The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-26-2022, 12:36 PM   #841
Leo656
The Franchise

Seven people care.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:51 PM   #842
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Seven people care.
Seven wise people.

A minority ain't necessarily wrong.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:09 PM   #843
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't care about Fortnite He-Man. #notmymotu

I have no emotional investment in it at all. But I can't help but notice going by the numbers that nobody else does either.

Also worth mentioning: I was at Wal-Mart yesterday and they were JAMMED with those stupid-looking toys. I guess nobody wants those, either.

Don't care about the show itself. My concern is that it's failure might kill the brand for good, like how NA helped do. I mean I know NA has fans and it's not as bad in a vacuum as many people say it was. But it DID pretty much put the final nail in the coffin for the franchise when it tanked, to say otherwise simply isn't true.

For better or worse, I'm sure it's happening again. Like NA, this reboot is ostensibly for "a brand new audience" that's supposed to "carry the brand going forward". And just like NA, it failed to do that, utterly. So they failed to please old-school fans with "Revelation", and they failed to hook the new kids with the CGI reboot. That means MOTU is going back on the shelf, possibly for good this time, as soon as the Origins line runs out of gas.

That's a shame. But, these things happen. I'm quite certain there simply is no way to make MOTU "hip" in the modern era. It was very much a product of its time and that time has long since passed.

Last edited by Leo656; 01-26-2022 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 05:17 PM   #844
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I don't care about Fortnite He-Man. #notmymotu

I have no emotional investment in it at all. But I can't help but notice going by the numbers that nobody else does either.

Also worth mentioning: I was at Wal-Mart yesterday and they were JAMMED with those stupid-looking toys. I guess nobody wants those, either.

Don't care about the show itself. My concern is that it's failure might kill the brand for good, like how NA helped do. I mean I know NA has fans and it's not as bad in a vacuum as many people say it was. But it DID pretty much put the final nail in the coffin for the franchise when it tanked, to say otherwise simply isn't true.

For better or worse, I'm sure it's happening again. Like NA, this reboot is ostensibly for "a brand new audience" that's supposed to "carry the brand going forward". And just like NA, it failed to do that, utterly. So they failed to please old-school fans with "Revelation", and they failed to hook the new kids with the CGI reboot. That means MOTU is going back on the shelf, possibly for good this time, as soon as the Origins line runs out of gas.

That's a shame. But, these things happen. I'm quite certain there simply is no way to make MOTU "hip" in the modern era. It was very much a product of its time and that time has long since passed.
IDK... that Skeletor one is pretty awesome looking.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 05:52 PM   #845
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Season two of the superior CGI cartoon drops March 3rd

https://twitter.com/MastersOfficial/...83522373939200
Eff yeah. I liked this one.
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:59 PM   #846
Galactus
Foot Elite

I don't think it's fair to say that New Adventures of He-Man killed the brand off in the 80s. Masters of the Universe was pretty much dead by the time the show launched anyway. Even something genuinely good that felt more like He-Man would likely have failed. Although I have to say I do like New Adventures.

It's like saying that Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation killed TMNT when it just failed to revive something that mostly already dead. It didn't stop it from having a successful revival a few years later with the 4kids show. We know from people who worked on MOTU's equivalent (Mike Young Productions show) that kids they tested back then struggled with barbarians. I suspect that's still the case since the new show seems to emphasise the armor and tech and play down the loin cloths. I don't follow these things closely enough to know if it's successful but one day I suspect barbarians will become big in pop culture again and whoever owns the brand better be quick off the mark.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 04:59 AM   #847
ZariusTwo
Overlord

On the Revelation renewal front, Kevin Smith in his recent livestream says he hasn't heard about back about it

Oh, and Protiennerd of He-Man.org (our insider on the CG MOTU series) has a spoiler for episode one of season two

Spoiler:
Castle Grayskull crash lands on Avion and Adam and company meet Stratos and get into trouble with him
Old 01-28-2022, 08:19 AM   #848
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
I don't think it's fair to say that New Adventures of He-Man killed the brand off in the 80s. Masters of the Universe was pretty much dead by the time the show launched anyway. Even something genuinely good that felt more like He-Man would likely have failed. Although I have to say I do like New Adventures.

It's like saying that Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation killed TMNT when it just failed to revive something that mostly already dead. It didn't stop it from having a successful revival a few years later with the 4kids show. We know from people who worked on MOTU's equivalent (Mike Young Productions show) that kids they tested back then struggled with barbarians. I suspect that's still the case since the new show seems to emphasise the armor and tech and play down the loin cloths. I don't follow these things closely enough to know if it's successful but one day I suspect barbarians will become big in pop culture again and whoever owns the brand better be quick off the mark.
I love the poignancy of this post recognizing the directionality of things. I agree completely.

As for the MOTU merchandising, I see a lot of Revelations inventory sitting on shelves. Origins seems like it's still selling though, although I guess there is some concern about the upcoming wave with Anti-Eternia He-Man and Sun-Man. I guess websites pulled the pre-order listings from their sites or something like that.

I haven't done anything yet with my Origins figures, but I'm piling up a nice collection and I want the line to continue. Those things are just mindless fun.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:15 AM   #850
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I mean.... it looks like a lot of fun. Whack-out designs and all, but a He-Man that is take-charge and isn't chastised by women every two minutes? In 2022? I'll take it.

Even when it's 'WE have the power' it's clear He-Man is the main man. The parts of them powering him up reminds me when everyone sends Goku their ki.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:43 PM   #851
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I mean.... it looks like a lot of fun. Whack-out designs and all, but a He-Man that is take-charge and isn't chastised by women every two minutes? In 2022? I'll take it.

Even when it's 'WE have the power' it's clear He-Man is the main man. The parts of them powering him up reminds me when everyone sends Goku their ki.
I enjoyed the first season, I dont anticipate I wont enjoy the second unless they deviate from how they were doing things.
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 01:26 PM   #852
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Today was Mattel's analyst presentation.

While there was mention of the movie beginning production this summer, there was no mention of further renewals for Revelation or the CG show beyond their current episode orders
Old 02-18-2022, 03:25 PM   #853
CyberCubed
Overlord

You know this must be the first time in history where "internet outrage" really did kill a show. Usually shows go on regardless of what adults think on the internet, or end early because they were genuinely bad.

The He-man show had a 10 episode run and was shaping up to be something interesting, but the fans killed it before it even debuted.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:15 PM   #854
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
You know this must be the first time in history where "internet outrage" really did kill a show. Usually shows go on regardless of what adults think on the internet, or end early because they were genuinely bad.

The He-man show had a 10 episode run and was shaping up to be something interesting, but the fans killed it before it even debuted.
Nah, people just don't care about He-Man, neither the kid oriented one or the adult oriented one. It's just a hard sell, there's a reason the only successful show has been the original 80s show, it's just a product of its time, I mean he looks ridiculous and super gay, a big muscley guy wearing a loincloth? No kid finds that appealing.

Netflix is also not a great place for cartoons, in general most get cancelled after 1 or 2 seasons, apparently the reason is "new" shows get subscribers, but more seasons of said shows don't get new subscribers so unless it's a huge hit, it won't get a second season and unless the second season is a huge hit then it won't get more. The few cartoons with more than 2 seasons like say Voltron and She-Ra had full series ordered before the first season even aired.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 05:03 AM   #855
ZariusTwo
Overlord

New five minute clip

Ram M'am is starting to annoy me with how much of a b*tch she's become to Adam.
Old 02-27-2022, 06:40 AM   #856
Leo656
The Franchise

I care zero about the CGI show, but it's pretty annoying how people on the He-Man forum are delusionally insisting that Netflix is gonna announce the follow-up to "Revelation" "Any day now!" when it's pretty f*cking obvious it didn't get enough viewers to be a success.

Like, in today's climate, we'd have heard. Whenever ANYTHING becomes even the tiniest bit successful, people throw a parade and announce a follow-up within a week. MOTU:R dropped its first half in JULY, the second half in November. The numbers were ABYSMAL for the second half compared to the first half, meaning either people didn't care enough about it OR hated the first half so much they ignored the second half.

Either way, three whole months later, we would have heard SOMETHING if they had any intention of doing a follow-up. "Revelation" took years to make. If they were gonna do a follow-up, it would need to be in production already Right Now for it to come out in anything resembling a timely fashion before people completely start ignoring the brand again (which is just around the corner). If they make an announcement in 2023 for a 2025 release... who the f*ck do they think is still gonna care?

It's not happening. I liked the show, I would like to see more, but facts are facts, and the facts are it didn't do the numbers Netflix wanted, and it cost a f*cking fortune to make. It's Snyder's DCEU all over again: A small and super-passionate fanbase only goes so far if 1. Most mainstream people hate your product, and 2. Your product doesn't make enough money to justify itself. Doesn't even matter if the product is good, it only matters if it was a mainstream success.

The CGI show isn't gonna get renewed past its initial order either, most likely, since it appears most people still don't even know it exists. Yet another '80s property doing a great job in its "Bold New Reboot For a NEW Generation of fans!" ...Who completely couldn't care any less than they do about toys their Dads played with 30+ f*cking years ago.

"Fans" in general are f*cking delusional, man. Drives me up a f*cking wall.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:53 AM   #857
IMJ
Emperor

As long as they keep pumping out Origins figures, I'm in for a piece of the MOTU U.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 01:24 PM   #858
Leo656
The Franchise

Someone on the forum sincerely posited that there's been no announcement about a follow-up to "Revelation" because "They don't want to take away from the popularity of the CGI show."

The show ten people have watched and nobody else knows exists, with those ugly "Fortnite He-Man" toys nobody buys. The "popularity" of THAT show needs to be "protected".

More people have watched my YouTube channel than have any awareness of the CGI show's existence. And I am f*cking Nobody.

LORD have mercy, if there's one thing I can not STAND it's a f*cking optimist. Optimists come up with the most delusional f*cking sh*t, I can't stand it.

Points for imagination, I guess. Pretty sure they're dead f*cking wrong, though.

Old 02-27-2022, 01:45 PM   #859
joe-eyeball
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
As long as they keep pumping out Origins figures, I'm in for a piece of the MOTU U.
I fear this line is running out of steam! I only say that because since it started every wave would get scooped up instantly with the exception of the basic He-man and Skeletor and it could be difficult to find certain figures at retail. Now the latest wave of figures plus the deluxe figs and Stridor are warming the pegs and have been all over my area for the last month and a half. Hope I’m wrong but I guess we’ll see.

I’m a little disappointed with the choices being made on figures that are being produced. I mean don’t we need characters like Clawful, Mossman, and the Snake Men before Anti-Eternian He-man and Sun Man? Also I want Snake Mountain!

Last edited by joe-eyeball; 02-27-2022 at 02:16 PM.
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 02:46 PM   #860
Leo656
The Franchise

Thing is, they're trying to save as much money on possible on tooling. So characters like Clawful and especially the Snake Men with unique parts that can't be re-used for other characters are definitely of lesser priority for Mattel. Like each of the Snake Men doesn't only need a new head, they need an entirely unique body, body parts, AND action gimmick. That's a lot of expensive work for Mattel considering they can't just re-use the parts they used to make Tongue Lashor or King Hiss on... well, anyone.

The hope is that they'll get there eventually. I mean a few guys have snuck in there with a lot of unique parts but they are definitely trying to minimize that as much as possible. They're kind of operating under the idea of, "We'll sell a ton of (guy who has a lot of parts re-use) NOW and then use that money to tool (some mostly-unique figure) later on." Hopefully they'll get the chance.

Moss Man, in particular, has supposedly been a HUGE issue because of the flocking, and they don't want to make a non-flocked Moss Man since it wouldn't be true to the original. BUT it's a hassle and an expense they don't need. So they keep kind of being coy about If/When we'll get Moss Man. Most speculate that he'll have to be one of the $25 "Deluxe" Origins figures to justify the expense. They're aware how many people want the character, but in the end it's dollars and cents. That's why the "default" Panthor wasn't flocked and the flocked one was a specialty item.

Snake Mountain would be fantastic, but I'd expect it to be more streamlined in a few ways from the original. Definitely no microphone (although I think most people can live with that). But again, assuming they keep the same gimmick of "Essentially the same as the original, but with lots of little upgrades) that the entire line, and Castle Grayskull in particular was made under, the issue with Snake Mountain is cost effectiveness. There are a LOT of moving parts, small parts and other gimmicks to Snake Mountain, quite a few more than Grayskull. That complicates things.

Could be they're having a problem finding a way to do it so they can sell it for under $100 retail. Most people think that Mattel under-priced Grayskull, for example, and probably regret doing so but most likely didn't have any choice since not a single Wal-Mart shopper is ever gonna spend over $100 for a playset. Finding a way to do Snake Mountain in a way where they won't lose money on it is probably tricky.

I've heard that Mattel definitely wants to do it "eventually" though, so hopefully they'll figure it out.