The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 10-28-2021, 08:42 PM   #81
mikey0
Foot Elite

New photos of the Walmart Exclusive BST AXN 5” Foot Soldier Collectible Figures 4-Pack are up - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Teenage-M...ures/570736106

Last edited by mikey0; 10-28-2021 at 09:43 PM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:31 AM   #82
tmntman
Mad Scientist

I found the Mirage style, Battle Damaged four pack at Walmart last night. $75, just as listed on their web site. But at least it saves on shipping and worrying about damage.

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 12:03 PM   #83
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntman View Post
I found the Mirage style, Battle Damaged four pack at Walmart last night. $75, just as listed on their web site. But at least it saves on shipping and worrying about damage.
Interested in what you have to say about the sculpts, the plastic, the articulation, etc. Don't care about this variant, but with correct paint they'd be the ones I pre-ordered.

Are they worth diving into a new line for? Potential to uproot NECA as "the" fred wolf Turtles?

Can you put a few pix up against other lines showing the scale?

Thanks man
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 12:52 PM   #84
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Interested in what you have to say about the sculpts, the plastic, the articulation, etc. Don't care about this variant, but with correct paint they'd be the ones I pre-ordered.

Are they worth diving into a new line for? Potential to uproot NECA as "the" fred wolf Turtles?

Can you put a few pix up against other lines showing the scale?

Thanks man
I won't get a chance to open them until this weekend. But I'll try to post photos then.

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:47 PM   #85
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntman View Post
I won't get a chance to open them until this weekend. But I'll try to post photos then.
Awesome! Lookin' forward to it!
Old 11-20-2021, 09:11 PM   #86
mikey0
Foot Elite

OOTP shots of the Black and White Battle Damaged Turtles: https://mobile.twitter.com/TheReigne...08416630423553
Old 12-11-2021, 09:29 AM   #88
mikey0
Foot Elite

In-package shots of Shredder and the Foot Soldier : https://www.instagram.com/aic_podcas...dium=copy_link
Old 12-31-2021, 09:43 PM   #89
leolao
Random Punk

Casey Jones out of the package from Loyal Subjects Instagram

Screenshot 2021-12-31 203552.jpg
leolao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:26 PM   #90
mikey0
Foot Elite

The Turtles versus The Shredder and a Foot Soldier: https://www.instagram.com/p/CYSDncSP39Y/?hl=en
Old 01-04-2022, 09:15 AM   #91
IMJ
Emperor

Many of the instagram guys are posting that these "aren't quality" and that they are more like toys for toddlers than action figures.

My only issue with those criticisms is that they flooded out from an enthusiastic Toy Galaxy post, and the responses felt more like an orchestrated attack on the BST AXN line than authentic.

I'm still pretty excited about this line.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:33 AM   #92
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Many of the instagram guys are posting that these "aren't quality" and that they are more like toys for toddlers than action figures.

My only issue with those criticisms is that they flooded out from an enthusiastic Toy Galaxy post, and the responses felt more like an orchestrated attack on the BST AXN line than authentic.

I'm still pretty excited about this line.
They are solid figures and the best bang for your buck. I think some folks are not too keen on the aesthetic for the 4 turtle bros (they remind me of the cross-over with the MMPR) but Casey looks amazing (great to see the alternate head sculpt...from 2K3?) and Shredder is somewhat reminiscent of the one that Bandai failed to deliver upon. I kind of hope that reviewers like Mad Hatter Review give them a second look. I personally like the look of the 4 turtles with the bright green deco, because most of the new Turtle merchandise are beginning to look too same-y.

Another wonderful thing about the line is that despite the fixed price point, the figures will not necessarily be the same height. So Shredder will be larger than the turtles.

Last edited by Dask; 01-04-2022 at 11:43 AM.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 12:20 PM   #93
LincolnHawk
Mad Scientist

meh...I think they look like a55, and I'm with the group that says they look like they should be sold at dollar tree
Old 01-04-2022, 01:22 PM   #94
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnHawk View Post
meh...I think they look like a55, and I'm with the group that says they look like they should be sold at dollar tree
I admit that I've yet to see them up close, but given the marketing material, and the previous BST AXN stuff that really seems like a ridiculous observation. The Turtles might have "promo green"' but they are modeled after an animated series. The only real difference is that NECA uses solid line highlights to convey "animated". Absent of that hardly makes something look like a dollar store item.

I admit I could change my mind when I have these in-hand, but that honestly seems like an "assault criticism" than an observation. Sometimes I wouldn't doubt that NECA has viral marketing employed to put commentary like that out to the market.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:59 PM   #95
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

I don't work for NECA. In fact I get quite upset at NECA from time to time.

These look terrible and like they should be sold at a dollar tree. Actual pictures are out now. Still terrible. From a distance and up close.

I have the BST AXN Napoleon Dynamite. Underwhelming AF.

I mean all one need do is look at them, end of story. Even if the joints aren't loose, the color isn't off, whatever else -- they just simply look awful. If the turtles look awful, you lost. Doesn't matter how great Casey looks.

Besides, we have enough TMNT crap from the past decade. We should be getting rid of derpy stuff, not buying more.

You make a lot of sense on many topics around here my friend, but I'm afraid I don't see any sense-making on this one... It actually sounds a little like you are the one with the hidden agenda here: to cheerlead for these with the hope that they somehow magically uproot NECA.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 04:22 PM   #96
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
I don't work for NECA. In fact I get quite upset at NECA from time to time.

These look terrible and like they should be sold at a dollar tree. Actual pictures are out now. Still terrible. From a distance and up close.

I have the BST AXN Napoleon Dynamite. Underwhelming AF.

I mean all one need do is look at them, end of story. Even if the joints aren't loose, the color isn't off, whatever else -- they just simply look awful. If the turtles look awful, you lost. Doesn't matter how great Casey looks.

Besides, we have enough TMNT crap from the past decade. We should be getting rid of derpy stuff, not buying more.

You make a lot of sense on many topics around here my friend, but I'm afraid I don't see any sense-making on this one... It actually sounds a little like you are the one with the hidden agenda here: to cheerlead for these with the hope that they somehow magically uproot NECA.
Post a couple of the most "damning" pics or links to pix here for me?
That way I can at least see what all the fuss is about. I've some some of the promo shots and I just don't see it. Maybe I'm not seeing what you are....
Old 01-04-2022, 04:44 PM   #97
IMJ
Emperor

I just check out this guy's video.

The Loyal Subjects - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - BST AXN 5" Action Figures Unboxing & Review

If I had to guess most of the complaints are about the simple paint apps and the neon green promo colors. I can't speak to the feel of the articulation without having them in-hand though.

It is true though - I want this line to be awesome.

Last edited by IMJ; 01-04-2022 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:21 PM   #98
Dask
Mad Scientist

They're basically using "tweaked sculpts" of the Figuarts line and no one complained then. Of course, there's a difference in scale which satisfies the 5 inch market here. Napolean Dynamite is perhaps an egregious example of the Loyal Subjects brand. Beetle Juice is another one that I'm very much looking forward to. The deco is a little funky but not a deal breaker by any means.

To be honest, I actually prefer these to NECA's SDCC and the previous Style Guide releases. However, the Disguise Turtles are unbeatable. Shredder, Bebop and Casey are all looking great. I would not be surprised if they make a more toon accurate April than what's currently out in the market by NECA and Super7.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 07:22 PM   #99
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

I don't know why the line from many is that these are "basically figuarts". They look nothing like the figuarts, which I have. These are just oddly proportioned, exaggeratedly so, in all ways. I already said it has nothing to do with the colors. I mean...I am not going to provide a link to a pic because they clearly are ill proportioned and derpy looking in literally every picture available out there (those NECKS man)... if you can't see that then I guess we occupy different spatial processing realities forreal... and then there's the matter of the joint quality and plastic quality which based on my Napoleon Dynamite experience y'all will be yelling the opposite of DY-NO-MITE once you find out for yourselves...

I do want the Beetlejuice though because we have almost no options for sculpts like that of the toon save for vintage. But we have got a bazillion other options for Turtles these days and I still contend that if we all just calmed down for a hot minute we'd realize that all we need to be materially happy are the OG vintage anyway.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:23 PM   #100
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

If I can put in my own two cents... I wouldn't go as far as saying these should be sold for $1, that's a bit hyperbolic. However, I do think $20 is way above the price point that these deserve, even taking into account how ridiculous toy prices have gotten nowadays.

Are these the worst TMNT toys ever? No, that honor goes to the modern Playmates line of figures (whether it's giving a sloppy variant paintjob to '88 Shredder and calling it a "Mirage version", or... really, any figure from the Rise line and a fair chunk of the Nicktoon line). But I guess that's just it... these don't look like collector's figures. They look like figures for children. As such, they should be priced accordingly.

This is my opinion and it's based PURELY on aesthetics. If people wanna buy these and are happy with their purchases, all the more power to them. But they definitely don't cut it for me. Especially with a complete lack of scale between the figures (where every figure is 5 inches regardless of how they scale with other characters).
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote