The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2021, 07:05 PM   #1
EddieNES
Stone Warrior
 
EddieNES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 892
Single vs Entire collection

Does anyone in here only collect 1 character?

I’ve been contemplating it for awhile and wanted to get other opinions. One side of my brain says I’ll save a lot of money and my stress of the hunt will go down. (I hate not having 100% complete sets, and Neca is very hard.)

The other side of my brain thinks I’ll only get more stressed not pulling the trigger on everything and dealing with Ebayers when selling and shipping the other 3 bros of my collection.

Just curious what others feel if they focused on one character.
EddieNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:12 PM   #2
mrmaczaps
Mad Scientist
 
mrmaczaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieNES View Post
Does anyone in here only collect 1 character?

I’ve been contemplating it for awhile and wanted to get other opinions. One side of my brain says I’ll save a lot of money and my stress of the hunt will go down. (I hate not having 100% complete sets, and Neca is very hard.)

The other side of my brain thinks I’ll only get more stressed not pulling the trigger on everything and dealing with Ebayers when selling and shipping the other 3 bros of my collection.

Just curious what others feel if they focused on one character.
When I can't afford to buy it all, I try to focus on just Mikey stuff. Like Pops. Or those odd shaped 2012 looking Turtles from a few years back. Or all the key chains & oddities that are out there. But base figures, I try to snag all 4 bros.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:26 PM   #3
italianice388
Hench Mutant
 
italianice388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 444
i think going for completion with huge lines like neca is asking for heartbreak and disappointment. some of those are just hard to get, and honestly, a lot of them i have very little interest in. i'll admit, when the neca line first started, i was all in. i wanted it all. but as we started getting deeper and deeper, i realized...i don't give a **** about these triceraton characters that were in a single episode that i never even saw. and that's when my philosophy turned into more of: get the characters you like. get what you want, not what you feel obligated to get. i'm taking a similar approach with the super7 ultimates too. feels pretty nice to pass on **** and not feel any remorse.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:31 AM   #4
Chris
Mad Scientist
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 1,691
Exactly that. Collect what you like. Single character? Great. All in? Go for it. Pick and choose? Absolutely. Just do what feels right for you and your budget.

I tend to go for pick and choose, like italianice388 says there are just too many characters I don't have that emotional connection to and aren't worth the cost to me (because let's be honest, these toys aren't cheap).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:26 AM   #5
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.
 
Discogod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 1,692
When it comes to Mirage or the 1990 movie, I'm a completist. For all other versions of the franchise, I stick to just buying one turtle (Raphael), just to have some representation on the shelf.
Discogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:59 AM   #6
Y2Josh
Foot Soldier
 
Y2Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
i think going for completion with huge lines like neca is asking for heartbreak and disappointment. some of those are just hard to get, and honestly, a lot of them i have very little interest in. i'll admit, when the neca line first started, i was all in. i wanted it all. but as we started getting deeper and deeper, i realized...i don't give a **** about these triceraton characters that were in a single episode that i never even saw. and that's when my philosophy turned into more of: get the characters you like. get what you want, not what you feel obligated to get. i'm taking a similar approach with the super7 ultimates too. feels pretty nice to pass on **** and not feel any remorse.
Completely agree with this. I bought the Triceratons and regret it immensely, as I have no emotional attachment to them (though I will get the Super7 Triceraton whenever they make it, as I remember the toy fondly). For me, the cut-off is season five... and even then, I was on the fence about pulling the trigger on Mutagen Man/Ace as I don't really care for Mutagen Man and Ace only barely qualifies as a cartoon character.
Y2Josh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:54 PM   #7
italianice388
Hench Mutant
 
italianice388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
Completely agree with this. I bought the Triceratons and regret it immensely, as I have no emotional attachment to them (though I will get the Super7 Triceraton whenever they make it, as I remember the toy fondly). For me, the cut-off is season five... and even then, I was on the fence about pulling the trigger on Mutagen Man/Ace as I don't really care for Mutagen Man and Ace only barely qualifies as a cartoon character.
totally! that's not to say i don't love triceratons in general. like you, i have a huge connection to the toy version (and og mirage version). same goes for mutagen man and ace. don't remember them in the cartoon at all, and not really fond of their cartoon designs. i loved their toys though, so i'll snag the S7 versions.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:06 PM   #8
ToSte
Hench Mutant
 
ToSte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alaska
Posts: 379
I just stick to what I like. I have a couple of the neca toon and new line cinema sets, but this craps expensive and display space is at a premium these days with the glut of adult merchandise available. I'm going pretty hard on the super7 line but even there I skip an average of one figure per series just because I dont feel like I need them. Keep to what makes you happy.
ToSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:57 PM   #9
Zack
Mouser
 
Zack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Posts: 8
Post My Method

For me personally I always collect the following from lines I'm interested in, One Foot Solider, Shredder, Splinter, Mikey, Don, Raph, and Leo. If there are any other notable characters I take a liking to and they produce in the line I pick them up as well. But I always make it a point get the those 7 at a minimum. I also have been collecting every major vehicle for the cartoon boys.

TMNT is genius from a marketing perspective. It doesn't feel right to get any of the brothers individually to me and that goes for other merch as well. I own fore small 87' toon coin banks (Donnie has a dent indentation's on his dome sadly) to attest to that.

In fact while acquiring the 2012 toon set, I was running a bit low on funds at the time so I was going to come back for Mikey. Upon my arrival however at checkout the cashier inquired about the missing brother, so I went and made a change to my basket and exchanged a four pack of Velveeta shells and cheese for Michelangelo. Now I own the complete 2012 Toy Fair exclusive set, no regrets!
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:51 PM   #10
Otter
Hench Mutant
 
Otter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 400
NECA's 1990 movie I'm all-in on. That's beacuse I know the movie so well, there isn't a character I don't feel a connection with.
I'd say I'm all-in on the Mirage line as well, although I know there were issues I didn't like, and I would struggle to part with the cash for toys of.
I contemplated only collecting one character in different form factors/iterations in Skeletor, but some forms I simply don't like... so it ends up being a cherry-picking exercise anyway.

As others have said, don't measure your collection by anyone else's standards but your own. Your collection is your collection. And it's complete when it's made up of the things you have an emotional connection to.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:49 AM   #11
MegaPrime33
New Recruit
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Boston
Posts: 4
I have always only collected what I like and have never been a real completest. However, in a new line, I can't just get one turtle, I have to get all 4. With Neca being way too hard to find stuff, and s7 being too pricey per fig, I've actually been going back and picking up pieces from the original line.
MegaPrime33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:01 PM   #12
TCRI
Foot Soldier
 
TCRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England
Posts: 245
I was all in on 1990 NECA until the shadow warriors arrived.

I'm very particular about which turtles series I get. I only have 6 sets of turtles so far, so limiting myself to 1 turtle hasn't been necessary.

However, I do find Don is usually the best figure in any given set, except for 1990.

Only sets u own are

Mirage
Figuarts
1990
Mutagen Tour
Wacky Action
Movie Star

I really want Don from Super 7 though
TCRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:43 AM   #13
IMJ
Foot Elite
 
IMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Midwest, U.S.A.
Posts: 3,472
Nothing wrong with collecting one character, but with something like TMNT I've always viewed it as "you get the team because that's the thing".
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.