The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-07-2018, 01:17 AM   #161
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
Could you at least tell us if it was better, worse or about the same as the last movie then????
I did, I said it's not as good as the last movie. So Jurassic World 1 is a lot better. Actually Jurassic Park 2 is better than this movie.

I list them best to worse

1. Jurassic Park
2. Jurassic World
3. Jurassic Park 2
4. Jurassic World 2
5. Jurassic Park 3

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:05 AM   #162
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Yeah, it's not bad, but does have a couple of issues

Spoiler:
The villain and the twist with the kid are major weak areas I feel...I think the clone twist could have been given better focus, hell maybe she could have some dormant reptilian powers or something, she really doesn't do much except set up James Cromwell's death later on, and after that it turns into a drinking game where you take a shot every time she screams. She finally does something at the end of the movie to set up the third, which initially I had an issue with, but actually came to appreciate how poetic it was

Jeff Goldbum's only in this for about a few minutes, showing up at the beginning and end of the movie. His scenes in the trailer are basically all you get of him here, and hell the trailer spoils part of the ending of the movie because his speech there is the final speech in the movie.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:49 AM   #163
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Why does it seem like these Jurassic World films are plot paralleling the first 2 movies (at least based on the "Fallen Kingdom" trailer so far)? Or is it just me?

Jurassic Park & Jurassic World both have the main plot of a tourist amusement park that goes to chaos as the dinosaurs are unleashed.

The Lost World & Fallen Kingdom both seem to have the main plot of scavenging the business remains of the fallen company; in handling, researching, and capturing dinosaurs that are now roaming on the abandon island, while other businesses try to take advantage of the failed tourist park business and trying to expand the dinosaur-exposure experience to a worldwide magnitude.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:34 AM   #164
sdp
-

I just watched it and I liked it. The movie is tonally totally different than what most are expecting I'm guessing (then again I didn't watch the tv spots or final trailer so maybe that's already spoiled?).

The movie is not perfect but there's enough there to make it a cool sequel, especially since it does something new with the franchise as it's kind of a horror esque movie. I wrote more about my experience at the premiere on my site.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #165
sdp
-

Well I wrote my spoiler filled problems with the movie here. I want to actively discuss spoilers now but I can't since most of my circles haven't seen it yet.

I don't like what this movie sets up for JW3 but I did love the horror like story of this one.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:21 PM   #166
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

I liked the opening scene. That concludes my list of positives for this movie.

The script was a mess. They need to get Trevorrow away from these scripts. Thank goodness Trevorrow got fired from Episode IX.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:48 PM   #167
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I dislike that annoying Franklin character, everytime the camera focuses on his face I just... ugh.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:54 PM   #168
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Saw Jurassic Park 5. Better than 4... but not very good. Seems really desperate in grasping at straws to take things in this series any place new. It really doesn't have much to say. The "Indoraptor"? Government shadow agencies bidding small amounts of money for dinosaurs for... war? A cloned girl inserted to make us see that "we're the same as the dinosaurs"? I don't get the hybrid stuff, and it's two movies in a row now... and the last three now have been trying to "out T-rex the T-rex"... stop that. Best moment was the brontosaurus on the dock as they left. The rest is kind of a sub-end-of-"Lost World" affair. I don't think any movies after this will be even this compelling... I guess, they're just supposed to go around and try and collect them now, Pokemon-style? That doesn't seem very interesting.

It's a lot like Westworld (which makes sense... Westworld was Crichton's Jurassic Park warmup)... the whole thing is the robot revolt. Jurassic Park, the longer you can have the park believably and functionally open, the more mileage you can get. "Jurassic World" presented another chance, but they just repeated the exact same story as the first movie except inserting a lame FAKE dinosaur. The longer you spend building that up and living in that (whether it's the park in the JP movies or Westworld in Westworld), the more you can get out of that.

Better writing, the last Jurassic World could have had crazy stuff confined to an isolated incident paid off by rich investors... leaving future movies to continue delving into that pot. But it left things in exactly the same place as the end of the first movie. To be fair, I'm not sure what else this new movie could have done.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:30 PM   #169
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I liked Fallen Kingdom. It sets up the 3rd movie in an interesting way. Plus there's even a little post credit scene. Which is a first for this franchise.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:25 PM   #170
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I liked Fallen Kingdom. It sets up the 3rd movie in an interesting way. Plus there's even a little post credit scene. Which is a first for this franchise.
There is? What is it? I didn't stay.

I didn't get what they were going with tonally with the ending. Is it... "Yay! T-Rex and velociraptor are gonna eat people in cities now!"? Because that's pretty sadistic. Is it... "The dinosaurs win! They're reclaiming their empire!" Because they won't. Or what? It doesn't make any sense and I wasn't sure what the movie wanted me to feel. There wasn't THAT many dinosaurs released... there was like 30, tops, in that room. Surely a week with the National Guard and Army combing the area would clean up (i.e., completely murder) all dinos roaming around.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:27 PM   #171
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

I didn't get what they were going with tonally with the ending. Is it... "Yay! T-Rex and velociraptor are gonna eat people in cities now!"? Because that's pretty sadistic. Is it... "The dinosaurs win! They're reclaiming their empire!" Because they won't. Or what? It doesn't make any sense and I wasn't sure what the movie wanted me to feel. There wasn't THAT many dinosaurs released... there was like 30, tops, in that room. Surely a week with the National Guard and Army combing the area would clean up (i.e., completely murder) all dinos roaming around.
Maybe they were homaging the final scene from this American "classic":

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:58 PM   #172
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

It was good, but I just wish that the film had better story.

Spoiler:
I did like how this movie set up the plot for the next film. People are now living in a world where dinosaurs are roaming free, especially in the United States. Next time we will see if man or dinosaur really is the dominant species.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:13 PM   #173
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
Spoiler:
I did like how this movie set up the plot for the next film. People are now living in a world where dinosaurs are roaming free, especially in the United States. Next time we will see if man or dinosaur really is the dominant species.
Yeah, all 30 of them. Wow, so suspenseful. I bet they'll totally win against the Army, Air Force, Marines, National Guard, and tactical missiles.

There's not even that many really dangerous ones, is there? There's just the one old, beat-up T-rex somewhere and the one velociraptor... who's mostly tame.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:11 AM   #174
sdp
-

Quote:
Saw Jurassic Park 5. Better than 4... but not very good. Seems really desperate in grasping at straws to take things in this series any place new. It really doesn't have much to say. The "Indoraptor"? Government shadow agencies bidding small amounts of money for dinosaurs for... war? A cloned girl inserted to make us see that "we're the same as the dinosaurs"? I don't get the hybrid stuff, and it's two movies in a row now... and the last three now have been trying to "out T-rex the T-rex"... stop that. Best moment was the brontosaurus on the dock as they left. The rest is kind of a sub-end-of-"Lost World" affair. I don't think any movies after this will be even this compelling... I guess, they're just supposed to go around and try and collect them now, Pokemon-style? That doesn't seem very interesting.
All of those things that you mention whether you like it or not are very Chrichton-esque. This movie would've definitely gotten his blessing more than any of the previous sequels. A few of those things are hinted at in the two books.

They told us this would be the last movie with a hybrid. I don't think it feels like The Lost World, I would've liked it if Fallen Kingdom was more like TLW and it took place mostly on the island. Catching dinosaurs Pokemon style won't happen but it would be awesome.

Quote:
It's a lot like Westworld (which makes sense... Westworld was Crichton's Jurassic Park warmup)... the whole thing is the robot revolt. Jurassic Park, the longer you can have the park believably and functionally open, the more mileage you can get. "Jurassic World" presented another chance, but they just repeated the exact same story as the first movie except inserting a lame FAKE dinosaur. The longer you spend building that up and living in that (whether it's the park in the JP movies or Westworld in Westworld), the more you can get out of that.

Better writing, the last Jurassic World could have had crazy stuff confined to an isolated incident paid off by rich investors... leaving future movies to continue delving into that pot. But it left things in exactly the same place as the end of the first movie. To be fair, I'm not sure what else this new movie could have done.
I get why they destroyed the park again in JW, it's what audiences expect, and they needed a big umph, after all they didn't know JW was going to do so well. Of course those ideas would've been great, I also would've loved a movie that had to deal with the clean up of Isla Nublar, or the transporting of dinosaurs from Sorna to Nublar. Isolated instances while the park is running would've been cool as well. Again, FK would've been cool for me if it had all just taken place in the Island and the volcano being the final act and finally fixing the mistakes of TLW.

Quote:

The post credits scene is very short and should've been included in the final montage where it fit better instead of randomly separating it. Nothing cool really:
Spoiler:
pteradons flying in Las Vegas, that's it.

Quote:
Yeah, all 30 of them. Wow, so suspenseful. I bet they'll totally win against the Army, Air Force, Marines, National Guard, and tactical missiles.

There's not even that many really dangerous ones, is there? There's just the one old, beat-up T-rex somewhere and the one velociraptor... who's mostly tame.
I think that would be awesome, actually. They could make a thriller of a dinosaur in a small town (this happened in the novel but is just a short scene)

But it's not just 30 dinosaurs, there were a lot more, but remember they also sold the dinosaurs in the auction, now other companies can clone dinosaurs. Since the first movie Trevorrow told us where the trilogy was heading with really blatant "hints". That the title "Jurassic World" had another meaning than just the name of the park. So yeah by JW3 which will likely take place 3 years i the future (every JP film takes place 3 years after the previous except JW which is 10) So the whole world will be populated by dinosaurs, hence JW. I'm not a fan but whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
It was good, but I just wish that the film had better story.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post

I'm not a fan of where the series is going frankly, I like JW2 but the ending gives a set up for a JW3 I'm not a fan of.

As far as the secret ending, ugh. They don't belong in the Jurassic franchise, it wasn't even good, it should've been included with the final montage.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:28 AM   #175
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
But it's not just 30 dinosaurs, there were a lot more,
Not that we saw. When the smoke was pouring in, we saw all the dinos converging in the big room in front of the gate... and it was 30, tops. Probably less.

Quote:
but remember they also sold the dinosaurs in the auction,
None of the buyers could have possibly collected. They had to rush out of the room when the indoraptor attack happened, remember?

Quote:
now other companies can clone dinosaurs.
Which wouldn't have anything to do with the dinos released.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:40 AM   #176
sdp
-

I mean those are points are true, but it doesn't matter it's basically as good as confirmed and they'll just explain it in their viral marketing website for the next movie how 30 dinos became 1000s. Jurassic Park 6 WILL be humans living with dinosaurs. They've been setting it up for many movies now, JP///'s ending with the pteradons flying off, the JP Novels by Chrichton not only hint this but starts the book with a dinosaur in South America. JW interviews hinted at it and now JW:FK finally did it.

"There is no going back"

I'm not a fan of it, I hate it. I hope I'm wrong and we do get them hunting 30 dinosaurs int he next movie but they've basically confirmed that was the end of the trilogy. At least they confirmed Jurassic War was not happening (which weaponized dinos are also set up in both JW movies)
Old 06-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #177
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

I'm just upset they didn't address the biggest cliffhanger from JW1:

DID THE PARENTS GET DIVORCED?
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:01 AM   #178
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I wish they'd bring the kids back as adults. How much more invested would we have been in the central villain of this movie if he was a mid-30s version of the boy from the first couple of movies, now a jaded corporate suit?
Old 06-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #179
sdp
-

Yeah, instead of that generic villain whose name I can't remember or even a relative of Peter Ludlow of TLW (since he dies in TLW), why get all these new characters when there's established ones? Even Lockwood who I liked and the retcon kinda worked but Tim or Lex (the kids) would've been better.

Tim and Lex did come back in the 2010 IDW comic JP Redemption , he's not jaded but he does try to rebuild the park in Texas and things go wrong because the his partner ended up being Peter Ludlow (who is horribly scarred but somehow survived the Rex eating him in the ending of TLW) and wanted revenge on Hammond's legacy for what happened to him. Yeah the comic is trash but it was cool to see Tim back.

But take a look at Ian Malcolm (Goldblum) he was wasted and all his scenes were in the trailer, his daughter (from TLW) wanting to work for Claire would've been cool. Or the kid from JP/// who actually had experience in the island would've been a good choice to go back.

As far as the JW kids, I think it's confirmed that the parents separated. I don't know where you can see that, it's implied in the movie but they were maybe more explicit in the jr. novel adaptation or something of the like. All JP movies actually deal with kids that have divorced parents, even FK, well kinda.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:20 PM   #180
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom just crossed two major milestones today. It reached the $300 million mark at the North American box-office and also just passed $1 billion at the worldwide box-office. While the movie won't make as much as its predecessor I'm absolutely positive that Universal is still be very pleased with these results.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#59726596181f
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spanish horror, spanish whore