Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 09-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #41
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Forever War

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Laird has stated profusely that he "doesn't hate" either Archie and the Old Toon. However, since they aren't a part of "his vision", he will never include them in the New Toon outside of cameos and in-jokes. One of the pitches for proto-Back to the Sewers was for the series to incorporate lots of Archie and Old Toon characters, but Laird swiftly shot it down.

Quite frankly, it's a miracle beyond miracles we're getting the Forever War next year.
What will the Forever War be about?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:15 PM   #42
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by J 1982 View Post
What will the Forever War be about?
It's going to be the concluding chapter to TMNT Adventures that was canned back in the day due to editorial disagreements between Brown, Murphy, Allan and the Archie bigwigs (the Archie guys thought the book was getting too violent, the Mirage guys wanted to stay the course, their differences were irreconcilable and so the book was killed).
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:50 AM   #43
Overlord

Too violent?

Quote:
It's going to be the concluding chapter to TMNT Adventures that was canned back in the day due to editorial disagreements between Brown, Murphy, Allan and the Archie bigwigs (the Archie guys thought the book was getting too violent, the Mirage guys wanted to stay the course, their differences were irreconcilable and so the book was killed).
Too violent? Watch the 1987 cartoon if you want more fun and less violence. Archie was cool and good stories, but not just a lot of violence just because of the violence (which I suspect some read Mirage because of).
Old 09-28-2008, 05:16 AM   #44
PAAATE
Stone Warrior

Quote:
but not just a lot of violence just because of the violence (which I suspect some read Mirage because of).
Now, that's just not fair ;(

I admit, I do like a lot of violence in fiction, but never unless there's a good story to back it up
Old 09-28-2008, 05:23 AM   #45
Overlord

Some people

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAAATE View Post
Now, that's just not fair ;(

I admit, I do like a lot of violence in fiction, but never unless there's a good story to back it up
I said some people, not everybody.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:47 AM   #46
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Laird has stated profusely that he "doesn't hate" either Archie and the Old Toon. However, since they aren't a part of "his vision", he will never include them in the New Toon outside of cameos and in-jokes. One of the pitches for proto-Back to the Sewers was for the series to incorporate lots of Archie and Old Toon characters, but Laird swiftly shot it down.

Quite frankly, it's a miracle beyond miracles we're getting the Forever War next year.
I believe the reason he turned down that particular pitch was that it was a reboot of sorts taking characters from different realities complete with Splinter being Hamato Yoshi transformed into a rat. He just didn't like that idea.

I'm guessing by you putting "doesn't hate" the Archie comic in inverted commas you think that he's either not being honest or doesn't like it. I can see why people think that given his vocal dissaproval of the OT but it seems to mostly stem from fans misinterpreting a comment on here by Murphy who even clarified that Laird doen't dislike TMNT Adventures.

Even if people missed him saying he liked the Archie books or that if the OT turned out like them he wouldn't have had a problem with it, surely fans of the series can look at plenty of the covers and look who drew them, we know he had some creative involvement with the series, hell we've even recently seen his initial Armaggon design. Back in the day he even wanted to do a crossover between the Mirage and Archie turtles.

The fact that he's reunited the team of "Clarrain" and Allen to do issues of Tales speaks for itself. Trust me if Laird didn't want to publish the Forever war, he wouldn't.

I would agree we are lucky to be getting it, but for other reasons.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:31 AM   #47
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
I'm guessing by you putting "doesn't hate" the Archie comic in inverted commas you think that he's either not being honest or doesn't like it. I can see why people think that given his vocal dissaproval of the OT but it seems to mostly stem from fans misinterpreting a comment on here by Murphy who even clarified that Laird doen't dislike TMNT Adventures.
I put "doesn't hate" in quotations because Laird never says that he "liked" the Old Toon or the Archive comic, but that he "doesn't hate" it, which always leaves me with the impression that he feels apathetic toward those continuities at best.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #48
Overlord

Continue

Quote:
I hope Archie will be a success again and continue.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:28 AM   #49
odupianist
Mad Scientist

Kudos to VM for a witty title and great reference in the thread title
odupianist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #50
Overlord

Villains

Archie had many cool villains (like Armaggon, Verminator X) and a more deadly Slash than the 1987 cartoon.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #51
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by odupianist View Post
Kudos to VM for a witty title and great reference in the thread title
hah thank you
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:06 PM   #52
Overlord

Hamato Yoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
I believe the reason he turned down that particular pitch was that it was a reboot of sorts taking characters from different realities complete with Splinter being Hamato Yoshi transformed into a rat. He just didn't like that idea.

Even if people missed him saying he liked the Archie books or that if the OT turned out like them he wouldn't have had a problem with it, surely fans of the series can look at plenty of the covers and look who drew them, we know he had some creative involvement with the series, hell we've even recently seen his initial Armaggon design. Back in the day he even wanted to do a crossover between the Mirage and Archie turtles.

The fact that he's reunited the team of "Clarrain" and Allen to do issues of Tales speaks for itself. Trust me if Laird didn't want to publish the Forever war, he wouldn't.

I would agree we are lucky to be getting it, but for other reasons.
But who came with the idea of Splinter being Hamato Yoshi for the 1987 cartoon? I think killing Hamato Yoshi off would be to violent for a 1980's cartoon.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #53
ToTheNines
[sic]

I never knew, you guys are smart.

Quote:
Archie had many cool villains (like Armaggon, Verminator X) and a more deadly Slash than the 1987 cartoon.
Dude what does that have to do with anything.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #54
Roseangelo
Emperor

Finally dug out the old interview with "Dean Clarrain," Ryan Brown, and Dan Berger.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:01 PM   #55
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Holy sh*t, I had no idea he was him.

Next we're going to find out "Tristan Jones" is really Peter Laird.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #56
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Anyone have a picture of recent Murph?

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:08 PM   #57
Roseangelo
Emperor

Who needs a recent pic? How about Butter Dog, which was obviously from the same photo shoot.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #58
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I wasn't doubting...just wanted to see how much he'd changed.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:13 PM   #59
Roseangelo
Emperor

Here's the best I could find quicky:

Old 10-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #60
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

In that picture he bears a slight resemblance to Kevin...

Tags
archie comics, steve murphy