The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-21-2021, 07:22 PM   #521
CyberCubed
Overlord

Movie projects can be abandoned. Imagi had a sequel movie planned that never got made with the Turtles de-mutated besides Michelangelo.

Since they also apparently have a live-action movie reboot coming, I don't think both that and a CG reboot coming out at roughly the same time is a good idea? This isn't like the Rise movie coming out on netflix which people know is based on the cartoon, this is a new CG movie with new rebooted Turtles. In addition to another movie reboot coming after.

Makes no sense to have two movie reboots coming.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:47 PM   #522
neatoman
Emperor

The 2007 movie didn't get a sequel because Laird sold the franchise two years later, even if he hadn't it's doubtful the movie actually did well enough to justify it. It's also worth noting here that having unrelated adaptations run parallel is hardly unheard of, Sony made Spider-Verse alongside the MCU Spider-Man movies and they plan to keep both going as series. We also don't know for sure if the live-action project is still moving forward here, it's possible that one got cancelled for this CGI movie.

I don't understand why you think this movie, the one we just got an update on, isn't going to happen?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:05 PM   #523
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

It seems pretty clear the live action reboot from Platinum Dunes isn’t happening.

Which option do you think Paramount is moving forward with? The one that they never officially commented was happening (one of the trades reported a writer had been hired for the Platinum Dunes reboot) or the one that they issued a full press release when it was announced last June and provided an update on last week?
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:16 PM   #524
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think they're both being shelved to be honest.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:17 PM   #525
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
It seems pretty clear the live action reboot from Platinum Dunes isn’t happening.

Which option do you think Paramount is moving forward with? The one that they never officially commented was happening (one of the trades reported a writer had been hired for the Platinum Dunes reboot) or the one that they issued a full press release when it was announced last June and provided an update on last week?
Here's a theory. What if due to the success of the Sonic The Hedgehog movie, And they are currently working on the sequel. That one does well enough that Paramount hires the writers and producers of the movies to do the next TMNT live action reboot?
Old 03-22-2021, 08:23 AM   #526
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Here is another theory, what if Sonic and TMNT team up in the next movie like they did in the archie comic and Ninjara is from the sonic universe and that way ninjara appears with the TMNT from the crossover to sonic's world and they can form a band.

sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:10 PM   #527
Cyndaquilfan123
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I think they're both being shelved to be honest.
The PD one? Definitely. However, There's no reason to believe the CGI one is being shelved at this point in time. These things take a long time to produce. If there's nothing by say...mid 2022 there there would be cause for concern, but nothing to fret over at this point.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:47 PM   #528
neatoman
Emperor

Again, we don't know if either project has been cancelled, there is just less reason to think the animated one has. The live-action project was announced in 2018 and last we heard of it was summer 2019. Now the fact the animated project was announced one year later could indicate it was replaced, that is true. On the other hand, the two projects would most likely aim to reach different audiences and 2019 isn't so far in the past we can really dismiss it yet.

Maybe we're getting multiple movies because Paramount isn't sure which direction is best for the franchise? Maybe the live-action movie is put on hold with the animated movie being a test to see if there's still interest in the franchise? Maybe the contract with PD states they need to make another movie? Maybe the animated movie is being made just because Seth Rogen begged for it?

Again yes, the live-action movie could have been shelved for the animated one, there's just not that much reason to think one or neither are still in development.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:03 PM   #529
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The Rogen movie is for sure happening. He is white hot right now and if he already has the deal to make it, it's happening, period. We'd probably start seeing stuff from it late this year.

The "Rise" Netflix thing? I guess it's happening. Unfortunately.

The PD second reboot? No. I doubt it. It probably fell apart. And the deal for Rogen probably wouldn't have been on the table at all if PD was still actively working on it.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:48 PM   #530
Slash-Dash
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Movie projects can be abandoned. Imagi had a sequel movie planned that never got made with the Turtles de-mutated besides Michelangelo.

Since they also apparently have a live-action movie reboot coming, I don't think both that and a CG reboot coming out at roughly the same time is a good idea? This isn't like the Rise movie coming out on netflix which people know is based on the cartoon, this is a new CG movie with new rebooted Turtles. In addition to another movie reboot coming after.

Makes no sense to have two movie reboots coming.
a new live action movie has never been confirmed. I'm sure it will happen one day but the cgi movie is most definitely arriving most likely next year.
Slash-Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:03 PM   #531
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
The 2007 movie didn't get a sequel because Laird sold the franchise two years later, even if he hadn't it's doubtful the movie actually did well enough to justify it. It's also worth noting here that having unrelated adaptations run parallel is hardly unheard of, Sony made Spider-Verse alongside the MCU Spider-Man movies and they plan to keep both going as series. We also don't know for sure if the live-action project is still moving forward here, it's possible that one got cancelled for this CGI movie.

I don't understand why you think this movie, the one we just got an update on, isn't going to happen?
Wasn't it actually the #1 movie on its opening weekend,beating out 300? Thou,in retrospect,it was a pretty forgettable movie.
FrederikWolferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:01 PM   #532
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederikWolferson View Post
Wasn't it actually the #1 movie on its opening weekend,beating out 300? Thou,in retrospect,it was a pretty forgettable movie.
Yes, it was. However, it didn't have the best legs in the longrun.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:05 PM   #533
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederikWolferson View Post
lol... 300 made 500 million, half of it domestic (shockingly only on a budget of twice TMNT 2007's 30 million dollar production budger). TMNT 2007 limped to 50 million domestic, not even hitting 100 million worldwide.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:08 PM   #534
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
lol... 300 made 500 million, half of it domestic (shockingly only on a budget of twice TMNT 2007's 30 million dollar production budger). TMNT 2007 limped to 50 million domestic, not even hitting 100 million worldwide.
I'm starting to understand why so many TMNT fans have such a deep-rooted and borderline pathological hatred of Zack Snyder's movies. It all makes sense when viewed through the lens of history!

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:45 PM   #535
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'm starting to understand why so many TMNT fans have such a deep-rooted and borderline pathological hatred of Zack Snyder's movies. It all makes sense when viewed through the lens of history!
You've found us out. It's because 300 outdid a TMNT movie which most of us think is at best just okay.

On a serious note I doubt anyone expects a non Pixar cgi animated movie to be doing huge numbers. Better marketing and (let's be honest) better movie might have made TMNT '07 do a little better but it was never going to be a huge hit that would kickstart the revival of the franchise which is why it's so baffling to me that they are going that direction again.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:59 PM   #536
Leo656
The Franchise

Low Risk in hopes of at least a moderate reward.

They spent a lot of money on the last two live-action TMNT movies, and they sh*t the bed financially. Viacom sees TMNT in terms of a movie as a traditional "super-hero franchise" type of movie. That's NOT what TMNT actually is or what it should be, but that's what the people who own it and are developing it THINK that it is. And so there's no chance that they're going to ever do a smaller, more grounded (and less expensive) live-action film. It's going to be a big, bloated, expensive CGI-fest with lots of action set pieces, or else they're just not going to make the movie at all.

Since they did that twice in a row, and didn't do very well with it, they're stuck in "Just not going to make the movie at all" mode for the time being. They'll try again, eventually; but nothing anyone who was involved with the two BayTurtles movies has said out loud gives any indication that the people who made those movies understands what they did wrong. They THINK they made two really good TMNT movies and that the fans are just a bunch of whiny assholes. They don't understand they they got the entire concept wrong from the jump and that that's why the project failed. So rather than go back to the drawing board and reevaluate their entire approach, they're going to wait another 5+ years, let the heat cool off, and then do, basically, The Exact Same Thing all over again and hope it plays better.

In the meantime, they don't want the brand to get cold, so they do a low-risk animated project and hope to scrape in a little coin from that. If it under-performs, no big deal, they didn't spend $200 million on it so even if they only break even it wasn't a complete waste of time. Whereas if they did another big expensive live-action movie and failed, the repercussions across the board would be more serious.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:39 PM   #537
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
In the opening weekend being the key here.

We did get a good TMNT animated movie recently. Batman vs the TMNT. And I'm looking forward to the sequel.
FrederikWolferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:12 PM   #538
AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

Characters: https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2021/...a-turtles-lds/
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:18 PM   #539
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlZarkovski View Post
So...

Leo "is strictly business" and "Ralph" is stronger than him.

"Ralph" "likes to break sh**t."

Mikey "takes nothing seriously."

Don "feels like Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting." And "Donnie knows he’s smart, but his secret fear he’d never admit out loud is that if he was ever around people at his level, he worries he wouldn’t be able to keep up."

So... same caricatures (and a furthering of the "Raphael is the strongest Turtle" thing which seems as dumb as ever). The last one kind of reminds me of how Seth Rogen came off in the "Comedians in Cars" episode on Netflix where Jerry Seinfeld picked him up. He was downright scared sh**less.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:19 PM   #540
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlZarkovski View Post
“Ralph”

That said this is probably legit as the only thing that website gets right is based off information from casting grids like that.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote