The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Music

Notices

Old 12-14-2022, 05:57 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Why do people take different music opinions so personally?

You could say that goes for any medium and you'd be right to some degree. But music, for some reason, seems the one that gets people the most sensitive over different opinions and tastes. If you tell someone you don't like their favourite genre or artists there's a high chance they'll get angry at you.

I've seen and heard many nasty arguments about music between people in my life. For some reason, liking a genre like metal or hip-hop for a lot of people isn't simply just liking artists that fall under such genres but a lifestyle and some sort of personal identity. Thus, if you insult the genres you insult them as well.

Thoughts?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 10:10 PM   #2
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Personally, I think that it's outrageous for internet fights to break out over music genres, but throughout history, fights have broke out for way less than music.

Do I feel that any music genre is a part of me? No - I listen to what I like. If I don't like a certain genre, that's my preference: it is not an attack on an individual. If anyone feels that way, then perhaps self insecurity might play a part in the 'offense'.

Do I feel that music can influence it's listeners? To some degree, yes.

Most preferences in anything tend to change as we get older, and this can include music as well.

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote