Mad Scientist

TMNT #109 Preview and Discussion

First look:

Spoiler:
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:56 AM   #2
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Well, it's a start. Hopefully hob doesn't catch her or I think she'll have an "exclusive interview" on what it's like to be a mutant.

Last edited by lonewarrior20; 09-03-2020 at 10:19 AM.
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
ChosenOne
Banned

This looks very promising, I dig it.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:35 AM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

Looks interesting, but the Turtles wearing human clothes just doesn't work for me. Leo/Raph/Don/Mike should walk around naked 24/7...as they were intended in their natural forms!
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:54 AM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Looks interesting, but the Turtles wearing human clothes just doesn't work for me. Leo/Raph/Don/Mike should walk around naked 24/7...as they were intended in their natural forms!
Giving them clothes just changes the entire aesthetic and attitude, which ends up changing the characters for me.

It's a small thing if you think about it, and yet, it somehow has huge negative repercussions for me.

Is this what it was like with the nostrils for you?
Old 09-03-2020, 11:18 AM   #6
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

Looks nice, and maybe its me but when was the last time we saw actual daylight in the comic? I can't remember it.

Also i'm still hoping for Irma to make an appearance in this comic, have been hoping for years and i won't stop until she is revealed
Mexiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:35 AM   #7
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexiun View Post
Looks nice, and maybe its me but when was the last time we saw actual daylight in the comic? I can't remember it.

Also i'm still hoping for Irma to make an appearance in this comic, have been hoping for years and i won't stop until she is revealed
Irma sorta made an appearance in the first Ghostbusters crossover.
hypered1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:39 AM   #8
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexiun View Post

She was revealed already in a cameo! https://turtlepedia.fandom.com/wiki/...genstein_(IDW)

But I did ALMOST have this journalist be Irma, that was my first thought, but I ended up making it a new character because I thought it would be less jarring and wouldn't carry any expectations of her having a major role or anything. I do like Irma though so maybe she'll make an appearance at some point before I leave.
Sophie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:21 PM   #9
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
Irma sorta made an appearance in the first Ghostbusters crossover.
I'll definitely check that out! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie Campbell View Post
She was revealed already in a cameo! https://turtlepedia.fandom.com/wiki/...genstein_(IDW)

But I did ALMOST have this journalist be Irma, that was my first thought, but I ended up making it a new character because I thought it would be less jarring and wouldn't carry any expectations of her having a major role or anything. I do like Irma though so maybe she'll make an appearance at some point before I leave.
Oh thats pretty cool, i have read that issue so i guess i forgot.
Yeah the journalist actually made me wonder about Irma, she was always such a fun character.
I do understand not using her because of the expectations, most people have a very very strict set of rules for certain characters.
Mexiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:25 PM   #10
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Giving them clothes just changes the entire aesthetic and attitude, which ends up changing the characters for me.
Like you I'm not a fan of the turtles wearing clothes just for the sake of it, but this is not the case. Here we are seeing the turtles in a new situation: they're not fighting, they are not escaping, they're not in danger. They are trying to live a normal life and so they wear clothes, like people.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:26 PM   #11
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Like you I'm not a fan of the turtles wearing clothes just for the sake of it, but this is not the case. Here we are seeing the turtles in a new situation: they're not fighting, they are not escaping, they're not in danger. They are trying to live a normal life and so they wear clothes, like people.
Not to mention they're trying to make the newly-mutated humans feel relatively normal despite the circumstances. At a time like this, that means meeting them halfway and wearing clothes like they do.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:47 PM   #12
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Irma and Burne both made cameos. Also, I thought that the woman on the very first panel of the preview was Irma again.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:11 PM   #13
Jazzfox
Thug

Once again I return for a new issue on the stands =D

I'm glad to see the next issue so quickly and also super happy to see Sophie's art and handiwork in the pages once more~ Lita looks damn adorable here, if only makes me feel just all the worse seeing how upset she gets at the reporter D=

I can't believe I missed out the Irma cameo previously! Completely forgot that even happened and need to now go back and find her again, had just been thinking recently on her <<

The only thing that really sticks out to me here is seeing the TV so readily working in the Turtles home, I know Donny and Mona got the electricity running, but makes me wonder if all of Mutant Town has working amenities now or not

Like, they're talking about not knowing anything going on in Mutant Town, but, is the computer up and running also? Cellphones? I'd have imagined that Stockman would have had dampeners or signal scramblers or cut all the communications and cables and such to stop folks reaching the outside world or hearing what he has planned next for them =o

Bubbles in my head I wanna know about, but afraid to pop them if I prod too much, lol

Another one I wanna know is if anyone at any point is gonna bring up a joke about the fact that Lita and Mike are wearing plumbers overalls whilst being turtles, would need the cap to complete the joke, but still!

And just going by the solicits and this being the one that delves right into Mutant Town, I'm looking forward to seeing which members of the town get the spotlight alongside the turtles =D

(Please excuse any long time in replies, sometimes offline for long periods!)
Jazzfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #14
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzfox View Post
I'm glad to see the next issue so quickly and also super happy to see Sophie's art and handiwork in the pages once more~ Lita looks damn adorable here, if only makes me feel just all the worse seeing how upset she gets at the reporter D=
Jodi Nishijima is the artist!
Sophie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:44 PM   #15
Jazzfox
Thug

Graaaaaaaaaah, don't know how I made that mistake

Apologies to you and Jodi on me mixing that one up <_<

Old 09-08-2020, 03:54 PM   #16
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

i like the alternate cover with them playing stickball.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
Old 09-09-2020, 04:06 PM   #17
Jazzfox
Thug

Welp!

Once again the rug gets pulled out under me, lol, I was expecting a one and done, but just like that, the final page hits and I'm back to waiting until next issue! Or, at least a few issues now it looks like to see where things go next!

In fact, being very different from what I expected sums up the issue as a whole =o The stories were listed from the solicit as being interconnected, but reading the issue felt like a single story more than the three separate stories

One hand that's good, cohesion and all, makes the issue flow faster and quicker, but on the other hand, I was hoping maybe to have more variety from the stories to spread out and really go wild

As is, I got a bunch of answers certainly from topics on the previous issues and even from yesterday's post I made! Like my thoughts on the internet availability and whatnot, looks like Donnie's on the case, although I wonder how long that things'll be allowed there with Mikey reaching out how he does

I was also pleasantly surprised by Lita and her treatment =o It feels like she's actually pretty mature for her age, how well she caught Lola's vibe and brought it up with Mikey about not even asking his name, made me reflect a little at last issue too on how quick she picked up on the Turtles 'dealing' with the eel creature

It feels like as we're learning more on her, more questions are popping up in my head about where Lita may well have came from, we already have the reveal a few issues back of a possible future for Lita, I wasn't sure, but I'm happy to say that as is, I'm happy that she's growing well on me as well as on the pages!

There's a lot I love overall, little moments splashed into the story like seeing the broadcast from the different characters like Bandit and Puggle again, I think pretty near everyone in the main comic got a look in from there

As well, I just have to love the one mutant canine at the school who had Happy Tail syndrome at getting some internet back, lol, in fact, that whole panel just jumped out at me as appreciating the small things, feels plenty relatable with a lot of what's going on

I guess the only part I felt that lagged a little compared to the others was Jennika's chapter of the story, if only because it revealed Diamond right at the start instead of obscuring her from sight or keeping her hidden, it kind of telegraphed everything that followed, although I did like the recovery from Jennika trying to deal with that fallout and that lil hug there with Lita

Also nice to see Sheena beyond the stage

Aaaaaaand I can't end this without talking art, especially after my goof yesterday, I really liked how everything turned out there, characters, expressions and such alike, after yesterday I went and quickly hit the google button and saw Jodi had made one of the Jennika Mini bonus stories art, went back and compared and Jodi really upped their game for this issue it felt!

If Jodi's on for the next few issues I look forward to seeing more!

Sad to read in the ninja notes that Last Ronin may be delayed until October late, but, once again, feels like a common thing about now, and if something's worth doing right, it's worth waiting for, will keep my eyes and ears peeled more on that front!

Old 09-09-2020, 05:20 PM   #18
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzfox View Post
Sad to read in the ninja notes that Last Ronin may be delayed until October late, but, once again, feels like a common thing about now, and if something's worth doing right, it's worth waiting for, will keep my eyes and ears peeled more on that front!
Currently the first two issues of Ronin are slated for release on October 28th an December 16th respectively.
hypered1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #19
ChosenOne
Banned

The clothes thing has me really thrown off, which Turtle was that at the end?
Old 09-09-2020, 06:44 PM   #20
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
The clothes thing has me really thrown off, which Turtle was that at the end?
i believe it was leo from the scar on his eye. also i gotta say it "i've seen enough hentai to know where this is going." i liked it. i think donnie really is falling for the "school marm" i wonder if he's going to try and build a time machine out of a junky car. then again maybe we'll get to see donnies bill nye side.

also that alternate cover reminded me of this.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics