The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #81
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Must the only 2 human friends of the Turtles fall for each other?
I'm not saying it isn't becoming played out, so you do have a point, but it's not like it doesn't make sense. They're both always portrayed as attractive young people around the same age, so of course they're going to give it a shot considering neither one of them can tell anyone else about their amazing friends and the adventures they get into together.

If this show goes on long enough though, it'll be interesting to see what happens when April goes off to college.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #82
Pterobat
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konchadunga View Post
"Revolutionary" means apart from the norm, and as such it would be revolutionary of the series to suggest that an interspecies romance can be a thing in the case of two sentient beings. How is it revolutionary to subvert interspecies romance when interspecies romance has hardly ever been done in children's TV?
I was talking more about the whole of fantasy and science fiction, in which non-human male creatures being able to have successful romances with human female characters is very common.

So common, in fact, that I'd say such pairings are no longer a profound metaphor for accepting others despite their differences, but now are just another way to tell stories in which women have to accept men no matter what they look like. I can't think of any interspecies story where a woman has the possibility of a human love interest, and chooses him instead.

Not saying that good stories can't be done with the idea: I love the romance between Elisa and Goliath in Gargoyles. But it's got to bring something new to the table, otherwise it's just going through a cliche and a huge double standard.

Quote:
No; Donny is a teenager. Most teenagers go through the phase of being lovestruck, horny stalkers. I'm not saying that makes it right, and not saying I'm not thoroughly disgusted by the acceptance and even fandom Twilight and "Call me Maybe" have in our society, but it's how these things work, and if Donny was a "creep," he wouldn't be risking his life on the basis of his crush.
Yeah, he's a teenager, but he's making elaborate plans about how to get in good with April instead of actually saying to her that he's interested. Maybe she would pick up on that on her own, but at best it makes him looks like a doofus, and it's certainly not a good argument for why he "should" get April if the writers decide to do a love triangle.

Which I hope they don't, because those usually suck, but April deciding to choose a human over Donnie wouldn't be a big deal.

http://pterobat.tumblr.com
Pterobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #83
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Kinda hope they shock the hell out of everybody and just make April fall for a guy at her school or whatever. Must the only 2 human friends of the Turtles fall for each other? Have they no lives other than whatever adventure the Turtles throw them into? lol Hell, have Casey fall for Karai and do the whole 'good/bad' thing they did in the 2K3 but with Casey instead of Leo.
That might be difficult, considering Casey is vastly different from Leo, and from the conventional idea of "good." I also hope the new Karai is more like her Mirage version; less pretense of honor and more vengeful badassery, and that wouldn't be too different from Casey. Shell; the two actually screwed in the Mirage universe.

This needs to get back on topic, so here's a thought: What if Irma falls for Donny while he lusts after April.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #84
The Big Bad
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Kinda hope they shock the hell out of everybody and just make April fall for a guy at her school or whatever. Must the only 2 human friends of the Turtles fall for each other? Have they no lives other than whatever adventure the Turtles throw them into?
Actually, that's *is* the impression I get from a lot of the incarnations, thanks to stuff like the Northampton exile. Having to keep the details of an entire year (or however long it lasts, depending on the incarnation) of ones' life secret is something that I imagine would be rather isolating. The only incarnations of April that I feel have really been able to escape that are the Fred Wolf and Archie incarnations.

As for this incarnation...by all rights, this version of April should have more of a life outside of the turtles than any other, by dint of being a teenager living with her guardians and presumably attending high school. However, she feels like one of the most isolated, since all we're ever shown is her interactions with the turtles. Part of it is, of course, that the creators don't have the resources to spend on assets that would be of limited use but still, it feels like she's been done a disservice. Introducing Irma would help alleviate that, but again, I feel like doing so would require more context than the animators can give her. And it's also why I don't see April and Casey falling for other people outside the established circles, as much as I'd like to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I'm not saying it isn't becoming played out, so you do have a point, but it's not like it doesn't make sense. They're both always portrayed as attractive young people around the same age, so of course they're going to give it a shot considering neither one of them can tell anyone else about their amazing friends and the adventures they get into together.
I don't see what's inevitable about it. Regardless of what TV and film may claim, it is possible for two attractive people to be friends without ever thinking about having sex with each other. Heck, even if this incarnation of the characters do turn out to not have other human friends aside from each other, I feel it would be worth it not having them get together just to drive that point home.

Previous avatar artwork by Lorna-ka.
The Big Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #85
gobo
Wacky Action

She should be a mutant chipmunk.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #86
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Kinda hope they shock the hell out of everybody and just make April fall for a guy at her school or whatever. Must the only 2 human friends of the Turtles fall for each other? Have they no lives other than whatever adventure the Turtles throw them into? lol Hell, have Casey fall for Karai and do the whole 'good/bad' thing they did in the 2K3 but with Casey instead of Leo.
Huh, that's actually a good idea.

*will search for Casey/Karai fics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konchadunga View Post
The thing is, though, that dead-end thing could just manifest in the form of nothing ever coming of this one-sided romance, rather than it having a sad ending. "If you love someone, set them free" might not inherently be a bad moral in itself, but in this case, it would come off as more of "ignore your heart and don't challenge the status quo" to many viewers. They're going to make a lot of people mad with this if they go the "lose April to Casey" route.
Assuming they'd even be love interests. It's up in the air.

We all know that Most Writers Are Male. Something like eighty percent of media aimed at children have male main characters, whereas half the population is female. At best, women will often be minor characters or will not be present at all. Stories about women are for women, stories about men are for general consumption. (TV Tropes Feminist Fantasy)
Avatar Yuffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #87
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
She should be a mutant chipmunk.
Haha, print it!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #88
hadoolket
Thug

Quote:
But then again I'd rather avoid the whole teen drama thing in general. REALLY don't wanna see the 'April lets Don down gently because she really likes Casey and Don accepts he wants her to be happy and will be happier with a human' episode. Really... REALLY.... don't....
yah rly

this petulent highschool teen drama seems to pervade everything these days, that i feel it's cultivating a sissy culture (while reality tv on the other hand encourages people to sit on their asses and become fat)

it's a kid's show first and foremost, kids don't care that some teenager loser is in love with suzie but she don't love him back and that he wants his teenager dilemma represented on the show so kids feel his lonely pain, they want to see some ninja turtles kicking some bad guy butt unlike in real life where you get arrested for taking the law into your own hands

irma? i notoriously really like the character, so i can't say no to that, that's all i'm gonna say about it

Last edited by hadoolket; 01-17-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: my proofreading skillz are amazing
hadoolket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #89
zodiac brave
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Bad View Post
As for this incarnation...by all rights, this version of April should have more of a life outside of the turtles than any other, by dint of being a teenager living with her guardians and presumably attending high school. However, she feels like one of the most isolated, since all we're ever shown is her interactions with the turtles. Part of it is, of course, that the creators don't have the resources to spend on assets that would be of limited use but still, it feels like she's been done a disservice. Introducing Irma would help alleviate that, but again, I feel like doing so would require more context than the animators can give her. And it's also why I don't see April and Casey falling for other people outside the established circles, as much as I'd like to see it.
i think the fact that she's isolated comes from the crazy circumstances that have led her to befriend the turtles. her isolation, i feel, is an essential part of her character and feels like it might be done consciously by the writers. her dad is kidnapped by aliens and she's thrust into this world of mutant creatures, physical danger and crazy adventures. her dad being taken by her alone is enough to cause her to introvert from the normal gamut of teen high school life let alone all the other craziness. i feel one of the many saving graces is splinter taking her under his wing (tail?) and training her as a kunoichi. it, along with the friendship with the turtles, might be whats keeping her from breaking down. who else can relate to all this stuff, if not those that are right in the thick of it with her.

bringing in friends and showing her daily high school life would disservice that aspect of what the producers have put forth as her character so far.

that said, however, i can totally see how bringing in casey would work, if he is indeed portrayed as a vigilante-esque fighter who also encounters this craziness in some respect. as for the romantic aspect of the relationship, well that'll unfold however it unfolds.

irma coming in would have to be the same thing, if they were going for dramatic consistency. but...it is a kid's show, after all, and they might not be thinking that deeply.

kinda reminds me of the interplay between the scooby gang in buffy the vampire slayer. you stick together because you all have to deal with the same type of stuff and its difficult to relate to anyone that hasn't been through the same.

zodiac brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #90
TurtleMaster4
Hench Mutant

yes. But maybe only for an episode or two.
TurtleMaster4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #91
meta ray mek
Random Punk

Eh, I wouldn't be opposed to it. April needs more friends besides the Turtles (and Casey, whenever he shows up), plus the show could always use more female characters.

Just don't make her a one-note, guy-obsessed character and we'll be good as gold, imho.
meta ray mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #92
miru
Mad Scientist

After seeing Karai the Elf..

I wonder how this show will change her?
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #93
kzekedaurus
Thug

I... what?

Anyway, I'm wondering if April really has human friends in this incarnation. Irma has her number, and she has connections/informants, but it's still very vague. I think it would be interesting if she was actually an introvert or a loner. Her lack of social life among other people would provide an interesting contrast to her more confident and relaxed attitude among the turtles. Of course, I don't see this actually being the case.

With the OT, I always got the feeling that April thought that it was a drag being around Irma most of the time, considering she would much rather put herself in danger while chasing after a story.
kzekedaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #94
CyberCubed
Overlord

April and Irma were very good friends in the OT. They would often have dinner together or go on vacations together. I'm not sure why you would think April didn't like her.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #95
NinjaMan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by meta ray mek View Post
Eh, I wouldn't be opposed to it. April needs more friends besides the Turtles (and Casey, whenever he shows up), plus the show could always use more female characters.

Just don't make her a one-note, guy-obsessed character and we'll be good as gold, imho.
Her being guy-obsessed was a huge part of her character. Like how Donnie being super smart is a part of his.
NinjaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #96
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Irma wasnt always a one-dimensional male-obsessed bit of skirt, she could also be resourceful and even intimidating, rising to the occasion to take on, and take out, the Turtles enemies ("Super Irma" and "Shredder Triumphant" are choice examples of her occasional courage)
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #97
chrisdude
Foot Elite

Irma enters as April's love interest.

Casey and Raph go bust heads.

Problems solved.

</thread>
Old 01-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #98
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Combat Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Irma wasnt always a one-dimensional male-obsessed bit of skirt, she could also be resourceful and even intimidating, rising to the occasion to take on, and take out, the Turtles enemies ("Super Irma" and "Shredder Triumphant" are choice examples of her occasional courage)
Combat Land is another strong Irma episode.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #99
jestermon
Hench Mutant

Maybe Irma will be the one that get's with Casey and April won't even like him at all.

Hopefully, he is not a grown man, and since when did cross species love matter, there have been tons of animal characters in tons of cartoons that have been with other species.
jestermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #100
cryan
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdude View Post
Irma enters as April's love interest.

Casey and Raph go bust heads.

Problems solved.

</thread>
You have just placed a disturbing image in my head that I can't get out.
cryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
irma, nick