actually some re-purposed Rise movie plot that got canned.

Happens in Hollywood with scripts and content all the time.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 11:42 AM   #1571
AquaParade
Banned

I think that is Nickelodeon continually trying to put their stamp on TMNT. Maybe they want to be the ones to definitively give the turtles their own visual identity.

Because ever since they bought TMNT from Laird, we have seen repeated motifs, like Raph’s mask, having a crack in his shell, etc or Donatello having a reoccurring gap tooth and pair of glasses, Mikey being small, and so on.

Those differences versus a group of turtles that more closely resemble each other has sort of become a quickly identifiable visual differentiator between the two eras of TMNT. Modern ninja turtles never share the same exact body type or wardrobe.

I suppose they justify Mikey’s braces by having him be the turtle who most wants to belong to the world above. I guess it could work as a showing of his desperate attempt to fit in, but even with an explanation like that, I’m not sure the idea will win me over.

Here’s hoping when I see the trailer, the vision will come together and I’ll find something to enjoy. If not, my expectations are at least in check.

I guess my low-bar is the 2012 show. I think that’s a decent TMNT “product”, that I can respect and enjoy, if not love. The movie has a way bigger budget, but who knows if the sensibilities will appeal to me. The 2012 show is painfully cheap looking but it managed to capture the right tone for TMNT, given the intense restrictions that come with being a Saturday morning cartoon.

Basically, this movie needs to be better than the 2012 show, for me to enjoy it.
It needs to capture the right tone, because we already know it’s going to look and sound relatively nice.

With that in mind, it’s almost too bad that they didn’t just give this film to Ciero Nieli. I imagine he could do something that pleases both fans and Nickelodeon, given a bigger budget and way more room to play.

Last edited by AquaParade; 01-07-2023 at 11:59 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 12:04 PM   #1572
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Here you go.
Thank you.

Ew. They look like FW designs run through the Looney Tunes filter. Or LCD filter, what with the big eyes and weird proportions in general (though, those most likely for the sake of dynamic poses). All in all, not a fan.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 02:23 PM   #1573
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Designs look like a 3D design giving a somewhat 2D look, so maybe they really are going with a Spiderverse kind of angle. IF they made it look kind of comic-bookish like that, that at least might be cool to see done.
Old 01-07-2023, 04:11 PM   #1574
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

I’m sick and tired of the “glasses are for nerds” stereotype (even though I, myself, am a nerd who happens to wear glasses).

I mean, I’d like for the turtles to look a little bit different from each other, like the 2012 turtles, but come on.

At least they’re not Sonic Boom ripoffs like the Rise turtles, I’ll give them that.
Old 01-07-2023, 06:13 PM   #1575
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Better look at the weapons from what might be a merch preview

Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 06:17 PM   #1576
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yes. Everyone should be very afraid of and take very seriously the ninja clan that puts stickers on their weapons.

And good, I'm glad there's another M written on the nunchuks. It's possible from the different skin tone, different body type, accessories, radically different head, braces and letter on his belt I still wouldn't be able to tell Michelangelo apart.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 06:51 PM   #1577
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Just a single letter? Psh. "Rules" (Rulez?) is written on Leo's tsuba. (Though the image appears to have been flipped.) Going to assume his name is on the other blurred half we can't see any writing on.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 01-07-2023 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2023, 07:23 PM   #1578
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yes. Everyone should be very afraid of and take very seriously the ninja clan that puts stickers on their weapons.

And good, I'm glad there's another M written on the nunchuks. It's possible from the different skin tone, different body type, accessories, radically different head, braces and letter on his belt I still wouldn't be able to tell Michelangelo apart.
I feel that in any incarnation of the TMNT Splinter would've said, somewhere along the way, that weapons training should be taken seriously and always respected - that ninja weapons aren't toys. It feels like a "Splinter character moment" that would hold form across all iterations of the franchise.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 07:43 PM   #1579
AquaParade
Banned

In my mind, Splinter isn’t that hands-on. It’s more like he expects them to train, not get caught, and carry out any bidding on his behalf. I wouldn’t him imagine getting concerned about stickers on weapons.

But obviously there is no definitive Splinter and it’s subjective.

The weapons do look hideous though. It’s like they thought if they made them look like Legos or something, maybe parents wouldn’t be as upset.

Last edited by AquaParade; 01-08-2023 at 05:01 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 10:20 PM   #1580
Dpooly84
Banned

The handles look like shite but the blades look cool, if I was a kid I would have liked these. Just my honest opinion.
Dpooly84 is offline   Reply With Quote