The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 03-15-2021, 02:58 PM   #161
Leo656
The Franchise

"Mobile Games." Feh.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:18 PM   #162
CyberCubed
Overlord

Mobile phone games aren't "real" games. You have a demo of a game and you have to continually pay real money or gamble to see the rest of the game. It's absurd.

That's why "real" games will always be superior. You buy a game and it comes complete besides if you want to get any DLC for it, but the core game is finished for you to play.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:25 PM   #163
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Mobile phone games aren't "real" games. You have a demo of a game and you have to continually pay real money or gamble to see the rest of the game. It's absurd.

That's why "real" games will always be superior. You buy a game and it comes complete besides if you want to get any DLC for it, but the core game is finished for you to play.
You don't have to pay real money to play it. You can unlock that stuff. But you have to play for hours, weeks, months or a year to get all the good stuff.

My issues with the mobile games is they get repetitive after a while, and your playing the same missions over and over again just to grind.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:18 PM   #164
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Yeah, you're still paying but with your time, for me it's actually more expensive to grind than to buy the microtransactions. They also aren't "full" games it's more of a "waste your money to get these characters you like", they prey on completists. I hate them and yet I still get tricked to play one every once in a while.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:10 AM   #165
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Well, nothing's worse than the Capcom model. Add a couple of fighters and a word to the title and resell the same game at full price, over and over again. Same as if it's 1993 all over again.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:39 AM   #166
Leo656
The Franchise

I think the differences between "Super Street Fighter II" and "vanilla" SFII were rather substantial, enough to warrant its existence at least. At the same time, it didn't feel quite different enough to earn that coveted "SFIII" title. But it was still a marked improvement over the original.

Having played the entire series comprehensively for the very first time last year, thanks to the handy Anniversary Collection, the nuances between all the different releases really jumped out at me.

I mean it's a very fashionable criticism of that series, and it's not altogether untrue (the common joke back then was that nobody at Capcom had ever learned to count to III and so we were stuck with all these "updates"), but they DID make some pretty substantial tweaks and improvements as the games went on. It would be harder to swallow if not for the fact that the "upgrades" did substantially improve the graphics, animation and gameplay.

It just got on people's nerves at the time because they were all like "Enough! Get to SFIII already!" And then they did, and nobody liked it as much as II anyway. Some could argue that they simply withheld it for too long; I personally think it was because they removed too many iconic and popular characters, at least initially. The truth was probably a little of both. I *think* I like the Alpha series better than the III series, but it's kinda hard to say, as I'm not particularly good at SF in general and my experience with each of them is very limited.

Regardless... as easy as it is to poke fun, the games back then did improve incrementally with each addition or "upgrade", so I really can't take much issue with that. As for nowadays... whole different conversation.

Old 03-16-2021, 02:48 AM   #167
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I think the differences between "Super Street Fighter II" and "vanilla" SFII were rather substantial, enough to warrant its existence at least. At the same time, it didn't feel quite different enough to earn that coveted "SFIII" title. But it was still a marked improvement over the original.

Having played the entire series comprehensively for the very first time last year, thanks to the handy Anniversary Collection, the nuances between all the different releases really jumped out at me.

I mean it's a very fashionable criticism of that series, and it's not altogether untrue (the common joke back then was that nobody at Capcom had ever learned to count to III and so we were stuck with all these "updates"), but they DID make some pretty substantial tweaks and improvements as the games went on. It would be harder to swallow if not for the fact that the "upgrades" did substantially improve the graphics, animation and gameplay.

It just got on people's nerves at the time because they were all like "Enough! Get to SFIII already!" And then they did, and nobody liked it as much as II anyway. Some could argue that they simply withheld it for too long; I personally think it was because they removed too many iconic and popular characters, at least initially. The truth was probably a little of both. I *think* I like the Alpha series better than the III series, but it's kinda hard to say, as I'm not particularly good at SF in general and my experience with each of them is very limited.

Regardless... as easy as it is to poke fun, the games back then did improve incrementally with each addition or "upgrade", so I really can't take much issue with that. As for nowadays... whole different conversation.
Yeah, it was fine in the 90s. Mostly. But in an era when DLC and all that is the norm... they're still doing it? In the 2000s, 2010s and now? Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:53 AM   #168
Leo656
The Franchise

I would definitely expect that in the Here and Now most of those upgrades would indeed be DLC, yes.

I've yet to play SFV anyway, though. The most recently-released one I played was... Ultra SFIV, I think? Can't remember if it was Super or Ultra. One'a them!

The one I've played most recently was the SFII HD Remix that came out some years back, which I'd completely forgotten to download until recently. Pretty spiffy!

Old 03-16-2021, 03:02 AM   #169
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
The one I've played most recently was the SFII HD Remix that came out some years back, which I'd completely forgotten to download until recently. Pretty spiffy!
I did get that... way back on PS3, I think.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:49 PM   #170
Tortuglio
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Summary from a Discord user who listened to the conversation:
Thank you for the summary!

Quote:
I think the fact that the bar is now set exactly as high as it was set in 1992 is a little bit troubling, or should be.
I get what you are saying but i don't agree completely. Although is true that beat-em-ups aren't the most cretive type of games, i think we've come a long way since "Renegade" or "Final fight". They CAN evolve into other stuff, mixing them with other genres or adding new mechanics like multiple paths, improving in controls, etc. Will this be the case? Well, will have to wait and see. Whatever it is, i just hope it is a great fun game, even if it means then sticking to that because it sells.

Which brings me to what i DO agree with, i would like seeing other genres and tackling the Mirage verse for once. But sadly, i guess it's going to take even longer for that ever happening.
Tortuglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:09 PM   #171
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Just over one month removed from the reveal of the game and not a single new reveal or "leak" of gameplay footage or concept art. I find that strange.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:15 PM   #172
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

I’m still thinking we got a year before the actual release date. The Streets of Rage 4 DLC has been their focus as of late. Guess we’ll see.
RaphaelinSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:53 PM   #173
Iroh
Hench Mutant

I am sad to say this but I feel this game is going to become boring after a one time playthrough. By the look of the graphics and by what we have seen, I feel that this game will be going to the clearance bin quickly. What I would like to see in a TMNT game is the mirage comics black and white motif with the cell shaded characters. Let us play through the 80s comic storyline first. Then, let us venture through to some IDW comic storyline too. The game will progress from black and white to color and the characters would evolve according to the art style in the comics. It may be just me but THAT will be a game worth buying!
Old 04-13-2021, 10:41 PM   #174
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroh View Post
I am sad to say this but I feel this game is going to become boring after a one time playthrough.
Kind of like all of the other TMNT Final Fight clones.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:26 AM   #175
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Kind of like all of the other TMNT Final Fight clones.
Nah. They're the perfect length for what they are to be infinitely replayable. Especially co-op. One of the best things about those old beat-'em-ups is that they don't stick around long enough to wear out their welcome. Hour and change, and you're on to the next thing.

It's like, I always have a half hour to burn through TMNT Arcade or Turtles In Time if I feel like it. Something like "Elder Scrolls: Oblivion" is a hundred thousand times "bigger" and "better" as a game in every way, but I have a very strong feeling that once I'm done with it I'm gonna be "Done" with it. That's the downside of THAT kind of game.

I think someone just plain doesn't care for beat-'em-ups.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:49 AM   #176
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Nah. They're the perfect length for what they are to be infinitely replayable. Especially co-op. One of the best things about those old beat-'em-ups is that they don't stick around long enough to wear out their welcome. Hour and change, and you're on to the next thing.

It's like, I always have a half hour to burn through TMNT Arcade or Turtles In Time if I feel like it. Something like "Elder Scrolls: Oblivion" is a hundred thousand times "bigger" and "better" as a game in every way, but I have a very strong feeling that once I'm done with it I'm gonna be "Done" with it. That's the downside of THAT kind of game.

I think someone just plain doesn't care for beat-'em-ups.
Good beat 'em ups are almost therapeutic. I'm sure they've helped to keep me from every seeing a real therapist. J/K

View my sketch work!
Old 04-14-2021, 10:15 AM   #177
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

OH ****.

I was wrong, TMNT: Shredder's Revenge was on today's IndieWorld Showcase from Nintendo and they announced it'll be released later this year.

Showed gameplay too, but I've been in a work meeting - haha.

https://twitter.com/Dotemu/status/1382367206420406277

Nintendo Switch confirmed!

Last edited by RaphaelinSTL; 04-14-2021 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #178
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
OH ****.

I was wrong, TMNT: Shredder's Revenge was on today's IndieWorld Showcase from Nintendo and they announced it'll be released later this year.

Showed gameplay too, but I've been in a work meeting - haha.

https://twitter.com/Dotemu/status/1382367206420406277

Nintendo Switch confirmed!
Glad they must have read my post last night and busted out some new promos!

View my sketch work!
Old 04-14-2021, 10:51 AM   #179
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detai...evenge-switch/

Official Nintendo game page!
Old 04-14-2021, 11:08 AM   #180
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Vernon!

Found this on a Facebook post:
https://www.facebook.com/NinjaTurtle...36464034897828

Looks like Bebop is taking over all of Channel Six's programming, haha!

View my sketch work!