The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 11:45 PM   #41
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They're not so much "scripts" as they are summaries from which Lawson has to extrapolate dialogue and everything else.

Seriously though...that only says good things about Lawson.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:37 AM   #42
Spitfire
Writer • Director

You know some fan is going to make a fan comic out of these scripts when he releases them anyways. All the power too them, I actually hope someone does that.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:10 AM   #43
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

I'm pretty sure Peter puts the dialogue in there too. Certain of it in fact.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:56 AM   #44
discordiatookie
facehugger

Well, I was and am a fan of vol 4, and if I had gotten this news a year ago, i'd be dissapointed. However, from reading between the lines on Laird's blog, I guess I must've been 90% expecting this. I would prefer the actual comic in hand, but I guess I can live with just reading it online. Better than nothing!

Whilst it would be awesome to see other folk take over the reigns and work on vol 4, where would the paychecks be coming from to finish them, without Laird's funding? Us, the fans? How many grumbles were there with the whole spending $10 on a comic when that idea came out? I couldn't see it happen, i'm afraid.

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #45
Spitfire
Writer • Director

If it ensured release I'd help fund a book, I bet a few other fans would too.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #46
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
If it ensured release I'd help fund a book, I bet a few other fans would too.
I'd help fund more Tales or the completion of the Gang Wars arc... but not volume 4. I'll be happy with the outlines/fan-comic versions of the volume 4 conclusion.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #47
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I'd help fund more Tales or the completion of the Gang Wars arc... but not volume 4. I'll be happy with the outlines/fan-comic versions of the volume 4 conclusion.
Well yeah same here. I want to see that gang arc fixed and I also want to see "Forever War" damn it.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #48
Cipher
Foot Elite

Not sure how to feel about this.

On the one hand, I like Volume 4 enough to have waited for completed issues to come out, however long that needed to take.

On the other, at least we're getting wind of its conclusion, even if it is in non-print, non-comic form. C'est la vie.

Ultimately, I still feel that the best choice would have been to pass concepts along to another writer/artist and have it be finished that way. And the fact that no story arc has been properly concluded since "City at War" is kind of inexcusable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanHuwJones
I'm pretty sure Peter puts the dialogue in there too. Certain of it in fact.
I was going to say, it certainly seems that way. Lawson is a much better character/dialogue man than that.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #49
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think its disgusting the fans have to make an effort to get an ending because the guys in charge won't give us one.

LMAO, Volume 4 better get in line behind the Image Conclusion and Archie's Forever War.

How sick. Three conclusions now the fans have to do. Its almost as if we now know the routine. Wait 10 years for an ending but the fans have to do it themselves.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #50
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I think its disgusting the fans have to make an effort to get an ending because the guys in charge won't give us one.

LMAO, Volume 4 better get in line behind the Image Conclusion and Archie's Forever War.

How sick. Three conclusions now the fans have to do. Its almost as if we now know the routine. Wait 10 years for an ending but the fans have to do it themselves.

One could call it sick, or one could say we're the most hardcore fans of a property. At least we try to keep it alive & aid the other fans. F*ck those in control who won't please the one portion of the fan base they haven't alienated.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #51
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!

So Laird posted today on his blog about why cant Lawson or some other Mirage guy finish it up. He basically said it is his ''baby'' and that he would rather see it unfinshed. But then also said if Viacom ever wanted to finish it up, they have every right to do so. Wow.

Read here:

http://plairdblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/process.html
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #52
Powder
So tired of this place

Process
Today, June 13, 2010, 11 hours ago | noreply@blogger.com (PL)
"‪Dan‬ said...
If you already have the plots written out why not just have Jim and Eric do the comic?"

"Dan" posted this comment to my "Falling Away" blog entry a few days ago, and I thought it reflected a significant enough misunderstanding of what I was trying to do with TMNT Volume 4 that it might be worth expounding upon in a separate blog post instead of just responding in the "Comments" section.

When I started TMNT Volume 4 back in 2001, I didn't have a complete, coherent vision of where I wanted the book to go in terms of plot and action and characters -- that was something I felt would evolve from the story ideas I did have, and that's how (at least as I see it) the series came out.

But I did have a specific way of working in mind, and it differed from the way Jim Lawson and I did the three "Planet Racers" graphic novels together, in several ways. Perhaps the most significant way was that while on "Planet Racers", after discussing the plot with me, Jim would produce layouts with rough dialogue notes which I would later expand, tweak and polish when I did the final lettering, with TMNT I would do all of the dialogue, with no input from Jim. This is not to say that Jim's artwork did not affect my dialogue -- to the contrary, I often found that some interesting and unexpected detail Jim had added to a panel, or the way he laid out a scene, or an expression he gave to a character's face would lead me to think of some line or two or three of dialogue I very likely would NOT have thought of otherwise.

But story-wise and dialogue-wise, TMNT Volume 4 was always intended to be my baby. I viewed it as a long-term experiment in telling the kind of extended Turtle story that I wanted to tell, with no input from anyone else (save for the artwork). And I was able to hone and tweak it to my heart's content, especially in the dialogue, captions and such, the placement of balloons, the fonts used, and so forth, but also in the tones used on the art. And I also from time to time would shift panels around, occasionally deleting one or two, sometimes flipping them horizontally or cropping them if, as I was writing the dialogue, the layout of the word balloons as it affected the flow of what was being said didn't work as needed. It was a very personal project, and I wanted it to be exactly the way I wanted and needed it to be.

Some may call this "selfish" -- in fact, I have actually seen it referred to as just that in some forums -- but I believe that kind of comment betrays a woeful lack of comprehension of the creative process… or, at the very least, of MY creative process.

Now, this is not to say that Jim and Eric couldn't take my plots and together do the four or five or six or more issues which would wrap up Volume 4. They are both very smart, creative guys, and I have no doubt that they could tell a good story in art and words. But it wouldn't be they way I would have done it, and Volume 4 has been such a personal project that -- to me -- it just does not seem worth it. I'd rather see it unfinished.

It's possible (though how likely, I can't say) that someone at Viacom, the new owners of the TMNT property, might take a look at Volume 4 at some point and say "This is a pretty neat; let's put some people on it to keep it going or to finish it up." That would be entirely their right to do so, and it might prove very interesting. But speaking solely for myself, it just wouldn't be the way I intended it to go. And while that may mean something only to me, that's just how it is. -- PL

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:42 PM   #53
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Okay. Fine. Volume 4 is "his" and nobody else can ever "have it".

Sure. Whatever.

But if that's the case, then I would really, really like Volume 4 to be excised from continuity like the cancer it is.

It's not fair to have a huge chunk of story inserted into the ongoing narrative only for the creator to decide he will never finish it and he will never let anyone else finish it for him and that the people who paid money for 30 issues can just go screw themselves, because it's "his".

If he wants Volume 4 to be his and his exclusively, then he's welcome to it. But if that's the case, then I'd much rather it be some loen splinter continuity that can be ignored by the ongoing storyline of the Mirage universe.

Who knows if that universe will ever be continued, but if it IS, then I'd rather whoever continues it just pick up from the Mirage "Volume 3" stories (the ones from Tales volume 2 that take place before Volume 4) and then go in a direction that'll offer actual results.

And that's even before I weigh in the stuff in Volume 4 I didn't like, such as "April is a magic doodle" and so on.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #54
turkishproverb
Stone Warrior

Laird is essentially implying his "writing" since planet racers (possibly longer) has been in the same vein as the "marvel style" which gave so much latitude to artists as to earn them, in many peoples opinion, co writing status.

And yet Lawson isn't worthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Okay. Fine. Volume 4 is "his" and nobody else can ever "have it".

Sure. Whatever.

But if that's the case, then I would really, really like Volume 4 to be excised from continuity like the cancer it is.

It's not fair to have a huge chunk of story inserted into the ongoing narrative only for the creator to decide he will never finish it and he will never let anyone else finish it for him and that the people who paid money for 30 issues can just go screw themselves, because it's "his".

If he wants Volume 4 to be his and his exclusively, then he's welcome to it. But if that's the case, then I'd much rather it be some loen splinter continuity that can be ignored by the ongoing storyline of the Mirage universe.

Who knows if that universe will ever be continued, but if it IS, then I'd rather whoever continues it just pick up from the Mirage "Volume 3" stories (the ones from Tales volume 2 that take place before Volume 4) and then go in a direction that'll offer actual results.

And that's even before I weigh in the stuff in Volume 4 I didn't like, such as "April is a magic doodle" and so on.

*kisses Spengler*

Ermmm....

that is....

Agreed with everything he said.

*hides*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Raider View Post
But me, Grimlock, love Raphael! He cool, but rude!

I suspected.
turkishproverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:50 PM   #55
Cipher
Foot Elite

I'm totally down with it being his personal project and artistic vision, BUT -

The one issue I take with it, and I'm sure Laird and even some fans may disagree, is that this is not great literary art we're dealing with, where the creator's vision and the piece's integrity need to be maintained. This is pure serialized genre, and is an important piece of an existing continuity. If he wanted to nurture an artistic baby, he should have done so outside of the vast anthropology of existing Turtles canon. As it stands, this is one long series with dozens of contributors, and now a large and extremely important section (which determines the direction of all later events) of that story is tied up and not properly finished.

He brought April's origin, aliens on Earth, an entire new world for the Turtles to interact with, and new problems into the Mirage universe. And regardless of how you feel about them, leaving those enormous character arcs unresolved now cheapens the entire Mirage run as a whole story.

I don't read stories without endings; they're the most important damn element in all of fiction. I would not have paid for the issues I bought if I didn't think I was going to get a complete story out of it. I've always appreciated the fact that the Mirage team were clearly writing stories they enjoyed, but at the same time, someone has to realize that they're producing a serialized piece of fiction which fans want to be able to cohesively read. I would never demand that they cater to fans' whims with their actual ideas, but I don't think it's out of line to want or expect and ending to the volume. I don't care who writes it.

So, yeah. Biting the bullet and passing on scripting and writing duties would have been by far the best choice. If this was a stand-alone volume or Turtles were high art, my opinion would be different. But as it stands, this was simply not the proper venue for a personal vanity story, not at this point in the series' run. But again, c'est la vie. I'd rather get the summaries than get nothing at all.

Last edited by Cipher; 06-13-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #56
CyberCubed
Overlord

Even though I expected this before he posted that blog, it really does suck.

I've been reading Volume 4 since 2001! I was still in High School when Volume 4 started...for goodness sakes!

And yeah, leaving a huge story like Vol. 4 unfinished just feels like a slap in the face. I just can't see why he feels so much parental control over it when he's not going to bother continuing it anyway.

My only hope is a few years from now Pete might get nostalgic to do Turtle work again and might conclude it. That's our only hope (well, for those who want it finished), does anyone see something like that happening?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #57
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
And yeah, leaving a huge story like Vol. 4 unfinished just feels like a slap in the face. I just can't see why he feels so much parental control over it when he's not going to bother continuing it anyway.
Just to clarify, I can definitely see why he might, if it were out of continuity and a different sort of story. There are some written works that should never be finished by someone else because it would disturb the artistic merit and the creator's intent. I get that.

It's just that Volume 4 was:

1) Serialized, so we all purchased with expectation of a resolution.
2) Designed to fit into a network of continuity, and is one of the most important eras in said continuity. It going unfinished mars a lot more than just Volume 4 itself.
3) Is a fun little sci-fi story written as it went a long, nothing exceptionally literary.

He's essentially said that it was his fun little pet project. I just hope he realizes that while he was having fun with it, we were all following it seriously, waiting for the pay-off.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #58
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
So excise it from continuity. I did years ago. No other publisher would ever even consider touching the material there, so you've really nothing to worry about.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:39 PM   #59
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
So excise it from continuity. I did years ago. No other publisher would ever even consider touching the material there, so you've really nothing to worry about.
What about the issues of Tales that are either set in the Volume 4 era or reference the stories from that series? You ignore those Tales issues too?

I can't do something like that, Vol. 4 impacted Tales and a large chunk of it is interconnected.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #60
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
What about the issues of Tales that are either set in the Volume 4 era or reference the stories from that series? You ignore those Tales issues too?

I can't do something like that, Vol. 4 impacted Tales and a large chunk of it is interconnected.
I can appreciate a good story on its own if I happen to like it. Doesn't mean I have to accept Vol. 4 as continuity to do so. IMO several of you are way too tied up in the official continuity/canon OMG WHERE DOES THIS STORY FALL ON THE TIMELINE?!! crap. Enjoy it for what it is, or don't. I got no value out of Vol. 4, so I am happy to ignore it and shed no tears that it will be left unresolved. Good riddance, if you ask me.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote