The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 07-27-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
pferreira
Foot Elite

TMNT II Secret of the Ooze Dedication Controversy

I know that when TMNT II was released that it came with a dedication for Jim Henson who had recently passed away. But his family apparently weren't happy as they didn't want a franchise that had got a reputation amongst parental groups for being violent to be associated with Henson's name:

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Teenage...et_of_the_Ooze

What do you guys think? Were they right to complain? Do you think Henson's family overreacted? TMNT II isn't a great film by any means but it's not that bad and even if you dislike the film the fact that the production team bothered to put a dedication at the start of the film is commendable for two reasons. Firstly it's showing respect for someone who they had high admiration for, secondly we have to remember that this isn't a Jim Henson movie, Henson's company only worked on these films therefore the fact the TMNT production team made that effort is pretty nice of them.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:51 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

It's not really our place to say.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
It's not really our place to say.
I get what you mean. It's a difficult thing to talk about and a difficult position for the production team to be in. You can certainly make arguments for the dedication and not.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:39 PM   #4
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Looking at it from 2017, it doesn't seem like much but back then when violent cartoons (which are not violent by today's standards) were heavily frowned upon, so I imagine the family didn't want late Jim Henson's reputation to be ruined by having his name attached to tmnt.

Although to be fair, even if I did think violent cartoons were bad, tmnt 2 was heavily toned down from the first where it got criticism for having too much slapstick and the turtles not using their weapons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:05 PM   #5
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I was unaware there was a controversy. I do not see what the problem is giving thanks for the costume production. Besides, I thought the weapons limitation was to cater to parents. Having done that what is there to be upset about?
Old 07-27-2017, 08:46 PM   #6
tmntgeoff
Hench Mutant

I went to the Seattle mopop museum which had the Henson exhibit and there wasn't 1 thing about the turtles. I wondered why since at the time it was there most technically advanced puppets, but that would probably explain why there was nothing there. Makes me wonder why they even did the suits for the 2nd movie if they were so displeased with the turtles.

The only reason he agreed to do them in the first place was because of Steve Barron and he wasnt even the director for soto
tmntgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:48 PM   #7
Powder
So tired of this place

I could be mistaken but I think his son was already taking over at that point, & he was quite fond of the property AFAIK.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:10 AM   #8
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntgeoff View Post
I went to the Seattle mopop museum which had the Henson exhibit and there wasn't 1 thing about the turtles. I wondered why since at the time it was there most technically advanced puppets, but that would probably explain why there was nothing there. Makes me wonder why they even did the suits for the 2nd movie if they were so displeased with the turtles.

The only reason he agreed to do them in the first place was because of Steve Barron and he wasnt even the director for soto
That's kind of a bummer honestly...not going to lie I'm a little miffed they didn't put the Turtles in the exhibit (that I just found out about)
Old 10-30-2017, 08:14 AM   #9
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

It's their right to do what they want but yes I think it is ridiculous. Honestly, how violent was the first movie? It wasn't too violent and the 2nd movie was even less violent. It all just comes down to them being a bunch of pansies. They probably think farting in public is violent.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote