The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Frozen

Just came back from taking my nephew to see it.

Thought it was really good! If anyones on the fence about it, I'd say check it out, if that matters.

I'm not sure what it is about these kinda movies though... Be it this, Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph... I always feel like the first two thirds are really solid then the last act just kinda... whats the word... it's still good, but just kind of falls flat compared to the first parts.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:38 AM   #2
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

haven't seen it yet, but by the trailers it looks like a fun movie. But I'm not too fond of Olaf
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:04 AM   #3
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

He was the part I was dreading as well. Thankfully his part is surprisingly minimal. And he wasn't as annoying as I feared. (Still kinda sticks out as the obvious comedic relief" character though)
Old 11-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #4
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

I plan to go see this sometime this weekend.

Regarding Olaf, I've always been indifferent towards him. Didn't laugh at anything he did in the teaser trailer but didn't want to write him off as a bad comic relief just yet. But since most reviews I've read state he's one of the film's strongest points, I immediately thought of Ray from Princess and the Frog. A comic relief character no one thought they'd like, but actually was given a great amount of heart and was more memorable than any funny thing he did.

I have been weary of this film mostly because it has been kept under wraps almost all year and of the repeated commercial formula they did with Tangled by advertising it as anything but what it truly was about. But what kept me interested was the fact it was going to be about two sisters (which I can sorta see why they didn't go with the guy and girl relationship like in the original tale) and that Elsa was really shaping up to be one Disney's fewer sympathetic antagonists (though calling her one is kind of a stretch, now that I think about it).

Last edited by DarkLightDragon; 11-28-2013 at 06:57 AM.
DarkLightDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLightDragon View Post
Regarding Olaf, I've always been indifferent towards him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
But I'm not too fond of Olaf

I had to.
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
haven't seen it yet, but by the trailers it looks like a fun movie. But I'm not too fond of Olaf
I saw it Olaf was just...adorable XD

I was afraid he'd be annoying and he wasn't, at least not to me.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

I saw it, and it's now one of my favorite Disney movies. I don't think I like it QUITE as much as Wreck-It Ralph or Tangled...but then again, I've only seen it once. I actually liked Olaf, thought he was funny.

LET IT GO, LET IT GO! CAN'T HOLD IT BACK ANYMOOOORE!
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I just saw it with my mom, sis, and her two stepsons. It was a great movie, and I loved Olaf the best. He's what made the movie. Well, him and Sven. I thought it was awesome that in the end:

Spoiler:
What saved Anna was Elsa feeling remorse for what she did to her sister instead of the cliche true love's kiss plot I thought the movie was heading it. It was a welcome change, and just very awesome.

Definitely an awesome movie. You should definitely see it if you haven't yet.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I knew I shouldn't believe those lame trailers, I've learned that already with Tangled (which turned out to be superb!). So I got in with little to no expectation. And I was blown away.

I love the plot twists and everything. Only gripe was the climax where:

Spoiler:
Hans' sword shattered after strucking ice-form Anna. She should've been broken into a million tiny pieces. I mean it's the same sword that Hans used to slashed the ice monster's leg in half.

Anyway, despite that one flaw I love it very much. All the songs are uplifting and lovely.

Did I say I love it? 9/10 recommended.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:44 AM   #10
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

^
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure the part of the monster that Hans slashed was made of snow
Old 12-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

^

Spoiler:
It could also just be a result of being 'magically' put to death. She was basically an ice sculpture that wouldn't break or melt because the of the magical part of her curse. That, or maybe because even the sharpest sword can't cut through solid ice.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #12
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

^both valid points
Old 12-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #13
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Spoiler:
I'm gonna go with the 'magical' explanation. If it's only solid ice you can break it if you so much kick it cause Anna's hand is so miniscule. It's not like it's a huge solid cube of ice.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #14
Bossa Nova
Stone Warrior

Saw it. Lovely music, especially listening to Elsa sing, and the animation was so beautiful all around. Some deeper thoughts though:

Spoiler:

I really had hope that this movie was going to surprise me and allow Hans to remain good. I mean, it was pretty obvious what his twist was going to be, but I really liked him! Disney couples have fallen in love over the course of a single song so that aspect wasn't really all that far-fetched, plus I liked the idea of Anna and Kristoff having their little adventure as a total buddy-buddy escapade, because really, that's totally what it felt like. As fun as they were together, I didn't really feel any romantic spark between them and that whole aspect felt extremely forced.

Actually, when I was still holding out for Hans, I honestly thought for a moment that Kristoff and Elsa were going to get together. Both of them mocked Anna for falling in 'love' so easily, and I thought it would make a cute twist if the two of them felt a spark on first sight as well, not to mention he has WAY more in common with Elsa than Anna. Plus, I kinda hoped that old man (the weasel one) was going to pull out some magic of his own and be the true villain. From the very first time we see him we know he's a snake, but he comes off as kind of bumbling and not very threatening. Yet he's the one who seems most adamant to point fingers at Elsa for being a sorceress, and he really came off that he was hiding something much more sinister. When he ordered his henchmen to kill her it seemed like he wasn't simply afraid of her, but actually felt threatened by her power. So it made sense that maybe he also had similar powers to Elsa or something.

Wishful thinking I guess. But I think keeping Hans as good would have been more of a twist at this point

Old 12-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #15
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Spoiler:
Actually, I liked the twist that Hans was bad as it made things more interesting instead of having the cliche true love's kiss we've seen so many times. The fact that he used her seemed more realistic as that's what sometimes happens in real life with relationships, so I loved seeing that. I also loved how the moral of the story was about how love can also be between family and that's what saved Anna instead of a kiss from Kristoff. That was just so awesome.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #16
Bossa Nova
Stone Warrior

Spoiler:
Well what I'm saying is that it was a pretty obvious twist from the start, and at this point having him NOT be bad would have been more surprising! The moment Kristoff came into the picture it was pretty clear Hans had to go in one way or another and that's just disappointing, since again it would have been really different to see a film carried out by a man and a woman who were merely friends and not destined to become lovers.

Plus, even though I wanted Hans to remain good, I still didn't think his kiss would save her. They kept emphasizing that it was an ACT of true love that would save Anna, and to me that sounded like something more than a kiss done out of pure desperation. That way Anna could have still been the hero of her story, but again Hans wouldn't have to have been transformed into a jerk.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #17
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

Just an FYI, there is an extra scene after the credits. Though it's not really plot-related, it's still a funny scene regarding what happened to Marshmellow (the big snowman).
Old 12-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #18
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLightDragon View Post
Just an FYI, there is an extra scene after the credits. Though it's not really plot-related, it's still a funny scene regarding what happened to Marshmellow (the big snowman).
Ah man, really? I knew I should've stayed after the credits. Could you tell us what happened in it?
Old 12-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #19
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
Ah man, really? I knew I should've stayed after the credits. Could you tell us what happened in it?

Sure thing.
Spoiler:
Marshmellow makes it back to the now abandoned ice castle, with his leg fully grown back. He picks up Elsa's crown and puts it on his head. Immediate happiness.

Yeah, like I said, nothing major or big, just an extra, little fun scene.

Last edited by DarkLightDragon; 12-04-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #20
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Oh, man, I wish I'd stayed for that, but we were with my sis and her stepsons, and I knew they had to get home. Still, something to look forward to when they release it on DVD.

Tags
cybercubed is lesbian, frozen sjw edition