The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-11-2021, 06:06 AM   #41
Shark_Blade
Emperor

If you’re tired of FW, take a time off; because the world clearly ain’t tired of it and wanting more.

I’m mainly familiar on Season 1 of FW and even I’m excited. Maybe it’s time for me to continue explore Season 2 onwards.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:19 AM   #42
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The peak years of the show are seasons one through three, and then season seven, but there's great episodes here and there throughout the run.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:52 AM   #43
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
What references did the Red Sky seasons make to Mirage?
Very few, as I far as I can remember: Dregg's teleportation device was basically a transmaat and planet where Dregg ended up in the last episode was looking like a Triceraton asteroid base.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:29 AM   #44
CyberCubed
Overlord

I dunno, I'd say Karai has been around long enough she's been an established part of the mythos now. Outside of Mirage she had a major role in the 2k3 series, a major role in the Nick 2012 cartoon, a major role in the IDW comics, and she even appeared at the tail-end of Rise in the last story arc.

This isn't 1995 anymore when all Karai had was the Mirage comics and the SNES Tournament Fighters videogame. She's now been majorly exposed through 2 major cartoons and the longest lasting ongoing TMNT comic (IDW).

I'd say most TMNT fans are familiar with her now.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:30 AM   #45
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Karai was literally in the last THREE movies. She's not niche.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:18 AM   #46
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Karai was based on Lotus Blossom of the 1987 as confirmed by Kevin Eastman in a 1993 interview about City at War on where they drew inspiration so we just need to see Lotus Blossom come back, reveal her real name is Karai and Lotus is her alias like Shredder for Oroku Saki and we're done.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:18 AM   #47
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Those films are niche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'd say most TMNT fans are familiar with her now.
Good thing I wasn't talking about TMNT fans who'll watch anything am I? I'm talking about Joe Public. They don't give a s*it about her. Ask any of them and they wouldn't be able to tell you a thing she was in.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:23 AM   #48
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Karai was based on Lotus Blossom of the 1987 as confirmed by Kevin Eastman in a 1993 interview about City at War on where they drew inspiration so we just need to see Lotus Blossom come back, reveal her real name is Karai and Lotus is her alias like Shredder for Oroku Saki and we're done.
What,wait...really? I thought it was just two different similar characters. Do we have a source that you link. I am not saying I don't trust you I just want to see it.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:10 AM   #49
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
In two of them (Bayturtles) she was not of much importance or memorable.
And very few people remember 2007 movie, much less appreciated it.

Quote:
It wouldn't be the strangest transformation of Karai in media.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:59 AM   #50
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I wouldn't be against it, but I think, if they go for it - it will suck.

There is simply no way to replicate atmosphere and humor of the OG show. Its like all those pseudo-80s productions, like Guardians of the Galaxy - they try to ape 80s style, but do it in an overdone manner, which reads like a parody.
Yeah, I'm thinking they'll be overdoing it with the VCRs and cassette tapes and whatever cuz HEY GAIZ ITS TEH 80s, even though the real show used more fictional technology than anything. Like you can count how many times a VCR actually appeared on the show on one hand and we've never seen a turtle have to use a pencil to fix a cassette tape. I only remember ONE episode where Krang even used a floppy disk.

Why not just set them in some sort of modern-ish era where we kinda/sorts don't acknowledge it's the 80s but only use modern technology when we absolutely have to.

Like I think the 2012 show only dealt with a modern day phone with a camera once and they were never brought up ever again. Like the internet is a thing but it's barely mentioned or focused on even though the show takes place during a way more internet focused era than the 2k3 era.

Ironically Back to the Sewers dealt more with the internet though it was more a 'let's use that there internet to relate to the kids, see, we're still cool' thing.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 03-11-2021 at 12:36 PM.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:27 PM   #51
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
You're just being contrarian
Nah, you're just championing FW.

Quote:
TMNT will never step out of the shadow of Fred Wolf ...so you might as well embrace it while it keeps making money.
Embrace what didn't make money and bombing. Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
If you’re tired of FW, take a time off; because the world clearly ain’t tired of it and wanting more.
Spoken like a true shill.

Last edited by LeotheLateBloomer; 03-11-2021 at 12:46 PM.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:42 PM   #52
Coola Yagami
Overlord

IDK man, I'd love a short stand-alone season or something.

My ideal season would be something short like... idk 8-10 episodes so the Shredder/Krang formula doesn't get too stale.

I love the Karai idea, and having it end with her becoming a recurring villain.

Have a few non-Shredder/Krang episodes but rather than being the lame scientists and mobsters, have the villains be stand-alone types like Leatherhead, Rat King, Baxterfly and Karai.

IF YOU MUST reference some of the lame gangsters and scientists make them like the random criminals or thugs that the Turtles take down before the real threat of the episode begins, or have them team up with one of the villains. Like hell, have Leatherhead kidnap some of the scientists because he got some big plan but needs help of the science kind to help build it and stuff.

Maybe an episode to introduce Scratch or Anthrax or whatever properly.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 03-11-2021, 12:57 PM   #53
CyberCubed
Overlord

The only people qualified to write original cartoon episodes should be people who watched all 10 seasons at least 20 times each and have every episode memorized by heart. Otherwise it'll just feel like a parody trying to emulate its style like you usually see.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 01:22 PM   #54
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
IDK man, I'd love a short stand-alone season or something.

My ideal season would be something short like... idk 8-10 episodes so the Shredder/Krang formula doesn't get too stale.

I love the Karai idea, and having it end with her becoming a recurring villain.

Have a few non-Shredder/Krang episodes but rather than being the lame scientists and mobsters, have the villains be stand-alone types like Leatherhead, Rat King, Baxterfly and Karai.

IF YOU MUST reference some of the lame gangsters and scientists make them like the random criminals or thugs that the Turtles take down before the real threat of the episode begins, or have them team up with one of the villains. Like hell, have Leatherhead kidnap some of the scientists because he got some big plan but needs help of the science kind to help build it and stuff.

Maybe an episode to introduce Scratch or Anthrax or whatever properly.
I would be down for all of this. Yes, the mobsters and mad scientist hurt the series and quality of villains. Some of the plots like in Raphael Knocks 'em Dead are embarrassingly stupid. Rat King, evil mutant, Technodrome gang. How much of it does not need connection to the Technodrome gang? For the success of the series Shredder/Krang were necessary, however there was potential like mentioned above. Though a threat like Beserko may have ties to Krang, got overshadowed in his own outing and the convenience of him holding up where Krang lead them too. Chronos was another oneshot that had potential.

Speaking of formulas, how does Team Rocket going after Pikachu 20 years later still work? Their viability of a threat passed long, long ago. I guess the longer a series runs the less a threat the main antagonist becomes.

I did not like the Red Sky episodes being just 8 apiece. I mean Shredder and Krang were a threat when their arsenals was taken and they had to rely on limited resources and cunning. Getting just 4 episodes and the 3 with Dregg. Shredder and Krang were at their arguable best. Maybe 13 episodes and not be in repeats by New Year's Day.

I want to see a tone like season 8, but like season 7 have the more serious tone with a plethora of guest stars.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:09 PM   #55
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I thought that has been debunked a couple of times already over the years?
Old 03-11-2021, 02:15 PM   #56
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I would be down for all of this. Yes, the mobsters and mad scientist hurt the series and quality of villains. Some of the plots like in Raphael Knocks 'em Dead are embarrassingly stupid. Rat King, evil mutant, Technodrome gang. How much of it does not need connection to the Technodrome gang? For the success of the series Shredder/Krang were necessary, however there was potential like mentioned above. Though a threat like Beserko may have ties to Krang, got overshadowed in his own outing and the convenience of him holding up where Krang lead them too. Chronos was another oneshot that had potential.

Speaking of formulas, how does Team Rocket going after Pikachu 20 years later still work? Their viability of a threat passed long, long ago. I guess the longer a series runs the less a threat the main antagonist becomes.

I did not like the Red Sky episodes being just 8 apiece. I mean Shredder and Krang were a threat when their arsenals was taken and they had to rely on limited resources and cunning. Getting just 4 episodes and the 3 with Dregg. Shredder and Krang were at their arguable best. Maybe 13 episodes and not be in repeats by New Year's Day.

I want to see a tone like season 8, but like season 7 have the more serious tone with a plethora of guest stars.
Idk I'm sure people are gonna want some of the jokes and pizza references. I just want actual well animated fighting. Like I said there's a million ways to do a fight scene without having to impale someone. I wanna see spinning kicks, someone catching a punch and delivering a few chops while they're open, just fast paced martial arts action. Hell have someone actually punch someone out. Raph could even say something like 'hmm a littymore violent than we're used to but hey, it works!"

And like I said only show old tech if you gave to, not because 'heh heh, it's the 80s, get it?'.

Though now that I think about it, since the turtles stuff is salvaged junk it would make sense that they have an old type TV, but april would own a flat screen.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:44 PM   #57
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I know we have a thread in the Video Games section devoted to the main game, but this is the discussion thread for the animated intro for it...begging the question...is an inevitable revival of Fred Wolf possible?

After all the millions of times we've seen "homage" recreations of that Fred Wolf intro, at least this one is doing something other than just remaking it.

A new Fred Wolf cartoon or a Fred Wolf revival? Obviously it wouldn't be for me and I would hate it. But nothing would be more eyeball-rollingly predictable to see happen since the moment Nickelodeon completed the 2009 deal.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 03-11-2021 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:08 PM   #58
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

That looked so AMAZING. It could become lije a new show with that style for like Netflix or something.
Last Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:43 PM   #59
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
I’m mainly familiar on Season 1 of FW and even I’m excited. Maybe it’s time for me to continue explore Season 2 onwards.
Season 2 is good, but I would recommend season 7 for you since you are huge fan of season 1. Season 7 is the closest to the 1st season in tone and style (not counting the European vacation).

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 04:24 PM   #60
srmff
Foot Soldier

For me, Karai seems like quite an integral part of TMNT at this stage. In any new version of TMNT, I'm expecting her to show up in some form. It's probably because I grew up the with both the 2003 and 80s shows. She has made an appearance in most iterations of TMNT at this stage. Most people would be familiar with Casey Jones even though he barely appeared in the 80s show. Where I'm living, I was not at all familiar with the 1990 movie before I got into the fandom and looked up TMNT online in my teens. Of course, Karai isn't as synonymous with TMNT as Casey Jones is but I don't think that she's that far behind. There are only a few recurring characters that appear in numerous episodes across different shows.
srmff is offline   Reply With Quote