The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > Announcement Forums > Questions/Comments/Suggestions

Notices

Old 08-27-2023, 03:12 PM   #41
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Wolf View Post
Word salad.

Politics have always been dicey subjects. It leads to inappropriate responses at best. People tend to toss aside civilized or constructive conversations for name calling and insults.

Your focus on the word toxic is strange. KROW is from a time before buzz words. I'm certain he isn't referring to it in the same context as you.

The forums had strict rules regarding certain subjects for the very reason of things getting out of hand. They also didn't allow people to continue to participate in incendiary conversations in general. It didn't stifle conversations, it didn't ruin the forums. In fact, most of us were pretty close knit and are life time friends because we could participate without being flamed for our opinions.

I don't think what KROW is proposing is that farfetched, unless you thrive on drama.
I post an articulate series of examples for the conversation and your best go-to is "word salad". You aren't having a conversation - you are trying to defeat a conversation. "Word salad".

Dude replies with "word salad", ironically illustrating the "toxic behavior" he is telling me that I have no grasp of. Bro, you look like you thrive on drama.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 03:14 PM   #42
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
From the first interracial on screen kiss to the first mutant rat on mutant cockroach kiss. How do boomers even cope.
The Boomers and their parents were the ones who started onscreen interracial kisses. The Millennials (people like Seth Rogen) are the ones who ship rodents with insects…and the ones who started sologamy. So yeah, the Boomers must be feeling pretty embarrassed right now.
Old 08-27-2023, 03:15 PM   #43
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
From the first interracial on screen kiss to the first mutant rat on mutant cockroach kiss. How do boomers even cope.
Boomers were the people who put the first interracial kiss on screen.
Old 08-28-2023, 02:39 AM   #44
Storm Wolf
The Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I post an articulate series of examples for the conversation and your best go-to is "word salad". You aren't having a conversation - you are trying to defeat a conversation. "Word salad".

Dude replies with "word salad", ironically illustrating the "toxic behavior" he is telling me that I have no grasp of. Bro, you look like you thrive on drama.

Because your whole argument was essentially on the context or usage of one word. I feel like you articulated on the wrong thing here. We're not arguing the definition of toxic.

Let's replace the word with detrimental. The abusive language that often times accompanies political discussion is detrimental to the group as a whole. NOT because the subject itself is bad or taboo, but because it often produces intense emotional responses that many people don't seem to have control of.

The best way to combat that is having neutral or level headed parties moderate to be sure it stays civil. You are free to speak your mind, however, you are not free from the consequences. Without some sort of boundaries, how are we to "keep the peace"? That doesn't mean that every person to cry "offended" will be immediately taken at thier word. It just means that if someone continues to cross boundaries set, then threads will be locked and repeat offenders will have consequences.

Weather you agree or disagree on the method, tell me you don't agree with the basic idea of keeping things civil?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwamu The Kappa View Post
Voting: pick which lies you think sounds best.
Storm Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 03:10 AM   #45
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Let's replace the word with detrimental. The abusive language that often times accompanies political discussion is detrimental to the group as a whole. NOT because the subject itself is bad or taboo, but because it often produces intense emotional responses that many people don't seem to have control of.
Like the folks that 4 years ago made the wave of "trigger warning" type stuff? Yeah, no way. I thought that faded away, as it should have, and already has from the college campuses it all spouted from. I think! Or maybe it still is.

Quote:
The best way to combat that is having neutral or level headed parties moderate to be sure it stays civil. You are free to speak your mind, however, you are not free from the consequences. Without some sort of boundaries, how are we to "keep the peace"? That doesn't mean that every person to cry "offended" will be immediately taken at thier word. It just means that if someone continues to cross boundaries set, then threads will be locked and repeat offenders will have consequences.

Weather you agree or disagree on the method, tell me you don't agree with the basic idea of keeping things civil?
No, don't agree. This seems ridiculous. You're throwing out words like "boundaries" and "consequences" and I'm pretty much done. Based on what scale? Determined by whom? Particularly if we're talking about politically-fueled topics coming from politically-fueled topics from the media. This is a recipe to DOA this forum.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 04:01 AM   #46
Dpooly84
Banned

Quote:
Because your whole argument was essentially on the context or usage of one word. I feel like you articulated on the wrong thing here. We're not arguing the definition of toxic.

Gestapos? You want secrete police right? What address do you want your arm band sent to?
Dpooly84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 09:42 AM   #47
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Like the folks that 4 years ago made the wave of "trigger warning" type stuff? Yeah, no way. I thought that faded away, as it should have, and already has from the college campuses it all spouted from. I think! Or maybe it still is.

No, don't agree. This seems ridiculous. You're throwing out words like "boundaries" and "consequences" and I'm pretty much done. Based on what scale? Determined by whom? Particularly if we're talking about politically-fueled topics coming from politically-fueled topics from the media. This is a recipe to DOA this forum.
Exactly. He's just doubling down on his hater-demands and denying the conversation, opting instead for semantics. Discussing the perception and weaponization of "toxic people" is not semantics - it's behavioral.

But several people here don't want to admit that. You know why? Because they are the same $#!(bags who want to contextual weaponize the definitions for their own use. The true deplorables.

How's that for irony?
Old 08-28-2023, 10:04 AM   #48
Storm Wolf
The Thread Killer

Quote:

How is that a recipe for DOA when the forums ran perfectly fine prior to them allowing it? Most people conducted themselves and the place didn't require the amount of moderation it did once the wave of new members came in and started trashing and insulting existing members.

Like I said, my take is nothing necessarily off limits. I like most all forms of conversation to be open. However, certain people do not know how to conduct themselves when discussing these things.

Dpool is clearly one of them. Just spouting nonsense about secret police because he wants to continue to attack Bob Barker. ? He wants to stoke the fires because he doesn't agree.
Quote:
Old 08-28-2023, 10:30 AM   #49
Storm Wolf
The Thread Killer

We will clearly never agree. That's fine. It's not like any of these ideas will come to fruition with the original creator out living his best life (at least I hope he's doing ok) I guess mostly I'm just nostalgic for the kind, friendly and welcoming environment I joined so many years ago. It was refreshing to me to have that in a time where there wasn't much of that in my real world life.

This place holds a lot of sentimental value to me. I'm glad it's still here, even if I don't really like some of the things going on. It is what it is and I think it just reflects the world's climate right now. Lots of kind folks, and lots of pot stirrers.
Quote:
Old 08-28-2023, 11:05 AM   #50
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I guess mostly I'm just nostalgic for the kind, friendly and welcoming environment I joined so many years ago.
You mean, nice and friendly environment where people saying things you didn't agree with were promptly banned or shouted down or whatnot because enough moderators were around and of like minds to your own. Yeah, I've been around here a while, too, and I remember your kind well. Sad to break it to you, but the "trigger warnings" days of the Drome are long behind in the rearview now.
Old 08-28-2023, 11:50 AM   #51
Storm Wolf
The Thread Killer

Quote:
You mean, nice and friendly environment where people saying things you didn't agree with were promptly banned or shouted down or whatnot because enough moderators were around and of like minds to your own. Yeah, I've been around here a while, too, and I remember your kind well. Sad to break it to you, but the "trigger warnings" days of the Drome are long behind in the rearview now.
Remember my kind? What is "my kind" if I may ask?

You keep bringing up "trigger warning " like that was a thing back then. No. They just didn't tolerate people who were repeatedly bullying other members or breaking the forum rules. I don't know how on earth you think we had a "trigger warning" atmosphere when we had Voltron as a mod. Haha! Dude was abrasive at times and they allowed it, so it wasn't all that strict. There were several other like minded mods as well, so I'm not sure where you get they just ejected everyone for anything they didn't like.

Also, if that wasn't what you aligned with, then why did you stay? I'm sure there were and are other places that are more in agreement of you mindset than this place was at that time.
Quote:
Old 08-28-2023, 12:02 PM   #52
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Also the 'times before that' was before this wave of gender/race swapping and the political overcorrection of everything seeped in all forms of media where not even the turtles are safe. From raceswapped April to MAGA expies on the Venus mini and other such nonsense.

When it gets to the point where Johnny Cage was excluded from the recent MK movie because 'too many white people' it's impossible not to discuss it.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 12:21 PM   #53
Storm Wolf
The Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Also the 'times before that' was before this wave of gender/race swapping and the political overcorrection of everything seeped in all forms of media where not even the turtles are safe. From raceswapped April to MAGA expies on the Venus mini and other such nonsense.

When it gets to the point where Johnny Cage was excluded from the recent MK movie because 'too many white people' it's impossible not to discuss it.
Admittedly it has gotten out of hand.

I just don't understand why that has to equate to being a total tool. On either side.

Did I miss the memo? Is attempting to be fair now a left movement or something? Treat others how you wish to be treated must be old time talk.

I don't agree with a lot of the pushes the left makes, but I do believe that we should all at least TRY to be kind in our dealings with other people.I do believe that Most of us have the same basic agenda, which is to live life comfortably the way we see fit. We just can't seem to agree on how to get that thing done.
Quote:
Old 08-28-2023, 03:46 PM   #54
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:

Did I miss the memo? Is attempting to be fair now a left movement or something?
You mean right wing. Nowadays the left is trying to make even going to the gym a right wing movement.

It seems nowadays a lot of simple common sense is right wing, while stuff like men being able to give birth is a left wing thing.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 08-28-2023, 04:59 PM   #55
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Trying to be fair is now something from the "f*** your feelings" right wing? I don't think so.

You know who I saw salivating online over the idea of a new civil war there for quite a while? All rightists. Never saw a single left leaning person eager and wanting it. So, yeah, sorry if I don't trust the right even an inch anymore. Not when so many appeared eager to harm their own countrymen/women.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 05:25 PM   #56
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Trying to be fair is now something from the "f*** your feelings" right wing? I don't think so.

You know who I saw salivating online over the idea of a new civil war there for quite a while? All rightists. Never saw a single left leaning person eager and wanting it. So, yeah, sorry if I don't trust the right even an inch anymore. Not when so many appeared eager to harm their own countrymen/women.
This isnt happening. Stop going to Twitter and seeing people on the left trying to fear monger others into believing their narrative.

Last Movie Watched: IIndiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008.
Last TV Show Watched: Halo (S2:E1).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 05:27 PM   #57
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
You know who I saw salivating online over the idea of a new civil war there for quite a while? All rightists. Never saw a single left leaning person eager and wanting it.
Of course. The left is very happy with the direction the country is going in. Plus we have all the guns.
Old 08-28-2023, 06:24 PM   #58
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Primer View Post
This is the issue with this place and it's shown clearly above. Certain users cannot post in any topic without it devolving into right-wing drivel. It wasn't like this before, we used to be able to discuss things in the 2012 days while staying on topic. Now every single thread is basically just a soapbox for "THE LIBERALLSSSS" speech, and I don't think your flimsy justification of "oh all media is woke so it's fair game" is justified either. None of this talk should ever leave the subforums; it's a Ninja Turtles forum but you wouldn't know that by the stuff that gets posted here.
The same can be said in the other direction. Can't discuss things without the libs being offended. So it's only OK if the Drome becomes a leftist echo chamber? Both sides are insane in their own way.

Old 08-28-2023, 06:56 PM   #59
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Primer View Post
For sure, so we need to keep it in the subforums and leave the TMNT threads to exclusively talk about TMNT. Even TMNT-related talk like what's found in the MM thread is less about the movie and more about some people's beef with the "politics" surrounding some creative decisions.

The real issue is that the rest of the TMNT fandom has moved elsewhere and the few users left here have more interest with political discourse than the current content. Which is fine, but doesn't help the legacy of what this place will be in a few years. New TMNT fans are not gonna come here, which might be a good thing to many of you, but the forum won't keep going if this direction continues.
Then tell modern day politics to stay out of Ninja Turtles. More fighting the Foot, less gender swaps and red caps.

Old 08-28-2023, 07:28 PM   #60
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Then tell modern day politics to stay out of Ninja Turtles. More fighting the Foot, less gender swaps and red caps.

Warning: Language