The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 11-22-2017, 11:58 PM   #301
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed
So for those of you who hit it, how do you cope with turning 30 years old?
I think I'll know in 'bout ten years.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:23 AM   #302
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

I turned 30 this year and it honestly didn't end up changing much for me in the grand scheme of things. 2016 was an amazing, yet chaotic year for me as I bought a house in the spring and went through some company wide layoffs in the fall. I've already felt that I've gone through enough "adulting" so far even before I landed on 30.

It's a state of mind for sure.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:27 AM   #303
CyberCubed
Overlord

I imagine the people who already get married and have kids by their mid-20's feel like they "age" or become adults much faster due to the added responsibilities, whereas those who don't still feel not much different than their early 20's by the time they hit 30.

My parents were only 25 when I was born, I seriously can't imagine being that young or younger with a kid already.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:19 PM   #304
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I imagine the people who already get married and have kids by their mid-20's feel like they "age" or become adults much faster due to the added responsibilities, whereas those who don't still feel not much different than their early 20's by the time they hit 30.

My parents were only 25 when I was born, I seriously can't imagine being that young or younger with a kid already.
Well if you think that about 25 year olds, imagine teenage parents.

Although you were born in 1985... meaning your parents married around 1984 or 1985 am I correct? Back then, marrying and having kids at 25 wasn't really considered early was it? It was after the 90s and the bubble bursting and housing getting more expensive, etc that people began marrying and having kids later(around 30-35) in developed nations. If your parents were both 25 today I doubt they'd get married and have kids at that age.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:23 PM   #305
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yes, it was the norm back in the 80's and 90's as well. People got married and had kids young.

Nowadays you don't have that. Back then you were also kicked out of the house the moment you turn 18, nowadays you have young adults still living with their parents well into their 20's.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #306
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Yes, it was the norm back in the 80's and 90's as well. People got married and had kids young.

Nowadays you don't have that. Back then you were also kicked out of the house the moment you turn 18, nowadays you have young adults still living with their parents well into their 20's.
That was never a case in my country tbh. In my country it's not odd for a man to live with his parents when he is 23-24 still. And much less nowadays. I know in USA you guys tend to leave your folks' home at 18, but in most of Europe that's nto really the case except for Scandinavian countries afaik.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:20 AM   #307
newfan
Mad Scientist

As you guys pointed out already, the cost of living, buying houses etc has gone up, more people are going to university so take longer to build up enough money for independence. More people want to travel and do other things first.
Years ago it was common to leave school, work, marry and then babies if you wanted that. (Obviously there were still people pursuing careers)
Saying that people are still having children young and then through to their 40's. First time mom's can be the same age as first time grandmothers (if the generations were both very young parents)

Last edited by newfan; 11-28-2017 at 12:36 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:21 AM   #308
CyberCubed
Overlord

Also since more women are working than decades ago, most women purposely choose not to get pregnant just so they can advance their career when they're younger. The days of the woman expected to stay home and raise kids is over.

Come to think of it the rise of gay/lesbian couples contributes to this as well. Probably the same reason the traditional 1950's style household of a married couple with 2.5 kids is no longer the norm.

It's kind of ironic. If we grew up in our parents generation our lives would have been completely different, and I'm not even counting the difference in technology or whatever, just how we would be raised. Times have changed.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:58 AM   #309
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Also since more women are working than decades ago, most women purposely choose not to get pregnant just so they can advance their career when they're younger. The days of the woman expected to stay home and raise kids is over.

Come to think of it the rise of gay/lesbian couples contributes to this as well. Probably the same reason the traditional 1950's style household of a married couple with 2.5 kids is no longer the norm.

It's kind of ironic. If we grew up in our parents generation our lives would have been completely different, and I'm not even counting the difference in technology or whatever, just how we would be raised. Times have changed.
If you'd been born then, no TMNT, drome or fast play movies

Last edited by newfan; 11-28-2017 at 06:02 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:03 AM   #310
Prowler
Emperor

And, as of today, I'm as old as you were when you originally made this thread, CyberCubed: 28 years old. I'm officially in my late 20s.

Oh well
Old 11-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #311
CyberCubed
Overlord

This thread being bumped gives me nightmares. I was only 28 when I made this thread, I'm going to be 33 in a month.

Where the hell does the time go? I feel like I made this thread just a few months ago, this thread is from 2014? Dear holy hell, people certainly aren't kidding when they said time flies.

Goddammit. What the hell is going on?
Old 11-15-2018, 12:30 PM   #312
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
https://media.giphy.com/media/GrUhLU9q3nyRG/giphy.gif

This thread being bumped gives me nightmares. I was only 28 when I made this thread, I'm going to be 33 in a month.

Where the hell does the time go? I feel like I made this thread just a few months ago, this thread is from 2014? Dear holy hell, people certainly aren't kidding when they said time flies.

I was 23 when you made this thread, man. So you're not the only one who feels that way.

I think more mind blowing than being close to 30 is the fact I'm gonna be 40 in only slightly over a decade from now on. I can imagine myself being 30, but 40?! Damn. Also, usually the cutoff point for being considered young is around 35. I dunno what happens around that age, but once you are 35 then it's like you're a "regular adult" and not a "young man" anymore.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #313
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's all over at 40 for sure. You're not like a senior citizen or anything at that point, but certainly your "I'm Youngish" card is thoroughly revoked.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:00 PM   #314
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Ya' got THAT right. I feel weird when people my own generation or older call me "ma'am". Used to be "miss".

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:05 PM   #315
CyberCubed
Overlord

Must be weird to think half your life is already over, and the back half of your life, age 50-70+ or whatever...is all downhill or whatever waiting to retire.

I mean us "millennials" won't be like our grandparents who just watch the news and the morning stock reports and play checkers and bingo. People in our generation grew up with videogames, comics, cartoons, movies, etc...and we'll continue to do this stuff when we're old as hell.

I will be 75+ years old with a Nintendo controller in my hand and still watching cartoons. Believe it.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #316
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Must be weird to think half your life is already over, and the back half of your life, age 50-70+ or whatever...is all downhill or whatever waiting to retire.
And time flies by faster than ever. Pretty soon a little tumble in the driveway could be your end, or put you in a wheelchair.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:09 PM   #317
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
And time flies by faster than ever. Pretty soon a little tumble in the driveway could be your end, or put you in a wheelchair.
It's like Stan Lee, any day could be your last. Did you think Stan Lee knew he was going to die in a day? Probably not. Imagine when he turned 80 and had no idea he'd still live 15 more years till 95. I mean any day from 80 onward could be your last, its such a weird feeling.

Like people our age don't think, "Maybe I'll just wake up dead tomorrow," or anything. But when you're 75+ and into your 80's...it's just weird as hell knowing any day could be your last.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:17 PM   #318
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
It's like Stan Lee, any day could be your last. Did you think Stan Lee knew he was going to die in a day? Probably not. Imagine when he turned 80 and had no idea he'd still live 15 more years till 95. I mean any day from 80 onward could be your last, its such a weird feeling.
Yeah by then it's like, "Live everyday like it's your last!" but you can't. Because you're super old and your joints hurt and such.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:44 PM   #319
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Ya' got THAT right. I feel weird when people my own generation or older call me "ma'am". Used to be "miss".
I feel strange when someone who is old enough to be my parent calls me "sir".

Quote:

Like people our age don't think, "Maybe I'll just wake up dead tomorrow," or anything. But when you're 75+ and into your 80's...it's just weird as hell knowing any day could be your last.
Actually, I was surprised to find out that a lot of older people don't think much about that. I mean, it crosses their mind, sure, but they don't obsess over it. Probably because they've lived so long already and did most of the things they wanted to that they don't have many regrets. That or they have a miserable retirement pension and are plagued by health issues in the last 10-15 years of their lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah by then it's like, "Live everyday like it's your last!" but you can't. Because you're super old and your joints hurt and such.
I've never liked that saying. For one thing, if we all lived each day like that we'd probably go to our graves much sooner than expected. Second, real life is not an episodic tv show where each day is a completely isolated event from the previous or future ones. There's always things in the back of your mind, and you gotta plan for the near and long term future often as well.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #320
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
https://media.giphy.com/media/GrUhLU9q3nyRG/giphy.gif

If old age ever becomes too much for you, old boy, Doctor Cylons prescribes one of his no-wait thirty-eight caliber happy pills... GUARANTEED TO PERMANENTLY HALT AGING!

Tags
cybercubed the timemaster, cybercubed thinks deep, cybercucked, same old song and dance, sjw is the new 30