The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 08-17-2018, 09:54 AM   #1341
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
You're soooo wrong.

At least NECA and Nickelodeon have been paid for the sets that were scalped. The bootlegged sets use an image that is owned by Nickelodeon and a mold that NECA designed and paid for, hence NECA is owed something for every movie turtle produced. If paying your dues/paying what is owed to Nickelodeon and NECA makes you "sad," if not breaking the law makes you "sad," you have a much bigger problem.
This is a reading comprehension issue on your end.

Paying Neca fee’s doesn’t make me sad. Paying Scalper fee’s makes me sad. I think that’s clear in my previous post.

Neca will receive as much due money as possible given the rules in place by Playmates/Nickelodeon and the fact that it’s completely sold out. Bootlegging this product doesn’t harm them whatsoever.

In fact, it would only potentially harm scalpers. Interesting.

Last edited by AquaParade; 08-17-2018 at 09:59 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:24 PM   #1342
Shreddhead
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
This is a reading comprehension issue on your end.

Paying Neca fee’s doesn’t make me sad. Paying Scalper fee’s makes me sad. I think that’s clear in my previous post.

Neca will receive as much due money as possible given the rules in place by Playmates/Nickelodeon and the fact that it’s completely sold out. Bootlegging this product doesn’t harm them whatsoever.

100%!

Randy has stated that NECA will never again produce these 7” scale movie turtles. That means they won’t make another penny off of this mold.
How on earth does it hurt NECA if a 3rd party produces knockoffs?

Shreddhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:29 PM   #1343
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post

You are of course failing to account for the unforeseeable future. Some day, NECA could get approval to re-use the molds and re-release or update. But if everyone has procured the bootlegs instead by then, NECA probably won't be making as many sales on that future project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddhead View Post
Randy has stated that NECA will never again produce these 7” scale movie turtles.
This is marketing speak. You do not know whether that is true or false, and neither does Randy.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:34 PM   #1344
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Sure, there can be long term repercussions on supporting the bootleg industry. Just look at the BJD hobby and how recasts are screwing them over. But, when it comes to bigger toy companies they're not hurting due to bootlegs in the same capacity.

The bootleggers did over producer Mirage Turtles so much NECA don't see a reason to re-release them, so there's that.

Last edited by Candy Kappa; 08-17-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:12 PM   #1345
SilverNinja
Foot Soldier

I didn't realize the trading cards were different. I assumed you got a set amount...that everyone got the same handful of cards. Not sure if I want to open mine or not.
SilverNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:41 PM   #1346
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
You are of course failing to account for the unforeseeable future. Some day, NECA could get approval to re-use the molds and re-release or update. But if everyone has procured the bootlegs instead by then, NECA probably won't be making as many sales on that future project.

This is marketing speak. You do not know whether that is true or false, and neither does Randy.
I don’t see some bootlegs taking away from the absolutely crazy sales these figures are achieving. They’ve literally been selling out in seconds. But in theory, I see what you’re saying.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:01 AM   #1347
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.

If I've got the choice between dropping £100 on a set of knockoffs that are indistinguishable from the genuine article, or spending a month's rent on buying the real thing from some scummy piece of sh!t like our scalper pal up there, I know exactly what I'm doing.

Of course, the best scenario would be to buy them at a reasonable price from NECA, but they've ensured that that's not an option.
Discogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:20 AM   #1348
go_ninja84
Mad Scientist

you guys act as if these genuine sets will cost a months rent for ever. once a few months pass the prices will eventually go down and some point they will probably cost about the same as NECA charged. probably making bootlegging useless

im on the side of not bootlegging these as someone is still continuing to make money off someone else work. i mean if you wrote a song that made the top charts and someone re wrote your song and started making money off it you would want royalties wouldn't you?

even if NECA made their money from the sales thus far they are still entitled to the money that would be made selling more
go_ninja84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:24 AM   #1349
AquaParade
Banned

At the end of the day, no one is preventing Neca from making money on these but Playmates/Nickelodeon. My opinion may differ if the circumstances were different.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:37 AM   #1350
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

So you guys would rather pay someone who is using a mold to illegally produce product the licensor/artist hasn't received due royalties on than buy it from me at a mark up for the hassle of having to deal with overseas shipping regardless of the fact that I obtained in via legal means? Petty forum members.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:03 PM   #1351
go_ninja84
Mad Scientist

Quote:
So you guys would rather pay someone who is using a mold to illegally produce product the licensor/artist hasn't received due royalties on than buy it from me at a mark up for the hassle of having to deal with overseas shipping regardless of the fact that I obtained in via legal means? Petty forum members.
uhh ohh...
go_ninja84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:46 PM   #1352
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Interesting that he stands in defense of Neca’s royalties, yet he broke the one rule they had, by using alternative means to obtain more than two sets. A rule clearly in place to prevent scalpers, like Latin Kings, from re-selling their figures.
It appears he thinks the fact that it is “legal” gives him the moral high ground.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:49 PM   #1353
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

I didn't break their rule though. The rule was two sets per household. If I got these on a technicality that's my prerogative. I didn't buy them from filthy bootleggers. If they re-lease them at Gamestop with an option to order online I'm gonna do the same thing.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #1354
Shreddhead
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I didn't break their rule though. The rule was two sets per household. If I got these on a technicality that's my prerogative. I didn't buy them from filthy bootleggers. If they re-lease them at Gamestop with an option to order online I'm gonna do the same thing.
You’re calling bootleggers dirty, but you’re selling the individual turtles for $100 a pop... Why is it ok for you to profit from selling a figure you had no part in creating but not cool for bootleggers? And don’t act like you’re doing it to “Robin Hood” them and get them to the masses, you buying multiple sets for resale directly kept other fans from buying them from NECA.

Sounds to me like you bought a few sets to sell and are afraid that bootleggers may drive down the price of your scalping...

Shreddhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #1355
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Sounds to me like you bought a few sets to sell and are afraid that bootleggers may drive down the price of your scalping...
Womp womp.

Now if only the bootleggers would do a 1/4 scale Raph coat. ***Scalpmaster3000*** dude wants something like $75.

Just out of curiosity, how much did the bootlegs ding the value of the NECA Mirage figures?
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:32 PM   #1356
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
buy it from me at a mark up for the hassle of having to deal with overseas shipping
Yeah... You're charging quite the mark up, though.

I bought a diorama set on day 3, shipped to US address, shipped to Norway and with the expected import charges, it'll still be better then your prices for a non-diorama set
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:44 PM   #1357
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
anything is better than giving you business First Of Latin Scalper.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:29 PM   #1358
tmntfannumerouno
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_ninja84 View Post
you guys act as if these genuine sets will cost a months rent for ever. once a few months pass the prices will eventually go down and some point they will probably cost about the same as NECA charged. probably making bootlegging useless

im on the side of not bootlegging these as someone is still continuing to make money off someone else work. i mean if you wrote a song that made the top charts and someone re wrote your song and started making money off it you would want royalties wouldn't you?

even if NECA made their money from the sales thus far they are still entitled to the money that would be made selling more
It worked for Led Zeppelin
tmntfannumerouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:29 PM   #1359
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
You’re calling bootleggers dirty, but you’re selling the individual turtles for $100 a pop... Why is it ok for you to profit from selling a figure you had no part in creating but not cool for bootleggers? And don’t act like you’re doing it to “Robin Hood” them and get them to the masses, you buying multiple sets for resale directly kept other fans from buying them from NECA.

Bingo.

Latin Kings argument has more holes than Swiss cheese, but I admit it’s fun watching him play mental gymnastics in order to justify himself.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #1360
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Don't even try to use the moral card, those sets bought by scalpers to sell for an 100+% increase would've been bought by others either way, you're talking as if NECA would sit on thousands of unsold figures if it wasn't for those knights in shinning armor buying them.

So yes, I would've supported these as bootlegs over scalpers any day of the week, mind you only under these circustances, I would've never supported bootlegs of figures readily available to the masses, like for example any of the Figuarts/Revoltech/Playmates figures, but something like these are a-ok in my book, small releases made even smaller because of oportunists that only care about making a quick buck and couldn't care less about those poor people that designed, sculpted and painted these figures.