The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 10-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

How often do you play mobile games?

As we all know by now, the mobile gaming market has been getting bigger in the last few years. Long are gone the days where the most groundbreaking game you could play on your mobile phone was Snake.

I must say, I haven't done much mobile gaming myself. The popular free ones such as Flappy Bird, Fruit Ninja, Sudoku mobile, etc. are useful if you have 8 mins to spare while waiting in line at the supermarket or if you're at the bus stop or waiting for the train at the tube/subway/metro; but that's it. I end up getting bored of them in days or so. And phone space is needed. I've also never paid for a microtransaction in a mobile game nor have I bought any mobile game.

I've tried the mobile version of the first ever Sonic game. It's not bad but I can't really get used to the touchscreen controls. I'd rather play it with an actual controller.

The two mobile games I've dedicated the most time to were New Soccer Star and a mobile version of Sim City. They've made some boring uni lectures much more bearable. But eventually I stopped playing them and realised "boy that was a waste of time".

What about you? And feel free to tell me about good mobile games I'm missing on. Please no pay-to-win games or games that are free to play but pay to win. Thanks.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:45 PM   #2
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Never. I have a ton of other games to play.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #3
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

The only mobile games I play are the 1st and 2nd Gen Pokemon games on the MyOldBoy emulator for Android.

I only heard of it recently, but the moment I tried it, I was hooked. It feels just like a Gameboy, right down to having link cable support, a Gameboy like layout and even Gameboy printer support.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:49 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
The only mobile games I play are the 1st and 2nd Gen Pokemon games on the MyOldBoy emulator for Android.

I only heard of it recently, but the moment I tried it, I was hooked. It feels just like a Gameboy, right down to having link cable support, a Gameboy like layout and even Gameboy printer support.
Oh emulators? I mostly did that on my first ever smartphone back in 2012-2013. I got an Atari 2600, SNES and NES emulator for it. I remember that one time having to wait 2 hours for my group to show up at the spot we had agreed to meet at. You know what I did for those two hours under a bus stop and rainy weather? I beat Turtles in Time a couple of times on my Samsung Galaxy Ace.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I played both Ingress and Pokemon Go! for a while, but quit mostly cold turkey in July of 2016 when I dropped my phone on vacation.

Never quite got back into the habit after that.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:53 PM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I played both Ingress and Pokemon Go! for a while, but quit mostly cold turkey in July of 2016 when I dropped my phone on vacation.

Never quite got back into the habit after that.
I've never bothered with Pokémon Go. I can see the appeal if you're not someone who owns the latest Nintendo handhelds and hasn't played Pokémon since the 2nd gen, but if you own the latest pokémon games and Nintendo handhelds, it's preferable just to play the actual games. Are people still playing Pokémon Go anyway?

Ingress? I googled it... so is that where Pokémon Go got their idea?
Old 10-03-2017, 03:56 PM   #7
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I am huge fan of all Pokemon, and tried to get into Pokemon Go, but just couldn't really come to love it like the Originals.

Give me the original games anyday, even on an emulator.

But I do Intend to try Pokemon Go sometime again in the future, when people might start looking back on it with nostalgia. I do appreciate that they're sticking to the Original 251, making Catching em all a realistic task for now.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:56 PM   #8
Slade
god status

Everyday. I don't really play my console much these days.
Dokkan Battle, global and jp version
power rangers legacy wars..as much as it pisses me off
marvel contest of champions
pokemon go a little bit
some wwe game that I can't get anywhere in
8 ball pool
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:58 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I am huge fan of all Pokemon, and tried to get into Pokemon Go, but just couldn't really get into it.

Give me the original games anyday, even on an emulator.

But I do Intend to try Pokemon Go sometime again in the future, when people might start looking back on it with nostalgia.
I mean, the concept sounds cool on paper, but the idea of me actually leaving the house on a weekend on purpose to the nearest public park or café to catch an Abra or a Pidgey... maybe if I was 14 years old again or something. That'd would have been cool. Kinda like those Easter egg hunts people do in American movies.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:58 PM   #10
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

I maybe try a free app once a year. Maybe. But I just can't get into them and I quickly delete the app. I need a controller and buttons and stuff. MarioKart on my 3DXL is fun but nothing compares to an actual console with a controller and TV, especially not mobile. But it's just my personal opinion and preference of course. I tried Doom on a computer back in 1997 I think it was. Couldn't get into using a computer for games either.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:00 PM   #11
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I've never bothered with Pokémon Go. I can see the appeal if you're not someone who owns the latest Nintendo handhelds and hasn't played Pokémon since the 2nd gen, but if you own the latest pokémon games and Nintendo handhelds, it's preferable just to play the actual games. Are people still playing Pokémon Go anyway?

Ingress? I googled it... so is that where Pokémon Go got their idea?
They're made by the same company, and used the same user-constructed landmarks for the locations of gyms and pokestops and the like.

Pokemon Go was the first Poke-game I'd ever played.
I liked it, but...only really the walking around and collecting stuff part of it.
The fighting just wasn't as fun for me as Ingress was.

The best was the day I realized the woman sitting in front of me on the bus was on the other Ingress team, and every time she blew something up I tried to reclaim it for my team....to a varying level of success.

I can imagine someone not as reliant on public transportation and/or biking might not get as big a kick out of these games as I did.
They're far more entertaining when you don't commute by car.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:04 PM   #12
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
I maybe try a free app once a year. Maybe. But I just can't get into them and I quickly delete the app. I need a controller and buttons and stuff. MarioKart on my 3DXL is fun but nothing compares to an actual console with a controller and TV, especially not mobile. But it's just my personal opinion and preference of course. I tried Doom on a computer back in 1997 I think it was. Couldn't get into using a computer for games either.
Really? Mario kart plays well for me on GBA/DS/3DS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
They're made by the same company, and used the same user-constructed landmarks for the locations of gyms and pokestops and the like.

Pokemon Go was the first Poke-game I'd ever played.
I liked it, but...only really the walking around and collecting stuff part of it.
The fighting just wasn't as fun for me as Ingress was.

The best was the day I realized the woman sitting in front of me on the bus was on the other Ingress team, and every time she blew something up I tried to reclaim it for my team....to a varying level of success.

I can imagine someone not as reliant on public transportation and/or biking might not get as big a kick out of these games as I did.
They're far more entertaining when you don't commute by car.
Well fighting in Pokémon Go sounds kind of pointless since the game has no plot nor do you go around beating other trainers and gym leaders like you do in the actual games. Its "selling point" was going outside and catching pokémon. Or maybe even catching them in your bathroom. No wonder the novelty wore off fast.

And I'm all about public transportation. I mean, I am European after all! 26 years old and cant' drive yet.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:06 PM   #13
plastroncafe

Quote:
Well fighting in Pokémon Go sounds kind of pointless since the game has no plot nor do you go around beating other trainers and gym leaders like you do in the actual games. Its "selling point" was going outside and catching pokémon. Or maybe even catching them in your bathroom. No wonder the novelty wore off fast.
I admit the selling point was to wander, but there is a combat element.
I just don't have the encyclopedic knowledge of the characters, so I'm crap at combat.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-03-2017, 04:08 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
Everyday. I don't really play my console much these days.
Dokkan Battle, global and jp version
power rangers legacy wars..as much as it pisses me off
marvel contest of champions
pokemon go a little bit
some wwe game that I can't get anywhere in
8 ball pool
What is the name of the WWE game and what is it about exactly?
Old 10-03-2017, 04:09 PM   #15
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Really? Mario kart plays well for me on GBA/DS/3DS.
Yeah Mariokart is great on handheld I just like a bigger screen. I don't even use the 3D aspect on mine but have it turned off.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:09 PM   #16
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
I mean, the concept sounds cool on paper, but the idea of me actually leaving the house on a weekend on purpose to the nearest public park or café to catch an Abra or a Pidgey... maybe if I was 14 years old again or something. That'd would have been cool. Kinda like those Easter egg hunts people do in American movies.
Part of the charm of the mainstream Pokemon games are the battling mechanics and the story.

I love the catching Pokemon mechanics of Go, just don't like the battling system and think a story wouldn't have hurt.

Sure, it wouldn't be possible to travel to different cities like in the games but atleast they could've let you battle Gym Leaders and encounter Bosses (your rival, Giovanni, Silver) depending on the number of Pokemon you have caught. Even Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 on the N64 had a system of progression.

I know there is a gym system in Pokemon Go, but I think it should be updated to have the Battle/Levelling up mechanics of the Original games while the catching mechanics stay Unique.

Connectivity to the main Pokemon games would've also been awesome, especially since gen 1 and 2 have been released on Virtual console. I like the thought of having a Mewtwo in the main games that was transferred from Pokemon Go.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:11 PM   #17
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Part of the charm of the mainstream Pokemon games are the battling mechanics and the story.

I love the catching Pokemon mechanics of Go, just don't like the battling system and think a story wouldn't have hurt.

Sure, it wouldn't be possible to travel to different cities like in the games but atleast they could've let you battle Gym Leaders and encounter Bosses (your rival, Giovanni, Silver) depending on the number of Pokemon you have caught and have some sort of character development. Pokemon isn't Pokemon without being able to talk to NPCs who say stuff like "I like wearing shorts"

Connectivity to the main Pokemon games would've also been awesome, especially since gen 1 and 2 have been released on Virtual console. I like the thought of having a Mewtwo in the main games that was transferred from Pokemon Go.
Weren't that rumours that Nintendo wanted to connect Pokémon Go with Sun and Moon or something?
Old 10-03-2017, 04:15 PM   #18
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I been playing TMNT Legends a lot, its very addictive.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:15 PM   #19
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Weren't that rumours that Nintendo wanted to connect Pokémon Go with Sun and Moon or something?
That might be possible, but I haven't kept up to date on it.

Only know much about the Virtual Console releases, hope they can connect with Pokemon Go, especially since Pokemon Go only has the original 251 Pokemon at this point.

Somewhat like The Time capsule in Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal which allowed you to transfer Pokemon back in time, Pokemon Go could also have a feature which allows you to trade with the Virtual console games.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:17 PM   #20
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
That might be possible, but I haven't kept up to date on it.

Only know much about the Virtual Console releases, hope they can connect with Pokemon Go, especially since Pokemon Go only has the original 251 Pokemon at this point.

Somewhat like The Time capsule in Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal which allowed you to transfer Pokemon back in time, Pokemon Go could also have a feature which allows you to trade with the Virtual console games.
The reason I bought Yellow and Silver off the eshop was so that I could eventually use them in later games(Sun and Moon) as Nintendo had promised before Red, Blue and Yellow had come out.

I haven't opened my Sun copy yet. Let's see if I can do that before 2018. Meanwhile there is an ultra version coming out already. Move slower, video game industry!