The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #61
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

From Wikipedia

Quote:
The films have been in production since 2007, and in that time Marvel Studios has produced 15 films, with 11 more in various stages of production. The series has collectively grossed over $11.7 billion at the global box office, making it the highest-grossing film franchise of all-time.
Will kids in the future even have the attention span to sit through 26 movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #62
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
I guess this is where I disagree with everyone, I perfer when I go to see a movie about a character, it be about that character and their supporting cast. You don't need aquaman popping in to bring back a Kryptonite spear, or cyborg showing up in a TV report, or the flash just popping up, saying something cryptic, and running away. Smallville's first episode did it perfectly, when Lex's dad was reading a newspaper with the headline 'queen industries CEO missing', or Clark looking at an internet headline about a guy running at super speed.
Why can't those other heroes act as supporting characters?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:59 PM   #63
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Why can't those other heroes act as supporting characters?
Yeah, if these superheroes are meant to be peers, I like to see them acting as such.

I think it all comes down to balance. Of course when you read a comic about Spider-Man you want it to mainly feature Spider-Man (or whoever the star is), but that doesn't mean other characters can't pop in to help out or offer information or even just say hello. One of my favorite books as a kid was a collection of Spider-Man's greatest team-ups over the years, featuring Beast, Dr. Strange, the Fantastic Four, and others
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:08 PM   #64
sdp
Megan Fox = April

It's easier than ever to watch old movies now thanks to the internet though. It's also the reason as to why Avengers 4 and 5 are going to act as a "reboot".

I think the most logical thing and what they're going to do is have the movies be less linked, at least when it comes to consequences, and not many more "building up" for big events. Treat Marvel like James Bond, no one is required to watch all of the movies but you know who James Bond is, same with Marevel heroes, no one needs to see the first ____ film to know who _____ is. Well if they're big enough names at least. This also means that when they get a new actor they don't have to, they can just keep that franchise in hiatus for a few years and bring it back with a new actor.

Really, it's what Sony should've done with Spider-Man, just get a new actor and don't reboot it, people know who the character is, tell new stories even if it's an entirely different cast. All superhero movies need to go the James Bond route.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:30 PM   #65
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Honestly, I have to agree. While it's cool to see your favorite heroes (or villains) team up, it's getting really tiresome. Crossovers in general become less exciting and less unique, the more it happens.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:45 PM   #66
ToTheNines
[sic]

I don't even consider it a crossover when it's Marvel/Marvel or DC/DC. Those characters have inhabited the same worlds ever since I was a kid, and way before that.

I hope we still get excellent standalone movies (most recently Guardians 2 and Doctor Strange minus the Thor scene), but I never want to go back to the pre-shared universe days. For superheroes, that is.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:02 PM   #67
chrisdude
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Yeah, if these superheroes are meant to be peers, I like to see them acting as such.

I think it all comes down to balance. Of course when you read a comic about Spider-Man you want it to mainly feature Spider-Man (or whoever the star is), but that doesn't mean other characters can't pop in to help out or offer information or even just say hello. One of my favorite books as a kid was a collection of Spider-Man's greatest team-ups over the years, featuring Beast, Dr. Strange, the Fantastic Four, and others
This new Spider-Man movie features Iron Man. I can barely wrap my head around that. When I was watching Spider-Man movies, I couldn't have told you Iron Man's identity. Now he will be woven into the story of the Spider-Man young kids will grow up with. It may not mean anything if the kid is 6. For people who read comics, it's natural. But that's not most people. But maybe it's a shift. Maybe this will continue to be the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Many people would tell you that the greatest Batman story ever was Miller's TDKR. It heavily features Superman and other Leaguers. Don't recall anyone complaining about that.
Fair point.

However, personally, I gave up trying to read All-Star Superman. As I recall, the first half was a parade of names that meant nothing to me.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:33 PM   #68
CyberCubed
Overlord

I vaguely knew who the Avengers were as a kid, even if I never watched any of their cartoons or read the comics.

Then again I grew up in the 80's and 90's, so I had no idea who they were besides whenever they guest starred in Spiderman or X-men cartoons.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #69
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior

Iron Man being in Spider-Man is ok if it is for one time, one movie, and done properly. I'm glad they're bringing a little change. But not everyone likes change, some are static, they want the same thing over and over.

"I am absolute, lower your head!"
Splinter the boss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snakethecuck