The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-10-2017, 07:16 AM   #121
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

No, but maybe more people like Andrew would be attracted. But then you're losing that precious 12-16 crowd. I dunno.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #122
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Would really a extra cuss word or some cgi blood splatters make the movie any different?
It would make it more realistic and not watered down. And responsible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
No, but maybe more people like Andrew would be attracted. But then you're losing that precious 12-16 crowd. I dunno.
Not really. I know tons of 12-16 year olds that still go to R-rated movies. As a kid it wasn't even a big deal. And all you need is a 17 year-old with you.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #123
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Also, consensus from actual Japanese people in Japan: movie is oh-kay, and no problem with ScarJo at all:

http://comicbook.com/anime/2017/04/0...ese-reactions/
Old 04-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #124
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
If they make another $100m they'll be even with a budget on $110m, and that's not accounting for the marketing budget.
Yeah, sadly I don't see it happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
They're taking a loss on this one. It'd be interesting to visit an alternate world where this was rated R and see if it would be faring any better. I doubt it.
Quote:
Would really a extra cuss word or some cgi blood splatters make the movie any different?

No, it would not.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:05 PM   #125
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Also, consensus from actual Japanese people in Japan: movie is oh-kay, and no problem with ScarJo at all:

http://comicbook.com/anime/2017/04/0...ese-reactions/
It helps that Scarjo looks like The Major.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:37 AM   #126
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Finally saw it. It's on Amazon Prime with commercials. I didn't dislike it. Great sweeping visuals and they did a good enough job to invest us in at least the main character, if no one else, really. Only 2 real complaints:

1: It went by so fast! I was just staring to go, "OK, I'm ready for the big finale now! I understand the world and the character and the stakes now!" But then it was over. Another 30 minutes or so was needed. Maybe they were shooting for "the trilogy"?

2: No, the PG-13 rating definitely hurt things. I thought it was mostly just going to be synthetic people blowing away synthetic people... but no. There are PLENTY of normal humans getting machine-gunned to death or shot in the head/face completely bloodlessly.

"Alita" was much better, honestly, but this wasn't BAD.

Btw: Can anyone "in the know" provide like a timeline of the "real" anime movies of this? I'm not really into anime but I'd be willing to give them a go to see what they were really going for.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:11 AM   #127
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Finally saw it. It's on Amazon Prime with commercials. I didn't dislike it. Great sweeping visuals and they did a good enough job to invest us in at least the main character, if no one else, really. Only 2 real complaints:

1: It went by so fast! I was just staring to go, "OK, I'm ready for the big finale now! I understand the world and the character and the stakes now!" But then it was over. Another 30 minutes or so was needed. Maybe they were shooting for "the trilogy"?

2: No, the PG-13 rating definitely hurt things. I thought it was mostly just going to be synthetic people blowing away synthetic people... but no. There are PLENTY of normal humans getting machine-gunned to death or shot in the head/face completely bloodlessly.

"Alita" was much better, honestly, but this wasn't BAD.

Btw: Can anyone "in the know" provide like a timeline of the "real" anime movies of this? I'm not really into anime but I'd be willing to give them a go to see what they were really going for.
I loved it - in it's own way it was as beautifully filmed as Blade Runner 2049 was. My biggest issue with it was only that they had to do the "dumb down the otherwise complex story to a common American style narrative for audiences" thing. The original existentialism was the core competence that made the original so enduring outside of the visuals of the time.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:27 PM   #128
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I loved it - in it's own way it was as beautifully filmed as Blade Runner 2049 was. My biggest issue with it was only that they had to do the "dumb down the otherwise complex story to a common American style narrative for audiences" thing. The original existentialism was the core competence that made the original so enduring outside of the visuals of the time.
I agree. Also wish they kept the GITS theme during the movie and not just at the end. Like yeah, it was a nice tribute at the closing credits, but I wanted to hear it DURING the movie.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 11-27-2020, 01:27 PM   #129
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I watched it on Oculus VR, the 3D is amazing, it was done very well. The movie was just boring to me, it also bothered me that Scarlett Johansson was the major, as you can see in this thread I defended the choice in the role since the shells are not necessarily meant to be asian but I think maybe an asian actress or someone not scarlett would've been a better choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I loved it - in it's own way it was as beautifully filmed as Blade Runner 2049 was.
I recently watched both Blade Runner and 2049, both are great movies. The original wasn't amazing to me but I think it's because I've seen so many similar stories by now that this one didn't impress as much as it should've if I had watched it say 35 years ago. 2049 is filmed beautifully indeed though, there's something just fresh about that movie, it doesn't feel like your generic action movie. The world doesn't seem as grim but overall I enjoyed it very much. I'm glad it bombed since I don't think I want a sequel.

I think I'll watch that spiritual tv show Electric Dreams on Amazon Prime instead.

Last edited by sdp; 11-27-2020 at 01:38 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:50 PM   #130
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I think I'll watch that spiritual tv show Electric Dreams on Amazon Prime instead.
I want to give that show another go. I had a hard time getting through the first episode.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:25 PM   #131
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
I watched it on Oculus VR, the 3D is amazing, it was done very well. The movie was just boring to me, it also bothered me that Scarlett Johansson was the major, as you can see in this thread I defended the choice in the role since the shells are not necessarily meant to be asian but I think maybe an asian actress or someone not scarlett would've been a better choice.
But then she wouldn't look like the Major. I don't see many people with the face and the body that could have looked like the Major more than Scarjo did.

Old 11-28-2020, 04:58 AM   #132
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

They had an Asian actress play the original human near the beginning. I honestly don't understand the problem and never have.

Like, who did they even have in the movie other than ScarJo for marquee value, to bring in audiences? Nobody. It's like (largely the white people, blue-haired types) people wanted them to cast... I don't know, Rila Fukushima, just because it was a Japanese anime, even if this would mean for sure it would have just tanked worse than it did. But as long as "justice" is had, right?

Again, where were all the people complaining about the rather popular The Ring remake not having a bunch of Japanese people in it? Weird.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:00 AM   #133
Sumac
Banned

Funny thing, that Japanese themselves haven't complained about ScarJo, all complaining was done by white people from the West.
Typical case of dumbos being offended on behalf of others and proving that they are fragile snowflakes, not people they are supposedly protecting.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:25 AM   #134
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Again, where were all the people complaining about the rather popular The Ring remake not having a bunch of Japanese people in it? Weird.
They didn't complain about the Ring because those movies came before the current cultural zeitgeist to be a sheep-racial-complainer. There was no societal incentive to complain about it then. Ghost In The Shell was a flawed, but great movie. In any other climate of normalcy it would've been a huge hit.

These people are disingenuous. They are liars and on-boarders. Don't believe them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Funny thing, that Japanese themselves haven't complained about ScarJo, all complaining was done by white people from the West.
Typical case of dumbos being offended on behalf of others and proving that they are fragile snowflakes, not people they are supposedly protecting.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:13 AM   #135
sdp
Megan Fox = April

You can look at my posts in the thread, I always defended a white person being the major, I just didn't like her in the actual movie. I do think perhaps a japanese actor could've been better but I'm not against anyone else since it's just a "shell", she was a terrible choice.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:06 PM   #136
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
You can look at my posts in the thread, I always defended a white person being the major, I just didn't like her in the actual movie. I do think perhaps a japanese actor could've been better but I'm not against anyone else since it's just a "shell", she was a terrible choice.
Find me an Asian action star actress with the exact same body as Scarjo and we'll talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
The worst part is, the creator of GITS himself liked Scarjo as the Major and these snowflake idiots have the nerve to say 'who cares if he did?' Like dude, **** off, you don't even like anime and just looking for something to pissy about.

Old 11-29-2020, 05:11 AM   #137
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
The worst part is, the creator of GITS himself liked Scarjo as the Major and these snowflake idiots have the nerve to say 'who cares if he did?' Like dude, **** off, you don't even like anime and just looking for something to pissy about.
In their minds he must be racist towards his own race, otherwise, how can anyone think that it's OK?
Old 11-29-2020, 07:02 AM   #138
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Find me an Asian action star actress with the exact same body as Scarjo and we'll talk.
I'm not into actors to know , but there are so many people out there it can't be difficult, to me u don't care if they have "star" powers i want someone to fit the role. I don't think scarjo fits the role of the major and frankly she's ugly now, I used to find her hot before but I don't know what surgeries she had that it didn't go well. She's also in her 30s and not 20s anymore when she was in her best looks.
She didn't do a good job in the movie, ticket sales weren't good so yeah I think they could've chosen better
Old 11-29-2020, 07:12 AM   #139
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It probably flopped for the same reasons Blade Runner 2 failed. Apparently this kind of movie is hard to market in this age. Would making this western production be an entirely Japanese cast have saved it, or even brought in one extra dollar? No. The opposite, if anything.

Honestly, the movie just needed more time to breathe towards the end, having watched it at last. And more teeth. But I don't know how much the SJW media daggers about diversity before it came out hurt it or just made it so people treated it as radioactive. No clue. That Blade Runner 2 failed so badly with a proven director and a good movie makes me think in other directions.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 11-29-2020 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #140
Sumac
Banned

It is strange - quality picture and good story, but they are failures while Marvel and DC make millions by offering the same routine over and over again. Sad.