The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 12-03-2021, 08:29 PM   #2221
IMJ
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The Clayface that appeared in the Nightwing annual was referred to as Preston, as in Preston Payne. He has to wear a containment suit and is the one Clayface who cannot shape-shift. What is up with that?
You should read the Mudpack arc from 'Tec some decades back. It was a good arc and had gorgeous, gorgeous Breyfogle art. I love that guy's work.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:01 PM   #2222
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
You should read the Mudpack arc from 'Tec some decades back. It was a good arc and had gorgeous, gorgeous Breyfogle art. I love that guy's work.
I own them. Detective Comics#604-607.

I also have Matt Hagen, Preston Payne, and Sondra Fuller's 1st appearances.

The Nightwing annual presented a Clayface, but Dick referred to him as 'Preston'. Preston is the one Clayface that cannot shape-shift. Am I missing something in the current continuity?

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 12-03-2021 at 09:27 PM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:12 PM   #2223
IMJ
Foot Elite

DC continuity is a mess.... everytime they try to fix it, it only confounds things. The DC Nightwing wiki hasn't had any helpful updates to that particular book yet because it's so new....

Was hoping for a Preston Payne link there.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:26 PM   #2224
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
DC continuity is a mess.... everytime they try to fix it, it only confounds things. The DC Nightwing wiki hasn't had any helpful updates to that particular book yet because it's so new....

I am aware that Basil Karlo was reformed by Tynion for a Batfamily run on Detective Comics though I don't know why Basil reformed.

Considering the 1st Mirror Master was revived for no reason after he was successfully replaced I expected Hagen may return from the beyond considering current circumstances.
Old 12-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #2225
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Justice League: Last Ride

I highly recommend picking up all seven issues of this, it's a great book, Chip Zdarsky is fast becoming one of the most treasured writers in the industry. He's very much the anti-Tom King, as King often starts with optimistic status quos then callously deconstructs them, Zdarsky is the opposite, taking tragic circumstances and forging hopeful stories out of them by the end.

It's definitely worth a read if you're a Hal fan too.

Just brilliant character work, and absolutely zero wokery.
I got a deal from my LCS, the owner gave me the whole set of 7 issues for $21. I do like it so thanks. Not much to like out there these days. A couple of Ninja Turtles indirect inspirations were in the fourth issue. First Darkseid's plan in the past was to teleport nuclear devices to Earth. It seems Zdarksky was inspired by General Blaque's plan in Mirage's TMNT vol. 1. Also, in that issue Wonder Woman's last line of dialogue before charging forward was 'The Justice League....never bluffs!' which made me think of Shredder's iconic line in 'Get Shredder'.

One problem I had with it though was Brainiac is possessing Cyborg Superman, but there is no indication other him referring to Superman by his birth name, Kal-el'. Otherwise its Cyborg Superman. It just seemed like a way of throwing in another villain lazily.

I also noted that while the case is condensed to Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman Flash (Wally West), and two Green Lanterns Hal primarily and Jon secondly. Aquaman is missing. I understand he is hard to write for, but still he is missing. Or at least had Hawkman involved, it just seemed like one or two more could have been included beyond four heroes and two GLs. I was pleased to see Wally as Flash while Hal is the primarily focused Green Lantern. I always liked Hal in the center backed up by John.

It also reads better reading it all at the same time instead of dragged out for six months. Especially considering the non-stop action and picking up right where the previous issue left off. I benefitted from the wait.

If you have not picked up Deep Target yet maybe that approach will work better for your reading experience as The Last Ride was for me reading it all at the same time. I am an actual issue person, but if you prefer you can do the trade paperback.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:05 AM   #2226
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:

I checked the link that you provided again looking to see if it had been updated. It had, but it presented this as Payne's first appearance. That is not true, but it is his first appearance with the ability to shape shift. Must be an editorial goof not knowing the Clayfaces apart from one another and knowledge of each's current status.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:26 AM   #2227
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Well, for DCAU fans, today's Justice League Infinity finally looks set to fully resolve a plot thread left dangling from JLU's conclusion

The League are subjected to an hallucination by the anti-life counterpart to Amazo where they are gradually picked off, Shayera's wings are clipped and she's seemingly murdered, which devastates John. He's narrating the whole issue and he comes to realize no matter how much he denied it, he'll always love her more than Vixen. Vixen realizes this too.

Never thought they'd go with an actual explanation for how John and Shay get back together to ensure the Beyond timeline happens, I always thought it was a brave choice to leave it to open-ended in the show

TMNT Fan Script Discussion Thread

Add Your Story to the TMNT Fanfiction Wiki

Buy me a Coffee and support my quest to put together a Spider-Man comics project

https://ko-fi.com/zarius37186
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:42 AM   #2228
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I never liked the idea that the pairing was meant to be because they both had definitive loves Hawkgirl with Hawkman and John Stewart with Katma Tui.

Any suggestions on my comic filing questions?

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 12-07-2021 at 09:20 AM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:18 AM   #2229
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
I never liked the idea that the pairing was meant to be because they both had definitive loves Hawkgirl with Hawkman and John Stewart with Katma Tui.
I prefer Shay with Carter in the comics, but the pairing with John was good for the show. I liked her big sister relationship with Wally too.

Buy me a Coffee and support my quest to put together a Spider-Man comics project

Old 12-07-2021, 10:26 AM   #2230
sdp
doomer

Who even takes comic continuity serious anymore, we're in the 2020s now, these characters will be forever rebooted to be young in their sliding timeline, rinse and repeat every 8 years or so to keep things status quo.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:30 AM   #2231
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I prefer Shay with Carter in the comics, but the pairing with John was good for the show. I liked her big sister relationship with Wally too.
I also wished she put the helmet back on or did a costume redesign after breaking away from Thanagar. Seeing her in a white tank top after never taking off the helmet until the end of Wildcards doesn't feel right. I understand that it shows she chose Earth over her people but she needs a costume.

Also, do you see Hro Talak reincarnated as Carter Hall the Hawkgirl fanboy/archeologist?
Old 12-07-2021, 12:26 PM   #2232
ZariusTwo
Overlord

George Perez has been diagnosed with stage 3 pancreatic cancer and has six months to a year left to live

https://twitter.com/BittrScrptReadr/...62976838778880

Quote:
I also wished she put the helmet back on or did a costume redesign after breaking away from Thanagar. Seeing her in a white tank top after never taking off the helmet until the end of Wildcards doesn't feel right. I understand that it shows she chose Earth over her people but she needs a costume.
No way, she looks hot without the helmet/costume

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Who even takes comic continuity serious anymore.
Marvel have more of a problem with it than DC I feel, they don't 'reboot' but the sliding timescale makes characters routinely younger and a bit dumber, and they either tease a major stint of growth, only to walk back on it. DC don't really do that despite the recent reboots, their characters all keep moving in a forwards direction even if they stumble.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 12-07-2021 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-07-2021, 01:01 PM   #2233
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
George Perez has been diagnosed with stage 3 pancreatic cancer and has six months to a year left to live

https://twitter.com/BittrScrptReadr/...62976838778880

No way, she looks hot without the helmet/costume

Marvel have more of a problem with it than DC I feel, they don't 'reboot' but the sliding timescale makes characters routinely younger and a bit dumber, and they either tease a major stint of growth, only to walk back on it. DC don't really do that despite the recent reboots, their characters all keep moving in a forwards direction even if they stumble.
George Prez is dying? I know he stopped working because of his health taking a hit, but not fatal. My grandfather was diagnosed with stage 4 of the same kind of cancer and succumbed despite treatments 14 months later, earlier this year. Maybe Prez can last longer since its a stage less severe maybe even overcome altogether. I admire his art even if he is below GarcĂ­a-Lopez, Adams, and Ross he is still elite.

Its not about being hot, but about fitting the character. Hawkgirl was always my least favorite character of them and I always defend her lack of use in the Satellite era.
Old 12-07-2021, 02:38 PM   #2234
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
George Prez is dying? I know he stopped working because of his health taking a hit, but not fatal. My grandfather was diagnosed with stage 4 of the same kind of cancer and succumbed despite treatments 14 months later, earlier this year.
My condolences friend, I hope it wasn't too painful for him

Quote:
Its not about being hot, but about fitting the character.
I think her unmasked/tank top look fit her character very well, at least for how it was developing her more in the show.

Old 12-07-2021, 05:56 PM   #2235
Leo656
The Franchise

That's awful about George Perez. One of the all-time greats for sure. What a shame.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:19 PM   #2236
IMJ
Foot Elite

Quote:
I checked the link that you provided again looking to see if it had been updated. It had, but it presented this as Payne's first appearance. That is not true, but it is his first appearance with the ability to shape shift. Must be an editorial goof not knowing the Clayfaces apart from one another and knowledge of each's current status.
People do weird things on that Wiki. Maybe it was his first appearance in the current DC continuity. I don't agree with annotating it like that, but people process information strangely in this hobby.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:21 PM   #2237
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
My condolences friend, I hope it wasn't too painful for him

I think her unmasked/tank top look fit her character very well, at least for how it was developing her more in the show.
It was tough in that he like some elders do remarried for company and got 32 months with her. He was the last of my grandparents and I failed to marry before they all passed. He was 85.

I read the updated article. I suspect the health decline that Prez was experiencing was related to the cancer. My grandfather well into a sudden fever and had chills. Thought he had a bad case of the flu, but it was pancreatic cancer. It's sad that he is not fighting it. I guess it would be sooner even a stage less. He was perhaps the first artist who successfully transitioned into double duty scripting his own stories.

I wonder where his last show will be. I do have his autograph on a Whitman variant of DCCP#26 though I never met him myself.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:24 PM   #2238
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
People do weird things on that Wiki. Maybe it was his first appearance in the current DC continuity. I don't agree with annotating it like that, but people process information strangely in this hobby.
Yeah, like how Justice League of America#1(2011) is the first appearance of the characters. I pissed off a guy on the old dccomics.com message board by insisting that Batman's first appearance was in Detective Comics#27 NOT Justice League of America#1 (2011). Historically not continuity, duh.

So, can I assume due to Basil Karlo being depicted as reformed that instead of reviving Matt Hagen, Preston Payne was introduced for the first time since the 2016 soft-reboot and Tom Taylor was given permission to make him malleable like all the others in order to keep Karlo reformed and Hagen dead?
Old 12-08-2021, 08:00 AM   #2239
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

This goes to anyone though I know Leo and I talked about it earlier, what are the highlights of Wally West's volume of Flash? I was wondering if there was anything I should read that I might have missed. I don't want every issue, just the highlights. I have around 40 issues of the volume.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:08 PM   #2240
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Rushing the Titans in. Thoughts on the mini-series?
https://comic-watch.com/news/sneak-p...-on-sale-12-14

Tags
batman, bendis, dc comics, superman, wonder woman