The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-14-2020, 03:25 AM   #41
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Not "some profit." There really isn't anything to suggest that the Mulan model was even profitable at all. As soon as a movie is released digitally (whether it is VOD, Netflix, CBS On Demand)... an hour later it is on every pirating torrent site out there. I'd be surprised if Mulan made even 15% of what it would have made if it came out in theaters in February.

What I'm saying is that at least if there's some exclusivity with the theaters for a while, there's the money to be had. Before going VOD where many good people will pay the $20 or whatever to rent or "own" it.... but many more will not. They will be on Piratebay.
Actually you’re probably right about pirating. I have no idea how Mulan is doing or other straight to VOD movies but the delays do make the most sense from the financial standpoint.

Quote:
Well. I may not be afraid of the virus... but I'm not stupid, either. I'll make sure I can hold it. And maybe not get the jumbo pop for a while.

Of course it is. And it's happening everyday in theaters. Maybe it takes them an hour to clean a theater between showings instead of 30 minutes... so what?
My point was just like with masks it’s not a guarantee. So why put yourself out anymore than you need? But you said you’re not afraid of getting it. I would not enjoy a movie having to take extra precautions on top of the risk. Not for something totally optional.

Quote:
Also, total number of cases of COVID stemming from theaters? 0. Not even 1.
How can anyone know that? It’s impossible. You can’t track where someone gets infected. Not even the flu. It’s just around.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:40 AM   #42
sdp
-

You can bet studio's already took a look at how much it would cost to release movies in theaters and streaming simultaneously or 2/4 weeks after. Only they have the data but I'm sure they've been trying to see every alternative possible and crunch numbers to see what is worth their time investing their resources on for the greatest profit. If they're delaying and releasing on streaming it's because it seems to be the best model they've found so far, they've experimented with a few different ones. Disney did not seem to like the Mulan model but it seemed to work for Trolls 2, how is Tenet doing?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:59 AM   #43
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I'm just curious. I don't know how often you normally go to the theater but if they were operating as normal with release dates unchanged were you gonna go see all these movies during all this?
For the films I had an interest in for this year...

Quiet Place 2
Ghostbusters: Afterlife
Mulan
The Batman (Was surprisingly curious about this one)
Godzilla vs Kong
Thor: Love & Thunder

...I was planning on seeing them in the theater. I just like going to the movie theater for the most part. I like the atmosphere, ambiance, and novelty of it. I generally do dinner and a movie...but I will admit that I do dislike going by myself. I like to share the experience. Watching movies at home, just doesn't appeal to me. I only watch a movie at home if I was unable to see it theaters (and even then, I'd have to will myself to do so or either watching a film I've already seen with someone who hasn't) or if it's something I wouldn't be able to see in theaters regardless because they wouldn't get a release here in the states (junk from Japan mostly). Even with these two stipulations, I have to be in a mood to sit through a movie which had a theatrical release at home.

Those aren't many films, but I definitely planned on seeing them. Another film is escaping me at the moment that was released earlier this year round about the time the theaters were starting to close up...but I can't recall it. It was a scary film and I did want to see it.

Knowing what I know about Mulan now, though...I would've been disappointed if I'd actually bought a ticket to see it. I like to try to see a film opening weekend. So yeah, I probably would have gone to see these, especially Ghostbusters: Afterlife and Quiet Place 2.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:35 AM   #44
CyberCubed
Overlord

Ironically enough the last movie I saw in theaters was Stars Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. The fact that Episode 9 is my last movie experience should say enough that I don't mind if things go digital day-one going forward.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:57 AM   #45
Leo656
The Franchise

Patty Jenkins made a good point recently in mentioning how "dinner and a movie" is the most popular staple for couples on dates or a family night out. And how the entire "experience" of it is why people engage in it and how losing that would be awful. Throwing some fish sticks in the toaster oven and throwing something on TV does NOT compare to a night of Red Lobster and a movie on the big screen. My wife and I sure miss date nights. Most of our friends with partners/families, too.

"Mean" as it may sound, I can't help but notice that most of the people who are not concerned or even looking forward to the end of theaters and other social activites because "Who needs 'em? Just stay home!" are frankly people who were never gonna be going on any dates or having a family in the first place. Like okay, guys, enjoy the view from under your rock, some people actually like going out and doing things. If their parents had the same "just be a hermit, it's the future" attitude then they wouldn't have even been born.

Sorry that people picked on ya's in school and now you've grown up maladjusted and wanting to shun all humanity because you're afraid of people's taunts even as a grown-ass adult, but most human beings are still creatures who long for communal social activities. Movie theaters. Concerts. Theme parks. Restaurants. Etc. etc. "I have no friends and I hate leaving my house. I want the whole world to revolve around me because I'm afraid of people even more than I am of getting sick." It's all very transparent.

I've said this long before anyone unleashed a plague: A society of pasty, antisocial shut-ins isn't the model we should be rushing headlong to embrace. Just because it's being temporarily forced upon us doesn't mean it should stay that way or that we should be happy about it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:01 AM   #46
newfan
Mad Scientist

I think the last time I went to the theatre it was to see the Sonic movie, think it was only about a month or so before things closed down. I'll be happy when I can resume going again.

I noticed a difference in Price for Mulan compared to other digitally released movies, I'm sure I saw some come up for rent at like £18.99 or something and then Mulan was supposed to be something like £28, I think.. don't have Disney Plus. Cinema tickets are standard unless there are special offers regardless of being considered a bigger movie or not. Not paying Mulan's price to sit and watch on my tv. (Its now a little cheaper on Sky TV but I don't really care)

Last edited by newfan; 10-14-2020 at 12:23 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:37 AM   #47
Sumac
Banned

I don't go to movie theatres myself, since I don't like to watch movies in a crowd, but it was interesting to see news about premiers and subsequent numbers of boxoffice.

It certainly will be missed, if theatres would go away completely. Though I hope, as soon as this **** is over, they will return in some way shape or form.

I've heard drive-by-theatres are getting popular again?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:50 AM   #48
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm not surprised, outdoor events are doing somewhat well just in general. We got about 160 for our show on Saturday. Our "esteemed competitors" down in South NJ did about 200 on the same night. There were other wrestling shows in NJ on the same day that all did alright. People are dying to go out and do things again.

I get that people feel "more safe" in the open air than indoors for the time being. But I also see a lot of things that poke holes in that. If you can spend an hour or more in a Walmart, you can safely spend two inside a theater. That's the way I look at it. I doubt one is altogether more fastidiously maintained than the other and you're exposed to a lot more people in Walmart. And nobody in Walmart is following you around with a spray bottle full of sanitizer, they're doing the absolute bare minimum to be "compliant". And everybody is still Fine.

Like Andrew said, stagger the seating and triple-down on hand sanitizer, and a movie theater is just as "safe" if not more so than anything else is right now. We don't need to open up a stampede but it's time to start gradually lifting the veil or else things are never going back to normal.

I actually went out to eat at a diner on Saturday for the very first time since this whole ordeal started. Boy, was that a revelation by itself.

We can manage. Fear of lawsuits is what's crippling things from getting back on track, more than anything. As usual.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:11 PM   #49
AquaParade
Banned

Anyone remember the trailer for Suburban Commando? Of course you all do, look where I'm at.

"What are ya' nuts? This is the 90's. We're gonna sue ya."

https://youtu.be/7zlvyiB6_2w
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:19 PM   #50
Leo656
The Franchise

That's actually not a terrible Hulk Hogan movie.

It's no "Assault on Devil's Island", nor is it even "Hunt The Death Merchant." But it's also no "Mr. Nanny".

Old 10-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #51
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
These weren't movies ever scheduled for 2020. In fact, I don't think the latter was even set to film yet, COVID fears or not.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:30 PM   #52
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Bring Back Drive-ins!

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:32 PM   #53
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Bring Back Drive-ins!
There's still a handful out there but, like regular movie theaters... kind of once they're gone, they're gone.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:22 PM   #54
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
For the films I had an interest in for this year...

Quiet Place 2
Ghostbusters: Afterlife
Mulan
Godzilla vs Kong

...I was planning on seeing them in the theater. I just like going to the movie theater for the most part. I like the atmosphere, ambiance, and novelty of it. I generally do dinner and a movie...but I will admit that I do dislike going by myself. I like to share the experience. Watching movies at home, just doesn't appeal to me. I only watch a movie at home if I was unable to see it theaters (and even then, I'd have to will myself to do so or either watching a film I've already seen with someone who hasn't) or if it's something I wouldn't be able to see in theaters regardless because they wouldn't get a release here in the states (junk from Japan mostly). Even with these two stipulations, I have to be in a mood to sit through a movie which had a theatrical release at home.

Those aren't many films, but I definitely planned on seeing them. Another film is escaping me at the moment that was released earlier this year round about the time the theaters were starting to close up...but I can't recall it. It was a scary film and I did want to see it.

Knowing what I know about Mulan now, though...I would've been disappointed if I'd actually bought a ticket to see it. I like to try to see a film opening weekend. So yeah, I probably would have gone to see these, especially Ghostbusters: Afterlife and Quiet Place 2.
So are you not into Blu-ray/DVDs? I mean you don’t watch reruns of your favorites from time to time?

I wanted to see Ghostbusters 3. That was the only movie I wanted to go to the rest of the year. The last 2 movies I saw in theaters were Sonic and Ghostbusters 2016.

There’s plenty of movies I would like to see but I usually end up waiting for home release. It has to be something special for me to go out. It took 20+ years for another GB and then this proper sequel and I’ve always wanted Sonic.

March is not that far away. I doubt there will be a significant improvement by then. I would move GB3 to at least October. Not sure what it would be competing with but it would give more time and it fits well with Halloween.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:16 AM   #55
CyberCubed
Overlord

I realize outside of my very favorite movies/shows, I only need to see a movie once every 10 years before I go back to it.

Buying blu-rays is kind of a waste when you realize you'll probably only watch it once, maybe twice, and then it'll just sit on your shelf collecting dust for about a decade before you revisit it. Most of us learned this lesson with our old DVD collections in the early 2000's...I bought SO MUCH DVDs back when they were new and wasted so much money. Again outside of my very favorite shows/movies, I only ever watched through them once or twice.

Of course it's different for each person, some movies I can watch 100+ times and never get bored. But for everything else...maybe once a decade is fine.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:22 AM   #56
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Nothing beats dinner and a movie (though we always did dinner after), and while I'm currently single I had my little geek crew I would go see movies with. We'd be literally counting the days to 'insert next Marvel or DC movie here' and plan around it. I actually felt honored that I flew out of town to view End Game to see it with my bro and my buddy (it was like to be symbolic, I saw Iron Man with my bro so let's see End Game together) that my geek crew back home, despite the excitement of End Game, actually WAITED for me to return cause it just wouldn't be the same seeing it without me.

Then what really sucked is I found myself a new crew and we watched Sonic together and had CoVid not hit, we woulda seen Onward together, and by now so many months have passed some of my buddies have moved out of town so I pretty much lost my new group of friends.

So **** CoVid and yes I agree, you just can't beat dinner and a movie if not with family, then with friends. And believe me, I get it. I'm also an introvert and my friends are introverts, we're not the type to just hang out with anyone so these little nerd crews mean a lot to us.

So just because you're a hermit and would rather seclude yourself to streaming and whatnot don't forget a lot of us actually have friends that like to leave the house at least for a few special occasions.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:27 AM   #57
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I realize outside of my very favorite movies/shows, I only need to see a movie once every 10 years before I go back to it.
If you remove the times where I put a movie in as a sort of background noise, this post made me consider that I'm much the same. Maybe not 10 years on most of my favorites, but.... years definitely.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:53 AM   #58
CyberCubed
Overlord

The reason I mention about 10 years is because a lot of movies I hadn't watched since the early 2000's (like between the years of 2000-2006, etc), and well we're now more than 10 years after that and I hadn't rewatch them but a few since.

I mean when you stop to realize 2005 is now 15 years ago and some of us may not have rewatched movies or shows since then, it really makes you realize.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:23 PM   #59
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
The reason I mention about 10 years is because a lot of movies I hadn't watched since the early 2000's (like between the years of 2000-2006, etc), and well we're now more than 10 years after that and I hadn't rewatch them but a few since.

I mean when you stop to realize 2005 is now 15 years ago and some of us may not have rewatched movies or shows since then, it really makes you realize.
Yeah exactly. And I think that part of my epiphany about this was how it becomes easier when you realize that you had only watched a movie a time or two in between the format changes. Or when you look back on it and realize that you only watched a favorite flick once or twice on DVD and then realize you hadn't watched it for years when it's released on Blu Ray and sort of gives you a marker on the time.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:50 PM   #60
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:

Buying blu-rays is kind of a waste when you realize you'll probably only watch it once, maybe twice, and then it'll just sit on your shelf collecting dust for about a decade before you revisit it. Most of us learned this lesson with our old DVD collections in the early 2000's...I bought SO MUCH DVDs back when they were new and wasted so much money. Again outside of my very favorite shows/movies, I only ever watched through them once or twice.

Of course it's different for each person, some movies I can watch 100+ times and never get bored. But for everything else...maybe once a decade is fine.
I've recently converted all of my DVDs (or at least the ones I could) to ISOs and have them stored on a hard drive. So now the physical DVDs are most certainly collecting dust as they are all digital now. But I kept most of them just in case...you never know what might happen.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote