The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 12-10-2016, 05:29 PM   #61
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Karai's voice acting is also really well done and sells her character. In 4kids it felt too much like the VA was putting on this fake Japanese accent.
I can't help but wonder if Karai grew up in Japan or the US. It would explain her lack of a Japanese accent for this version if it's the latter.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:29 PM   #62
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Overall, I'm cool with it.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #63
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I can't help but wonder if Karai grew up in Japan or the US. It would explain her lack of a Japanese accent for this version if it's the latter.
Shredder may have moved to New York directly after killing Tang Shen and defeating Splinter.

Don't even American raised Japanese kids speak with a little bit of accent though?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:53 PM   #64
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Shredder may have moved to New York directly after killing Tang Shen and defeating Splinter.

Don't even American raised Japanese kids speak with a little bit of accent though?
Not really. People usually sound like those in the area they grew up in.

I was born in New York, but grew up in Virginia. My parents moved when I was still 2, going on 3. My folks said I had an accent but soon faded since I was in a different environment.

Edit: Another example. I had a student here who's Korean. She (4th grade) and her sister (2nd). They'd been living in Korea but was on break from school and they had to attend some kind of school since in Japan with relatives. Both had grown up in the US (Hawaii and California) and because of their father's job, they were now residing in Korea, except for those months where they were in Japan. Both sounded like they were from the US, especially Californian. So yeah, people generally adapt the vernacular and pronunciation of what's around them, especially if young.

Last edited by ssjup81; 12-10-2016 at 06:03 PM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:55 PM   #65
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronardo View Post
I agree these writers need to learn how to write a character without using mutation as a crutch, but dammit, Shredder is actually really well-written all throughout the show.

When you first see him, he's deadly, he's unstoppable, it seems like nobody can beat him. He always had a sense of power over anyone he faces. But around The Invasion, he began to slip. As a result of Karai's mutation, he lets his emotions get in the way of his actions, which is strange seeing as how he's normally a very emotionless, cold being. (Which, imo, is the only good thing to come out of that mutation)..
I don't know Shredder has always been crazy, in season 1 he wanted a mutant army and if that doesn't sound crazy enough he allied himself with the Krang you know the alien species that wanted the destruction of the human race. Also I never consider the Nick Shredder to be emotionless he was pretty much an angry dude pretty since the beginning I neab sure you can argue that his rage was a little more controlled but I would't use the word emotionless to describe season 1 Nick Shredder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronardo View Post
As Season 3 continues on and we learn more about his past, you can see him dwindling in mental health. It's almost as if he's a good man stuck in the decisions of a hateful one, and he knows it, and has to live with the consequences. Until he sacrifices the entire world just to have his revenge on Yoshi.

Or, at least, that's what he was going to do, which is still pretty insane. As a last-ditch effort, and as a way to show he's gone batsh*t insane, Shredder, a man who has always been power-hungry as we clearly saw throughout the show, mutates himself to become even more powerful. And, if the show is going the direction I think it's going, his lust for power will indeed be his downfall
Again I never saw Shredder as a good man I mean the reason why he betrayed the Hamato Clan was because said clan killed a family who he never met(and yes I know Japan has strong values towards families and ancestors but come on at least Sasuke knew his family before Itachi killed them) and that Tang Shen preferred Yoshi's D over his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarris Vaal View Post

How do the people of the Drome feel generally about the other Nick variants? Karai for example I thought was probably one of her best versions of any iteration (certainly so prior to her mutation). I also really liked Slash and Leatherhead in the Nick series. How do others feel they compare?
Well I definitely l prefer this Karai over her 2k3 version, the Nick Karai is more interesting in terms of backstory and personality while the 2k3 one was bland and had that "honor" crap that annoyed the hell out of me. Nick Slash is the best animated version but there isn't much of a contest and I prefer 2k3 Leatherhead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
The girl is an international ninja she probably knows how do a number of accents.

Last edited by PApagreg; 12-10-2016 at 07:07 PM.
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
april o'neil