The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-03-2008, 11:27 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's a little confusing as well why Jim is having to tackle Tales full-time -- and if the opportunity is there, I get that he should absolutely should lunge at it -- when... Volume 4 is full-steam ahead again?

I thought the idea behind him being given Tales core issues was because Volume 4 was on hiatus. It's not anymore.

And we were told (as well as the creators out there) that Tales was to be a showcase for new and up-and-coming talent. I mean, what is it? Is it a money issue? I have to imagine it is, but I can almost guarantee you, if a call was sent out about: "Hey, budding writers and artists, you want to be published? We won't pay you -- unless your work sells gangbusters and we want to bring you back for an encore -- but you'll get published and get your foot in the door" you'd get innundated with submissions.

If it literally just boils down to a march of dimes for Jim Lawson... I love the guy, I appreciate what he's brought to the Turtles (again, he has pencilled the single TMNT comic with art I love the absolute most, more than even K&P or Farley or Dooney issues), and he's absolutely the guy I want to see on Volume 4... but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here, folks.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:04 AM   #22
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo83 View Post
Hey, I just thought - they way Raph dispatched that Foot soldier kid was very reminiscent of the cover to #36. Wonder if that was
Spoiler:
Tomi
?
Hey Mich'83 - Sorry mate, while the link is cool, the stories are set at different times. The moment of the cover to issue 36 is "seen" in City at War, right after a clansman fires the rocket launcher at the car (I can't recall the issue off the top of my head), which occurs in both CAW and 36. Dan came up with this gem independently. If you have another look, this battle occurs on a rooftop too, whereas the one in 36 is on the streets - you'd also have to have a passed out cop lying nearby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's a little confusing as well why Jim is having to tackle Tales full-time -- and if the opportunity is there, I get that he should absolutely should lunge at it -- when... Volume 4 is full-steam ahead again?

I thought the idea behind him being given Tales core issues was because Volume 4 was on hiatus. It's not anymore.

And we were told (as well as the creators out there) that Tales was to be a showcase for new and up-and-coming talent. I mean, what is it? Is it a money issue? I have to imagine it is, but I can almost guarantee you, if a call was sent out about: "Hey, budding writers and artists, you want to be published? We won't pay you -- unless your work sells gangbusters and we want to bring you back for an encore -- but you'll get published and get your foot in the door" you'd get innundated with submissions.

If it literally just boils down to a march of dimes for Jim Lawson... I love the guy, I appreciate what he's brought to the Turtles (again, he has pencilled the single TMNT comic with art I love the absolute most, more than even K&P or Farley or Dooney issues), and he's absolutely the guy I want to see on Volume 4... but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here, folks.
Andrew - If I recall correctly, there were three issues solicited at the time the flagship title went on hiatus - 29,30 and 31. Jim had already finished work on those issues (I'm prrrrretty sure...), but Pete hadn't finished the scripts. Now that he's come back to it, I think what the deal was was that now that Pete has worked out where he wants to go with it, he's reworking the scripts to go in that direction. That could be essentially the same as what it was originally going to be, but I'm sure that, having had time to think about it more, some things might have changed in some ways. So at the moment, Pete's working on (amongst a huge amount of other things) the scripts for Vol.4, and as he's doing that, Jim is working Tales.

I know that the next few months of Tales are a bit all over the place in terms of artists. Jim is doing 47,48,49, Paul is doing 50, Dario Brizuela is working 52 and I think Dan is on 51. Kennon James, who did the pinup on #45 is pencilling a back-up story I wrote for issue 48 too.

Beyond that, I have no idea, and as for the questions regarding pay and the like, I'm really not at liberty to say. I just write and hope everyone enjoys. I think questions regarding Tales and the flagship book would be better answered by Pete or Dan, as they're the guys in the know, and now that Pete's opened his blog, it's the best opportunity for you guys to interact and ask these things since the letter columns!
Old 06-05-2008, 01:00 AM   #23
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

But isn't there like a big question mark over the future of Tales after this year?
Old 06-05-2008, 08:42 AM   #24
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Okay, just finished it. I stuck it between Vol. 1 #56 and #57 in the timeline since that seemed the most appropriate place (unless someone knows a better one).

The issue was indeed pretty "meh" on story. It all lead up to Tomi getting stuck by Raph, which would have been an okay twist of irony if, you know, they hadn't plastered that climax all over the cover.

It honestly didn't really "feel" like a City at War story, but more of a random "TMNT fight Foot Soldiers" story which we get here and there.

And these bait and switches with the frontispieces are infuriating. We get a gorgeous, GORGEOUS frontispiece by quite possibly THE TMNT artist, Michael Dooney...and then the rest of the issue is the usual Lawson mess.

I know Lawson is gonna be the one and only Tales guy for the forseeable future, I've made piece with that, but damn the monotony.

On a side note, that back page pin-up, "The Hole", was pretty cool. Evil spiky Slash-like Turtles from another dimension? I'd read it.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #25
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
On a side note, that back page pin-up, "The Hole", was pretty cool. Evil spiky Slash-like Turtles from another dimension? I'd read it.
Me also consider that artist Mark Martin has worked with Mirage in the past, and is long over due to do somehting new!
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #26
discordiatookie
facehugger

Top notch issue! I liked! I've said before, and i'll keep saying - I love Lawson's art. And I must say that I preferred the inking in the last issue to this one... go figure.

The only thing I don't enjoy about Tales these days is the non-appearance of the letters page. Wish it would return, I love them letters! But I dig that Dan B is quite a busy individual...

And that pin-up. Awesomeness. Mark Martin's stuff is amazing - I love his vol 1 work...

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:37 AM   #27
jerome
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by discordiatookie View Post
Top notch issue! I liked! I've said before, and i'll keep saying - I love Lawson's art. And I must say that I preferred the inking in the last issue to this one... go figure.

The only thing I don't enjoy about Tales these days is the non-appearance of the letters page. Wish it would return, I love them letters! But I dig that Dan B is quite a busy individual...

And that pin-up. Awesomeness. Mark Martin's stuff is amazing - I love his vol 1 work...
I also miss the letters page...where and why did they go?
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:50 PM   #28
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome View Post
I also miss the letters page...where and why did they go?
Dan told no one was writting in or at least not enough people, so he told the artists to do more pages for the story since the letters page was not worth having in the comics.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:39 PM   #29
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Loved this issue! It seemed to be set near the end of CAW since April has returned from California. Tomi should have listened to his mother...just one vicious cycle after another. *shakes head*...
Old 06-07-2008, 06:06 PM   #30
Scandia
Mad Scientist

I liked this one. Lawson's art style prevents it from getting too gritty and grim.

The cover was a major spoiler, though. They needed to have one that would result in the ending being more surprising and less predictable.

Turtles fight with honor!!!
Scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:04 PM   #31
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandia View Post
Lawson's art style prevents it from getting too gritty and grim.
Wasn't that, tonally, what the story was going for?

It's like watching a war movie about Omaha Beach, and saying, "I liked the movie, the cinematography prevented it from getting too bleak or dismal." I mean, what?
Old 06-09-2008, 08:43 AM   #32
Duke
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Okay, just finished it. I stuck it between Vol. 1 #56 and #57 in the timeline since that seemed the most appropriate place (unless someone knows a better one).
Dan states it takes place around issue #51 in an interview.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:24 PM   #33
odupianist
Mad Scientist

I got this issue today. Not too shabby. Nice to see some Foot vs TMNT action again. It wasn't a jump out at you issue, but still good none the less. Granted, as Spengs said, the cover did kind of give this issue away unfortunately. I hate to do this, but Dan's gotta be wrong. I just went thru the synopsi of the CAW arc on ninjaturtles.com (mainly cause I don't have my issues at work). April's nowhere close to being home in NYC by #51. Heck, according to the synopsis, April isn't back in NYC until #58. So DrSpengler, I'd even go as far as to say that Tales #46 goes between #58 and 59 or even later. Thoughts?
odupianist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:32 AM   #34
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Finally got my hands on it while on vacation. One of my first (second possible vause I own one of the CAW issues) taste of REAL TMNT comics. Yeah, Lawson's art style takes time to get used to, especially with the humans, but it's still detailed enough to look sorta cool.

It was a nice little tale. Kinda like the life of a gang member just starting out. He might not be an all-out evil guy, just joining for kicks or whatever and BAM he gets shot down first night out. Same goes for the Foot. There are so many of them, we don't even know where they come from or why the join the Clan. We got to hear one guy's tale, and his tragic end. It was a cool story. Always interesting to see it from the other side, ya'know?
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comic discussion, tales of the tmnt