The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-07-2020, 05:33 AM   #361
newfan
Mad Scientist

What a derail.
2012 is supposed to be mixed comedy and darker elements, when I was trying to fill the void after the show ended I found 2k3 filled the gap for me a little more, they all however feel like different toons to me, people like more than one depending on what they can enjoy about them. 2012 will always remain my favourite (unless another ever comes along and I like that more) but I liked 2k3 also.

So far as the Mikey part of the derail, as pointed out already the issues people have with the two versions are different things but I did find myself thinking 'man what a jerk' at times with 2k3, the voice used probably didn't help when it came to whining or showing but I didn't totally dislike him.

Hopefully soon we'll get more movie info and then good or bad we will back on topic

Last edited by newfan; 08-07-2020 at 06:07 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:11 AM   #362
neatoman
Emperor

Trying to defend the Nicktoon as more mature in any sense is a bit awkward considering it's the show with the Ice Cream Kitty, Muckman, Pizza Face, Sparrow Wizard, April Derp, Mutant Zits, Bigfoot crushing on Don, Dream Beavers, Skateboard Sewer Race, Wyrm, Mikey's wacky mind world, Batman 1966 homage and probably more that would this paragraph unreadable if I kept adding to it.

There is so much of that show that isn't just stupid but clearly meant to be stupid that it's hard to take anything about it seriously. When Splinter dies it doesn't hit hard, it just feels out place. What's worse is that the story of that show is not good and feels the need to repeat many of the same beats. Splinter "died" a few times before he really did and when they really did kill him off it seemed kind of hollow.

If the Nicktoon tried to be mature, it either failed to or it was mere lipservice to maturity.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:58 PM   #363
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Trying to defend the Nicktoon as more mature in any sense is a bit awkward considering it's the show with the Ice Cream Kitty, Muckman, Pizza Face, Sparrow Wizard, April Derp, Mutant Zits, Bigfoot crushing on Don, Dream Beavers, Skateboard Sewer Race, Wyrm, Mikey's wacky mind world, Batman 1966 homage and probably more that would this paragraph unreadable if I kept adding to it.

There is so much of that show that isn't just stupid but clearly meant to be stupid that it's hard to take anything about it seriously. When Splinter dies it doesn't hit hard, it just feels out place. What's worse is that the story of that show is not good and feels the need to repeat many of the same beats. Splinter "died" a few times before he really did and when they really did kill him off it seemed kind of hollow.

If the Nicktoon tried to be mature, it either failed to or it was mere lipservice to maturity.
Yeah man.

If anyone asked me "What makes 2K3 so much more 'sophisticated' or whatever than the Nick show?", my knee-jerk response would be, "Did you even watch them?" Because it's one of those things that should just be patently obvious on its face without requiring a ton of explanation. But yeah, one of these shows has a mutant cat made out of ice cream, or something. That says it all.

Granted, I can only speak to what I've seen most often, that being the first three Seasons of 2K3 and the first Season of Nick. They both had their strengths and weaknesses, but "neutered" as it may have been 2K3 still aimed much higher and hit the mark much more often than it's Nicktoon counterpart. The latter show was hellbent on being "silly" right from the jump and that's partly why they lost me very early on.

Anyways, Rogen says what we all subliminally knew. Y'think we'll get more than 20 minutes into the movie before Mikey asks someone to pull his finger?

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:05 PM   #364
AquaParade
Banned

The reason 2k3 comes off as so silly to me is because it thinks it's mature when it so clearly isn't. It's sort of painful to watch. Like someone trying to be something they're not. Whereas, the other cartoons are comfortable within their own skin.

As for which is more mature between the cartoons? Neither. That was my original argument anyway. They are all intended for younger audiences and there is nothing "mature" about them.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #365
Leo656
The Franchise

I dunno, man. When I watched Season 1 of 2K3 recently there were almost a dozen incidents before the Season was half over where I said out loud, "Man, this is kind of heavy for a kids show. I bet they got phone calls."

This is just a general observation, but I find that people who lean heavily towards Mirage, often discount the 2K3 show for being "Mirage-Lite", therefore it's "juvenile". I, personally, don't give much of a sh*t about Mirage (comic book equivalent of Saltine crackers, in my own humble opinion) and therefore am not comparing 2K3 directly to that, other than giving them points for bothering to lean into it so much in the early goings (something more shows should do when adapting something).

I just see so many comments from people about how "mature" or "juvenile" 2K3 Is or Is Not come back to Mirage in some kind of roundabout way, or even a direct way. But if you take it as JUST a "kids show"... the early Seasons, at least, were very "dark and violent" for a kids show. Like, they got away with stuff even Batman: TAS wasn't allowed to go near. To imply otherwise isn't being fair. They got away with quite a lot with 2K3.

I mean, if a person were inclined I'm sure they could sit down and make a checklist as to whether 2K3 or the Nick show had more "serious" or "dark" moments. But if we flip it around and focus just on which show is more silly... well, c'mon, Nick. Nick is obviously a much, much sillier show; therefore 2K3 is "more mature" by default without even having to try to be. But it did try to be, and early on at least they did a good job at it.

Old 08-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #366
AquaParade
Banned

Good points. But being silly doesn't necessarily mean being less mature.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:39 PM   #367
neatoman
Emperor

The issue with the Nicktoon is that it essentially tries to create a reverse of levity in drama, create what is essentially a comedy with serious moments of drama, which does not work. If your show is primarily comedic, you expect a comedic outcome. You can have steaks but they can't be undermined by the general tone.

Imagine this:
A clown steps out of his tiny car. He slips on a banana peel onto a trampoline. The force of the trampoline launches him to the top of a building being demolishhed. He falls onto a wrecking ball and as it swings he jumps into a swimming pool where belly flops. When he gets out of the pool... He slips on anther banana peel... And this time he falls head first onto a brick wall and breaks his neck with a loud crunch. His family then holds a serious funeral for him with no comedic overtones.

That is what the Nicktoon is like to me. It doesn't work because the payoff is off-tone.
Hahahaha!
Old 08-07-2020, 05:10 PM   #368
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Good points. But being silly doesn't necessarily mean being less mature.
Really? Huh. I mean... maybe. I guess.

I mean "Ernest Goes To Camp" is certainly more "mature", or at least heartfelt, than stuff like "Ernest Scared Stupid", sure, but at that point it's kinda splitting hairs, no?

I kinda feel like "silly" and "mature" are antithetic. Perhaps it's from upbringing; as a youngster, if I was acting below my age or otherwise being a pest, people would say, "Stop being silly. That's not very mature." The implication being that you can't be both of those things at once. Which makes sense to me.

But I mean, maybe? I don't know, I'd have to see the math.

Quote:
The issue with the Nicktoon is that it essentially tries to create a reverse of levity in drama, create what is essentially a comedy with serious moments of drama, which does not work. If your show is primarily comedic, you expect a comedic outcome. You can have steaks but they can't be undermined by the general tone.

Imagine this:
A clown steps out of his tiny car. He slips on a banana peel onto a trampoline. The force of the trampoline launches him to the top of a building being demolishhed. He falls onto a wrecking ball and as it swings he jumps into a swimming pool where belly flops. When he gets out of the pool... He slips on anther banana peel... And this time he falls head first onto a brick wall and breaks his neck with a loud crunch. His family then holds a serious funeral for him with no comedic overtones.

That is what the Nicktoon is like to me. It doesn't work because the payoff is off-tone.
You're a good egg.

Old 08-07-2020, 05:54 PM   #369
AquaParade
Banned

Well, just think of a goofy but responsible older uncle vs your brooding 13 year old cousin.

Is your cousin really more mature because he has his arms crossed in the corner while your uncle plays tag with the 5 year olds?
No, but he probably thinks he is.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:22 PM   #370
Leo656
The Franchise

Interesting analogy, but I feel like sincerity of authorial intent should count for something as well, and that's something I don't feel like enough people consider when it comes to these things.

2K3 and Nick were clearly approaching the material from different directions. With 2K3, one strongly gets the sense that if they could have gotten away with it, then the show would have been entirely "played straight" with a minimum of gags or comedic elements or "toy-etic" bits. So, SO much of the first Season, especially, plays like a blatant "F*ck You" to everything that the FW cartoon was, and that may be off-putting for some but I felt that it was exactly what was necessary at that time. And you can tell that they were clearly pushing boundaries insofar as what they could "get away with" within the confines of what was ostensibly children's programming, to the point where when they did inject something "silly", it felt forced, like a begrudging concession to expectations rather than something they actually wanted to do. The comedic or toy-potential bits felt like they were executed through gritted teeth; "Well, we ARE a kids show, after all..." But it obviously wasn't what they wanted to be the focus. At least the early Seasons.

Conversely, the Nick show, as neatoman pointed out, generally operated on the assumption that if you spent ten minutes on someone getting hit by pies, but then suddenly cut someone's head off, then things somehow tonally balance out. Their attempts at being more serious came off as insincere and even pandering. "Well, we WANT to just be a straight comedy, but we know there's a few older TMNT fans who'll whine if we don't put SOME more serious content in there."

It really felt like the execution and intent from the two shows came from entire polar opposite perspectives. Like 2K3 would have been serious all the time if they were allowed, and Nick would have been a straight comedy if they were allowed. Consequently, the humor in 2K3 felt forced, and the "serious" bits in the Nick show felt forced. Because in either case those elements weren't in there by design, rather by the knowledge that to some degree one must cater to what's expected.

The "mature" bits of 2K3 felt sincere to me. The ones in the Nick show did not. They felt very, very forced and even out of place at times. So I don't feel like 2K3 is the "pouty teen" in the analogy; if anything, the Nick show was occasionally that. It occasionally put on a front that was anything but true to its real values.

Seeing how the films turned out, as well as "Rise", it is very obvious to me that Nick Corporate simply wants this franchise to be 100% Comedy, and that they only lean into anything more "mature" because they have to occasionally pretend to care about the older fans. But it's not what they WANT to do.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:49 PM   #371
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Interesting analogy, but I feel like sincerity of authorial intent should count for something as well, and that's something I don't feel like enough people consider when it comes to these things.

2K3 and Nick were clearly approaching the material from different directions. With 2K3, one strongly gets the sense that if they could have gotten away with it, then the show would have been entirely "played straight" with a minimum of gags or comedic elements or "toy-etic" bits. So, SO much of the first Season, especially, plays like a blatant "F*ck You" to everything that the FW cartoon was, and that may be off-putting for some but I felt that it was exactly what was necessary at that time. And you can tell that they were clearly pushing boundaries insofar as what they could "get away with" within the confines of what was ostensibly children's programming, to the point where when they did inject something "silly", it felt forced, like a begrudging concession to expectations rather than something they actually wanted to do. The comedic or toy-potential bits felt like they were executed through gritted teeth; "Well, we ARE a kids show, after all..." But it obviously wasn't what they wanted to be the focus. At least the early Seasons.

Conversely, the Nick show, as neatoman pointed out, generally operated on the assumption that if you spent ten minutes on someone getting hit by pies, but then suddenly cut someone's head off, then things somehow tonally balance out. Their attempts at being more serious came off as insincere and even pandering. "Well, we WANT to just be a straight comedy, but we know there's a few older TMNT fans who'll whine if we don't put SOME more serious content in there."

It really felt like the execution and intent from the two shows came from entire polar opposite perspectives. Like 2K3 would have been serious all the time if they were allowed, and Nick would have been a straight comedy if they were allowed. Consequently, the humor in 2K3 felt forced, and the "serious" bits in the Nick show felt forced. Because in either case those elements weren't in there by design, rather by the knowledge that to some degree one must cater to what's expected.

The "mature" bits of 2K3 felt sincere to me. The ones in the Nick show did not. They felt very, very forced and even out of place at times. So I don't feel like 2K3 is the "pouty teen" in the analogy; if anything, the Nick show was occasionally that. It occasionally put on a front that was anything but true to its real values.

Seeing how the films turned out, as well as "Rise", it is very obvious to me that Nick Corporate simply wants this franchise to be 100% Comedy, and that they only lean into anything more "mature" because they have to occasionally pretend to care about the older fans. But it's not what they WANT to do.
I don't know, episodes such as "Vengeance is mine", "Invasion" and "Return to New York city" DO have comedic moments but certainly don't paint the 2012 series as being just a humor for the sake of humor series as you guys describe it.

Heck, take a look at the season two opener "The Mutation situation" there was very little to laugh about in that episode.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:07 PM   #372
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
I don't know, episodes such as "Vengeance is mine", "Invasion" and "Return to New York city" DO have comedic moments but certainly don't paint the 2012 series as being just a humor for the sake of humor series as you guys describe it.

Heck, take a look at the season two opener "The Mutation situation" there was very little to laugh about in that episode.
I don't think you understand the argument.
Hahahaha!
Old 08-07-2020, 08:21 PM   #373
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I don't think you understand the argument.
You're probably right, It's four in the morning here and I can't sleep with the heatwave going on.

I'll just slip back into the sewers...
Old 08-09-2020, 05:26 PM   #374
AquaParade
Banned

Okay, this is somewhat interesting:

Rogen and Goldberg are rebooting 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' and making a movie with the director of 'Call Me by Your Name'
Rogen and Goldberg are hard at work reviving the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" franchise with a coming animated movie for Nickelodeon. It is set to be directed by Jeff Rowe ("Connected") and written by the "Neighbors" franchise scribe Brendan O'Brien. It marks the first time Point Grey has a legacy IP to play around with, and it's all the more special for Rogen and Goldberg, as they are big fans of the heroes in a half shell.

"When I look at 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,' the teenage part was weirdly what stuck out to me the most," Rogen said. "I think one thing we've been pretty consistently good at over the years is creating material about teenagers, from 'Blockers,' 'Good Boys,' and 'Superbad.' That was really what became exciting for us is how do we make a great action-adventure movie that's also a great teenage movie."

Goldberg said the duo's personal interest became evident to everyone on the "Turtles" project in a recent call when he and Rogen found out some story notes were given to O'Brien that they didn't know about.

"We freaked out more than normal," Goldberg said. "They were just shocked by that, but we were like, 'Guys, we just really care about this.'"

https://www.insider.com/seth-rogen-e...-movies-2020-8

To me, it sounds something like Spider-Man Homecoming.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:57 PM   #375
Leo656
The Franchise

Being compared to "Superbad" and "Homecoming" is just more nickels in the "Nope" jar from me.

This is totally gonna be one of those movies where if you generally like the way the guy handling it makes movies, you'll like it, and if you don't, you won't. Happens all the time, but it's a bit disappointing all the same, on account of we just got done with that kinda thing with BayTurtles. If you like the Bay aesthetic, those movies are brilliant. If you've ever once in your life enjoyed a movie without something exploding, they're awful. No middle ground.

This won't likely be such an... extreme case, but it will ultimately come down to whether or not you like Rogen's sense of humor in general.

I haaaaaaate it. I absolutely abhor Rogen's entire gimmick. So yeah, this will probably be the third "major" TMNT movie in a row that I don't bother to ever see. And that's disappointing.

I'm sure it will totally hit the mark with people who like what he sells, though. And that's not altogether a bad thing, I guess. There's definitely a place for "juvenile" humor in this world; I mean I love Family Guy and Aqua Teen way more than most people.

I was just hoping the next TMNT project wouldn't be a "dick and fart joke" movie, but it undoubtedly will be. Not the end of the world, I guess. It just reinforces my belief that for the rest of my life, there will never, ever be a TMNT project that I truly enjoy. And that makes me sad.

Old 08-09-2020, 05:59 PM   #376
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
To me, it sounds something like Spider-Man Homecoming.
And that sounds worrying to me
Old 08-09-2020, 06:14 PM   #377
Leo656
The Franchise

I know, right? "He's wearing the costume, but literally Every Other thing has no resemblance at all to the Spider-Man universe!" What a bad example if one wants to get someone excited for something. We just HAD a great big "In Name Only" TMNT adaptation in "Rise". Can we stick to coloring within the damn lines for once, please? Can we get back to some semblance of "TMNT As We Know Them", or is everything from now on gonna be a Brand New Take?

Unless one just means the overly-saccharine tone and "sassy teen" dialog of the "Homecoming" movie, in which case... I'm still not a fan. I personally found everything about that movie obnoxious, rather than endearing as most seem to. I still haven't seen all of it. It is so, so not my thing. When people compare other things to that, I generally know I'm not gonna have a good time.

Old 08-09-2020, 07:25 PM   #378
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I just wish the first look at the designs weren't probably many, many months away. Not fond of the intended "teen" focus angle, but hard to even guess with this thing without knowing if they're going with cartoony designs or something more realistic.

I'm hoping for Injustice 2... expecting 2012/87 crossover.

After what we've seen produced in the past several years, this is frightening. lol

Last edited by IndigoErth; 08-09-2020 at 07:31 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:30 PM   #379
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I just wish the first look at the designs weren't probably many, many months away. Not fond of the intended "teen" focus angle, but hard to even guess with this thing without knowing if they're going with cartoony designs or something more realistic.

Injustice tmnt were so dope.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:32 PM   #380
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post

After what we've seen produced in the past several years, this is frightening. lol
If we get first look at the designs for Seth Rogen TMNT. It will probably be from places like Toy Fair with those leaks.