The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-20-2017, 06:29 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

‘Harley Quinn’: DC Digital Service Orders Animated Series About Comic Book Villainess

http://deadline.com/2017/11/harley-q...er-1202212632/

EXCLUSIVE: Harley Quinn, the breakout character from Warner Bros./DC’s film Suicide Squad that already is set up for a spinoff movie, is also getting her own animated TV series. Warner Bros’ upcoming DC-Branded direct-to-consumer digital platform has ordered 26 episodes of half-hour adult animated action-comedy series Harley Quinn, from Powerless executive producers Justin Halpern & Patrick Schumacker and Dean Lorey via Warner Bros. Animation.

Harley Quinn is closely associated with Margot Robbie whose portrayal of the nurse who falls for the Joker was a major bright spot in Suicide Squad. I hear Robbie is at the top of Warner Bros.’ wish list for actresses to voice the title character in the animated series and she is expected to be approached for the gig.

Harley Quinn, which also will feature Poison Ivy and other popular DC villains (and heroes), is the third series to be greenlighted for the new DC digital platform — operated by Warner Bros. Digital Networks Group — joining live-action Titans, from Greg Berlanti, Akiva Goldsman, Geoff Johns, Sarah Schechter, and the anticipated revival of cult animated series Young Justice.
Deadline Archive

Written and executive produced by Halpern, Schumacker and Lorey, Harley Quinn, based on the DC characters, focuses on Harley Quinn who has finally broken things off once and for all with the Joker and attempts to make it on her own as the criminal Queenpin of Gotham City. The series features Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy and a whole cast of heroes and villains, old and new, from the DC Universe.

The project is still in the works, so the featured image above is development art, and the series’ eventual look may differ from it.

Sam Register, president of Warner Bros. Animation and Warner Digital Series, also executive produces. Jennifer Coyle (DC Super Hero Girls: Hero of the Year) produces with Halpern and Schumacker’s Ehsugadee Productions in association with Warner Bros. Animation.

Halpern, Schumacker and Lorey dabbled in the superhero comedy series space with their stint as executive producers on NBC/Warner Bros. TV single-camera comedy Powerless last season.

This season, Schumacker and Halpern, who served as showrunners on Powerless, have multi-camera school comedy Suspended, which has a put pilot commitment at Fox. The duo, which has been based at WBTV, also teamed with Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas on comedic drama It’s The End Of The World As We Know It, which sold to the CW in a preemptive buy. Halpern and Schumacker, repped by ICM Partners and attorney Allison Binder, previously co-created CBS’ S#*! My Dad Said for WBTV and CBS with Max Mutchnick and David Cohen. It was based on Halpern’s bestseller, Sh*t My Dad Says.

Lorey also was a writer-co-executive producer on Arrested Development from 2006-2013 and writer-executive producer for all five seasons of My Wife & Kids. He is repped by WME.

https://batman-news.com/2017/11/20/h...margot-robbie/

Looks like Margot Robbie could be voicing Harley

Last edited by Autbot_Benz; 11-20-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:45 PM   #2
Sumac
Banned

Good.

Though, I pretty sure, that some people will be OUTRAGED about this, because, they still think that HQ is horrible example for kids and that she is still in abusive relationship with Joker.
Or that she incapable of working as a character without Joker.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:34 AM   #3
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Good.

Though, I pretty sure, that some people will be OUTRAGED about this, because, they still think that HQ is horrible example for kids and that she is still in abusive relationship with Joker.
Or that she incapable of working as a character without Joker.
I know, they can shove their negativity up where the sun don't shine.

The Punisher on Netflix is anti-hero and arguably not a good example for kids. The show is still bloody (pun,ha!) great and edgy. Do I care about some stupid kids? Nope.

I hope this Harley spinoff will go full dark no stars as well. I prefer live action but this is what we're getting, so I'm all about it.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:31 AM   #4
Sumac
Banned

With seemingly imminent cancellation of Birds of Pray movie and Gotham Sirens movie, I'll take even this.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:42 AM   #5
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Not too keen on SQ Harley, but I guess a show could develop her into a more interesting character.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:28 AM   #6
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Harley Quinn Animated Series Cast Includes Poison Ivy, King Shark & More

Quote:
The Joker, Poison Ivy, Clayface, King Shark and more will join Harley Quinn in her own animated series on DC’s as-yet untitled streaming service.

That Hashtag Show has gotten hold of the character breakdowns for the forthcoming Harley Quinn animated series, and the fan-favorite character will have plenty of company joining her in the adult-oriented series. Unsurprisingly, both the Joker and Poison Ivy will appear in the series, with Deadline having already confirmed Poison Ivy back in November. However, the additions of characters such as Sy Borgman, Dr. Psycho, Malice Vundabar, King Shark and Clayface are a bit more surprising.

On Twitter, showrunner Patrick Schumacker confirmed the breakdowns as “accurate”:

The breakdown for the Joker promises a character that’s “equal parts homicidal and charismatic,” who “does everything he can to stop her.” On the other hand, “sarcastic and incredibly smart” Poison Ivy will act as “Harley’s best friend and new roommate… her reluctant partner-in-crime.”

SY BORGMAN - (90’s) Once upon a time, Sy used to be a suave, super spy. Now in his 90s, he’s a wheelchair user with most of his body replaced by creaky 50s era bionic parts. Crotchety, difficult and longs to become relevant again. He’s also Harley and Ivy’s landlord, and insists they take him on their heists so can get back into the action – or else he won’t repair the plumbing. (SERIES REGULAR)

DR. PSYCHO - (Mid-40s) An angry misogynist dwarf with telekinesis. He was a major villain until the “incident” ten years ago …Disgraced, the only one who’ll have him is Harley. A woman. He can’t stand it, but he’ll do anything to get back into the villain community. (SERIES REGULAR)

KING SHARK - (30) His lower half is human, but his upper half is the body of a great white shark. Even though he looks incredibly fierce, he’s a gentle soul who just wants to be normal. That is, until he smells blood.(SERIES REGULAR)

CLAYFACE - (Mid 30’s) A large, humanoid mass of clay, Clayface was a struggling, trained actor until a terrible pottery accident turned him into the shapeshifting villain he is now. (SERIES REGULAR)

MALICE VUNDABAR - Early 20s, pretty, but over it. She’s an alien (but looks human) and her family is crazy rich and powerful, she’s interning with Harley’s gang for college credit. (SERIES REGULAR)

Written and executive produced by Justin Halpern, Patrick Schumacker and Dean Lorey for Warner Bros. Animation, the adult-oriented Harley Quinn animated series is slated for a 26-episode release on the DC digital platform, where it will join the live-action Titans and the animated Young Justice: Outsiders. Warner Bros. is reportedly eyeing Suicide Squad star Margot Robbie to lend her voice to the project.

via ScreenRant
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:11 PM   #7
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Kaley Cuoco is set to voice Harley: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...series-1149176

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:13 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

I really hate Ivy's all green skin tone. One of my least favorite redesigns for her.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:31 PM   #9
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post

Kaley Cuoco is set to voice Harley: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...series-1149176
I love the little jab at Deadpool.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:38 PM   #10
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post

eh I would have preferred Tara Strong. I like that Diedrich Bader is batman again
Old 10-03-2018, 07:44 PM   #11
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Didn't hate it. Didn't love it. We'll see.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:11 AM   #13
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Man, this show finally came up with a great romantic partner for Ivy that isn't Harley and now I want it to be canon in comics, much the same way Beast Boy and Raven ultimately got 'ship teased in Titans Go after the original series ended.

Kite Man HELL YEAH.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:31 PM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

This thing seems weird to me. The type of humor itself is to my taste while not actually being something I like to see associated with DC characters on an "official" show or project, if that makes any sense. Like, what I'd laugh at coming out of Peter Griffin's mouth doesn't land for me when coming out of Harley Quinn's. Maybe that's weird but it's something I've noticed anyway.

Like whenever I'm scrolling through FB and a clip from this show comes up I end up rolling my eyes. Like Harley's "This must be where you f*ck the bats" thing to Batman. I mean it's funny but it feels inappropriate at the same time. I get that "irreverence" is the entire point but I don't know.

Like when Robot Chicken does the same kinda thing, I laugh. I guess because it's 3rd-party satire and not DC "officially" making fun of itself. Maybe. I don't know exactly what it is but that's just the way my gut reacts to this. I had no opinion on it whatsoever but every time I see a clip I either sigh or cringe, and I'm totally not doing it on purpose.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:49 PM   #15
ABrown
Banned

Syfy has the entire first season available. I'm gonna give it a go. So far I've watched the first episode.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:11 PM   #16
Leo656
The Franchise

Is it censored? My wife was wondering. She was curious about it but if it's censored she's not gonna bother with it.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:22 PM   #17
neatoman
Emperor

About the censorship, why is this show fine with leaving almost every word uncensored except for... Well it's going to get filtered here but anyone who watched the show knows what Doctor Psycho called Wonder Woman... that word?

There's actually one instance where the censorship of that particular word made me thing they censored "cockeye".
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:17 PM   #18
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Is it censored? My wife was wondering. She was curious about it but if it's censored she's not gonna bother with it.
From what I can tell it appears Syfy has it completely uncensored. My wife was kinda shocked when she heard the language.

You know after watching the first couple of episodes, you know what this show kinda reminds me of. It reminds me the show Stripperella: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stripperella. Remember that show, with Pamela Anderson voicing the title character.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:30 PM   #19
Leo656
The Franchise

So my wife put the first episode on and so far we're in agreement that the show tries way too hard, and I frankly don't think it's even very funny or clever at all. It's like, "We'll have these licensed characters say 'sh*t' and 'motherf*cker' every third word like they're all from NJ or something; that'll fill the Shock Value Quota while eliminating the need to write jokes or dialog." It's very hacky and lazy and I'm quite sure that most of the time they're just doing improv to amuse themselves and then animating over it later. It just feels very self-congratulatory and insists upon how awesome it is for being "outrageous", but I completely don't feel it.

It's pretty much what I feared it would be: An officially licensed Robot Chicken skit that doesn't know when to end. And since Robot Chicken is already a thing and they actually know how to, y'know, be funny, I'm kind of confused as to who this show is actually FOR, outside of that vocal minority of people who'll go nuts for anything with Harley in it.

It just... it isn't funny. The only thing that almost got a reaction from me was the Costco bit, and that's really more just because my wife and mother-in-law go there a lot, so it's not even like the show came up with a good joke, it just happened to be personally amusing for unrelated reasons.

I *think* she liked it a little bit more than I did, but she offered no debate when I said "Good Lord, that was tedious". She specifically didn't like most of the characterizations and the constant swearing in lieu of actual dialog; I pretty much didn't like any of it. I mean I don't feel dumber for watching it or anything but it's not for me.

That said, it'll probably end up being one of those shows we don't really pay attention to but leave on as background noise when the South Park and Family Guy reruns are all ones we've seen a thousand times, just because it's "something different". Like The Cleveland Show. I swear I must have "seen" that entire series by now, probably twice over, and I can't tell you anything about it other than the stepdaughter is hot and that show - like this one - isn't funny.

I've said this elsewhere, but it kind of amazes me how within, like, three years, they've made me go from "I rather like Harley Quinn in general" to "Y'know, if they NEVER used Harley Quinn ever again in anything I really wouldn't mind or care."

Old 06-04-2020, 05:50 PM   #20
ABrown
Banned

Looks like I finished the first season on Syfy just in time. I don't see the episodes available to watch any more. Speaking of the first season though, I was a little surprised to see a DVD release. I enjoyed the first season, but I'm not sure yet if it's something that I'll want to purchase to watch over and over again. If I do purchase the show, I'd imagine that I'll probably just purchase it digitally through amazon, rather than pick up the dvd.