The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 08-05-2022, 09:54 AM   #561
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

Ok wow, that movie was amazing.

Everything about it was.

Animation was top notch, the music and all the characters.

I loved them showing Donnie amazed that he was crying for the first time.

Leo’s character was top notch.

The voice acting was astounding.

A+++++++
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:40 AM   #562
neatoman
Emperor

Alright I saw it. It's more or less what I expected, it definitely maintains Rise's "difference for the sake of difference" mentality that turns people off, hence two two versions of Casey in the same series and giant Utroms with an organic Technodrome, but not that much in terms of objective flaws. The biggest problem I would say are that the Krang's power to zombiefy people and their general limits seems to be all over the place, makes you question a lot of what they do and when they get exoskeletons it seems like they're only doing that because it's expected to see Utroms have them, even though they seem more than powerful enough without them here. Beyond that though, I like the animation and the core plot seems fine on paper. Not sure why it just ignores that Leo was appointed leader at the end of the show, seems to generally avoid strict continuity with the show to the point of barely any characters established in the show appearing despite the big city wide climax.

I'm not really seeing this movie being causing Nickelodeon to revive the show, even if it is a success at... Whatever it is streaming services substitute ratings and box office numbers for in order to measure financial success, Paramount is already working on at least one unrelated theatrical movie that seems like it's intended to start another animated TMNT franchise as well as a bunch of pseudo-spin-off movies in Paramount+, it makes it seems as if Paramount are already planning on making a different TMNT show. That coupled with the fact that the show ended almost two years ago on the date and Nickelodeon (somewhat frustratingly) chose to let video game developers use the Fred Wolf Turtles as a template instead of anything they made or own, not to mention how this movie was obviously delayed despite the fact that it must have been finished quite a while ago, seems to imply that they really have no interest at all in this particular version anymore.

If it were to continue though... I think we saw Bishop and the EPF logo in this movie, I also believe the main Krang was meant to be Ch'Rell because of how Shredder like his exoskeleton was (even though he's just called "Krang 1" in the credits), and of course we have future boy Casey trapped in the past. If I had to guess about a plan for the future, I would say it involves time travel and space. But... Rise's tendency to want to be different for the sake of being different would probably lead to Triceratons that puke lava and shoot lighting out of their horns, not sure I'd want that.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:31 PM   #563
neatoman
Emperor

... I noticed there is barely any discussion about this TMNT movie... Which just came out... On a TMNT forum... That's a bit awkward...
Hahahaha!
Old 08-05-2022, 03:41 PM   #564
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I found that strange too, but I guess it is what it is. I'll watch it soon, looks exciting.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:58 PM   #565
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
... I noticed there is barely any discussion about this TMNT movie... Which just came out... On a TMNT forum... That's a bit awkward...
Wouldn't be the first TMNT movie I've never seen and have no intentions of seeing.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:13 PM   #566
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

I'll be honest, I watched it because this thread reminded me that it was available.

Here's my findings:

- Amazing animation, no complaints there.
- Surprisingly dark.
- VERY clear that the writers KNOW the source material, because the face off of Leo against Raph, was very much in line with the face off shown in the IDW series "City fall" story line.

- Speaking of Raphael, hard to believe this is the same Raph who jeopardized missions in favor of putting clips of pigeons eating pizza online. He had so much character development going. (Which sadly I can't say about Leo and Donnie, who remained the obnoxious egomaniac and the entitled jerk respectively.)

So any complaints?

Yeah, unfortunately there are some. And I can sum it up in three words.
UNRESOLVED
PLOT
LINES

- What happened to future Leo with him having Raphael's right arm?
- What was that mutagen April used to damage the female Kraang?
- What is the link between the Kraang and the Foot Clan?
- Future Donnie and Raph were never seen or discussed.
- Same deal with April, what was "Commander O'Neil" like?

It's a shame, the concept here is a good one, but the whole thing was rushed, it might have been better if they had made it a three parter, fleshing out the story.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:41 PM   #567
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
Yeah, unfortunately there are some. And I can sum it up in three words.
UNRESOLVED
PLOT
LINES

- What happened to future Leo with him having Raphael's right arm?
- What was that mutagen April used to damage the female Kraang?
- What is the link between the Kraang and the Foot Clan?
- Future Donnie and Raph were never seen or discussed.
- Same deal with April, what was "Commander O'Neil" like?
Are you serious? Most of this is either irrelevant or explained in the movie/show. I'll go over it right away:
  • A curiosity to be sure but seems to be a "the future is weird" thing. To me it looked robotic, so I'm assuming it's a prosthetic arm initially meant for Raph but Leo ended up using it. Why he got one made for Raph instead of himself is a mystery to be sure, but not one relevant to the plot.
  • It's an experimental herbicide, April literally explains what it is in the first 15 minutes of the movie.
  • That one is in the show, the Krang gifted the Shredder Armor to Saki, for the purpose of serving their goals, and Saki took control of the Foot Clan when corrupted by it. Not a big leap to make, the main Krang's exoskeleton is even very similar to the Shredder Armor.
  • Future Donnie was briefly discussed and it's said they both died. Still, not that relevant.
  • Not relevant to the plot either, she presumably dies before Casey is sent back.
I'll grant you that the things I dismissed as irrelevant might have been interesting to expand upon, they just aren't necessary to understand the plot. There really isn't anything important here that wasn't established in the movie itself or the show.
Hahahaha!
Old 08-05-2022, 10:29 PM   #568
terrorblade
Foot Soldier

I think April's corpse was shown along with Big Mama.

terrorblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 12:59 AM   #569
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Its a movie based on failed experimental series, which most people here didn't like, released on a service. Naturally there won't be hype about it.

I take personal pleasure, that Cowabunga Collection and Shredders' Revenge got more attention that that thing.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:01 AM   #570
TMNachoT
Stone Warrior

Watched yesterday, really cool!!
TMNachoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:54 AM   #571
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Best movie since the original. Absolute visual fest for the eyes and heartwarming story about family and brotherhood.

My ranking:
1. TMNT 1990
2. Rise of the TMNT: The Movie
3. Batman vs TMNT
4. Turtles Forever
5. TMNT 3: Turtles in Time
6. TMNT 2007
7. TMNT 2014
8. TMNT Out of the Shadows
9. TMNT 2: Secret of the Ooze

Quote:
People don’t really talk on forums, it’s an absolute banger on twitter and trending for days. People are loving it.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:15 AM   #572
Vicky82
Emperor

Saw it yesterday, really enjoyed it. The animation and music score was amazing.

I was surprised on how much blood was shown.

Spoiler:

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:36 AM   #573
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

It was okay. Somewhat better after the 25 min mark. First 25 (sans opening future part) were annoying as hell and mostly because of Leo. Yes, I get it, trying to build contrast for "character development," but too "try hard" with it and still hate that arrogant and obnoxious behavior has to be the "before" for him.

If the series would have been a bit more tonally similar to the later half of the movie then it might have lasted a little longer. Visually it's almost headache inducing though with it's idea of trying to make sure it looks epic with all the flashing imagery and neon coloration, plus the usual choppy and otherwise odd animation much of the time and overuse of smears. I know a lot of people's little neurons are excited by that sort of stuff, but mine don't tend to buy into the Lisa Frank-like visual stimulation all that much these days and feel like shows (or in this case movie) that use it are trying too hard to buy likes based on that alone.

Shame that the show's own Casey didn't get to be a part of it, but at least they stopped ignoring the obvious and clarified the connection in the end.

Why did these Krang even need robot suits if they can get around and attack other characters just fine without... (And wtf with that squared up shape.)

Was hoping future Leo was actually going to be involved in this though and help school his younger self. What does his own regained powers even do? Mikey seemed to have become the portal guy. And old Mikey has hair. Okay then.

But... ultimate opinion... better than the series, but still just okay. The things that bugged me about the series are naturally still present, so hardly fantastic. But an acceptable send off for it and hope the Rise fans at least get a better conclusion with it.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:04 AM   #574
Shark_Blade
Emperor

It’s rated 3.7/5 on letterboxd (it’s ranked the highest of all the TMNT movies there), people are liking it very much. https://boxd.it/sKJc
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:48 AM   #575
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
It’s rated 3.7/5 on letterboxd (it’s ranked the highest of all the TMNT movies there), people are liking it very much. https://boxd.it/sKJc
And it's the second highest rated TMNT on RT after the Batman crossover.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/searc...inja%20turtles
And yes, it does rank above the 1990 movie on RT by quite a wide margin.
Hahahaha!
Old 08-06-2022, 12:00 PM   #576
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Things like that "Review by Johnny Alvarez" are why I can't take a lot of fans of Rise seriously. It wasn't even out and he acts like he's worshiping a cult leader.

We'll see what ratings say later when more people have checked it out. I don't trust ratings this soon not to be rather lopsided. Not to be all negative Nancy, but the people who actually saw it and ran to rate it this soon out of the gate are probably largely those Rise fans who were chomping at the bit and ran to watch it ASAP. Which is understandable this early, but it will get a largely biased rating then as it doesn't yet include many who have only mild interest or will only watch it eventually when they're bored.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 01:48 PM   #577
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
And it's the second highest rated TMNT on RT after the Batman crossover.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/searc...inja%20turtles
And yes, it does rank above the 1990 movie on RT by quite a wide margin.
Rise movie is higher rated than the 1990 classic. WTF is wrong with RT
Old 08-06-2022, 02:01 PM   #578
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Rise movie is higher rated than the 1990 classic. WTF is wrong with RT
They're rotten to the core
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 02:03 PM   #579
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Like the 2016 movie this movie is a failure! Without me it cant be good. These Utrosm are more powerful than the others but only i can kill the turtles! Now wait for the next series and movies where will fight and kill them!
Old 08-06-2022, 02:13 PM   #580
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

I quite enjoyed the movie, the animation was amazing and I liked the tone shift of the later half, some of the scenes reminded me a lot of Akira and Evangelion at times,

Last edited by NeonTurtledude; 08-06-2022 at 02:18 PM.
NeonTurtledude is offline   Reply With Quote