The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 06-12-2018, 03:41 PM   #1
ZacksSoUgly
Foot Soldier

Losing a Friend & Finding Nostalgia - Wilmington, NC

I’m flying home from North Carolina, and figured I’d kill some time and get this post written up while I sit on the plane. The flight didn't get off to a great start. I’m sitting in a middle seat. I’m hot and I’m thirsty. I'm hoping writing this will take my mind of the misery of the plane. Y’all don’t care, though. You want to see pictures, and I don’t blame you ‘cos I’m pretty excited about this myself.

I didn’t make the trip to NC for Turtle related reasons. They were just bonus reasons. I was actually there to try and see some friends I’ve known since middle school. Some neighborhood kids I was really close with until the military moved my family again. Of those friends, I was trying to spend time with one in particular. Said friend has been battling cancer for the last two years and his condition was worsening, so we wanted to reconnect in case his time was limited. His birthday was Saturday (6/9), so it made sense to try and visit him during a moment of celebration instead of being caught in the midst of the usual sadness cancer brings with it. I arrived in NC on Thursday and as I said above, his birthday was Saturday. My friend passed away Friday morning around 1:30am and none of the neighborhood friends (myself included) got to see him. He was 29yrs old.

I’m not writing this to bum you out. The reason I include these details is because my friend, like all of us, was a Turtles fan. In fact, it was one of the biggest aspects of our rekindled camaraderie. He had saw my posts on Facebook about my Turtles podcast (BooyakaShow! - which has been out of business for some time now - my apologies if you were a listener) and he was stoked that I was a dedicated Turtles fan. He would often text me and tell me that the pod and my Turtles Instagram (@ZOSOtmnt) inspired him to be himself more often and not worry about people judging his “nerdiness” or “immaturity”. We like what we like and we live our lives, right? His kind words often pushed me to be more positive and expressive with all things not just my love for Ninja Turtles. He would send pics of new toys he found at a swap meet, or ask me what comics I was reading - but my favorite texts were always about the old neighborhood. We’d reminisce in a group chat about all the trouble we got into, the girls we pursued, the games of manhunt, and the destruction of property that I will neither confirm nor deny. Our reconnection had happened at the perfect time for both of us, I believe. He appreciated being able to talk to someone about something he loved and something that wasn't about his illness. And I got to share more Turtle love with an old friend. Our friendship was airtight at one point, but had waned over the years. Our reconnection couldn't have been better. To quote the writing of Gordie from “Stand By Me” : “Although I hadn’t seen him in more than ten years, I know I’ll miss him forever.”

So now, here's the stuff y'all WANT to hear about and the reason I posted this in the movies thread. During the trip I was staying with a friend who resided in Wilmington. For some reason, I thought I had heard or read somewhere that the O’Neil family farmhouse from the original film was located in Wilmington. It’s not, but it’s close. It’s located a quick twenty-ish miles away in Currie, NC. I decided I was going to go. The friend I was crashing with had to work ’til 1pm and that gave me time to get up, head out to the farmhouse, and then get back so we could get into whatever it was we were going to get into that night. I went on Friday with my friend’s passing fresh on my mind and heart. It hurt, but it was also poetic. If his health had been up to it he definitely would’ve gone with me, so why would I deprive us both? He’d be with me in spirit.

Spoiler:

I drove out to Currie and found the farmhouse EASY. If you’re looking for it you won’t miss it. The maps app on my phone mapped me to the exact road it was on and all I typed into the search was “Currie, NC.” There’s a fence that runs along the road and a couple trees that slightly obscure the gate, and also some trees that obscure the house if you’re looking dead on or coming from the right side of the house. My approach was from the left and again, if you’re looking for it you won’t miss it. I parked alongside the fence and approached the gate. There’s a number on the gate, but I’m going to leave it a mystery so that y’all will have to adventure a bit too. It feels more worth it that way trust me. There’s also a lock on the gate. I can’t remember which Technodrome member made the trip and shared pics already, but he mentioned that the house is still used for filming and when that’s the case there will be security present. I had the place to myself. With that being said, I was also definitely trespassing - but I wasn’t going to let that stop me. I was a beautiful day and I had found the O’Neil family farmhouse. I had to get close. I had to take pictures. I had to record videos. I had to revel in the moment and I had to share my story.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

The house looks the same as it did in the 1990 film, but looks oddly maintained. I say “oddly” because it appears to have been painted a few times, but still looks to be falling apart a bit. The house is beautiful in its own way, but I couldn’t help but feel it was a bit creepy too. I was there by myself in the middle of the day and due to the blinds/shades of the windows being open I couldn’t help but feel like I was being watched. I tried to put that from my mind and just enjoy the scenery and fact that I was where I was. Looking at the house, the garage, the barn - I could see the movie taking place in my head. It wasn’t exactly the same, but the magic was there. I could see Mikey (with Raph’s voice) yelling on the barn. I could see Leo sitting under a tree meditating. As I looked across the field next to and behind the house I could see the four brothers training together. I won’t lie, it made me a bit emotional. I’ve been watching the 1990 movie since before I could understand what was going on, so being there felt special and meaningful. My own love and experience with the movie coupled with the fact that I had just lost my friend added gravity and importance.

Spoiler:

I took my pictures. I recorded my videos. I made an Instagram story to commemorate the adventure and show off the house to my fellow fans on IG who might not get to ever see it (or who may not care). I spent some time just walking around and taking in the majesty of it all. I walked around trying to place locations in my mind’s eye - where did Casey and April argue on the porch? Where were the Turtles standing in the “time to go back” scene? I was trying to replay the movie in my head as I walked through the movie in real time. I wished I had a better camera. I was shooting all my pics with my iPhone and a disposable I’d bought to take pics with the homies. All in all, though, I’d say the visit and experience turned out great. I know I enjoyed it, and I know my late friend was somewhere watching over me as I explored this place that held meaning to us both.

Spoiler:

If y’all made it this far I appreciate you. Thanks for dedicating some time to read what’s probably one of the longer posts on the forums. Writing about my friend and my little TMNT adventure has helped. It’s definitely making this plane ride go quicker, but it’s also helping to mend the wounds in my heart. I miss my friend. I wish he was still here and I know it’s going to break my heart the next time the group chat goes off and there’s no messages from him. It’s going to break my heart when I get my SDCC NECA set in the mail and I can’t text him about it. It’s going to break my heart when Rise of the TMNT starts and we can’t exchange thoughts (good or bad). Time heals all wounds, though, and I’m stoked I got to visit the “house that time forgot.”

If y’all want to see my Instagram story from the farmhouse visit you can find me here : @ZOSOtmnt. I’ve actually got another story to tell about another location I visited, but I’m going to spare y’all the time and energy and make it a different post. I'd also like to give a shout out to the homie Drew for helping me downsize and watermark the photos. He handled a lot of background work for me while I was traveling, and I'm truly grateful. Just another part of the experience that reinforces the strength of the TMNT fan community. You can find Drew on Instagram here : @tmntdrewizzle.

Thanks again, everyone. Have a good day. Turtle Power Forever!
Kevin Eastman Interview

TMNT Collecting Social Media
Instagram : @ZOSOtmnt
ZacksSoUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Farmhouse

It looks great, but does anyone know why the scenes were filmed in North Carolina? Was it so hard for the producers to find such a farmhouse in Massachusetts?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
ZacksSoUgly
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
It looks great, but does anyone know why the scenes were filmed in North Carolina? Was it so hard for the producers to find such a farmhouse in Massachusetts?
Actually, from what I've heard and read online most of the movie was filmed in North Carolina. Only select shots were actually filmed in NYC. I'd assume the reasoning comes to down to cost. New Line and Golden Harvest were making an independent film and were probably trying to do so as cost effectively as possible.
Kevin Eastman Interview

Old 06-12-2018, 06:44 PM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Nice photos! Glad you got to got see it. Does look well kept, yet a little rustic.

Sorry it didn't turn out as well with your friend though. 29?...poor guy. Condolences.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:27 PM   #5
Powder
So tired of this place

A very poignant post, thank you for sharing.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:30 PM   #6
ZacksSoUgly
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Nice photos! Glad you got to got see it. Does look well kept, yet a little rustic.

Sorry it didn't turn out as well with your friend though. 29?...poor guy. Condolences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
A very poignant post, thank you for sharing.
Thank you both for your time and kind words. I truly appreciate it.
Kevin Eastman Interview

Old 06-12-2018, 11:55 PM   #7
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I feel that you've done an exceptional job with your photography.

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. You have my deepest condolences.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:41 AM   #8
ZacksSoUgly
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
I feel that you've done an exceptional job with your photography.

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. You have my deepest condolences.
Thanks so much, Papenbrook! I wish I had a better camera, but my iPhone didn't let me down. And thanks for your condolences. I appreciate that.
Kevin Eastman Interview

Old 06-13-2018, 08:02 AM   #9
AquaParade
Banned

Great post. Thanks for sharing.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #10
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Great write up and condolences. It's awesome you guys got to reconnect. Love seeing new pics of the old shooting locations, too.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:24 AM   #11
tmntgeoff
Hench Mutant

Sorry for your loss. It's too bad he never got to see the house with you.

It was I that visited the filming locations previously. I also returned in March to visit again and like you said i felt odd being there taking pics and recording video like someone was watching me. The home has been rennovated inside but the exterior has areas that look purposely aged. Still a very surreal experience. It's like stepping into the film.
tmntgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #12
ZacksSoUgly
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Great post. Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
Great write up and condolences. It's awesome you guys got to reconnect. Love seeing new pics of the old shooting locations, too.
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the kind words. It was definitely a good way to spend part of my day.

- Zach
Kevin Eastman Interview

Old 06-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #13
ZacksSoUgly
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntgeoff View Post
Sorry for your loss. It's too bad he never got to see the house with you.

It was I that visited the filming locations previously. I also returned in March to visit again and like you said i felt odd being there taking pics and recording video like someone was watching me. The home has been rennovated inside but the exterior has areas that look purposely aged. Still a very surreal experience. It's like stepping into the film.
Thanks, Geoff. Appreciate the kind words and definitely wish my homie could've gone with.

And yes! It was definitely a surreal feeling. It felt as if I could see the Turtles there in the past as I was there in the future. It was really cool getting to see it in person.
Kevin Eastman Interview

Old 06-13-2018, 11:19 PM   #14
tmntgeoff
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacksSoUgly View Post
Actually, from what I've heard and read online most of the movie was filmed in North Carolina. Only select shots were actually filmed in NYC. I'd assume the reasoning comes to down to cost. New Line and Golden Harvest were making an independent film and were probably trying to do so as cost effectively as possible.
Yes back then, and now more recently the state of North Carolina to bring in cash flow to the state and provide jobs they created an incentive program that gave back 20% of whatever the studio paid. So if they spent 5 million the state of NC would give back 1 million. It's the same for Atlanta which has become a major place for filming these days.
tmntgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:56 AM   #15
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Thank you for sharing this, a sad and empowering post.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:23 AM   #16
ZacksSoUgly
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueTurtle1 View Post
Thank you for sharing this, a sad and empowering post.
Thanks for your time, Blue Turtle. The kind words mean a lot.
Kevin Eastman Interview

Old 06-14-2018, 02:15 AM   #17
Danakin
Foot Soldier

Beautiful post and photos. I actually just rewatched the movie the other night while I was dealing with food poisoning, it's amazing what nostalgia can do for healing your heart and mind. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:15 AM   #18
Turnstone
Stone Warrior

Three questions...

1) Was the fence still there that can be seen in the training sequences and also where Donnie was leaning on with the straw hat from that poster?

2) Did you take any inside pictures from the window?

3) Did you locate the exact tree that Leo sat under and do you have any pictures of it?
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:20 PM   #19
ZacksSoUgly
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danakin View Post
Beautiful post and photos. I actually just rewatched the movie the other night while I was dealing with food poisoning, it's amazing what nostalgia can do for healing your heart and mind. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you very much, Danakin. Nostalgia is definitely a strong device for healing, especially when you can connect it to good memories of those you've lost. Thanks for taking the time to share the love. Hope the food poisoning is all cleared up!
Kevin Eastman Interview

Old 06-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #20
ZacksSoUgly
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
Three questions...

1) Was the fence still there that can be seen in the training sequences and also where Donnie was leaning on with the straw hat from that poster?

2) Did you take any inside pictures from the window?

3) Did you locate the exact tree that Leo sat under and do you have any pictures of it?
Thanks for the questions, Turnstone. Answers :

1.) Nope. No fences other than the one by the road and a small picket fence that ran along one side of the house.

2.) I didn't take any pictures of the inside of the house. To be 100% honest, I was already a little worried about trespassing so I didn't want to be caught peeking into the windows and stuff. Tried to play it safe.

3.) I didn't locate the exact tree and no pictures. All the trees look vaguely familiar, but they're grown and have vines, weeds, and leaves covering them. You'd have to be out there with movie stills to try and figure something like that out. Maybe next time! haha
Kevin Eastman Interview