The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Fan Creations > Fan Works Discussion

Notices

Old 09-01-2017, 02:08 PM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

What happened to all TMNT fansites?

During the mid and late-1990's and early-2000's, there were many TMNT fansites, most of them by young people in their mid-late teens and early-20's who had TMNT as a childhood memory.

These had fanfiction, fanart, humour and links.

Today, some of them remain (like "latest update: 27 May 2004" or something), and only a few (like Jephael) are still updated. New fans don't create many.

What happened with them? Did they die out with the private websites being replaced with blogs (later replaced with social media)?

I know there are websites for fanfiction, but you can always do a link.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:06 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Many sites. The Ring of Green. It's apparently still in existence... http://hub.entertainmentrings.com/hub/tmnt#.WanLkLKGNhF

Even Mikey's TMNT is gone.

My favorite site back in the day was Under Manhattan. Does anyone remember that?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:39 PM   #3
Powder
So tired of this place

I'm glad I scoured them for (official) content before they were all lost to time.

That said, I can't say I miss many of them, if any. Mikey's TMNT, maybe. It was one of the cooler sites, though I can't remember if I had an account or just lurked.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:51 PM   #4
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

When Geocities wiped out the personal sites a few years back, you lost a TON of great fansites...
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:08 PM   #5
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Probably not the correct location to ask the question so I apologize in advance. But what's the story with this? Is it a section of the drome I am not aware of? Who created it? I like how they started collecting various images of the turtles and the other various characters.

http://tcplanet.thetechnodrome.com/Crew_profiles.html
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:02 AM   #6
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Interest in TMNT has probably diminished a lot in recent years. People mostly see it as more of a kids franchise.
That, along with the fact that the internet has changed quite a bit over the years (with places like Facebook and Reddit existing where you can discuss things more easily) have probably led to fansites being unnecessary/obsolete in this modern day and age.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:45 AM   #7
Overlord

I hope for Cowabunga Corner update soon.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:16 AM   #8
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Yeah, you lost a lot of sites after Geocities wiped out. I definitely miss Mikey's, but Stealthy Stories is still going strong and is a good place for fanfiction writers and other fans to come together. That and TMNT-L are the only other fansites I go to besides this one. Other than that, I usually just go to FF.Net for my fan fiction fix when I feel like it.

And as others said, with the advent of Facebook and even Tumblr, you don't really need fansites anymore because you can just make groups on those sites. I also liked GreenWillow's site too.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:37 AM   #9
Overlord

These fansites would probably die out even without Geocities closing down.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:50 PM   #10
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Very true, but it's still sad to think they're gone.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:33 AM   #11
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
Yeah, you lost a lot of sites after Geocities wiped out. I definitely miss Mikey's, but Stealthy Stories is still going strong and is a good place for fanfiction writers and other fans to come together. That and TMNT-L are the only other fansites I go to besides this one. Other than that, I usually just go to FF.Net for my fan fiction fix when I feel like it.

And as others said, with the advent of Facebook and even Tumblr, you don't really need fansites anymore because you can just make groups on those sites. I also liked GreenWillow's site too.
Replacing fansites with social media is a joke.

At a fansite you:

*Share your fandom with other people, and let them write in the guestbook.

At social media, you start a fangroup. But after a while, as more people join, the discussion suddenly moves focus to topics like "Who knows who?".

Today, places like Deviantart may be the best things if you want to share more than just fanfiction.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:18 AM   #12
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

True, but that's the way things are now and I doubt fan sites will pop up again because of it and how there aren't very many places to host it.

I don't go to Deviantart, but I do like FF.Net and have often chatted with people from there about stories and ideas.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:41 AM   #13
Vegita-San
Emperor

My Site, Ninja Turtles Network, had the pleasure of being one of the first turtle fansites to exist...even before the official site came about.

It had a random section, with turtle info from various media (like a Married with Children ref, to a Family Matters spotting), and was the first to seek out crew members from the various series and do text, later phone interviews with them.

Eventually, the old show ended it's run, and tmnt entered a dry spell, and there was no real reason to keep it going.

by the time 2003 came along, a dozen other sites had popped up, and where able to do a far better job at not only making the site look professional, but actually get and keep the contacts needed to do proper info updates.

My little site eventually got out dated, and ivey took over tmnt -l with the tmnt-l.com website (Remember when everyone thought I was nuts moving the mailing list to a message board of all things? ;o) ).......and now the memory of what it was is all but forgotten in tmnt lore.

But, I accomplished what I wanted to set out, so I'm happy with the result. and it's nice to know a few people still remember it.

I don't have the skills to re invent it or the patience to make it a message board like this one.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:39 PM   #14
Overlord

Fansites were among the best things for TMNT during the late-1990's and early-2000's, when everything else had ended.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:47 PM   #15
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I ran the '87 and 23K TMNT episode guides over at TVtome and TVRage, both of which have long been deactivated.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

My old site still lives, in some condition:
http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/tmnt/

Remember we'd all have guestbooks, and we'd sign them? All of those seem to be shut down.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #17
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
My old site still lives, in some condition:
http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/tmnt/.
Great to see it still exist.