The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 11-28-2016, 04:52 PM   #1
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior

Did you like Krang's retcon?

While Transdimensional turtles was good, the way they retconned Krang's origin could have been better. It was pretty much heavily implied he had a physical body. Here are a couple things of why I think it is inconsistent.

Krang never mentions his race or his race's name

Krang doesn't even look like the other Kraang. He has less tentacles, lavender eyes and is bigger and has a shade of pink instead.

We know he was banished to 2d earth but it still does not add up. We know there's a 2d earth and 3d earth. It makes sense there would be 2d and 3 d dimension x. Some will say there is only one dimension x but that could not be. Not only does 2d dimension x look different with different colors, such as 2d dimension x having a red background color in space, but there are also different versions of certain characters. 3d dimension x has it's own Tragg and Granitor just like 2d dimension x has it's own version of tragg and granitor, proving these dimensions are different. Not to mention krang has said he was a warlord in dimension x and several characters backed that up and that he wasn't banished for being an idiot.
Yabuturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:57 PM   #2
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

It's not an actual retcon, the 2D-verse isn't the same universe as FW it's still within the Nick show's version of multible dimensions.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:40 PM   #3
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Yeah, that 2D universe was more like a parallel FW dimension where the show was made in Flash. Maybe the OT cell animated Krang is still unrelated to the Kraang.

Also, I think it was mostly a joke.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:00 PM   #4
oldmanwinters
Overlord

It was a good effort to be clever on the part of the Nick writers, but that's about it...

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:21 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
Yeah, that 2D universe was more like a parallel FW dimension where the show was made in Flash..
That's just fanon. I'm 100% sure TPTB fully intended that to be the actual Fred Wolf universe. If they had money for traditional cel painters and animators and all of that, they would've.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #6
sdp
Megan Fox = April

The whole "it's an alternate universe similar but not the FW Turtles" is neat but also like trying too hard. They're obviously meant to be the FW turtles even if there's inconsistencies.

As far as the inconsistencies we had a thread about it when the episode aired here on this forum, I'll edit my post if I find it. As how do I feel about it? I'm not too crazy about it but I like the universes being more connected as well so a little of both. Now I don't believe the FW Krang has an actual body, it's only ever implied but never stated outright and I prefer it that way.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:16 PM   #7
ToTheNines
[sic]

It was pretty lazy. But they tried.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:53 PM   #8
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I actually really like Krang's retcon, and I think its perfectly reconcilable with the FW show.

The extra backstory gives us more insight into his history in Dimension X, an utrom who tried to overthrow his own race and establish a new empire, but was overpowered and banished by Subprime.

It was never explicitly stated who banished him in the OT, and I don't think the Neutrinos would've stood a chance against Krang's rock soldier army. On the contrary, the Kraang hive mind is extremely large and powerful (defeating even the Triceratons), so they would have no problem defeating a rebel amongst them, and would naturally strip Krang of his body (probably acquired via mutation) to humiliate him and banish him to 2D earth, where the Kraang wanted no involvement, instead preferring 3D earth to execute their plans.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:19 AM   #9
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That's just fanon.
It was more of a subtle criticism.

Quote:
If they had money for traditional cel painters and animators and all of that, they would've.
I bet they wouldn't.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:24 AM   #10
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I personally didn't care for it. OT Krang was known as an evil warlord type with his own army of rock soldiers awaiting his orders and stuff. You wouldn't get that impression from watching the Transdimensional Turtles ep.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:49 AM   #11
ABrown
Banned

No. Nickelodeon can pretend all that they like that the original cartoon existed within the realm of their universe, but it didn't.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:08 AM   #12
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
No. Nickelodeon can pretend all that they like that the original cartoon existed within the realm of their universe, but it didn't.
Right. At face value it's cute, but watch one episode of FW and you'll see that it's irreconcilable bunk.

As per my headcanon, Krang just met the Kraang through interdimensional travel and has dealt with them in the past. But he's not an Utrom and there is still at least 4 different Dimension X's.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:58 PM   #13
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I didn't like Krang's retcon. It didn't make sense to me, as I always thought he had a physical body as shown in the OT episode Invasion of the Krangazoids and Krang never referred to himself as an Utrom before.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:04 PM   #14
neatoman
Emperor

I guess the retcon doesn't really make any sense given what we knew about Krang, but then again, we are talking about a retcon to a show with two unrelated and contradictory depictions of Atlantis. I'll just pretend it's a subtle jab at the writing of the Fred Wolf cartoon and leave it at that.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:40 PM   #15
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I guess the retcon doesn't really make any sense given what we knew about Krang, but then again, we are talking about a retcon to a show with two unrelated and contradictor. I'll just pretend it's a subtle jab at the writing of the Fred Wolf cartoon and leave it at that.
That makes sense to me. I wasn't really bothered about the retcon anyway.

Last edited by Wesley; 11-29-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:08 PM   #16
Powder
So tired of this place

I liked it. I think it's silly to read too much into the OT's chronology, canon, etc. because so much of it is loose and/or contradictory. You can just kinda pick what you like, background-wise.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:41 PM   #17
Dust
Foot Soldier

Don't forget that Dimension X is a DIMENSION, not a planet, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that there is just one Dimension X, with many planets with similar yet different species, at least within the FW/Nick universes. This could mean that Krang's species could be a shoot off or perhaps the original version of Nick's Utroms, or they're related in some way, or perhaps they aren't related at all but look fairly similar.
Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:49 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
Don't forget that Dimension X is a DIMENSION, not a planet, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that there is just one Dimension X, with many planets with similar yet different species, at least within the FW/Nick universes. This could mean that Krang's species could be a shoot off or perhaps the original version of Nick's Utroms, or they're related in some way, or perhaps they aren't related at all but look fairly similar.
I do like the one Dimension X theory.

In my head, I like to imagine Dimension X is both the dimension of the Archie comics as well as containing a galaxy (X-shaped, as we see in Adventures) that contains what we traditionally think of as Dimension X. In that, there is the Fred Wolf Krang, the Kraang, and whatever that is in the latest "film."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:51 PM   #19
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
I do like the one Dimension X theory.

In my head, I like to imagine Dimension X is both the dimension of the Archie comics as well as containing a galaxy (X-shaped, as we see in Adventures) that contains what we traditionally think of as Dimension X. In that, there is the Fred Wolf Krang, the Kraang, and whatever that is in the latest "film."
Even IDW? That means yet another Krang, a second planet Neutrino, etc.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:52 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
I'm not sure I understand this correctly, the OT universe is entirely separate from Nick's. Only Krang is said to originate from their universe.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
krang, retcon