The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What should April and Casey's hypothetical son be called?
Arnold II 1 12.50%
Casey 2 25.00%
Bernid 0 0%
Sid 1 12.50%
Cody 3 37.50%
Something else (explain) 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2022, 12:57 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

If Casey and April had a son... (in Mirage)

... what should he be named?

And remember, Casey Jones' real full name is Arnold Bernid Jones. "Casey" is just a nickname.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 04:21 AM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

How much input did Laird have on the creation of Cody from FastForward? If he did have significant input, then I wouldn't be shocked if he would have gone with Cody in this scenario.

If I personally had to write a Mirage story about this idea, I might go with Cody because latter era Mirage didn't seem to mind bringing in 4Kids ideas anyway. But to tell you the truth, I don't think I would have a preference and might just pick a name at random, probably a common American boy's name like John or Mike... Wait, scratch Mike, that might give someone ideas along with Leo, Raph and Don... Oh, and certainly not Baxter, they would never name their son Baxter.

In the IDW continuity, I have wondered if it would work for a story if they had a kid named Cody who was also the reincarnation of Darius Dunn.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:47 AM   #3
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

And remember, Casey Jones' real full name is Arnold Bernid Jones. "Casey" is just a nickname.
Pre 4Kids, probably some common name like Joseph, Kyle, etc, or maybe even Arnold Jr.

Post 4Kids, since TMNT just loves to self-reference itself and other iterations, will purposely call him Cody cause 'hey hey, like Cody from Fast Forward, get it? huh? huh? GET IT?'.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:11 AM   #4
frank_one
Mad Scientist

His adopted daughter's name is Shadow so I would opt for something like Light, Bright, Sunrise, Soleil or other names that refer to the light or the sun.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:31 AM   #5
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:

Wasn't Casey a Junior already? Or was that something done during the 2k3 series?
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 10:42 AM   #6
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Raphie Jr.

Or maybe let's finally go ahead and make "Ralph" TMNT canon.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 10:57 AM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
Wasn't Casey a Junior already? Or was that something done during the 2k3 series?
I don't think there was anything about that in Mirage. His dad is Herb Jones, not Arnold.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 02-02-2022 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-02-2022, 04:23 PM   #8
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Wait a minute, Casey's name was never "Arnold Bernid Jones." His name was originally "Casey Bernid Jones" before eventually being retconned into "Arnold Casey Jones," which I'm pretty sure happened in Tales #56.

That said, I'm fairly certain he'd name his son Casey. No Jr., just Casey and Little Casey.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 04:28 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
Wait a minute, Casey's name was never "Arnold Bernid Jones." His name was originally "Casey Bernid Jones" before eventually being retconned into "Arnold Casey Jones," which I'm pretty sure happened in Tales #56.
Kind of. Clearly at some point Arnold only identified with his nickname, "Casey," and not Arnold. It'd be like if my name was Antoine Fuchelli but I really only ever answered to "Al." If I were to write my name, I would say it is "Al Fuchelli." "Arnold Casey Jones" works as long as you put quote marks around the Casey. Arnold "Casey" Jones is correct, but that doesn't mean "Bernid" goes anywhere.

Of course, I don't think "Arnold" Jones was even a thought until CAW. But it seems fairly compatible with everything else.
Old 02-02-2022, 04:44 PM   #10
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Kind of. Clearly at some point Arnold only identified with his nickname, "Casey," and not Arnold. It'd be like if my name was Antoine Fuchelli but I really only ever answered to "Al." If I were to write my name, I would say it is "Al Fuchelli." "Arnold Casey Jones" works as long as you put quote marks around the Casey. Arnold "Casey" Jones is correct, but that doesn't mean "Bernid" goes anywhere.

Of course, I don't think "Arnold" Jones was even a thought until CAW. But it seems fairly compatible with everything else.
I don't think that's quite correct. He was clearly referred to as "Casey Bernid Jones" in #11, and then as "Arnold Casey Jones" in Tales #56. It seems more likely that Casey really was his first name initially, and then this was retconned in order to have some synergy with the 2003 show, where his first name was Arnold and his middle name was Casey, something that subsequent versions seem to do as well. Plus, it makes more sense that he would go by Casey anyways if it was his middle name, since "Arnold Bernid Jones" has nothing in it that would sounds like Casey. I know sometimes nicknames are just words that have to do with their personality, but they're not usually just entirely different names.
Old 02-02-2022, 04:48 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I don't think that's quite correct. He was clearly referred to as "Casey Bernid Jones" in #11, and then as "Arnold Casey Jones" in Tales #56. It seems more likely that Casey really was his first name initially, and then this was retconned in order to have some synergy with the 2003 show, where his first name was Arnold and his middle name was Casey, something that subsequent versions seem to do as well. Plus, it makes more sense that he would go by Casey anyways if it was his middle name, since "Arnold Bernid Jones" has nothing in it that would sounds like Casey. I know sometimes nicknames are just words that have to do with their personality, but they're not usually just entirely different names.
No, I don't reckon Tristan Jones had the power to retcon any names so I'd wager Arnold "Casey" Bernid Jones stands. "Arnold Casey Jones" with Casey intended to be the middle name was most likely a mistake or an oversight on Steve Murphy's part proofreading Tristan's script, if anything. That was also the pocket of time when Laird wasn't even actively monitoring the book.
Old 02-02-2022, 04:53 PM   #12
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Quote:
No, I don't reckon Tristan Jones had the power to retcon any names so I'd wager Arnold "Casey" Bernid Jones stands. "Arnold Casey Jones" with Casey intended to be the middle name was most likely a mistake or an oversight on Steve Murphy's part of Tristan's script, if anything. That was also the pocket of time when Laird wasn't actively monitoring the book.
Well, I suppose there's really no way to 100% confirm either position, unless anyone happens to have a direct line to Laird or Murphy.
Old 02-02-2022, 04:55 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Well, I suppose there's really no way to 100% confirm either position, unless anyone happens to have a direct line to Laird or Murphy.
Laird, no. Murphy, yes... but he never remembers anything. I'll ask Tristan what he remembers, just for fun.
Old 02-02-2022, 05:38 PM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

If it were being written right now, their hypothetical child would choose their own name and gender independent from any parental suggestions or input.

After all, who are April and Casey to undermine their child's agency in such a way? Assigning a name or gender to a child is a form of child abuse, nothing more.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:03 PM   #15
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
If it were being written right now, their hypothetical child would choose their own name and gender independent from any parental suggestions or input.

After all, who are April and Casey to undermine their child's agency in such a way? Assigning a name or gender to a child is a form of child abuse, nothing more.
Sh!t man, don't give them ideas...
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:07 PM   #16
Leo656
The Franchise

You know that's how Campbell would write it.

Old 02-02-2022, 07:09 PM   #17
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

I mean... what even is Mirage April? Just a drawing brought to life because a frustrated artist tied a magical crystal to an ink pen.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:18 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I mean... what even is Mirage April? Just a drawing brought to life because a frustrated artist tied a magical crystal to an ink pen.
That's like saying "What even is this guy standing over there? Just a chance meeting of a sperm and an ovum."

I mean, same difference if the result is the same.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:21 PM   #19
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Sh*t like that is why I always have to chuckle whenever people hold up Mirage as the purest and most sacrosanct form of TMNT media.

Because while every iteration of TMNT has had some mind-numbingly stupid stuff, that right there is WAY up there on the "Y'all Smokin' Crack, Dawg" scale. Like, if you hate some of the FW stuff but can try and defend THAT, then your bias is showing.

I mean, the whole meta thing they were trying to do with it wasn't even clever or cute. "I mean, if you think about it... ALL these characters are just 'magical drawings brought to life by the power of imagination', right? Riiiight?!" Barf.

I'm calling it, that sh*t was one of Laird's acid flashbacks from his college days. Or maybe he did shrooms again for old times' sake and this was the result. Either way... not good.

Old 02-02-2022, 07:23 PM   #20
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It was rather tragic and triumphant at the same time. People are dumb.