The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 06-16-2021, 12:27 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Metroid 5: Dread

Interesting that they're calling it "Metroid 5." I guess... let's ignore Prime 1-3, The Other M, and call Fusion part 4?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:36 AM   #2
Roseangelo
Emperor

My understanding is that they are numbering them based on the side-scrollers, even though the other games fit into the timeline.

1 - Metroid
2 - Metroid II: Return of Samus
3 - Super Metroid
4 - Metroid Fusion

But anyways, SO EXCITED. I need to revisit all of the first four.

The original Metroid was one of those games that you could play on the NES station in Sears at the mall, and since we didn't have an NES at home (until a few years later), I would spend SO MUCH time playing that thing.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 02:24 AM   #3
Turo602
The King of Kings

Metroid Fusion was called Metroid 4 in the opening of the game. The Prime series is a sub series that can but doesn't have to exist within the main line series which is the side-scrollers.

Regardless, this made my E3. Halo and Zelda were great, but 19 f*cking years waiting for this one. I even remember back when rumors and reports were coming about for a Metroid Dread and being so disappointed at the lack of 2D Metroid post GBA. I liked what Mercury Steam did with Samus Returns on the 3DS and despite injecting so much new life into 2D Metroid, I still felt it was limited by being a remake of a Gameboy game. So I'm definitely excited to see what they can do with a completely new game.

Last edited by Turo602; 06-16-2021 at 03:18 AM.
Turo602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 02:30 AM   #4
Leo656
The Franchise

Looks pretty cool. I was vocally not in love with the original game when I finally played it all the way through for the first time several months ago - although I didn't hate it, just felt that it was "old school" in some of the worst ways but otherwise it's still "good". People tell me that's pretty much the worst game in the series, or at least the most annoying from a gameplay perspective, so I remain intrigued.

I still haven't played the others, yet, but I will. And I'll be picking this up eventually, too, most likely.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:24 AM   #5
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Looks good but I don't like the suit's design/color scheme.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:35 AM   #6
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I slept through the amiibo pre-order window yesterday so, pretty bummed about that.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:43 AM   #7
Sumac
Banned

Looks interesting.
I can't decide, whether I like this color palette or not. It certainly looks very distinct, but I am not sure, if I like how desaturated some locations look.

But anyway, new side-scrolling Metroid is better than no Metroids of any kind.

Also, yes, Fusion is Metroid 4.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:51 AM   #8
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Interesting that they're calling it "Metroid 5." I guess... let's ignore Prime 1-3, The Other M, and call Fusion part 4?
Oh, that's easy to explain. Going chronologically:
  • Metroid = Metroid 1
  • Prime = Metroid 1.1
  • Hunters = Metroid 1.1.1
  • Prime 2 = Metroid 1.2
  • Prime 3 = Metroid 1.3
  • Federation Force = Metroid 1.4
  • Metroid II = Metroid 2
  • Super Metroid = Metroid 3
  • Other M = Metroid 3.1
  • Fusion = Metroid 4

Every entry aside from the original two, Super and Fusion are interquel side-stories. Only those four actually progress the story, the others just fill the gaps.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:10 AM   #9
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
I slept through the amiibo pre-order window yesterday so, pretty bummed about that.
I missed my chances too, but hopefully they'll be in stores when the release date comes.

It might have gotten announced yesterday, but I didn't think stores would start taking preorders so early. I was on my phone yesterday and I caught the preorder for it on Best Buy's site, but then I decided to preorder it on my laptop since I already had it ready. By that time, they stopped taking preorders.

I almost got it on Target, but preorders sold out by the time I got to the part where I pay. Then I forgot all about GameStop until I saw a tweet saying they were taking preorders, but I missed my chance there too.

Amazon's listing is up, but it's still inactive and will probably go active later today. Wal-Mart has yet to list it on their site as well.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:21 AM   #10
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I'm glad a new 2D Metroid is coming but what has been shown doesn't impress me. Those rooms and corridors are aseptic not as organic as I would expect from a Metroid game. Every surface seems to be made of plastic. Damn, there are indie games out there that looks better than this, more metroid-like than this official one. I hope they are still working on it.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:07 AM   #11
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Yeah, fusion is called 4 in the title screen of the game

Prime was always considered a spin-off and "non-canon" since it was made by gaijins, especially when Other M was announced they stated that "yeah sure it happened but we won't reference and might contradict it" and Other M was meant to be an "official" spin off. Of course Other M failed and now it might not be canon or is in that "well it happened but we'll ignore it" and Prime got upgraded to "official spin-off" technically canon. Both Prime and Other M have things that don't fit 100% but meh, it can fit just fine, purists/fans just read too much into interviews on whether something is "real" or not in a fictional universe. I get it if it outright contradicts it, but just because character behaved like you wouldn't expect him to doesn't mean it's non canon. (Yes, even if it means Disney ruins Luke)
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:17 AM   #12
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

This all coming from the guy who takes Scooby-Doo continuity 100% seriously.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:21 AM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord

The 2D Metroids were always numbered. Metroid Dread was originally leaked in 2005, then Prime 3 had a pirate log saying "Metroid Dread is nearing completion" in 2007...and now here were are 15 years later.

It's obvious most people here know nothing about Metroid history. The Metroid Prime games take place before Super Metroid, and Metroid Other M takes place right after Super Metroid.

The games are:

Metroid/Zero Mission
Metroid II: Return of Samus
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Metroid Prime 3
Super Metroid
Metroid: Other M
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Dread

Metroid Prime 4 could take place wherever. There's also Metroid Prime Hunters on DS which introduced all the bounty hunters.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:01 PM   #14
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Scooby canon is serious business, only scholars need apply. Any lore chump can piece together Metroid.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 02:04 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Yeah, fusion is called 4 in the title screen
Huh, I forgot that.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:50 PM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord

Unfortunately Metroid has never been as big a seller as Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, etc....so that's why despite it being a 30+ year old franchise that began in 1986 it doesn't have as many games as the other Nintendo franchises.

Nintendo generally keeps Metroid alive out of goodwill to hardcore Nintendo fans. It's a shame the Metroid Prime games didn't sell as well as they could of, Metroid Prime 1 only sold over 2 million and that's it, but again they were stuck on the Gamecube for awhile. Even Metroid Prime 3 on Wii didn't sell more than 1 million.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:27 PM   #17
neatoman
Emperor

The irony of those low sales (and the general lack of 2D Metroid) is that Metroid is one of the most influential series of video games ever made.

Symphony of the Night, Cave Story, Ori, Hollow Knight, Shadow Complex, Cave Story, Steamworld Dig, Chasm, Axiom Verge, Zordak, A Robot Named Fight, Ghost 1.0 and the list just goes on. It is crazy how many games copies the gameplay of Metroid. And not so much in terms of gameplay but Black Mesa seemed to ignore what Xen was in the original Half-Life, just so it could homage the visuals and music of Metroid Prime instead.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:08 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The good thing about Metroid is that it doesn't appear to be a very expensive series to make. Even the Prime games. Fairly rudimentary.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:16 PM   #19
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The good thing about Metroid is that it doesn't appear to be a very expensive series to make. Even the Prime games. Fairly rudimentary.
The games themselves aren't groundbreaking in any way, They all play the same, You just have better graphics.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:21 PM   #20
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The 2D Metroids were always numbered. Metroid Dread was originally leaked in 2005, then Prime 3 had a pirate log saying "Metroid Dread is nearing completion" in 2007...and now here were are 15 years later.

It's obvious most people here know nothing about Metroid history. The Metroid Prime games take place before Super Metroid, and Metroid Other M takes place right after Super Metroid.

The games are:

Metroid/Zero Mission
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Metroid Prime 3
Super Metroid
Metroid: Other M
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Dread

Metroid Prime 4 could take place wherever. There's also Metroid Prime Hunters on DS which introduced all the bounty hunters.
You left out one and this is the proper order.

Metroid/Zero Mission
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Metroid Prime 3
Metroid Prime: Federation Force
Super Metroid
Metroid Other M
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Dread