The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-04-2016, 02:29 PM   #81
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Thank goodness.

Standalone Guardians sequel, please. I can wait until Avengers 3 for the big team-ups...
Old 06-04-2016, 02:36 PM   #82
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

I'm amazed that people thought James Gunn sharing a picture of him with Mjolnir meant Thor was in GOTG 2. No chance he would spoil something like that.

Of course all the blogs ran with it. Gotta get those hits.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:48 AM   #83
Cropsy
Banned

Sounds awesome and this one is my most anticipated movie of next year.

Hope they also bring back Howard for this one in another cameo as he can star in the third film with Silver Surfer.
Cropsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:56 AM   #84
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Concept art from EW

Old 07-15-2016, 09:47 AM   #85
raph27
Mad Scientist

Awww, look at baby Groot on Drax's shoulder! Soooo cute!
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:56 AM   #86
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Not sold on Mantis' look, but not raising a fuss over it. It's just concept art anyway... I remember the first GotG concept art... radically different.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:10 PM   #87
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

@Ethan_Anderton: Kurt Russell confirmed as Star-Lord's father, named Ego, in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2. #SDCC
Old 07-23-2016, 08:27 PM   #88
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Here's the new Logo
https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/st...27542041710592

Old 07-23-2016, 08:29 PM   #89
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I like it. Also like the new Marvel Studios logo.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:31 PM   #90
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Aaaand Star-Lord's dad in the MCU issssss.... Ego the living planet?! WTF?!?!?!?! Kurt Russell is playing Ego...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...axy-vol-2-2016
Old 07-23-2016, 08:36 PM   #91
drgon78
Mad Scientist

That doesn't make sense unless there version of Ego is not a planet.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:41 PM   #92
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph's Girl View Post
Aaaand Star-Lord's dad in the MCU issssss.... Ego the living planet?! WTF?!?!?!?! Kurt Russell is playing Ego...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...axy-vol-2-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgon78 View Post
That doesn't make sense unless there version of Ego is not a planet.
Yeah, they're changing something up pretty drastically. A planet did not copulate with Quill's mama.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:45 PM   #93
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Gunn said he is playing Ego the Living Planet and that it'll make sense when you see the movie
Old 07-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #94
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Gunn said he is playing Ego the Living Planet and that it'll make sense when you see the movie
Wow. Source?

Okay, Gunn, you've got your work cut out for me... Guardians 1 was my single favorite MCU movie. Make me love Ego the Living Planet.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:52 PM   #95
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Wow. Source?

Okay, Gunn, you've got your work cut out for me... Guardians 1 was my single favorite MCU movie. Make me love Ego the Living Planet.
Gunn's twitter account
Old 07-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #96
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Gunn's twitter account
Could you drop a link for me? Pretty please?
Old 07-23-2016, 09:41 PM   #97
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Could you drop a link for me? Pretty please?
Here you go.
https://www.facebook.com/jgunn/posts...490064721157:0

Quote:
Whoa! So we just got off stage at the San Diego Comicon showing not one, but THREE Guardians clips: 1) A piece from the film featuring Yondu, Rocket, baby Groot, and the Ravagers, 2) A behind-the-scenes featurette of me and the cast working on the forthcoming Guardians attraction at Disneyland, and 3) A special glimpse at a montage of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

I thought I’d share with you guys what we shared with everyone there.

If you don’t want minor spoilers from the film, don’t continue to read. I won’t hold it against you, I swear.

Here are the headlines –

THE RAVAGERS ARE A BIG PART OF VOL. 2

Most were on hand for the SDCC presentation, disrupting the proceedings as Ravagers are prone to do. We learn that they’ve had a somewhat contentious, even mutinous, relationship with Yondu since Vol. 1, due to the fact that Yondu let Peter Quill go without reprisal after not giving them the orb.

The leader in all of these shenanigans is the incredibly-powerful yet incredibly ridiculously-named TASERFACE, played by Chris Sullivan (it’s worth noting that four years ago when I was hired for the first Guardians film, I joked that I was going to make Taserface my villain. I suppose it’s no longer a joke).

Joining Chris in full Ravager regalia, was, of course, Sean Gunn as Kraglin, as well as these new Ravagers, all featured in the film:

Wretch, played by Evan Jones
Half-Nut, played by Jimmy Urine
Brahl, played by Stephen Blackehart
Gef the Ravager, played by Steve Agee
Oblo, played by Joe Fria
Narblik, play by Terence Rosemore

MICHAEL ROOKER SHOWED UP IN FULL YONDU MODE

With a big-ass fin on his head. ‘Nuff said.

NEBULA IS A MAJOR PART OF THE FILM

As Karen Gillan knows – because I told her during my first meeting with her – GotG Vol. 1 was just a glimpse at a character I had major plans for in the future of the Guardians-verse. I did not lie.

ELIZABETH DEBICKI PLAYS AYESHA

Ayesha is the golden High Priestess of a genetically-perfect people called the Sovereign. She’s not a woman to be screwed with – she, and her entire world, are extraordinarily deadly.

WE CAUGHT A FIRST LOOK AT MANTIS

Our look for Mantis is similar to her original look in the comics – she’s the same color as Pom Klementieff, the actress who plays her (i.e not green), and she has antennae. We saw just a tiny little glimpse of her in the Comic-Con footage. More will be coming. She’s been one of my favorite parts of making this film.

YES, SYLVESTER STALLONE IS IN THE FILM

This was an amazing experience for me, considering I ran around in my backyard as a kid pretending I was Johnny Rambo. Working with Sly was one of the high points of shooting Vol. 2 for me.

Who does he play? Well, I can’t reveal that quite yet… but we do see him interacting with Yondu in the teaser.

TWO SONGS PLAYED IN THE FOOTAGE

“Come a Little Bit Closer,” by Jay and the Americans, played during the clip where Yondu faces off against some of the Ravagers.

“The Chain,” by Fleetwood Mac was the song used in the montage.

Am I saying these songs are part of Awesome Mix Vol. 2? Not necessarily. But they are great tunes…

A NEW DISNEYLAND GOTG ATTRACTION IS COMING

I’m a huge Disneyland fan and the Tower of Terror is my second favorite attraction there (Space Mountain is number one). So when the folks approached me, asking me to be involved with a new Guardians attraction, I was apprehensive.

But then the Walt Disney Imagineering folks showed me what they had in mind and MY MIND WAS COMPLETELY BLOWN. It was awesome (see the attached concept art for a very small taste). Exhilarating and novel and interactive. I can’t be more pleased to have partnered up with Walt Disney Imagineering in this production, helping to direct and shape the experience so that it has all the heart and fun and humor Guardians movies do.

Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, and I, along with a few other members of the Guardians cast, put our full effort into making it as great as we knew it could be. We shot most of it while we were in Atlanta shooting Vol. 2, and I can’t wait for you guys to see it and experience it firsthand the next time you visit the park.

WE DISCLOSED THE IDENTITY OF PETER QUILL’S FATHER

This is the biggie, I guess. And, yes, as many people guessed, or assumed, Kurt Russell is playing Peter Quill’s father. And Peter Quill’s father is (as almost no one has guessed)…

EGO.

Known in the comics as Ego the Living Planet.

Yeah, his dad is a planet. Sort of. It will all be explained in the film..

But to me, this is the absolute center of Vol. 2, and one of the reasons I’ve been so excited about it. When Marvel first approached me with the first movie, I thought, “Wait a second? A talking raccoon? Isn’t that a rather ridiculous idea to base a movie around?”

It was then that I took a step back and asked myself: Okay, if a raccoon could talk, and shoot a machine gun, how could that be? And answering that question ended up being the entire foundation of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1. There was a sadness in the answer. Rocket was an animal experimented upon, torn apart and put back together, without compassion. He was the only being of his type, had never known any hint of kindness, and was utterly and completely alone until he met his fellow Guardians. And, one of them in particular – Groot – thought it was worth sacrificing his life for his sake. This melancholy and beautiful undercurrent helped to ground the character for me. He had far more in common with Frankenstein’s monster than he did Bugs Bunny. And I related to him, greatly, and I hoped other folks who felt like outsiders would as well.

Ego seemed, in many ways, like an even more ridiculous character. But I asked myself, if a planet was alive, how could that be? And how could it father a child?

The answers to those questions took me to a far deeper place that I expected. I don’t want to give away too many answers at this time. But what Nova Prime said about Peter’s father at the end of Vol. 1 is certainly true – he is something ancient and unknown. And, as we will discover, being a cosmic being, alone for eons, is perhaps even more lonely than being the universe’s sole talking raccoon.

I can’t wait for you guys to see Kurt Russell bring this character to life onscreen. It has been a rapturous experience creating Ego with him. We have both pushed ourselves as far as we can go in making him real, and grounded, and emotionally centered.

I also can’t wait for all of you to see this movie. I really, really love it. Never has anything I’ve done flowed as smoothly as this project, and been so true and consistent from the first day I started writing it until today, as we edit it and create our visual effects.

And, worry not. Although you’ve learned a lot today, we have countless more surprises for you as we get closer to our release date. And even more of them in the movie itself.

Stay tuned to this page for more updates as we approach May 5, 2017 and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2!

Thanks!

James
Old 07-24-2016, 02:35 AM   #98
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:24 AM   #99
Mayhem
Foot Elite

I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going...
Old 07-24-2016, 08:17 AM   #100
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
That all sounds amazing. Buckle up!